Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, there's an R6 II coming out soon! That's a pretty quick turnaround, I wasn't really expecting it. New sensor apparently? Anyway, I'm sure it's better but I might consider the Mk1 if there are any sales or discounts. In the end I chickened out on buying it this spring at almost the original price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWuUjDvHr_0

Aaanyway, I'm going to have to DIY a shutter replacement on my M50 because I've been forced to shoot in electronic shutter mode and it blows. There's apparently only one place that will do it here and they want almost as much as the camera is worth at this point so it's going to be a fun experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Curious about that new sensor and how it will test in low light. Seems like they really cranked up the battery life which is the biggest improvement in my eyes.

Not good enough an update for me to be tempted to upgrade, but it's nice Canon seems to be keeping their momentum going.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
There was a lot of complaints about it not being stacked, but what I'm hearing in some of the podcasts is that the new sensor read out speed is incredibly fast and while the rolling shutter is still there, it takes an incredible amount of speed to show it. Maybe that's how everyone will eventually get past the rolling shutter without doubling the price tag by stacking it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I turned on highlight priority enhanced, and have now concluded I am extra happy with my EOS R

It takes a nice photo

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

So, my 24-105 f/4L got damaged a couple months back, and I finally got around to shipping it off for repairs. Canon just quoted me almost $400 for the repair, which feels like a lot when I could just replace it outright for very little more than that. I've never been super impressed with the image quality out of it, so I'm considering maybe replacing it with something else. I have a Sigma 24-35 f/2 DG Art, a Canon 50mm F/1.4, and a Sigma 150-600 DG ISM as my other 3 lenses. Currently I shoot on a 6D, but I'm very strongly considering upgrading to an R6 Mark II in the immediate future (roughly 95% of the way towards convincing myself to pull the trigger).

Any suggestions on whether I should just bite the bullet and spend $400 have the lens repaired, pay an extra $100 to replace it (and maybe get a sharper copy?), or save my cash and buy a different walkabout lens? I was pondering maybe the Canon RF 24-240 f/4-6.3 IS USM or Tamron 18-300 f/3.5-6.3 DI VC PZD as a replacement, if anyone's got experience with those. edit: If I'm replacing it with a different lens, I'm hoping to stay under the $1k mark, I'm already about to be out $2.5k.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wouldn't spend $400 to fix it. You won't even get that much back if you turn around and sell it to one of the big used gear sites.

But I probably wouldn't buy anything you listed to replace it either. But that's just me.. I love the concept of those superzooms but they never review very well. Like the 24-240 is interesting, but relies on software corrections to get a usable image out of it. If you hunt around for reviews, sample images without corrections are extremely distorted with a terrible vignette. I guess it doesn't matter if the end result looks good but you should go into it knowing what's going on behind the curtain. I known othing about the 18-300.

If it were me, I'd wait until I got the R6 and can dig up the cash for the RF 24-105 (which goes used for about $900).

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I used to walk around with the 24-105 as a general purpose lens, but I found that I was basically always shooting either in the 24-35mm range for wide shots, or going to the max at 105 (and probably wishing I had more range) for specific subject shots, and in the end I ended up throwing out all the 105mm shots anyway.

I'm happier with the awesome RF 35mm prime that I typically walk around with now (which that Sigma 24-35 lens is similar to as far as I'm concerned) and carry a 70-200mm or 100mm macro lens in the quiver for the longer end.

Point being, evaluate what you're typically shooting, and if you're truly using the full zoom range on a big zoom lens, it'll probably help decide on the best replacement.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I probably wouldn't get anything above 200mm unless you have a specific reason for it. For a walkabout lens I'd go with a midrange prime.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
A lot of first gen 24-105 L are dying lately. The cable that controls the focus apparently just up and dies or detaches. I've seen a few around for $400-450 and people wont touch them because they're just too old and to fix them is the same cost. I happened to love mine when I owned it with my old 8MP Rebel XT, the image quality blew me away. It always had whatever that 3D pop is called.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So I picked up the RF TTArtisan 25mm F2 for super cheap a while back. The 35-40mm equivalent focal length is my favorite. I own the EF-S 24mm 2.8 and love that, but hey, F2 is even faster for not much money! Anyway, it's completely manual, and some may have saw some posts of me struggling with focusing, even using the focus peaking my R7 does. (It highlights whatever is in focus in a soft transparent red through the viewfinder/screen in real time as you twist the focus) But many images were coming out blurry. But the ones that didn't looked pretty freaking sweet.

I finally sat down in my dark rear end house in a stationary chair. I played with the EF-S 24mm @ 2.8 and the TTA @ 2.8 using the same focus point in the dimly lit area (A doorknob). I got tack sharp images with the EF-S but the TTA was almost always burry. At the same shutter speed. I couldn't understand what the poo poo. I decided maybe the IBIS isn't working for the manual lens, while it is for the adapted EF-S. I gently shook the frame and they both looked like they were cushioned through the viewfinder as the IBIS is doing it's thing. I was kinda dumbfounded, maybe I just totally loving suck at manual focusing, even with the focus peaking training wheels on.

I dug around into the IS settings with the EF-S lens on, and it looked fine. It's on. I swapped the lens to the TTA and something showed up in the same menu I've never seen before. A focal length option. It was set to 50. What the gently caress is that. I set it to 25mm.

I took more photos, everything is tack sharp. jfc it's been overcompensating this entire time.

I really really like the sharp images I've been getting out of the TTA, but the focus thing was souring me until now.

Edit: I actually found a bug here. IBIS is not staying engaged. I've found a way to engage it, but when the camera sleeps or is turned off it "forgets" to turn back on.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 5, 2022

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo, there's an R6 II coming out soon! That's a pretty quick turnaround, I wasn't really expecting it. New sensor apparently? Anyway, I'm sure it's better but I might consider the Mk1 if there are any sales or discounts. In the end I chickened out on buying it this spring at almost the original price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWuUjDvHr_0

Whoh this news snuck under my radar. It's only a slight improvement over the R6 Mk1 but it seems to be a worthy update.

At this point what I'd really like is the Mk2 in APS-C format and I'd be all :getin:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I need to start doing some video recording for tutorials for my work, so I would like a recommendation for a camera body.

The only prerequisites I have are that the camera can equip the Canon 100mm 2.8L macro lens with the efs mount, as I'll basically be doing narration over macro work.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

The Demilich posted:

I need to start doing some video recording for tutorials for my work, so I would like a recommendation for a camera body.

The only prerequisites I have are that the camera can equip the Canon 100mm 2.8L macro lens with the efs mount, as I'll basically be doing narration over macro work.

The Canon EF 100mm L macro is a FF lens with EF not EF-S, it can of course mount to EF-S crop sensor Canon cameras with a resultant 1.6x crop of FOV. You can also adapt seamlessly to any R series camera FF or crop with the same 1.6x FOV.

So essentially you can use any recent Canon camera, but of course there is a significant cost difference and video performance variability within the range, so you might want to provide a budget and some expectations of required video quality, 8K? 4K? 120FPS? CLOG? etc.

If you are doing macro video work you may also want to consider some lighting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My youtube page is super cluttered with R6 m2 videos now and everyone seems to really love it. Nothing revolutionary.. just better in every way. I guess high ISO performance got a huge improvement.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

xzzy posted:

My youtube page is super cluttered with R6 m2 videos now and everyone seems to really love it. Nothing revolutionary.. just better in every way. I guess high ISO performance got a huge improvement.

Everyone given a camera by Canon loves it, who would have thought.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Tech gear reviews in general have gotten almost useless, sometimes you get new interesting person to follow who then eventually also falls into the trap of paid promotion, too afraid to say anything negative. At least cameras are all pretty much amazing these days and more important is the system you buy into and features you might not want to live without anymore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I appreciate the suspicion, but some of them were bought with their own money. I guess you gotta account for for day one blinders but not the ENTIRE internet is an advertisement.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Oh, I was just making a general comment. I'm sure the R6 II is geat. I'm already really happy with my R6. I absolutely do not want to live anymore without it's tracking/eye AF, it makes shooting events and portraits sooooo painless.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

jarlywarly posted:

The Canon EF 100mm L macro is a FF lens with EF not EF-S, it can of course mount to EF-S crop sensor Canon cameras with a resultant 1.6x crop of FOV. You can also adapt seamlessly to any R series camera FF or crop with the same 1.6x FOV.

So essentially you can use any recent Canon camera, but of course there is a significant cost difference and video performance variability within the range, so you might want to provide a budget and some expectations of required video quality, 8K? 4K? 120FPS? CLOG? etc.

If you are doing macro video work you may also want to consider some lighting.

You're correct, I should have checked over the autocorrect; EF mount, not EFS.

I don't need 8k, hell it's doubtful I need 4k given the hobbyspace I'm entering (miniature painting) doesn't seem to go past 1080p, but I won't complain if it's 4k capable. My expectation is I can record in at least 10 or 15 minute increments, there's no worry of the body overheating, it can equip my 100mm EF lens, and inexpensive if possible. Also, I want to avoid rebel bodies t2-6. I don't care for that series of bodies at all.

Eventually I want to move into mirrorless territory since the 100mm macro exists in that format as well.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

The Demilich posted:

You're correct, I should have checked over the autocorrect; EF mount, not EFS.

I don't need 8k, hell it's doubtful I need 4k given the hobbyspace I'm entering (miniature painting) doesn't seem to go past 1080p, but I won't complain if it's 4k capable. My expectation is I can record in at least 10 or 15 minute increments, there's no worry of the body overheating, it can equip my 100mm EF lens, and inexpensive if possible. Also, I want to avoid rebel bodies t2-6. I don't care for that series of bodies at all.

Eventually I want to move into mirrorless territory since the 100mm macro exists in that format as well.

Lower end R series with adapter R10 or even an M series both with adapters.

I don't really know the video specs of them so you should look into them, 4k can be useful to stabilise/crop in etc for a 1080p target render.

If you ever want to stream with the camera you should look into the clean HDMI and clean HDMI with AF capabilities of the body.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

melon cat posted:

Whoh this news snuck under my radar. It's only a slight improvement over the R6 Mk1 but it seems to be a worthy update.

At this point what I'd really like is the Mk2 in APS-C format and I'd be all :getin:
The huge size put me off getting the Mk1 a bit as a travel camera. Though not as much as paying almost the full price for a refurbished camera earlier this year lol.

It seems like there's an updated initial review with image samples: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r6-mark-ii-initial-review
and it's showing up on Amazon for $2800 with the crappy kit lens: https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-Mark-RF24-105mm-F4-7-1/dp/B0BL7X3KLV/

mobby_6kl posted:

Aaanyway, I'm going to have to DIY a shutter replacement on my M50 because I've been forced to shoot in electronic shutter mode and it blows. There's apparently only one place that will do it here and they want almost as much as the camera is worth at this point so it's going to be a fun experiment.
I think... it's a success?

mobby_6kl posted:

Anyway, I finally stopped procrastinating the shutter replacement on my M50 yesterday as it was a public holiday. It's got to be the worst possible repair because you have to remove every single sub-assembly to get to it, of which there are maaany. Just insane amount of manual assembly required to put this together compared to something like a phone or even a laptop.

Other than one little latch on the flash housing that held me back for like half an hour as I triple-checked that I removed all the screws, it wasn't too bad taking it apart. Until I realized that I can't find my permanent market to mark the position of screws on the sensor board (to retain the focus alignment)
I finished the job yesterday (other than putting on the outer covers) and it's working! You only need the tools that you see here and a lot of patience but it's possible to DIY a shutter replacement. The only sketchy part was removing the sensor, as it uses the screws to adjust the focus plane so you have to be very careful to put it back exactly as it was. I used a permanent marker to mark how many rotations the screws took. It seems that it was close enough at least that I can't see anything wrong.

I used this part, but it was $70 when I bought it lol. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000931858376.html

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hey everyone, I decided to pick up a DSLR Camera as I have been taking a few nice shots whilst walking my dog with my phone and thought it would be cool to do some properly. I saw this bundle on ebay and based on my limited research decided to go for it:

Canon EOS Rebel XTi 10.1MP DSLR
Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 with Image Stabilization with a UV-filter.
Batter pack and charger.
2gb compact flash card
8gb compact flash card
Shoulder strap

This cost me £90 and I thought it seemed a good set for a beginner. Am I right in thinking the next thing to pick up would be another lens? I know 50mm are recommended though I have also seen Sigma 70-300mm are also good pickups.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
What are you interested in taking pictures of ? You may use it for a couple weeks with the included lens and then see what you think is lacking and go from there.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

This cost me £90 and I thought it seemed a good set for a beginner. Am I right in thinking the next thing to pick up would be another lens? I know 50mm are recommended though I have also seen Sigma 70-300mm are also good pickups.

As Sleepytime said, it certainly depends on what you're shooting, but my go-to budget lenses would be the Canon 55-250 STM (make sure you get the STM as its sharper than earlier versions and has a silent focus motor) and either the Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 OS or Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 non-VC version. The Sigma has optical stabilization and silent focusing, but is more expensive. Not sure what they go for in the UK, but they can be found pretty cheap here in the US considering how useful they are.

dank glitterqueef
Nov 6, 2005

Not sure if I can really afford a meaningful upgrade on my budget, but I was hoping to get some advice...

I'm shooting on a Rebel T2i and have been using my EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lens to take photos of birds & other wildlife for the last couple years, but the chromatic aberration issues and shakiness I deal with with my current setup has made me wonder if I could get a little bit better quality than I have right now. Faster AF would be a bonus as well but overall I'm primarily concerned with the quality of my final images. Any recommendations for lenses of similar focal lengths that I might reasonably be able to find for under $500 that would get me any noticeable difference? I don't have much to work with so maybe it's something I'll have to table until I can put more money towards upgrading.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sleepytime posted:

What are you interested in taking pictures of ? You may use it for a couple weeks with the included lens and then see what you think is lacking and go from there.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

As Sleepytime said, it certainly depends on what you're shooting, but my go-to budget lenses would be the Canon 55-250 STM (make sure you get the STM as its sharper than earlier versions and has a silent focus motor) and either the Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 OS or Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 non-VC version. The Sigma has optical stabilization and silent focusing, but is more expensive. Not sure what they go for in the UK, but they can be found pretty cheap here in the US considering how useful they are.

Thanks for the replies, so the main thing at the moment is really landscapes with light and shadow, usually with my dog in them:

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

dank glitterqueef posted:

Not sure if I can really afford a meaningful upgrade on my budget, but I was hoping to get some advice...

I'm shooting on a Rebel T2i and have been using my EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lens to take photos of birds & other wildlife for the last couple years, but the chromatic aberration issues and shakiness I deal with with my current setup has made me wonder if I could get a little bit better quality than I have right now. Faster AF would be a bonus as well but overall I'm primarily concerned with the quality of my final images. Any recommendations for lenses of similar focal lengths that I might reasonably be able to find for under $500 that would get me any noticeable difference? I don't have much to work with so maybe it's something I'll have to table until I can put more money towards upgrading.

Sigma 150-600 mm Contemporary. Less than $800 new and even cheaper used. Terrific lens for the money if you are using DSLR. Not so hot on new RF bodies because of the focus issues but still can work.

dank glitterqueef
Nov 6, 2005

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Sigma 150-600 mm Contemporary. Less than $800 new and even cheaper used. Terrific lens for the money if you are using DSLR. Not so hot on new RF bodies because of the focus issues but still can work.

How would you say this compares to the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 II? Do you know if they're comparable in terms of quality? That one just seems a little more doable for me in terms of price...

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

dank glitterqueef posted:

How would you say this compares to the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 II? Do you know if they're comparable in terms of quality? That one just seems a little more doable for me in terms of price...

The Sigma 150-600 blows the non-L 70-300 completely out of the water, IMO. There are some focus issues for mirrorless systems apparently (though my new R6II *seems* to get along just fine with the Sigma), but if you're on a DSLR I'd say the Sigma is a windmill slam pick over the 70-300.

Also, I've now had my R6II for about 24 hours and I am absolutely floored at how amazing it is compared to my beloved 6D. The autofocus is SO GOOD. The only issue I've had thus far is that when I threw a flash on, it seemed like something with the exposure compensation broke, because every shot was coming out about 3 stops underexposed, but I wasn't able to adjust EC through any of the controls that I could find. I'm sure there's some combination of settings that adjust that, but I haven't had time just yet to figure out what was going on.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Thanks for the replies, so the main thing at the moment is really landscapes with light and shadow, usually with my dog in them:

Hmm. Looks like those pictures are from last year. I think we're gonna need some fresh pictures of that dog.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Lights posted:

Also, I've now had my R6II for about 24 hours and I am absolutely floored at how amazing it is compared to my beloved 6D. The autofocus is SO GOOD. The only issue I've had thus far is that when I threw a flash on, it seemed like something with the exposure compensation broke, because every shot was coming out about 3 stops underexposed, but I wasn't able to adjust EC through any of the controls that I could find. I'm sure there's some combination of settings that adjust that, but I haven't had time just yet to figure out what was going on.

Using third-party lens? I have Tamron 35 mm 1.8 that sometimes does this with mk I (and then sometimes works perfectly). Other than that, perhaps flash settings in menu, ambience priority, flash priority etc

Clarence
May 3, 2012

sb hermit posted:

Hmm. Looks like those pictures are from last year. I think we're gonna need some fresh pictures of that dog.

Maybe OP is the dog - I mean look at the username! These are all self-portraits.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Using third-party lens? I have Tamron 35 mm 1.8 that sometimes does this with mk I (and then sometimes works perfectly). Other than that, perhaps flash settings in menu, ambience priority, flash priority etc

I was using my Sigma 24-35 f/2, so yeah, it could be that. I'll do some testing with my Canon 50 f/1.4 and see if that's the issue, thanks!

sb hermit posted:

:hmmyes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nice

dank glitterqueef
Nov 6, 2005

Lights posted:

The Sigma 150-600 blows the non-L 70-300 completely out of the water, IMO. There are some focus issues for mirrorless systems apparently (though my new R6II *seems* to get along just fine with the Sigma), but if you're on a DSLR I'd say the Sigma is a windmill slam pick over the 70-300.

OK great, thank you for the info. I'm having a lot harder of a time finding the Sigma for sale for under $700 than I am finding the other for under $4-500 though, so I guess I'll have to think on it still.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy my sigma lens

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I love my 150-600 Contemporary.

It's better than the Sport version which is twice the price and twice the weight.

IMG_1254-Edit-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_0583-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The 150-600 is amazing and I have zero problems with it on the R6.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That Sigma does look great. I took the 70-200 on a recent trip and it's frustrating that even the birds that were actually very close, like right theeere, won't fill the frame. Not super into birding but seems like a good idea for any kind of wildlife stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Got some time to test it and it is indeed only happening on my Sigma lens and not on my Canon one. I'm super confused about why it's doing this.

edit: Looks like the issue may actually be the speedlight - I was using my Neewer NW985. I switched to my old Canon 430 EX II, and both lenses got "proper" flash exposures (they did not, however, match the exposure simulation).

However, with the Neewer flash on, the Sigma was 3 stops underexposed from what the exposure simulation showed, while the Canon 50mm matched the exposure simulation exactly.

Guess I gotta buy some new flashes. :negative:

Lights fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 3, 2023