Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

:cb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

honestly a bit perplexed that there’s not (afaik) a cottage industry of shell companies called An Ethical Source or Sustainable Produce so that everyone else can just say “All our palm oil is from an ethical source™!” with even less effort

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this dude sucks https://twitter.com/isaacfortexas/status/1595998748651720704

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mola Yam posted:

[Biosphere Collapse] We can solve it by building machines and making money.

Last week's issue of The New Yorker was "The Climate Issue" and this was the broad takeaway.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I think some part of the problem is that even people making the propaganda inside the machine that mulches humanity to make dollars have started to buy their own bullshit a little bit. Consequences have failed to materialize for the excesses of the elite (especially the American elite) so many times that no small number of politicians and businessmen actually, truly believe the prosperity gospel line that wealth is God's way of communicating with humanity. So people who theoretically have some power to sway discourse and are aware that climate change is real and could theoretically negatively impact them drift along because there was never a nuclear exchange in the Cold War, we (mostly) stopped producing CFCs before the ozone tore all the way open and cooked us all, and even now the raging pandemics respond reasonably well to the insanely-expensive treatments mostly limited to the wealthy.

The harsh lesson about not believing in consequences is that it works really well up until it suddenly doesn't. I'm not even going to say it's theoretically impossible to perform some sort of 11th hour save (again, mostly limited to the wealthy), by pouring an obscene amount of resources into surviving some +5C hellworld and decarbonizing with magic tech we don't have yet...but I gotta say the odds don't look good when that outcome has to overcome the Bruiser Brothers of Entropy: Physics, and Capitalism. Things look pretty grim for both humanity and most of the remaining species stuck with us on our magical journey through the cosmos, the ones we haven't killed (yet)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Heretic! The Market will always provide!

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I think some part of the problem is that even people making the propaganda inside the machine that mulches humanity to make dollars have started to buy their own bullshit a little bit. Consequences have failed to materialize for the excesses of the elite (especially the American elite) so many times that no small number of politicians and businessmen actually, truly believe the prosperity gospel line that wealth is God's way of communicating with humanity. So people who theoretically have some power to sway discourse and are aware that climate change is real and could theoretically negatively impact them drift along because there was never a nuclear exchange in the Cold War, we (mostly) stopped producing CFCs before the ozone tore all the way open and cooked us all, and even now the raging pandemics respond reasonably well to the insanely-expensive treatments mostly limited to the wealthy.

The harsh lesson about not believing in consequences is that it works really well up until it suddenly doesn't. I'm not even going to say it's theoretically impossible to perform some sort of 11th hour save (again, mostly limited to the wealthy), by pouring an obscene amount of resources into surviving some +5C hellworld and decarbonizing with magic tech we don't have yet...but I gotta say the odds don't look good when that outcome has to overcome the Bruiser Brothers of Entropy: Physics, and Capitalism. Things look pretty grim for both humanity and most of the remaining species stuck with us on our magical journey through the cosmos, the ones we haven't killed (yet)

In my experience this attitude is true of most Americans I talk to. Even people disgusted at how the wealthy live aren't interested in giving up anything themselves. That we could be doing so much (somewhat irreversible) damage on a global scale just can't be true. If you push em enough you'll discover its fine if we commit a climate genocide half a world away, because little Timmy should enjoy the good life America promised him.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Asking individuals to sacrifice their lifestyles constantly is incredibly draining and annoying when the factory 20 miles away outputs more CO2 in a week than you could in a year, and the government doesn’t give a poo poo about the factory.

Or the watering restrictions on lawns (I wouldn't say I like lawns, but I digress) and shorter showers for the individual, but the golf course down the road gets to use 200,000,000 gallons of water a year so that some rich old assholes can hit a white ball into a hole in the ground.

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Dec 5, 2022

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Lol I found out most golf courses also have insanely low property taxes so they just don't contribute poo poo all to local economy on top of the water usage and weed killers n poo poo.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

Lol I found out most golf courses also have insanely low property taxes so they just don't contribute poo poo all to local economy on top of the water usage and weed killers n poo poo.

Please put a brick in your toilet. The farmer that grows alfalfa needs that water.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I put a brick in my toilet every drat morning

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
related lol:

Amy Poehler, David Geffen Scolded by Beverly Hills for Wasting Water

"In an email to the Times, Geffen said he has sought permission from the city to drill a well on his property, which would allow him to “access the underground river that flows beneath my home instead of water from the city. … That water is not potable and simply flows into the ocean and is wasted.”

"Palmer said in an email to The Times that a leaking pipe was to blame, and appealed. He also complained that the state has misallocated resources, writing, “Wouldn’t you be willing to pay a little more for walnuts and pistachios than see your lawn and landscaping go dead?”

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

FlapYoJacks posted:

Please put a brick in your toilet. The farmer that grows alfalfa needs that water.

where’s that alfalfa going again?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mawarannahr posted:

where’s that alfalfa going again?

It couldn't be to a sadistic theocracy that tortures journalists and murders them and is working on genociding their neighbors.

*presses finger to ear* oh? oh.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

that's just rolling coal, it's nothing new

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

this noxious parasite will flee texas along with all the other vermin long before it reaches the 2+ celsius "high-carbon/high-energy" state they love so much.

they and their families should be forced to stay so they can reap the rewards of their fossil fueled lifestyle

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

justice isn’t to be expected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTrI32crBRw

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Tekne posted:

this noxious parasite will flee texas along with all the other vermin long before it reaches the 2+ celsius "high-carbon/high-energy" state they love so much.

they and their families should be forced to stay so they can reap the rewards of their fossil fueled lifestyle
vengeance belongs to the lord

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
So, how is the planet doing? Anything I should prepare for? The last couple pages seem a bit dire

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ham Cheeks posted:

So, how is the planet doing?

Democrats made it feel better again

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Microplastics posted:

Democrats made it feel better again

thank you Microplastics

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Bees used to be everywhere, but now I'm lucky to see 1 or 2 over summer. Also bugs, fewer bugs

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

FlapYoJacks posted:

Asking individuals to sacrifice their lifestyles constantly is incredibly draining and annoying when the factory 20 miles away outputs more CO2 in a week than you could in a year, and the government doesn’t give a poo poo about the factory.

Or the watering restrictions on lawns (I wouldn't say I like lawns, but I digress) and shorter showers for the individual, but the golf course down the road gets to use 200,000,000 gallons of water a year so that some rich old assholes can hit a white ball into a hole in the ground.

Oh I totally agree, from a justice and equity perspective it's hosed. But the message that the problem is all of us (the way we all live) is important to me. Drawing a circle around some group of people and blaming them is everybody's go to, but nobody includes themselves in that circle. As you're aware, meaningful action regarding preserving the climate and biosphere would inherently mean the way of life we currently enjoy (where I live anyway) cannot continue.

Anyway HAVE YOU STARTED YOUR CHRISTMAS SHOPPING YET HOW ABOUT THOSE SUPERBOWL COMMERCIALS

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ham Cheeks posted:

So, how is the planet doing? Anything I should prepare for? The last couple pages seem a bit dire

I'm thinkin Arby's

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I'm thinkin Arby's

Arby's makes me gassy, but thank you Rectal Death Adept

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ham Cheeks posted:

thank you Microplastics
One word: microplastics

Kanye West 2024
Dec 2, 2022

a strange fowl posted:

vengeance belongs to the lord

says who

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Thanks for linking this! It's great.
"They took everything so now let's loving eat them." Such a good line.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

BRJurgis posted:

Oh I totally agree, from a justice and equity perspective it's hosed. But the message that the problem is all of us (the way we all live) is important to me. Drawing a circle around some group of people and blaming them is everybody's go to, but nobody includes themselves in that circle. As you're aware, meaningful action regarding preserving the climate and biosphere would inherently mean the way of life we currently enjoy (where I live anyway) cannot continue.

on the bright side, the way of life you currently enjoy will end regardless

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i was just in an off the grid cabin for the weekend for a nice lil getaway. unfortunately there was a heat snap and temps rose to about 37-39C… at a certain point all the insects disappeared and all the birds were quiet for a couple of hours. very eerie looking into the future

but yeh, poo poo was unbearable and would not recommend

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

FlapYoJacks posted:

Woah woah

My factory doesn't generate carbon

It just consumes the power of 2,250 houses to grow weed worse than you would outside for free.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i checked with the ipcc and its right there on page 374 weed's ok

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Doooooooooooooooooom

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

MightyBigMinus posted:

i checked with the ipcc and its right there on page 374 weed's ok

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I wish weed worked for me the way it does for other people. It just makes my mind race and keeps me up all night. But that's ok, I'll keep smoking that garbage

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Just a Moron posted:

I wish weed worked for me the way it does for other people. It just makes my mind race and keeps me up all night. But that's ok, I'll keep smoking that garbage

see if you can find higher cbd to thc ratio. i have friends that love 20:1 cbd:thc, but that can be harder to find

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1600258784315592704
:wth:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Unless posted:

see if you can find higher cbd to thc ratio. i have friends that love 20:1 cbd:thc, but that can be harder to find

I'll ask for that next time I'm at the store. It seems like everything's so potent these days! Gettimg my tolerance up finally got me over the anxiety spirals, but I still feel like an embodiment of the "it makes me stupid faster" comic.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Countdown to when the U.S. pulls out of the U.N. and/or assassinate or coup this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Just a Moron posted:

no better way to do research baybeeeee B)