Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah some things are hard but the struggle is part of the fun. What i really like about valheim is it rewards multiple styles of play if you have a group. Some people love just going on huge exploration trips and comes back loaded with rare mats.

and that's the one saving grace about the ice caves, is you can just do the one way trip and portal home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't know if I'm Doing It Wrong, but I just can't find enough Ice Caves to get any appreciable amount of the mats to use. I figured out trashing everything to get more red cloth/fenris hair but in combing every single ice patch on my world (not fully explored but pretty explored) I found maybe three caves?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There's probably more, they're pretty easy to miss, I slapped my world into the online map thing (https://valheim-map.world/) to find some islands with a high concentration of 'em.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if there's a way to remove Cobble paths? There's one diagonally across the area I set aside for farming and it's a massive pita. I tried the hoe and the pitchfork with and without a stone cutter w/ no luck.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Mistlands is definitely a little overtuned. Either the Gjall and Warriors need to be toned down a bit or the terrain needs to be flattened out a bit. I couldn't imagine doing it solo. The rewards for it are also kind of mediocre (the weapons are pretty cool at least). Also the Gjall fire damage doesn't even seem to be affected by fire resist mead. The atmosphere and the art design are cool, definitely wouldn't be diminished by having less annoying terrain though!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to remove Cobble paths? There's one diagonally across the area I set aside for farming and it's a massive pita. I tried the hoe and the pitchfork with and without a stone cutter w/ no luck.

Does just levelling/pathening it not work? It used to. Barring that try raising and dropping the terrain?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here happen to know the modding scene very well with this game? Looking for some help getting some custom textures to load on some of the weapons and armor and am having trouble with the naming conventions.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://twitter.com/Valheimgame/status/1600098681239179264

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

quote:

An important thing to note is that the Mistlands biome will only generate in areas you have not yet discovered. Therefore, if you have explored a lot of your world, you might be better off starting a new one in order to actually be able to travel to the Mistlands.

I think we've only explored 40% or so of our map, so I'm inclined not to start a new world; however, I recall someone talking about a mod that populates areas you've explored with new content. Does anyone have the name of that mod?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Sand Monster posted:

I think we've only explored 40% or so of our map, so I'm inclined not to start a new world; however, I recall someone talking about a mod that populates areas you've explored with new content. Does anyone have the name of that mod?
Upgrade World

It can also upgrade biome distribution (worlds generated after Mistlands update have more... Mistlands!), but it may also change some things in current/explored biomes (possibly damaging bases and such)

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 6, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dwesa posted:

Upgrade World

It can also upgrade biome distribution (worlds generated after Mistlands update have more... Mistlands!), but it may also change some things in current biomes (possibly damaging bases and such)
Awesome! This was the main thing I was worried about with my current world and updating it. I really like where I am and don't have the time to re-play everything, but wanted the increased mistlands amount. Might try it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Ravenfood posted:

Awesome! This was the main thing I was worried about with my current world and updating it. I really like where I am and don't have the time to re-play everything, but wanted the increased mistlands amount. Might try it.

Just as a warning, using the "upgrade mistlands_worldgen" command will probably destroy anything you have built out near the edges of the map. Backup your saves so if it does too much damage you can go back.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 6, 2022

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Old mistlands areas are going to be converted to something strange and anything built there will be destroyed

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Jusupov posted:

Old mistlands areas are going to be converted to something strange and anything built there will be destroyed

Right, but when I did worldgen I had my Bonemass and Moder portals go dark because they were pretty far away from spawn.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
This has to go down in history as one of the worst botched release schedules I have ever heard of. What are some other infamous examples of game devs letting their golden goose fly away?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Trickortreat posted:

This has to go down in history as one of the worst botched release schedules I have ever heard of. What are some other infamous examples of game devs letting their golden goose fly away?

We're talking about using a 3rd party mod to convert biomes to the new update after you've already explored them. This has nothing to do with the devs.

Edit: Missed the word "schedule". They were a small team, they're growing the team and working on stuff. You can't expect updates way faster than they're going. Go play something else and come back when this updates.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 6, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How so? The release schedule hasn't really been very unusual for a survivla-crafting game. I think Minecraft has added less content in ten years than Valheim in it's lifespan so far. I think the most unique thing about this game is just how hostile everyone has been to waiting. At launch I figured I'd revisit the game in a couple years once they add a couple more biomes and stuff, but seems like most players were expecting updates in 1% of that time and have never stopped being angry about it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Trickortreat posted:

how did they let it get away? they made a ton of money, turned a 3 man operation into an actual game studio, and have now released 2 significant content updates since February 2021, when the game released less than 2 years ago.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Instead of dropping out a trickle of updates or some kind of road map, they kind of disappeared off the face of the earth and waited until the majority of the players lost interest. Granted, I could be wrong, but even going from the low number of replies in this thread alone, I have a feeling the player base will never go back to what it was.

I could be wrong though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Trickortreat posted:

Please explain how a tiny studio that made a fuckton of money on a release and have used those funds to grow their studio has "botched it".

Trickortreat posted:

Instead of dropping out a trickle of updates or some kind of road map, they kind of disappeared off the face of the earth and waited until the majority of the players lost interest. Granted, I could be wrong, but even going from the low number of replies in this thread alone, I have a feeling the player base will never go back to what it was.

I could be wrong though.

How does a playerbase that has already paid continue to make money for the studio?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Less than 10 people made probably well over a hundred million dollars in profit on this game, but they totally hosed up by not releasing free updates! Now they will be destitute forever

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

Ravenfood posted:

Please explain how a tiny studio that made a fuckton of money on a release and have used those funds to grow their studio has "botched it".

The game obviously has a dedicated fan base, but look at how much it's dropped since peak.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Trickortreat posted:

The game obviously has a dedicated fan base, but look at how much it's dropped since peak.

Edit: also by searching on this, 45k people are currently playing, at 11:30 am est on a tuesday.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 6, 2022

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Trickortreat posted:

Why does it matter? They released an early access game, not a live service one.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Trickortreat posted:

Yes, and? They released an early access game, not some game-as-service where the money comes from continuous subscriptions.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The "they already made their money wtf do you want" argument is so juvenile. Yes, the devs could take their two hundred million dollars and never put one more dollar into the game if they wanted, and they sure will have owned all of us if they did.

But they could also take like 5% of those profits and invest it into the game and make some serious improvements beyond lovely empty ice caves and one biome in 2 full years of development. Everyone knows they aren't morally or legally obligated to do anything. Pointing this out doesn't make you sound smart. "But why would they do X when it doesn't maximize their profit?" isn't really a compelling question. If they are going to continue to develop and improve the game, one can reasonably expect that the effort would be somewhat congruous with the avalanche of money they've made already.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 6, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

No one is saying they need to maximize profit. The issue is that for once we saw some normal guys get ahead, and instead of just becoming another crunch based developer chewing people up and spitting them out, they have taken their time and done things right. so we are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as the game they provided already has given most of use way more than our moneys worth based on time invested.

everything past release is basically bonus content based one how much i played the game when it came out, and again when hearth and home released.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Im happy to see the update go live and cant wait to get out of work to play.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The "they already made their money wtf do you want" argument is so juvenile. Yes, the devs could take their two hundred million dollars and never put one more dollar into the game if they wanted, and they sure will have owned all of us if they did.

But they could also take like 5% of those profits and invest it into the game and make some serious improvements beyond lovely empty ice caves and one biome in 2 full years of development. Everyone knows they aren't morally or legally obligated to do anything. Pointing this out doesn't make you sound smart. "But why would they do X when it doesn't maximize their profit?" isn't really a compelling question. If they are going to continue to develop and improve the game, one can reasonably expect that the effort would be somewhat congruous with the avalanche of money they've made already.

Alternatively, they took the money they made, carefully grew their studio in way that is sustainable long-term to allow them to continue to work on both this as well as any other projects they do in the future. I'm not saying anything about profit maximization but instead studio longevity. And the person who started this discussion off framed it as "has anyone else hosed up a clear potential windfall as badly as these people" implying that they somehow took the money and utterly hosed up with it and set it on fire, rather than not continuing to develop the game as fast as some people would like.

Put this way, I would happily buy another game from them. I would look twice at an EA game based on past records, but also, they might not need to release in EA again either if they are set up as a studio.

Also I'm really glad to see a new spear tier in the game.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
jesus christ lol

i don't know how y'all didn't expect this. terraria released with less content than Valheim and took over half a year to add hard mode, two years for the crimson update etc. zomboid goes forever between updates. game development is hard and takes time even if you find success. people making the comparisons of like 'look how few people are playing the game now!!' are stupid, see: elden ring comparison.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I get that the devs made bank but the point is they could have dumped their money into development to keep the hype train rolling.

Then again, some goons defend micro transactions since it's "just good business". After all, Blizzard made hundreds of millions from loot boxes. I guess since the devs made money they are no longer subject to criticisms?

Minecraft took longer in between release cycles due to the sandbox nature of the game. I felt like majority of Valheim players hit a wall and instead of giving us actual updates we got home and hearth instead.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If your game isn't generating endless hype you've obviously made a poo poo game.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Literally no one is saying the things you're saying they are.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

everything past release is basically bonus content based one how much i played the game when it came out

That's the big one for me. I already got more than my money's worth. It's something you can play, complete, and have enjoyed your time with. No pressure to constantly play it, no need to check for updates dangling something you want or risk missing some limited dealio. I feel like a ton of games, especially of the co-op/craft/survival variety try to be this endless thing (or they really don't seem to know what to do with themselves besides dumping random stuff in a sandbox) and I like when a game has an end and is over.

Trickortreat posted:

I guess since the devs made money they are no longer subject to criticisms?

The issue is that "I want more of this game and I want it now!!" isn't really a criticism. It's basically people who don't really have a criticism since they really liked the game, vocally being upset that they can't play more yet.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 6, 2022

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Trickortreat posted:

I get that the devs made bank but the point is they could have dumped their money into development to keep the hype train rolling.

Then again, some goons defend micro transactions since it's "just good business". After all, Blizzard made hundreds of millions from loot boxes. I guess since the devs made money they are no longer subject to criticisms?

Minecraft took longer in between release cycles due to the sandbox nature of the game. I felt like majority of Valheim players hit a wall and instead of giving us actual updates we got home and hearth instead.

Valheim is a sandbox game, that's like 90% of the appeal

Khanstant posted:

The issue is that "I want more of this game and I want it now!!" isn't really a criticism. It's basically people who don't really have a criticism since they really liked the game, vocally being upset that they can't play more yet.

This is true but it's weird that this narrative has so completely taken hold of people for Valheim when literally every single indie hit took years to come out of early access, or was in development for many years before release (Stardew). I don't remember these complaints in the Factorio or Rimworld threads. Factorio took over 7 years to hit 1.0

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Trickortreat posted:

This really feels like you don't understand game development. They have reinvested money and have grown the studio, it's just not on the timeline that you seem to think is possible.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

just be glad they're not pulling an Ark and charging people to literal expansions while the game is still "early access" lol.

they can take as much time as they need. I can personally attest to the trials of assembling a steady, reliable team during a small studio's early access money boom and how you can be set back months because someone important ends up being weird and not a good fit, or has some other thing come up and now can't continue working for you, so now you have to replace them.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Valheim Plus has already updated for Mistlands: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/4

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

pik_d posted:

This really feels like you don't understand game development. They have reinvested money and have grown the studio, it's just not on the timeline that you seem to think is possible.

Not going to disagree with you there, I don't know much about game development. What I'm pointing out is the fact that they promised regular updates. They promised to keep players up to date with a road map for the features. Didn't they end up abandon the road map altogether and stopped communicating with the players?

I definitely got my value out of Valheim (500+ hours played), but I have no desire to support a company that thinks they don't have an obligation keep players updated on their early access game. Early access demands a level of transparency. Imagine trying to do a kickstarter with no updates at all. Obviously there are some players who won't care, but judging from the numbers on steam, I'd say the majority of people have lost interest in this game altogether due to lack of communication from the devs.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

That's the big one for me. I already got more than my money's worth. It's something you can play, complete, and have enjoyed your time with. No pressure to constantly play it, no need to check for updates dangling something you want or risk missing some limited dealio. I feel like a ton of games, especially of the co-op/craft/survival variety try to be this endless thing (or they really don't seem to know what to do with themselves besides dumping random stuff in a sandbox) and I like when a game has an end and is over.

"now" = "2 years"

Factorio sold 2 million copies in 7 years. Valheim sold 10 million in 18 months. No one is saying "give me Valheim but with AAA studo everything". Some people think the amount of content produced in 2 years doesn't really jive with a company that made $200,000,000

After 2 years I still can't hit a wolf that's slightly above me on a mountain with most weapons. The problem can be solved by mods that probably took a few hours to create. "You don't understand SW dev" is not an incantation that renders valid criticism null and void.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Burns posted:

Im happy to see the update go live and cant wait to get out of work to play.