Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Paracelsus posted:

Probably a subjugation squad who went mad either from exposure to the flame or from falling into despair from seeing some truly heinous poo poo.

I mean, the entire point behind the Flame of Frenzy is that it both incites madness in the user and in the target. So. More Flame of Frenzy = More Crazy People = More Flame of Frenzy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Gearhead posted:

I mean, the entire point behind the Flame of Frenzy is that it both incites madness in the user and in the target. So. More Flame of Frenzy = More Crazy People = More Flame of Frenzy

That's part of it, but it also seems like it can arise when there aren't clear sources of the madness, like the troops near the peak of Mr Gelmir. The entire path leading up to them is a complete charnel house, both of the enemy and their own side. The flame supporters talk about how the world is irreparably broken and ending it is better than letting it continue, and the Gelmir troops could come to that line of thinking based on their experiences and thus open themselves to the Flame.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Volte posted:

I just checked out Elden Ring's HDR and it looked fine to me, and my monitor barely has enough peak brightness to make HDR worth it in the first place. Did you calibrate the HDR from the in-game menu?

I went to take a photo of the hosed up HDR with my phone (it definitely was way outside the limits of what the calibration sliders in-game could correct) and inexplicably THIS time I was able to get it to turn on correctly. Something about changing to fullscreen-exclusive and toggling HDR immediately from startup at the title menu must have knocked loose whatever moth was stuck in the gears.

Anyway, I killed the boss at Volcano Manor and all the NPCs left. I didn't really want to do any of what seemed like evil "go murder this guy" quests, did I miss anything important or particularly cool?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Paracelsus posted:

That's part of it, but it also seems like it can arise when there aren't clear sources of the madness, like the troops near the peak of Mr Gelmir. The entire path leading up to them is a complete charnel house, both of the enemy and their own side. The flame supporters talk about how the world is irreparably broken and ending it is better than letting it continue, and the Gelmir troops could come to that line of thinking based on their experiences and thus open themselves to the Flame.

I like the bit of environmental storytelling on Mt. Gelmir that the Leyndell troops get more and more deranged the closer you get to the summit. At the bottom, they're still fighting on against the abductor virgins, halfway up they're maybe eating the dead, and at the top where presumably the fighting was the fiercest they've gone Frenzy Flame-raving mad.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Scoss posted:

I went to take a photo of the hosed up HDR with my phone (it definitely was way outside the limits of what the calibration sliders in-game could correct) and inexplicably THIS time I was able to get it to turn on correctly. Something about changing to fullscreen-exclusive and toggling HDR immediately from startup at the title menu must have knocked loose whatever moth was stuck in the gears.

Anyway, I killed the boss at Volcano Manor and all the NPCs left. I didn't really want to do any of what seemed like evil "go murder this guy" quests, did I miss anything important or particularly cool?

Some of the people you murder have cool or good armor, and what's a little murder in the pursuit of fashion really?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

a kitten posted:

Some of the people you murder have cool or good armor, and what's a little murder in the pursuit of fashion really?

Plus that Rileigh the Idle guy is a dick.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Scoss posted:

I haven't played since I beat it on release, but this used to happen to me ALL the time. If HDR was all messed when I booted the game I would have to toggle it off and back on a few times using the Windows HDR shortcut (start + alt + b) until it looked normal. Alt-tabbing would also regularly break HDR and I'd have to do the same thing to fix it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
We're watching you, scum.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Darth Nat posted:

I like the bit of environmental storytelling on Mt. Gelmir that the Leyndell troops get more and more deranged the closer you get to the summit. At the bottom, they're still fighting on against the abductor virgins, halfway up they're maybe eating the dead, and at the top where presumably the fighting was the fiercest they've gone Frenzy Flame-raving mad.

i like to think they went mad trying to figure out how to operate the jar cannon

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Haven't played since May and am now replaying. Looks like they fixed Ranni's storyline show she actually shows up even if you''ve triggered the festival. First time I played it Ranni wasn't in her tower because I had triggered the festival, so didn't even know she was a character you could interact with until hearing about her from other players and hunting down why I wasn't seeing her (she shows up afterwards, but if you don't know she's supposed to be there you wouldn't know to go back). . Can't imagine how many other players never went through her storyline because of that. Which is crazy considering how integral she is to the main plot, not to mention being arguably the best story in the game (and possibly in any From game).

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 5, 2022

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

We're watching you, scum.

lol

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Nickoten posted:

If you want a person's reading of the game I don't have anything, but I have been organizing various sources of info by topic in case that's helpful to you here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Bf0I0tuBOnWf-_p_tgiGob4Ck1jnxrybRxffk2-e9FM/edit?usp=sharing. It's still incomplete as I haven't sorted all the weapons, accessories and key items yet, but a lot of stuff is in there.

Was skimming old posts and holy crap what a fantastic resource. Great way for someone like me who enjoys piecing the story together yet can't track down every item.

Thanks!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Something I'm confused about in the Rennala encounter regarding Ranni.

So in the beginning of the second phase of Rennala's fight, Ranni seems to appear basically saying back off killing my mother. Yet when you meet her in her tower she doesn't seem to be aware that you're the same person who just tried to off her mom. Why is that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

So in the beginning of the second phase of Rennala's fight, Ranni seems to appear basically saying back off killing my mother. Yet when you meet her in her tower she doesn't seem to be aware that you're the same person who just tried to off her mom. Why is that?

She's an expert in magical traps. The 'Ranni' you see when you try to kill Rennala is a sophisticated automated defence system.

You and Seluvis find this out the hard way if you're stupid/depraved enough to actually try feeding her his date-rape drug rather than just pocketing the reward he was daft enough to give you up-front.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

theblackw0lf posted:

The going theory is that Ranni's voice there is basically a recording attached to a projection of Rennala at her prime, that Ranni placed as a trap to protect her mother from people seeking the rune. This trap doesn't phone home or anything so Ranni isn't aware of anyone tripping it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Thanks for the replies, that makes sense.

So what are the most powerful weapons post nerfs? Been running around with a +7 Bloodhound Fang but wondering what else I should look at. Haven't entered the capitol yet.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 6, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

drat that went entirely over my head. I thought Rennala phase 2 was a reborn Rennala with the advantages of youth. Still kinda think that's cooler and more thematic tbh.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

theblackw0lf posted:

Thanks for the replies, that makes sense.

So what are the most powerful weapons post nerfs? Been running around with a +7 Bloodhound Fang but wondering what else I should look at. Haven't entered the capitol yet.

BHF is simple and reliable but there are things that are stronger. I've never really liked that thing, it has high AR and a good hitstun level but it doesn't have the sheer power of say chained Uchigatana Unsheathes. A few patches ago I would use Zweihander crouch pokes to trivialize all PvE and PvP, because it comes out faster than BHF and it has a higher hitstun. Crouch pokes got nerfed, but they remain viable for PvE.

Flame of the Redmanes is the new Hoarfrost stomp, in that it can basically trivialize the game. It does so much poise damage that you functionally lock enemies into stagger animations forever. That thing can be put on pretty much any weapon, but Misericorde is a top candidate for that.

Greatswords with Impaling Thrust/Piercing Fang are quite good now for PvE, and they are excellent at dealing with shielding enemies. Ordovis' Greatsword is extremely fun to use, start spinning up the L2 and you have instant hyperarmor. Darkmoon Greatsword is my favorite weapon though, it's great for learning boss punish windows because you want to use R2s, while also being very lenient on your spacing because the sword beams have a fair range.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I've been using Moonveil for like 40 hours at this point. Can anyone give me a non-spoilery hint to lead me towards other cool int-scaling weapons?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Scoss posted:

I've been using Moonveil for like 40 hours at this point. Can anyone give me a non-spoilery hint to lead me towards other cool int-scaling weapons?

Have you gone to the manor in Northwest Liurnia? That's very worth checking out, and leads to things that lead to things that lead to a couple really awesome Int weapons.

How much Strength do you have? If you want to be smart but also unga bunga, then seek out some bosses that use purple Gravity magic/abilities.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I feel pretty OP with a greatshield and Flame of the Redmanes Great Stars, and a poison/rot/bleed antspur to poke things from behind said shield when I just want to skip a fight but still get the runes. I could still be even more OP than this (Fallingstar Beast Jaw) but I'll admit I didn't expect it to be this strong

Scoss posted:

Climb around underground.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Welp, I hadn't visited Ranni in a while so I popped over to visit and Seluvius is dead and I think this other tower used to be sealed? It's open and now I'm in a totally new underground river area!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Scoss posted:

Welp, I hadn't visited Ranni in a while so I popped over to visit and Seluvius is dead and I think this other tower used to be sealed? It's open and now I'm in a totally new underground river area!

You are moving in exactly the right direction.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pick up the doll and talk to it repeatedly at the nearest site of grace. This is important.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

You are moving in exactly the right direction.

It's uncanny

edit - I assume we're both thinking of Wing of Astel?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

It's uncanny

edit - I assume we're both thinking of Wing of Astel?

There's another excellent Int weapon along that path, too - Ranni's engagement present.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Darth Walrus posted:

There's another excellent Int weapon along that path, too - Ranni's engagement present.

Seriously, outside of boss fights you can shift a few blue flasks to red once you have that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Shifting blue to red means less ice laser beam weapon arts though?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Last Celebration posted:

Shifting blue to red means less ice laser beam weapon arts though?

It only costs FP to buff the weapon for a duration (1 minute maybe?), and then while the buff is active all of your R2s lauch Freezing Pulse spells from Path of Exile.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
https://twitter.com/quendergeer/status/1599398399035707394

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I started a new character for my 2nd ever run since launch (#1 was pure str) I rushed 30 FTH so I could use the uhhh Cypher Pata, the cool holy claws.

Anyway, they kind of suck for the amount of runes investment it took to wield them and now I'm stuck at 10 vit and everything 2 shots me! Hard mode baby!!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I never bothered with the Leyendell sewers on my first run, which was probably for the best but man, the descent down into the catacombs is probably one of the best bits of atmospheric story moments in the game, but the diegetic music does a lot in that regard. And then you hit the bottom and it’s easily Melenia’s most impassioned voice acting as she begs you to not do the thing, please for the love of god, this world might be poo poo but there’s still life, there’s still hope, don’t do it man.

Kinda wanna see the world burn but I just don’t have the heart to walk through the door. At least before beating Malenia…

totempoleman
Jan 20, 2005

Make a jazz note here.
https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1600128723533037571?cxt=HHwWhoCwkZSm5rQsAAAA

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
E: Beaten!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Elden Ring is back baby

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

yuck. pvp

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Here's hoping it includes PVE content as well. Colosseums seem like they offer the opportunity for many different kinds of battle.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
just looking at the short clip on the tweet, looks like there are co-op missions (?) of a sort

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

lame, just pvp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
From some of the promo shots it looks like there made be some modes where you can use spirit ashes...

shakes violently at the thought of having to fight Tiche