Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Answers Me posted:

Is TEW2020 worth getting if you’ve already got 2016? I’ve got the urge to play it again, but I always end up regretting it because I sink way too much time into it without making much progress, so not sure if the upgrade is worth it.

Any improvements to the UI or whatever that make it quicker to play would probably swing it for me…
I'd see if journey of wrestling scratches the itch, honestly. It's deeply, deeply basic but still has just enough to trick me into yearslong saves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

CarlCX posted:

No, you got it in one, unfortunately. With the growing complexity of CAWs it's not even possible to just follow creation formulas anymore because virtually every creator worth their salt uses custom textures--which were, of course, also lost when they took the servers down. There are mods out there, but they're almost all just upgraded textures for existing characters.

The sharing tools are best-in-class, but they served the underhanded purpose of making the CAW system nigh-unto useless once the servers go down.

Thanks. That's a bummer because making CAWs in modern wrestling games is incredibly time consuming if you care about accuracy at all. I'm probably going to make 2 or 3 and then quit because I'd rather be playing the game than spending all my time making CAWs

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
It takes me about an hour to make a caw. 2 hours if I make a custom moveset. Which I always do because I'm an idiot.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

IGgy IGsen posted:

It takes me about an hour to make a caw. 2 hours if I make a custom moveset. Which I always do because I'm an idiot.

To be fair the caw/moveset creation tools in the 2K games are horrifically slow and clunky so it's not surprising

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Oh of course I do custom move set. That's 99% of the reason you make a CAW. It's just that there are so many different moves and they're not always named what I think they should be named so I spend a lot of time looking for exactly the right move to assign to every slot. I appreciate that they're trying to add as many moves as possible to the game but then they add 8 variants of elbow drop and 9 different vertical suplexes and 15 dropkicks etc but it makes CAW creation take a ton of time if you want to get it just right

I liked that there are a ton more clothing options than there have been in the past but the clothing usually doesn't take me nearly as long as the moves do

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

It's why I stick with fire pro. Both making appearances and movesets is much easier as long as you know what you're doing. Also with mods you get unprecedented control, I've really been spoiled with things you can do in wrestling games by fire pro mods. What's even the point if I can't put 100 moves in a single move slot and add conditionals to them to make sure they only happen under specific circumstances. lmao. What do you mean you don't get to do that in 2k????? Weak.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
this is why I think the steam workshop is sick, but know that downloading fire pro edits off of sketchy servers should be entirely possible.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Paracaidas posted:

I'd see if journey of wrestling scratches the itch, honestly. It's deeply, deeply basic but still has just enough to trick me into yearslong saves.

i cant stop playing!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

2k20 was such a disaster that not only did they kill the servers only six months in, they actually kept the 2k19 servers running until 2k22 came out

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

JOHN CENA posted:

2k20 was such a disaster that not only did they kill the servers only six months in, they actually kept the 2k19 servers running until 2k22 came out

lmao

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Answers Me posted:

Is TEW2020 worth getting if you’ve already got 2016? I’ve got the urge to play it again, but I always end up regretting it because I sink way too much time into it without making much progress, so not sure if the upgrade is worth it.

Any improvements to the UI or whatever that make it quicker to play would probably swing it for me…

2020 is a better game in every way that matters. Shows feel quicker and more intuitive to book, too.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Sounds like he recently switched DRM, too? Has anyone tried it with the new one and knows what it is like. eLicense annoyed me enough I haven't bought one after 2013.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

TEW2020 is way better in terms of user friendliness than the previous games but it's still got some issues that make booking shows take forever. Like I wish there were match templates so you could just hit a button to fill out the match card and edit the settings for the ones you want to be different, rather than having to fill out all the notes for every single match every single time.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/CatchNewz/status/1599082282190442499

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The health bar is promising... still not super enthused about returning to pre-2K YUKES gameplay speed, though. NO MERCY was slow! That's why it hit so different!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yeah it looks like a fun game and the animations looks great but its so fuckin FAST

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

No mercy is a bit too slow for me to go back to too much. Though it also is a bit buggy.

Not gonna know how it feels until I get to play it. Still cautiously optimistic.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I just loved how even the most basic vertical suplex looked / felt / sounded like a sack of potatoes smashing the ground

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

the animation are so fast but walking around seems like no mercy speed.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah it looks like a fun game and the animations looks great but its so fuckin FAST

If you spent any amount of time with modern 2k games you'll know this is a good thing.
modern WWE 2k is so disgustingly slow.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my one apprehension is an early review saying you don't have much to do when you're on defense which is also a problem with the Yukes/2k series but if it's as fast as say, HCTP, that won't matter as much as it does in the current games.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I think I know the answer buuuuuut.....how's WWE 2k22? Assuming I'm into a fun story/season mode, and am very much into glitches and bugs of the fun variety, and prefer a relatively fast paced game. Pretty big discount on Steam atm.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Some persistent technical issues of the type YUKES games always had. The real instability seems to come from the detail in created content - there’s a hard global cap on custom bitmaps that is far lower than what you’d get with even a small roster of good downloaded CAWs. Each tattoo, every ring gear detail, the face mapping, little tweaks to make muscle definition seem more real, all of that takes up an image slot.

So at best you’re downloading the AEW roster and can play the game, but most of the roster has only basic gear customization, because the decal download limit was reached and Cash Wheeler’s chest hair was thus unavailable. Worst case scenario, you’re trying to play Universe mode and something about loading all those assets causes a crash. When I was trying to play, the worst crashes always came while trying to edit shows in the universe calendar mode.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Artelier posted:

I think I know the answer buuuuuut.....how's WWE 2k22? Assuming I'm into a fun story/season mode, and am very much into glitches and bugs of the fun variety, and prefer a relatively fast paced game. Pretty big discount on Steam atm.
the story mode is mostly just a series of short feuds without continuity and moving from angle to angle. its also prone to randomly just crashing and soft locking you in an angle until you restart your career mode save. gm mode is alright but it has a hard end point of a preset amount of weeks and there is zero momentum so you could just book bad shows for the first 49 weeks, win week 50 in the ratings, and you win the mode. it is also prone to crashing and soft locking your save. they worked on this entry for three years so this is the bar of quality you should expect if you buy a 2k game. otherwise its fine, and the gameplay itself is the same as its been for years.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JOHN CENA posted:

gm mode is alright but it has a hard end point of a preset amount of weeks and there is zero momentum so you could just book bad shows for the first 49 weeks, win week 50 in the ratings, and you win the mode.

I've been watching Woods and Breeze play this on UUDD and this is not the impression I get from watching it at all?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I've played a few hours of MyRise mode on PS4 and I haven't had any crashes or anything. The only "bug" I've seen is some of the stories are lame and like half the roster is fired lol. The actual moment to moment wrestling is fine. It's 2K you probably know what it is at this point. You can powerbomb people over the ropes to the floor whenever you want though which is fun.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive never played a WWE game (always been an mdickie/firepro dude) do they let you do banned moves in the game? Like can you do a sitdown piledriver amd stuff or is that not in the games bc its not in anyones moveset anymore irl

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

ive never played a WWE game (always been an mdickie/firepro dude) do they let you do banned moves in the game? Like can you do a sitdown piledriver amd stuff or is that not in the games bc its not in anyones moveset anymore irl

I mean you're limited to the moves they put in the game but there's plenty of piledrivers and burning hammers and whatever cause they include a lot of moves that wrestlers outside of WWE use as well

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah I have a texas piledriver and sheer drop on my dude myRise guy and a vertebreaker and neck-breaking poison rana on my lady lol

Those (and the over the ropes bomb) are all jist regular moves you can do whenever

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thats good to hear ive been eyeing the latest one for a while and i think i might pull the trigger on it!

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

WWE 2k22 is genuinely the best-playing version of those games since WWE '13, which is to say it's at best sort of okay. I quit the story mode because tag team matches made me want to die.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CarlCX posted:

WWE 2k22 is genuinely the best-playing version of those games since WWE '13, which is to say it's at best sort of okay. I quit the story mode because tag team matches made me want to die.

Tag Team matches have never been good in these games.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Tornado tags are at least chaotic

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Tornado tags are at least chaotic

Okay fair, I should have said normal rules tag matches have always been bad. Tornado/gimmick tag matches are usually pretty good to hilarious.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Back when I played the wwe games I always thought it'd be really fun to do a legit 4-player tag match but my friends were all jerks with no patience so that never happened. The tornado tags were fun though, to be fair.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The ol Sig to illegal man Finisher to legal usually works but yeah tag matches suck.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The 2K games are at their best in multi-mans, the periodic cycling of workers out of the ring to open up pin / submit opportunities isn’t exactly elegant, but it’s functional.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Tornado tag matches on No Mercy and the Smackdown games with my friends and cousins IS my teenage gaming years.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Shard posted:

Tornado tag matches on No Mercy and the Smackdown games with my friends and cousins IS my teenage gaming years.

I remember Smackdown 4/5 being in my ps2 constantly after they came out and my best friend and I would play the dumbest spot fests we could come up.

I miss those days :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Fatal 4 way hardcore matches in the parking lot and times square with constantly shifting alliances are my main HCTP memory