Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I cant believe a serial pendant that would argue over every minutea and possibility is taking the firm stance of "thats definitely not blood"

In fact while he did say he thinks its not blood, he also did say we cant be sure of that therefore he edited it out lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

"I'll edit it out in the event that it is gore, because we can't be sure that it isn't" is actually very on-brand for mlmp and I applaud him for being entirely consistent

I don't post gore. I have removed the images out of an abundance of caution and because even though it's almost certainly coolant, it could be jarring for someone who doesn't know what color extended life diesel coolants have been for the last couple decades. Someone who's only ever been around cars and light trucks like F-150s may never have seen red coolant before.

It is almost certainly red diesel coolant, which is among the most common colors used in numerous regions, including Russia. Red is most commonly used for extended life, older vehicles, and heavy duty vehicles that see a lot of use. It's also very good for cold climates.

Example: https://gazpromneft-oil.ru/en/products/cars/gazpromneft-antifriz

color-coding makes it easier to use without people getting confused and mixing up anti-freeze.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

CODChimera posted:

i can't believe that how badly the jet and truck were damaged is what people are fixated on

It really is madness. Not a word about Kiev and Washington trying to incite a nuclear war.

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1599989442080546819

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It’s one, maybe two bombers damaged. Hardly a thing to start nukes over; let’s not be alarmist.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
It's not the damage done but the willingness to do more.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Too bad don’t wage war

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
waiting for mlmp to the grab the hex colour from the photo and do image analysis on the scene lighting to definitively prove it was coolant

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1600069600745381888

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1600112329059958786

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also center of Donetsk got shelled again. A lot of people dead, so that's going to be dominating the Russian telegram for at least today.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

crepeface posted:

waiting for mlmp to the grab the hex colour from the photo and do image analysis on the scene lighting to definitively prove it was coolant

I thought it was transmission fluid as it's the exact colour of transmission fluid also.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Russia keeps oppressing Gherkins.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

I thought it was transmission fluid as it's the exact colour of transmission fluid also.

yeah could be that, as well.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Futanari Damacy posted:

It really is madness. Not a word about Kiev and Washington trying to incite a nuclear war.

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1599989442080546819

Dwarfs

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Dwarf fortress reference.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

I think it's worth digging into this for a few dozen pages at least. really get to the bottom of this

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
that wasn't blood

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

Hey FF do you have any statistics on number of guns destroyed and number of casualties caused by counterbattery fire in WW1?

You could find case studies, because artillery crews and guns lost are tracked, and there are studies of certain battles, but I haven’t seen anyone make a general study. Sounds like a good idea to pitch Brill for a monograph or chapter, they did a broad study of artillery generally in King of Battle: Artillery in World War I

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
Holy poo poo that fluid is either transmission fluid or anti-freeze not everything is gore

Some things are JUST RED

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think Ukraine’s bold attack on Croatia was even more audacious, as well as the several that have apparently crashed in various parts of Ukraine.

There’s an even better version - the Tu-143 which Ukraine has also crashed both by accident and on purpose:

“During the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine, Ukraine appeared to use them to spot Russian air defences and as ersatz cruise missile. On 29 June 2022, one Tu-143 carrying explosives was shot down in Kursk Oblast. “

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Seatbelts posted:

Holy poo poo that fluid is either transmission fluid or anti-freeze not everything is gore

Some things are JUST RED

dont post pomegranates here

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Seatbelts posted:

Some things are JUST RED

I mean, you clearly know your gore.

Seatbelts posted:

I know its getting wild out there (on the internet) but people are really just posting war footage on main like its liveleaks
(Ik removed)
This video contains several Russians getting cooked at close range so :nms: obviously

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Dixon Chisholm posted:

I mean, you clearly know your gore.

That was a post about how bad things have gotten on twitter but sure cry about it i only described a warning and spoiler tagged it but I guess some people are simple

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

shitbelts

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cool zone

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Seatbelts posted:

That was a post about how bad things have gotten on twitter but sure cry about it i only described a warning and spoiler tagged it but I guess some people are simple

:gb2gbs:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's piss.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
This IS the pissiest thread

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Seatbelts posted:

Some things are JUST RED

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
Thats not healthy

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm surprised the tu22m3 in service still retain the tail gun. Every other bomber including the tu95 ditched them decades ago.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

You could find case studies, because artillery crews and guns lost are tracked, and there are studies of certain battles, but I haven’t seen anyone make a general study. Sounds like a good idea to pitch Brill for a monograph or chapter, they did a broad study of artillery generally in King of Battle: Artillery in World War I

I am disappointed :(

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Futanari Damacy posted:

It's not the damage done but the willingness to do more.

russias bombing ukraine every day, ukraine bombing some bombers is no big deal. thats just war

assassinating dugin's daughter, hitting the crimea bridge, or russia hitting power stations were all vastly more escalatory than this

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

OctaMurk posted:

russias bombing ukraine every day, ukraine bombing some bombers is no big deal. thats just war

assassinating dugin's daughter, hitting the crimea bridge, or russia hitting power stations were all vastly more escalatory than this

It wasn't just any bomber tough; it was part of Russia's nuclear deterrent. If this strike had been wildly more successful than it was, I do see a scenario where things escalate.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I personally would sleep more soundly knowing these thugs aren't trying to trigger the actual Apocalypse.

16 months until the next Ukrainian election- is there any scenario where banning the other parties signifies confidence in keeping power by legitimate means?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

I am disappointed :(

Be the monograph you want to see in the world. I think you probably could get a submission out of it. The problem, and I'll defer to the actual working historians of CSPAM, is that while the records are there, you would have to compile them, discover patterns, turn that into a narrative etc. That's original research that people get excited about, but it means someone has to do it. There are enough publishers I think would turn out a volume, certainly a chapter in one, but all of the work remains to be done.

CB fires and tactics are also covered in Osprey's Artillery Tactics of WW1, and rumour has it they're going to put out a WW2 volume next year. Those Elite series books on tactics are great and sell well. I'd also check out the Routledge title British Artillery on the Western Front in the First World War. There might even be enough in there to start piecing together CB trends. Bailey discusses it at length. If you broaden out, there's literature on each element of it - the evolution of battery protection and camouflage, the increased size of the medical echelons of artillery units - by WW2 they each had at least one ambulance, the use of aerial reconnaissance for CB fires, flash spotting, sound ranging, German ground recce, that book Steel Wind gets into German CB methods, including the mix of HE and gas shells. Individual battle narratives usually include the CB efforts before and during the battle at length. For example, there is lots and lots of writing about the artillery "duels" and balance of guns leading up to Cambrai, Vimy etc.

It's all there just not in once place, if that makes sense.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Seatbelts posted:

shut up big idiot

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Futanari Damacy posted:

I personally would sleep more soundly knowing these thugs aren't trying to trigger the actual Apocalypse.

16 months until the next Ukrainian election- is there any scenario where banning the other parties signifies confidence in keeping power by legitimate means?

The rada/parliamentary election is in less than a year.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Freezer posted:

It wasn't just any bomber tough; it was part of Russia's nuclear deterrent. If this strike had been wildly more successful than it was, I do see a scenario where things escalate.

russia is using its strategic bombers to strike ukraine, so they're obviously military targets. the idea that hitting those bombers is a big risk of escalation is really silly imo

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Be the monograph you want to see in the world. I think you probably could get a submission out of it. The problem, and I'll defer to the actual working historians of CSPAM, is that while the records are there, you would have to compile them, discover patterns, turn that into a narrative etc. That's original research that people get excited about, but it means someone has to do it. There are enough publishers I think would turn out a volume, certainly a chapter in one, but all of the work remains to be done.

the worst kind of paper to write. paint by numbers rear end study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1599909743686225921?s=20&t=ARU2vl9enGJsFCulIFv0Lw

or maybe people just don't care as much anymore idk