Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Drakes posted:

Got zealot to 30 and decided to start working on a psyker, had a 4+1 game just now. Still hectic even with the extra body.

Warp charge mechanic feels kinda iffy/annoying to me, cripples the flow of things for me at least at lower levels. Would be cool if it had one of these changes :
-Psychic Communion being a default part of the class
-Scale down charge time /peril cost for trash slightly
-Increase duration of the warp charge buff.

Yeah, warp charge just kinda doesn't work as it stands right now. Intentionally generating them is too much of a hassle/disruption, and the payoff is plain not worth it. +12% to damage may sound good on paper, but in practice it often doesn't change the breakpoints for hits to kill, and you'll probably lose out on more damage fishing for charges rather than using your weapons normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly I think the whole design for the psyker class is weird- why do they have guns if all their psychic stuff keys off of a staff, so all you get is a head pop that doesn't scale up in damage with difficulty.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

field balm posted:

I wish there was a way to opt out of grims. The reward isn't worth it and it's not really fun, and it's always elf players that run ahead and get downed that wanna pick them up. It's one of the mechanics I was really hoping they didn't carry over.

I'd be fine with it if I understood how corruption worked in this game (quod non). One person has 3/4th of their health bars corrupted, someone else is only at 1/3rd, and I'm just sitting there going ???. As far as I know, curse resistance isn't a thing in this game, right?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I'd be fine with it if I understood how corruption worked in this game (quod non). One person has 3/4th of their health bars corrupted, someone else is only at 1/3rd, and I'm just sitting there going ???. As far as I know, curse resistance isn't a thing in this game, right?

That's what the "Wounds" stat is for. Basically, your healthbar is segmented into a number of parts equal to your number of Wounds (usually 3, though Ogryns have more by default). Each time you get downed, one of those segments is filled up with corruption. If your last segment is corrupted, the next time you get downed you'll die outright. Additionally, things like holding grimoires, being close to a daemonhost, or touching the nurgle beast vomit can also cause corruption directly.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

to the person who was theorizing that mashing quickplay might be the reason you're not getting weekly mission results for things, i can definitively confirm that's not the case. i quickplayed something where we picked up a bunch of scriptures, and i manually selected a mission where we picked up a bunch of scriptures, and i'm sitting at 0/12 scriptures collected for this week.

I had an 'interesting' bug (?) where the game decided to reset every single one of my contracts for no reason, wiping out 100% of my progress

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

There is a curio bonus for it, but in typical Fatshark fashion its confusing. There is a bonus with "X% Corruption Resistance" and one with "X% Corruption Resistance (Grimoire)" and the first one does nothing for grimoire corruption, only corruption you take from getting hit / plaguebeast slime while the other only works on corruption from grimoires.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks for the explanations, looks like my understanding of corruption was reasonably accurate after all. I haven't seen the corruption resistance bonus yet, though I do make sure to have a +1 Wound curio equipped as soon as possible on every character. I'm not sure if it actually makes you tankier (I guess not since your total health stays the same?), but it definitely helps with corruption management.

e: although at first glance it might seem bad to have more wounds

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks for the explanations, looks like my understanding of corruption was reasonably accurate after all. I haven't seen the corruption resistance bonus yet, though I do make sure to have a +1 Wound curio equipped as soon as possible on every character. I'm not sure if it actually makes you tankier (I guess not since your total health stays the same?), but it definitely helps with corruption management.

Yeah it's a bit weird because you have the same amount of health just more pips of it, so it lets you go down more times without dying. Definitely good to have extras if you're an Ogryn since you'll probably be the one pulling people up more often than not.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

explosivo posted:

Yeah it's a bit weird because you have the same amount of health just more pips of it, so it lets you go down more times without dying. Definitely good to have extras if you're an Ogryn since you'll probably be the one pulling people up more often than not.

It's kind of a weird naming because "Wounds" is a tabletop term, not one that had been in the game before, and there's a lot more game-only 40k fans compared to Fantasy. It makes sense in the context of "otherwise lethal hit that is shrugged off" in tabletop but here I can see it being confusing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Honestly I think the whole design for the psyker class is weird- why do they have guns if all their psychic stuff keys off of a staff, so all you get is a head pop that doesn't scale up in damage with difficulty.

The guns are there to fill up the store instead of getting staff rolls

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's kind of a weird naming because "Wounds" is a tabletop term, not one that had been in the game before, and there's a lot more game-only 40k fans compared to Fantasy. It makes sense in the context of "otherwise lethal hit that is shrugged off" in tabletop but here I can see it being confusing.

I think it makes sense but it's something the player shouldn't have had to figure out themselves. Should have been in the tutorial.

Estel
May 4, 2010
I like having lots of +wound on my Ogryn because most of the time playing with pubs I'm the one that is going to fall when I have to go and save someone that overextended and it's getting shredded by lasers. That way when I'm back up I still have most of my life intact.

With good teammates +Toughness is a lot better.

Edit: I'm not sure but I think the game explains about Wounds in one of the 2 tutorials after the prologue.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Feels like I'm not up to date on modern shooters, what's even the point of the weapon accessories? Nobody are even gonna notice them, they're so tiny!

Edit: What's people's favourite Accatran MK?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

VId goes brrrrr

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Feels like I'm not up to date on modern shooters, what's even the point of the weapon accessories? Nobody are even gonna notice them, they're so tiny!

some of them are visible in first person view and there's a limited number of possible cosmetics where that's true

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

S.J. posted:

And don't forget you can hold the attack button after you push to do a follow up attack.
I for one did forget this, thanks for the reminder, I'm passing it on!

Mothmansplainer posted:

Has anyone had the prisoner garb top piece disappear from their cosmetic inventory after equipping a new cosmetic in that slot? I thought this was intentional at first, but the prisoner pants are still in my cosmetic inventory. :shrug:
Yes

It's nice on psyker not needing ammo once you have some staves. I loved lightning staff but the flamethrower one I have can hold an entire horde back solo as long as I'm at a decent choke point.
The only one I haven't tried yet is the fireball one.

Sadly I just found out my ram is throwing errors so I'm not playing until some new ram gets shipped, I can't have those 1's and 0's flipping on me.
I was ready to start some new characters too.

I haven't gotten sick of German sounding psyker yet, a pub told me it sounds like skeletor.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
voidstrike isn't so much a fireball as it is a railgun

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't see how "you lose a bar of health every time you go down" and "wounds splits your bars of health up" is confusing at all.

You have numbers next to your health, you can go change this stuff about at will. Do you need the game to actually scream it at you? It seemed pretty self explanatory. I'm also sure it mentions corruption in the tutorial, but tbh it's been a while.

On a separate note, the only thing I need to do on the Sharpshooter now is grind loot and Complete missions on heresy before I get the rebreather.

The hardest one to get by far was the "don't get hit by anything in melee" one and even then I cheesed it because the game crashed as i was getting onto the dropship after not getting hit for a whole level. The sharpshooter one is easy, take the talent that highlights shooters and use the charge lasgun. The ammo one is harder but i got that legit with the shotgun, after finishing a 100% accuracy mission with the plasma gun and it had precisely 1 shot left.

The shotgun works pretty fine because you just fire into hordes and only load up your alt fire when you get low on ammo for the gigantic spread. The biggest problem is having a pub who won't prioritize ranged specials or people shooting elites right as you hit the dropship.

Or shooting a teammate who decided to jump in front of you. That constantly annoys me. There is almost no reason you should have to make someone waste ammo by moving in front of them, its just kill greed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

dogstile posted:

I don't see how "you lose a bar of health every time you go down" and "wounds splits your bars of health up" is confusing at all.

You have numbers next to your health, you can go change this stuff about at will. Do you need the game to actually scream it at you? It seemed pretty self explanatory.

Because "wound" isn't a good term for that. You get "wounded" every time you get shot in the face by a scab gunner, what does that even mean? Again as a tabletop convention it makes sense because the implication is that anything that gets through your armor/dodging ability/thick mushroom green skin is probably going to kill you, but in a game where you're constantly taking health damage it's a bit odd. "+1 revive" or "+1 down" is closer to normal game terminology than "+1 wounds".

I mean I like it, I dig that they're bringing tabletop conventions into the game, I just don't begrudge players that don't know them.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kith posted:

The Energized status is "spent" doing two things - increasing damage and increasing cleave. Ignoring enemy mass means you don't have to "spend" as much of it to increase cleave, meaning that you should be able to keep it going for longer with Brutal Momentum active. At least, that's how it was explained to me by someone who claimed to be a dataminer.

If that's bullshit, then at least it's handy for clearing out swarms of Poxwalkers so you don't have to constantly re-ignite it after the first 2-3 hits. Use the initial empowered attacks to pop a head and then you can stay stuck in and don't have to back off to turn your sword back on unless something big shows up.

Is there a manual anywhere for all of this crap? Or what enemies are of what type? Or what any of these terms on these item mean?

If there isn't, can some charitable goon(s) write an OP that covers it? I'm completely at a loss as to what any of this poo poo is supposed to do.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

dogstile posted:

You have numbers next to your health, you can go change this stuff about at will. Do you need the game to actually scream it at you? It seemed pretty self explanatory. I'm also sure it mentions corruption in the tutorial, but tbh it's been a while.

So does more "Wounds" mean you get less actual numerical HP corrupted/reserved per down, and you can go down more before you die, because you have more "pips" ? Does it also affect how long grims take to corrupt you?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

CODChimera posted:

what does rending do? i just got a bolter with it and it sounds promising
Rending lowers enemy armor I think? I've got a Bolter with rending 3 on it and it straight up halves the amounts of shots needed (from ~12 to 6) to take down a Crusher. It's the best blessing you can get on a Bolter by far.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yeah thinking back on it, wounds might have been explained when the servitor downs you in the tutorial. I don't remember.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fishstick posted:

So does more "Wounds" mean you get less actual numerical HP corrupted/reserved per down, and you can go down more before you die, because you have more "pips" ? Does it also affect how long grims take to corrupt you?

It breaks up your current bar into more chunks, and every time you go down one chunk gets corrupted. If you get corruption through a different means and it consumes the entire chunk then you lose one chance to get revived. Grims I believe work on a fixed percent of your whole bar and then tick down a fixed amount per second over time.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

tehinternet posted:

You might want to reevaluate why you’re playing if you need a *reason* to play and are stanning loot boxes of all things. Loot boxes are not fun, they’re low effort catnip to suck people in.

I think getting 15 items in a shop that you don’t have to invest time or money into is a solid deal —by comparison—and way more respectful of the player’s time than loot boxes are (even though the one hour timer isn’t that respectful of player time, it sure beats having to collect McGuffins for gamble boxes).

Basically, play to have fun, if you’re not playing to have fun, it’s either a job you’re not getting paid for or the beginning of a Problem.

Sorry if I come off as salty, the never ending engagement treadmill is the worst trend in gaming IMO and encourages really unhealthy habits — I loathe it and didn’t mean it if it came off as focused at you.

I swear people can't read.

I say I hate the store rotation.

Goons: "Why are you defending loot boxes????"

What the actual gently caress.

Rotating store being trash and having a very limited variety of items is poo poo. It has NOTHING to do with lootboxes.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

There are like, four hobbyist threads I follow on these forums that really seem hellbent on using the least charitable interpretation of any opinion so they can score epic owns, I don't understand it

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Store STINKS! Let us craft Greys of unlocked items

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

There are like, four hobbyist threads I follow on these forums that really seem hellbent on using the least charitable interpretation of any opinion so they can score epic owns, I don't understand it

It's basically the twitter model of argument: reduce an opponent's argument to it's worst possible interpretation, then attack that. Because it's way more exciting to attack, 'this guy says lootboxes are great' than it is to attack, 'I'm dissatisfied with the way this particular subsystem is implemented.'

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i will defend loot boxes

the way they work is you throw the box at the heretic and their head goes splat and then sometimes you get loot and that's good

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah. Also I'm not saying that guy went for an epic own, they were respectful about it. I just get frustrated when I have a tepid take and get dunked on for an opinion I didn't even have.

Wrt playing a game because it's fun and not because you have a reward incentive - I agree but there are layers to those kinds of things. Yes, you should play a game because it's inherently fun, I agree. But the game's design should still bake rewards into what you're doing. You should play a level because you like playing levels, and you should always get a random drop at the end because that is fun and makes you excited to play another level. The RPG system in this game exists as an incentive to play on top of just having a good time, and it feels bad when RNG decides you're not going to engage with that after a session.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fishstick posted:

Yes, it means you get less numerical hp lost per down. If you have 4 wounds, you lose 50hp per down. If you have 3, you have 67ish that you lose per down.

Grim's take the same amount of time to corrupt you, because that value is numerical. This has nothing to do with the amount of wounds you have.

E: Honestly, I think they just need to put grims and enemies that damage you in the meat grinder.

While i'm at it:

CuddleCryptid posted:

Because "wound" isn't a good term for that. You get "wounded" every time you get shot in the face by a scab gunner, what does that even mean? Again as a tabletop convention it makes sense because the implication is that anything that gets through your armor/dodging ability/thick mushroom green skin is probably going to kill you, but in a game where you're constantly taking health damage it's a bit odd. "+1 revive" or "+1 down" is closer to normal game terminology than "+1 wounds".

I mean I like it, I dig that they're bringing tabletop conventions into the game, I just don't begrudge players that don't know them.

You actually just pointed out why its different. Health damage is not "a wound". Two different terms.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 6, 2022

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Corruption resistance is a thing. It shows up as a secondary stat on Curios.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

i will defend loot boxes

the way they work is you throw the box at the heretic and their head goes splat and then sometimes you get loot and that's good

I take the level 10 ogryn perk to add bonus loot to the box

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Somewhat unusually for a game I play with friends while on voice chat, I leave the music on for this one, the soundtrack is actually pretty drat good and I really feel like they took a bunch of cues from the Mechanicus OST, because goddamn is that a good soundtrack.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 6, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I take the level 10 ogryn perk to add bonus loot to the box

I'm glad SOMEONE around here understands how to minmax

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I got a revolver with a perk which lets me still shoot whilst sprinting. John Marston coming through.

Any other guns get that perk or is it just the revolver?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I got a revolver with a perk which lets me still shoot whilst sprinting. John Marston coming through.

I've seen it on some other pistols, I think/assume it might only be the lighter weapons like that?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Pretty sure laspistol can get that too

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Fishstick posted:

Pretty sure laspistol can get that too

Staffs too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

After a week of absolutely zero loot drops, I got three in a row last night, including a really solid lasgun that sets enemies on fire with weak spot hits.

Buuuuuttttt...

Now my weekly contracts seem to be bugged. I got some fairly simple ones. Complete 25 missions, kill 1000 scab with ranged weapons, and kill 1000 dregs with melee weapons. Easy. Except the game stopped keeping track when I got to ~700 dregs and ~400 scab and 4 missions, and it would be cool if it would start keeping count again.

Welp.

The core gameplay is enjoyable enough that it's worth playing, but man, this really is just a beta. Lots of games, especially multiplayer games, advertise content that will release after the game itself, but I can't remember the last time I saw buttons marketed "coming soon" in a notionally complete game.