Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
the main reason I won't use a trauma staff atm is because of the stupid high peril gain for a fully charged attack. it's 47 peril on my near-80 warp resistance, 373 rank to stats trauma staff

on my voidstrike a full charge is 19 peril, for comparison

also light attacks should pierce one or two non-special targets imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Martout posted:

the main reason I won't use a trauma staff atm is because of the stupid high peril gain for a fully charged attack. it's 47 peril on my near-80 warp resistance, 373 rank to stats trauma staff

Don't forget the quell on weak spot hit blessing, which is incredibly easy to do with the voidstrike.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's weird that the train assassination boss is so much worse than the other one and it's not even close. The adds are worse and come from all over the place, the arena is much bigger so its easy to get dragged away from the boss and have him start shooting, it just sucks overall.

Genuinely dont notice the difference between the 2 arenas at t3/t4. Curbstomp strat is so effective at demolishing the boss that theres hardly even time for more than two waves of normals to get out.

Assassination feels like the easiest finale to me.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Kaddish posted:

Don't forget the quell on weak spot hit blessing, which is incredibly easy to do with the voidstrike.

aim at head level into a horde, rapidly hit 0 perils, yeah.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Martout posted:

fully charging it isn't even worth it either, aside from the radius increase it only really increases the damage in the dead center of the area of effect marked by the line. meanwhile the voidstrike can be fired out to an infinite range, charges way faster, pierces targets, burns less peril, headshots, has nearly as big a splash as the trauma staff anyway, and most importantly: actually kills poo poo

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 6, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sharkopath posted:

Genuinely dont notice the difference between the 2 arenas at t3/t4. Curbstomp strat is so effective at demolishing the boss that theres hardly even time for more than two waves of normals to get out.

Assassination feels like the easiest finale to me.

What's the curbstomp strat?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ninjoatse.cx posted:

surround him and beat him to death with melee weapons so fast that he dies before he even gets to summon more than one wave of enemies

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

surround him and beat him to death with melee weapons so fast that he dies before he even gets to summon more than one wave of enemies

Oh.

It's the pubbie strat + have good items.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Oh.

It's the pubbie strat + have good items.

I haven't played with a pre-made group but it would work even better there because everyone would be on-board. Often I get only like 2 people wailing on him and doesn't work as well.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Everybody run to where the boss drops down. If you have any medkits you drop one down at your feet there. Then everybody just curbstomps the boss in melee. When normals spawn your vet tosses grenades at the bosses feet to clear out the chaff, psyker can do it too depending on staff. You never stop whacking and the constant hits and stunlock keep the boss pretty powerless. It works every time and makes it laughably easy.

If anybody is trying to shoot the boss while the shield is up they are just a liability and that might be why your run felt hard.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ogryn grenade box is clutch for add waves too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah dropping the medpack at feet and just using it to tank all the damage is the meta. Which is one of those cheesy strats where you better make sure everyone is in on the plan or has good situational awareness.

It's kind of silly to say that assassination is easy if you cheese it because yeah but also it wasn't because of design. You all are going to get the bosses tweak to delay healing on hit and you'll have only yourselves to blame.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Its just having everybody play the objective as much as possible while all sticking together aka what you are supposed to do the entire game. Its way easier to do that in assassination compared to other finales that involve a lot more travel and item carrying mid wave.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

fully charging it isn't even worth it either, aside from the radius increase it only really increases the damage in the dead center of the area of effect marked by the line. meanwhile the voidstrike can be fired out to an infinite range, charges way faster, pierces targets, burns less peril, headshots, has nearly as big a splash as the trauma staff anyway, and most importantly: actually kills poo poo

walking this back, i haven't tried a high gear level trauma staff so maybe one with more stats under its belt feels better to use, but i really, really doubt it

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Trauma staff has cool looking moves but doesn't have enough range damage or AOE to justify over voidstrike. The circle boom should be bigger IMO and hit harder for how much peril it generates and how slow it is

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sharkopath posted:

Its just having everybody play the objective as much as possible while all sticking together aka what you are supposed to do the entire game. Its way easier to do that in assassination compared to other finales that involve a lot more travel and item carrying mid wave.

I would say it's more that you can tank basically everything when you have a health kit at your feet. The power of friendship won't get you far without one.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I actually dig the partial reload system. If I've already dropped a half-empty mag from my lasgun/autogun/whatever before switching to melee, it only makes sense that I'd be empty on ammo when I switch back and need to reload.

With that said, I really don't love the lengthy cocking/readying animation any time I switch long guns and/or get knocked a few meters away by an exploding barrel. I guess the idea of a safety catch is archeotech.

Pharmaskittle posted:

I like that, in true 40k fashion, this game is hilarious and goofy when I get high and play ogryn with my friends, but a horror game when I get high and play guardsman with pubbies

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The assassination boss tactic would never have been necessary if it wasn't for a) guns doing fuckall to his shield and b) his guns stun locking anyone he shoots at to the point where they basically don't control their character any more.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Every one of his melee attack is like a light caress compared to anything he does with shotgun or plasma gun, too

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I hope they enhance the assassination target bosses, because yeah compared to VT2 bosses they are god awful. So I'm fine with just cheesing it. Be sure to put your back to the wall so his knock back doesn't have you chasing him down.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Yea why did they make the shield impossible to bust with gunfire. Mag dumping a volley bolter or charged plasma does at best like 33% of the shield and the reloads are so long as to make that incredibly not worth.

Same with psyker and brain bursting theres really no reason to do anything other than curb stomp

Really dislike the full toughness draining aoe knockback that has no warning too

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Cowcaster posted:

walking this back, i haven't tried a high gear level trauma staff so maybe one with more stats under its belt feels better to use, but i really, really doubt it

also feels kinda bad to use so yeah, full damage radius needs to be way bigger too, agree with whoever posted that

edit: epicentre radius is just 2.3 which is very small for such a good roll

Martout fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 6, 2022

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Let me fight a Death Guard!!!!!!

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Feat report: The psyker talent that has 10% brainburst per attack, once per 15 seconds adds zero peril and generates warp charges.

On Heresy difficulty with Force Sword/Duel saber, some traitor guardsmen start taking 4 hits to kill, giving them a chance to merge back into the horde. The complete kills and charge maintenance become extremely welcome.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

people keep saying they're not having any space marines but frankly they would be stupid to not let the party fight a single one as a boss or something eventually

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Well apparently the literal devs said as much but I do not believe them.

To expand on this, while the strength of a space marine varies within various depictions of the fiction, in all of them where they're not the heroes and are granted the protection of narrative necessity, a single chaos space marine is not more dangerous than the contents of the average set piece.

Whether your talking 40k in any edition, or Kill Team, or the Fantasy Flight games, a single chaos space marine isn't more dangerous than a hundred pox walkers, a dozen las gun guardsmen, a couple bullgryns, etc etc.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 6, 2022

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I think I have to give this a break for a bit, because the way the game keeps spawning things behind me has become too irritating. It's got me spinning in circles every time I enter a new room to check corners, but as soon as I start moving forward or start shooting at something I hear the sharp growl noise that means you're about to get backstabbed. It happens constantly now and includes trappers and suicide bombers as well. I just lost a game where I heard the bomber ping, so we started searching just to have it jump out of a monster closet as we passed and immediately explode with no chance to do anything about it. In the game right after that in the cryo-charging section, two teammates went ahead and jumped over the big ledge before the elevator, marking a bulwark. So after spinning around and seeing nothing, I stay on the ledge to take advantage of the height difference and try to shoot the bulwark's face. I'm immediately netted by a silent trapper that spawned in the doorway behind me in the second it took to turn around and aim.

I know I'm complaing but I love the presentation and aesthetics of the game. The rough edges are starting to feel pretty rough though.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I know I'm complaing but I love the presentation and aesthetics of the game. The rough edges are starting to feel pretty rough though.

I've come to the realization that I wish this game's visual aesthetic, sound track and general mechanics/ gunplay had been applied to something more like a Bethesda fallout game.

"Another hab block needs your help, prisoner."

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The weekly mission garbage has spawned nothing but bad feelings.

People getting mad because they need grimoires/scriptures. People getting mad because they just want to defeat a level as quickly as possible. People quitting because someone died.

Fo something tacked on at the last minute, it's a missive drain on the team dynamics and fun of the entire game. And that's when it even counts your progress correctly. And it loving resets on Sunday! Only play on Fridays? You're never getting poo poo. It's such a horrible design

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The worst is when your whole team rushes ahead while you're fending off stuff spawning behind you and they don't have the awareness to help.

I've been trying to love the Boltgun but it's just so slow to reload and cycle out and the las rifles are just quicker and about as accurate.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is anyone playing with a controller? Does it suck rear end?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I've pretty much written off any chance of finishing weekly quests. After two rerolls I got a "finish 25 missions" quest and just lol. That's about 60 to 90 minutes every day. Like guys I have a job and a spouse thats not gonna happen.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Well apparently the literal devs said as much but I do not believe them.

I guess they hate money, if they don't have an eventual expansion with them!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

infraboy posted:

The worst is when your whole team rushes ahead while you're fending off stuff spawning behind you and they don't have the awareness to help.

I've been trying to love the Boltgun but it's just so slow to reload and cycle out and the las rifles are just quicker and about as accurate.

My last 3 teams have been 3 level 30s and a level 10 playing a difficulty 2 mission just to get the loving achievements. It must have been soooo much fun for the level 10 when nothing can kill the others so they just plod through the level top speed.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mendrian posted:

I've pretty much written off any chance of finishing weekly quests. After two rerolls I got a "finish 25 missions" quest and just lol. That's about 60 to 90 minutes every day. Like guys I have a job and a spouse thats not gonna happen.

poo poo like this shouldn't even exist

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think the main problem with the weekly missions is the 5/5 completion counting for so much. I wouldn't be surprised if it caused people to not bother doing them at all if there's one they see they can't complete.

Edit: Other than the fact that all the missions are extremely uninspired, and don't really add much other than a reason to log in.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mendrian posted:

60 to 90 minutes every day, if they all count!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

It might not be their choice. Modern day GW is much more receptive towards licenced products, video games in particular, but apart from stuff like Total Warhams, which really is an exception, most of those video game developers can't make use of the entire license, as in the entire universe. They often get the rights to make a video game based on a very specific selection of characters, units, locations and races from one of their lines.

Broken Cog posted:

I think the main problem with the weekly missions is the 5/5 completion counting for so much. I wouldn't be surprised if it caused people to not bother doing them at all if there's one they see they can't complete.

Are the rewards even that good? They seem okay, but nothing I'd really like to bother myself about too much except maybe switching out some missions I don't think I can complete while just playing.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Turin Turambar posted:

tyranids seems inevitable and there's been dialogue quips in the game suggestive of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Randarkman posted:

It might not be their choice. Modern day GW is much more receptive towards licenced products, video games in particular, but apart from stuff like Total Warhams, which really is an exception, most of those video game developers can't make use of the entire license, as in the entire universe. They often get the rights to make a video game based on a very specific selection of characters, units, locations and races from one of their lines.

Are the rewards even that good? They seem okay, but nothing I'd really like to bother myself about too much except maybe switching out some missions I don't think I can complete while just playing.

If some B-tier indie games get multiple units and races of W40K , Fatshark can get Space Marines, I'm sure of it. You can browse the full list on Steam. Inquisitor, Battlesector, Daemonhunters, Battle Sister, Necromunda, Bolt Gun, Gladius, etc

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 6, 2022