Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm not sure what happened, but my dwarves kept running around outside the fortress picking fights with monsters until one of them killed him, he came back as a zombie and killed everyone else. Hm.

What the gently caress

Sounds like you are having FUN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think, unfortunately, after years and years of waiting for this and being extremely hype for it, I'm refunding it.

After 1000+ hours of Rimworld across several years DF just feels incredibly unintuitive to play. Two hours in and I still felt entirely lost. I couldn't find any way to click an item and view info about it such as what it's classified under (e.g. is it a stone or is it a gem or whatever), like that's not indicated in the item details panel anywhere, and the details panel also gives virtually no information about items at all so it's hard to tell what anything does or what it's used for. The construction system feels super obtuse, I can definitely see the benefit in Work Orders but trying to finagle them without understanding what all of the craftable items are or what they do or what they take to make or what resources they can be made out of (without the vast majority of that info available anywhere in-game as far as I can tell) is a nightmare

Basically I was hoping the UI and graphics update would solve the things that made the original impossible to play for me (there seems to just be virtually no information available to the player about anything at all? Or it's prevented in really unintuitive ways where I'm just missing it all) I don't mean "tutorial" kind of stuff but just... what are all these gemstones? what are the differences? Why would I use a specific metal for a specific task? What's the difference between two different foods? How can I tell what an item does or is used for or when I'd want to craft it? The UI shows me that some of my dwarves are unhappy but as far as I can tell it doesn't tell me anything about which ones? So I have to click through each of them individually to find them.

I'm sure a lot of that gets 100x better with UI familiarity and keeping up with the learning curve but :psyduck: It's really, really hard to transition from Rimworld to DF.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Amazingly, military squads actually equip what you set as uniforms. What a time to be alive.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

nielsm posted:

Light aquifer report: They really are light. If you just prepare a bunch of material for building walls, ahead of time, you can easily dig a stairwell through, dig out the tiles around the stairwell, then construct walls around it and you're through. You'd have to be really slow to not make it.

Yeah except so far this fuckin aquifer is 10 levels deep. :argh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a way to put a workstation down and have it cut the stone out to fit it automatically?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bad Munki posted:

PS gang tag me please

I will start tagging in 12 hours, just need to get back home, download steam df and upload the tag :psydwarf:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

game's still great, loving the mouse controls. now i'm poking around in legends mode and i already found a very confused dwarf who thinks she's an elf

apparently she apprenticed under an elf, then continually kept getting married, moving away, moving back to be with her master and divorcing (this happened like 5 times, lol) and trained up some elven apprentices of her own. absolute mad lass.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Theres no shame in not being good enough to play dwarf fortress

Edit: that feels unnecessarily snarky so in all seriousness I will say, you HAVE to use the wiki until you build familiarity. Say what you want about game design and whether that's a strike against it, there's just too much not to. I've been playing this game on and off for 15 years and there's never a session where I don't need to reference something eventually.

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 6, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think, unfortunately, after years and years of waiting for this and being extremely hype for it, I'm refunding it.

After 1000+ hours of Rimworld across several years DF just feels incredibly unintuitive to play. . . . .

I'm sure a lot of that gets 100x better with UI familiarity and keeping up with the learning curve but :psyduck: It's really, really hard to transition from Rimworld to DF.

=(

If you stick with it and use the wiki it's all parseable. Honestly, what I'd suggest at first is that you don't even try to understand everything or get the details "right."

Just dive in and gently caress around and see what happens. It's a sandbox game. You can't win and that means you can't lose. Not understanding everything that's going on is fine and expected.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

GruntyThrst posted:

How does the gang tag work? we post a neat story and request one?

Just request one.
If possible, can my BLM and Ukraine gangtags be removed? I need less politics and real life stuff in my life.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm not sure what happened, but my dwarves kept running around outside the fortress picking fights with monsters until one of them killed him, he came back as a zombie and killed everyone else. Hm.

What the gently caress

Dwarves without specific jobs to do will congregate in meeting zones (typically places like taverns, but your starting wagon is also automatically flagged as one) -- he may have had no jobs to do which is why he was off getting into trouble. You can avoid this by deconstructing your wagon and building a tavern (or other meeting zone).

it's also possible he had the Hunting labor enabled which will naturally cause the dwarf to go try and hunt wildlife.

As for reanimation, this can either happen "naturally" as a consequence of evil biomes (along with all kinds of other nasty poo poo, most of it random -- sometimes an "evil" biome just has staring eyeballs for grass and is otherwise normal, other times it literally rains blood infected with terminal diseases and raises the dead and periodically emits dwarf-hating clouds of sapient poison gas) or there's a necromancer creeping around raising the dead in preparation for an attack on your fort.

The former can be avoided by not settling in evil biomes and the latter by not settling somewhere with a "Tower" in the neighbors tab.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 6, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'd hella love a gang tag.

The game is so good and man the music!!

Hell yeah the music.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

GruntyThrst posted:

Also I've forgotten the names of all these jobs. What's a stonecutter do?
Stonecarver - furniture I think
Engraver - smooths and engraves
Stone crafter - stone crafts
stonecutter - ????

I'm not sure what you mean, try looking here:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Labor

Stoneworkers (Engraver, Mason)

Engraver is the skill used for smoothing and engraving walls and floors, carving walls into fortifications, carving minecart tracks into floors and ramps and engraving memorial slabs.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Engraver

Masons are responsible for creating furniture and other objects out of stone in a mason's workshop.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Mason

Craftsdwarf (Many jobs including Stone crafter)

Stone crafter - goods such as mugs, crafts, instruments, and toys as well as short swords, jugs, pots, nest boxes and hives from loose stone at a craftsdwarf's workshop.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stone_crafter

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 6, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

How the hell much stockpile space do I need in this game :psyduck:

I'm currently a week(ish) into my first fortress and I have done nothing except scale up stockpile space the entire time. 686 tiles of stockpile total - one big one for wood and stone, then a smaller one for food and two smaller ones for everything else. But they're all absolutely full and need to be expanded. My dwarves haven't been able to do anything except set up stockpile rooms and haul things so far!

My friend let me tell you the glad tidings of Carpenter Workshop > construct Bi[n]

e: see you're thinking about giving up, please, keep posting with any questions you have. I think most of us have been playing this for so long it's easy to forget the, not learning cliff, but just the overwhelmingness of having everything thrown at you at once.

The wiki is a valuable resource, but there's so much complexity upfront that it can't help anyone when they don't yet know what questions to ask it.

We can, and will.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 6, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also undead in DF are insanely dangerous because they don't feel pain, and like 99% of combat between living creatures is decided by who makes the other guy hurt so much they pass out. a zombie is astronomically more dangerous than the creature it used to be since it's basically a terminator version of them

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dwarves without specific jobs to do will congregate in meeting zones (typically places like taverns, but your starting wagon is also automatically flagged as on) -- he may have had no jobs to do which is why he was off getting into trouble. You can avoid this by deconstructing your wagon and building a tavern (or other meeting zone).

it's also possible he had the Hunting labor enabled which will naturally cause the dwarf to go try and hunt wildlife.

As for reanimation, this can either happen "naturally" as a consequence of evil biomes (along with all kinds of other nasty poo poo, most of it random -- sometimes an "evil" biome just has staring eyeballs for grass and is otherwise normal, other times it literally rains blood infected with terminal diseases and raises the dead and periodically emits dwarf-hating clouds of sapient poison gas) or there's a necromancer creeping around raising the dead in preparation for an attack on your fort.

The former can be avoided by not settling in evil biomes and the latter by not settling somewhere with a "Tower" in the neighbors tab.

Oh okay. You can change jobs?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MarcusSA posted:

I'd hella love a gang tag.

The game is so good and man the music!!

Hell yeah the music.

For the gang tag I'm asking people to post a story about their fort because I love dwarf stories, doesn't have to be elaborate

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

seb's asked that if you want a gangtag, you post a neat story from your DF game. Not even necessarily a new game. Just so we're not having to throw them at literally everyone.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Not only that but undead in evil biomes are like return of the living dead zombies.
You cut off thier hands and the hands get up and attack.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

honestly would be much better if you could play Elves or humans not everyone wants to play Dwarves.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Omnicarus posted:

honestly would be much better if you could play Elves or humans not everyone wants to play Dwarves.

What the hell is this

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

it's not called Elf Forest!!!!!!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

i swear to god

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Hihohe posted:

Not only that but undead in evil biomes are like return of the living dead zombies.
You cut off thier hands and the hands get up and attack.

That explains why I was getting all kinds of alerts about like, falcon heads attacking and poo poo. Didnt seem to be a problem since people would just keep killing them but I guess someone thought punching eagles meant punching alligators.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Omnicarus posted:

Dunno about the new version, but you absolutely could if you edit the raws in previous ones.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Omnicarus posted:

I remember playing Human Fortress 2000 in middle school

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

thunderspanks posted:

Theres no shame in not being good enough to play dwarf fortress

Edit: that feels unnecessarily snarky so in all seriousness I will say, you HAVE to use the wiki until you build familiarity. Say what you want about game design and whether that's a strike against it, there's just too much not to. I've been playing this game on and off for 15 years and there's never a session where I don't need to reference something eventually.
That's fair and it's not a knock against the game so to speak, I don't mind using wikis. It's just super difficult to go from a derivative game with all the QoL features to present that kind of information cleanly and neatly in-game to the older, more complex game (where I need to rely on that info more) and not have all te QoL stuff I spent 1000 hours getting used to :(
There are a lot of systems DF has that I always wanted in RimWorld and I would love to play DF in theory, but it feels like such a large step back in UI design that it makes it hard to bridge the gap :|

I'll hold off for a while before refunding because I want to like it and I mean, I do like it, it just currently makes me want to play RimWorld instead. (Not bc RimWorld is a 'better game' but just because it's familiar and comparably complex)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On the Steam version, is there a way to setup the game so that your dwarfs will build and craft all on their own, and you can just stop them if need be, or stop what they are doing to focus on other things?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Omnicarus posted:

:chloe:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

nielsm posted:

Was the wildlife always this intent on killing you?

The eagles, ravens and keas keep pestering my outdoor working dwarves, and a yak claimed 7 of my 16 dwarves.

Yes. Even back in the 2d days. Boatmurdered's most consistent problems were monkeys and elephants.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Finally home and loving the stream of historical events during worldgen. Haven't even finished worldgen and already looking forward to checking out legends mode for a while, there's one Elf city that's written like 500 books already

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

sebmojo posted:

For the gang tag I'm asking people to post a story about their fort because I love dwarf stories, doesn't have to be elaborate

The only dwarf story I've got until getting home today is the bit of Expert Humor I wrote for Bronzestabbed, where the dwarf that represented me came to the fort with his wife and a pet keet to a vile biome with gas clouds that turned people into zombies. Somehow we both managed to run out into one of the 'vile murks' for a drink of water from the river and lived to tell about it. Sadly my dwarf dropped from the Overseer's notice until I booted up the save out of curiosity and found my dwarf had mysteriously been entombed in dirt near the fort entrance, with no apparent record of his death or accident where it might have occurred

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Omnicarus posted:

Dwarves are superior.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

That's fair and it's not a knock against the game so to speak, I don't mind using wikis. It's just super difficult to go from a derivative game with all the QoL features to present that kind of information cleanly and neatly in-game to the older, more complex game (where I need to rely on that info more) and not have all te QoL stuff I spent 1000 hours getting used to :(
There are a lot of systems DF has that I always wanted in RimWorld and I would love to play DF in theory, but it feels like such a large step back in UI design that it makes it hard to bridge the gap :|

I'll hold off for a while before refunding because I want to like it and I mean, I do like it, it just currently makes me want to play RimWorld instead. (Not bc RimWorld is a 'better game' but just because it's familiar and comparably complex)

to me i think the biggest difference is that Rimworld is trying to be a game, first and foremost, where as DF is primarily a world simulation that you can play a game in

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

it is year 417 and I am watching a pair of civs named The Playful Flutes and The Curled Nuts steamroll the entire world and establish a cold war

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

The Playful Flutes and The Curled Nuts

I only just changed the thread title

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Why does my 250 year old world that I'm looking at in Legends mode only have 1 piece of art? :psyduck: is this normal?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Oh okay. You can change jobs?

Oh yeah, easily; skills stay but jobs are player-assigned. I'm not sure exactly how it's done in the new version as I am not quite yet off work, but it was under the "labors" menu in previous versions.

Omnicarus posted:

This is a pretty common theme for mods. Technically speaking you can literally just go into the raws and swap out a tag that says [PLAYABLE] or something and assign it to a different civ, but most civs don't have the noble / administrator positions necessary for a fort to actually function.

You've also got weirdness like goblins being obligate carnivores or elves having a magical off-screen method of siphoning wood from living trees (since they'll be traumatized by actually cutting them down) but which doesn't exist as an actual gameplay mechanic in fortress mode.

Finally, with no modding at all, you can fairly easily recruits members of other civilizations or even various kinds of animal people by opening taverns, etc. to visitors and allowing them to stay long-term.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 6, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

shame on an IGA posted:

e: see you're thinking about giving up, please, keep posting with any questions you have. I think most of us have been playing this for so long it's easy to forget the, not learning cliff, but just the overwhelmingness of having everything thrown at you at once.
Where can I see all the text that tells the story? I'm not getting the cool stuff about Dwarf X just kicked Dwarf Y, I'm only getting the sprites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I have not played this since like 2012 but am going to right after work.

I painted a gigantic mural of one of my best forts back in the day … feels like a lifetime ago!