Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Does Giant rear end Rental Place cater to folks with no junk in the trunk? :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Commander Keene posted:

Does Giant rear end Rental Place cater to folks with no junk in the trunk? :dadjoke:

It has the original Ghostbusters movie, yes.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

bit the bullet on elevator action returns and other than it being one of those annoying-rear end games where double-tap is run, it is still extremely fun

Assuming the input lag isn't noticeable then?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Alright I'm on case 2 of Great Ace Attorney Chronicles 2 and this asset reuse is getting ridiculous. In 5 hours I've seen maybe only two new characters and over eight returning characters. The second case is starting to feel like a redux/revisit of an earlier case from the first game which is kind of annoying me, hopefully it'll turn out interesting. The first case had a fun shake up defense wise but reused a lot of characters without any clear reason. Pretty sure both the capitals of Japan and England were densely populated by this point so how do we keep running into the exact same witnesses and jury members? Case 5 in the last game was annoying enough with reusing every single jury member for no apparent reason

More than ever this ace attorney feels one single game cut in half versus a sequel. Down to the soundtrack repeating a lot of the main songs, sequels are supposed to get an entirely different soundtrack in this franchise wtf, yes, even if the sequel has worse music it's still supposed to be new

I'll keep pushing through because I really am enjoying this entry but they better chill out with so much asset reuse. Having to create so many jury members does add more work to them I suppose but come on guys

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
iirc they had a significantly lower budget for game 2, if the context helps any

e: there are some extremely good brand new characters coming up though

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Case 3 might be one of the best cases in the series

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Great Ace Attorney has been kind of a slog for me to get through. I've picked away at cases since it came out pretty much, but it's not suited for playing large chunks at a time. The elaborate animations, especially on Soseki, were cool at first but have really grated on me with how often they play and how much they halt the gameplay to get through. For how much I love Ace Attorney, this game feels like less than the sum of its parts, and I've been pretty disappointed.

E: for reference, I'm also on Part 2, Case 2, in part because the spoilered character above might be the most annoying character in the entire series for me.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 6, 2022

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I was actually about to write that, I hate that character so much and it's upsetting me that he keeps reappearing. So annoying

Still just a blemish on an otherwise great game but I wrapped up the first game thinking this was a nearly perfect set of games. Silly me, all ace attorney games are deeply flawed in one way or another

Glad to hear that I have a really good case and more new characters to look forward to though. Still enjoying this more than any recent Ace Attorney entry for sure

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Case 2 is the one with Shamspeare right? Love that guy

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The mysteries themselves are really good, but I think what really took me out of the game were the couple instances where they basically shouted through the fourth wall at pivotal moments, "drat, wouldn't it be great if we had better forensic technology? We're only a couple years away, and if we had it, we'd have this case wrapped up already!" Even if it's important to the setting, It really struck me as taunting the player.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Waffle! posted:

Have you tried your local library?
No. I had no idea they would carry videogames. I've just been reading paper books and a little browse through their ebook comics. Thanks for the guidance!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Great Ace Attorney Chat: Case 2-2's placement is really baffling, even after beating both games I have no clue what's the point of the flashback. The plot does move forward after that case, however.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The deal about GAA is that on one hand it was clearly all meant to be a single story given how 2 is mostly dedicated to solve the lingering mysteries from 1, but the budget was probably abysmal cause 1 sold poorly. So like 2-2 was probably meant to be discarded ideas from 1 but they ended up reusing them to fill the game. It also explains the endgame structure.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ah yeah it's a shame to hear that it sold poorly, this entry made me realize just how sick I am of Phoenix and Athena and Apollo and Edgeworth and the loving blue badger etc etc. I think those characters have ran their course, but you know they're going to keep making games with them

Props to hobo phoenix for being the absolute worst thing to happen to the franchise

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

No. I had no idea they would carry videogames. I've just been reading paper books and a little browse through their ebook comics. Thanks for the guidance!

I've always wondered about this. I know most/all carry video games, but is it really within their budget to purchase and have in inventory every video game that comes out? Genuinely asking because sometimes the "rent it from your library" convo comes up and all I can think about is my small local library probably only having 20-30 games, and all are probably a generation or two old.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Winston Payne/Auchi continue to be absolute powerhouses that singlehandedly carry the franchise on their broad, powerful shoulders

Seriously I love how much they play with this design, Auchi is just bad rear end (but still a scrub)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Ah yeah it's a shame to hear that it sold poorly, this entry made me realize just how sick I am of Phoenix and Athena and Apollo and Edgeworth and the loving blue badger etc etc. I think those characters have ran their course, but you know they're going to keep making games with them

Props to hobo phoenix for being the absolute worst thing to happen to the franchise

They haven't been in a game in six years

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Who, hobo phoenix? Either way dual destinies and spirit of justice were much weaker than the original trilogy imo though they had some decent high points

Hobo phoenix is just one example of unlikable characterizations/annoying writing, there's lots of that in the second half of the Phoenix games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there hasnt been a mainline ace attorney game for 6 years, op

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Maybe this is hopium but I feel like they're not done with the setting/cast of Great Ace Attorney, (actual huge ending spoilers for 2) Iris needs to find out who her parents are and have some kind of reconciliation with Barok.

Fingers crossed for Great Ace Attorney: Become Racist (i.e. the Barok spinoff)

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 6, 2022

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there hasnt been a mainline ace attorney game for 6 years, op

Ohh six years not six entries, my b. God drat time is a son of a bitch

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i want phoenix and edgeworth to move in together

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

B33rChiller posted:

:cheers: I'm glad I borrowed Bloodstained from my library instead of buying it because it sucked.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hobo Phoenix is hot so he has that going for him

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

sweet, I just checked the local library's online catalog, and they have a bunch of switch games. Looks like they're quite popular too. Many holds.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

KingSlime posted:

your head contains only soup

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i like soup

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I used to not but I'm increasingly into soup as I get older. Thick soups, watery soups, spicy soups, creamy soups, really any kind of soup is good

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve always hated soup

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Other than GAA2 having a much lower budget, both games were also intended as a single game and I think they had a case of good ol' scope creep and realized they couldn't tell the story they wanted to tell in a single reasonable game's worth of cases.

I'm not sure exactly how case 2-2 ended up where it did, but it is an absolute pacing killer. It is worth pushing through, though; GAA2 is a top tier entry in spite of it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2-2 pwns

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

LuckyCat posted:

I've always wondered about this. I know most/all carry video games, but is it really within their budget to purchase and have in inventory every video game that comes out? Genuinely asking because sometimes the "rent it from your library" convo comes up and all I can think about is my small local library probably only having 20-30 games, and all are probably a generation or two old.

Only specialty libraries would try to get most games, the average library will just stock the relatively big/popular titles, which is what they do with everything else. The librarians in charge of purchasing mostly have to guess/intuit/research what will be in demand and purchase accordingly, with yeah a limited budget they're trying to get maximum mileage out of.

Libraries hate spending money on materials that don't get checked out, so don't be shy about suggesting purchases for games you want to play! In my experience, every suggested purchase translates into a guaranteed use, which looks good on our end of year statistics.

Support your local library by checking out a ton of games, is what I am saying.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

My library doesn't have games, or even DVDs :smith:

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

xedo posted:

Only specialty libraries would try to get most games, the average library will just stock the relatively big/popular titles, which is what they do with everything else. The librarians in charge of purchasing mostly have to guess/intuit/research what will be in demand and purchase accordingly, with yeah a limited budget they're trying to get maximum mileage out of.

Libraries hate spending money on materials that don't get checked out, so don't be shy about suggesting purchases for games you want to play! In my experience, every suggested purchase translates into a guaranteed use, which looks good on our end of year statistics.

Support your local library by checking out a ton of games, is what I am saying.

Just checked out 3 switch games on my library's website. Never thought to try this before. It makes feel like a poor, but hell, I am. Thank you for the idea/service to the community!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
using a library makes you feel like a poor

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this thread....

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

grill youre saelf posted:

Just checked out 3 switch games on my library's website. Never thought to try this before. It makes feel like a poor, but hell, I am. Thank you for the idea/service to the community!

Well good news, they have a similar service for people that want to spend money when they don't have to

https://www.gamefly.com

Maybe techbros that want to reinvent the library into a for profit service aren't wrong

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Just remembered the new Mario Kart DLC releases tomorrow. Maple Treeway is the GOAT.