Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

He's gonna bring Lisa back isn't he? The end of all this is Lisa is alive and no one remembers the world where she wasn't.

With the 100% accurate capture of Lisa's personality and legacy, they can finally resurrect their queen and savior in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

...Wait, there was a post office bombing?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

OneMoreTime posted:

Yeah, I think Rush Limbaugh caused it.

Funky went loving insane in the 90s.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
As opposed to now.

gently caress Funky. Can we have Bullwinkle back?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

OneMoreTime posted:

Yeah, in 1996, a year after Timothy McVeigh and the Oklahoma City bombing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nekonohey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bvnzY8GZpQ

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

No Online Animal Left Unfunny

MONETIZE THE ROT

"Why has the last strip been about Kevin wanting to pounce Kell" well it's March so that means it's time for a month-long rut/heat-powered suck-and-gently caress-fest as per...weird "I want to write this" tradition.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

This is merely an observation rather than an expression of offense, but I do feel like "Prince Valiant in the land of the Arabs" is being more a product of its time than it usually is.

Yeah it comes off as a little bit iffy. Although the main thing to me is how anachronistic it seems. Like I know Prince Valiant isn't meant to be accurate to real history, but we've got Islam and classical Roman legionaries wandering around at the same time.

Green Intern posted:

With the 100% accurate capture of Lisa's personality and legacy, they can finally resurrect their queen and savior in the future.

I mean, pretty much right? This final story thus far is:

Lisa dies
Les writes a book
The success of that book prompts Summer to write her own book
That book causes a new social movement that brings about world peace

Thus, Lisa's death directly leads to world peace. Lisa's death redeems humanity.

Saint Lisa?

No, no.

Savior Lisa :kheldragar:

I'm sure this isn't silly in the actual context of a noh play, but this always makes me laugh.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

EasyEW posted:

[
Crankshaft

:china:

Santa's motivation is quite simple, Ed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OKGUAbpj5k

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Ok, what the hell is happening in Funky right now? I don't know much about it but it never struck me as the kind of comic where some magical contrivance can bring a character back from the dead.

Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Dec 20, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 28-29, 1992)

Big Nate

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Luckily for everyone involved, nobody involved in this will be hit with a federal crime due to the fact that this is not a standard US mail truck due to the positioning of the wheel and driver's seat and this is clearly an off-brand delivery service.

(I know I know I'm being a pedant and a scold but I notice these things because I'm work-poisoned)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I'm in suspense for what'll happen to the booze sarcophagus in boarding house

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The tv strips really are the biggest thing pinning C&H in a very specific timeframe, huh?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
And sure enough, service by sundown. Olive & Popeye (the corrected version)

Mister Olympus posted:

I'm in suspense for what'll happen to the booze sarcophagus in boarding house

Whoops, gotta keep the customers satisfied. Welcome back to Our Boarding House, where the usual gang of hecklers and hangers-on try to crack the riddle of the Sphinx. (February 19-21, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (May 6-8, 1920)

Dok's Dippy Natural Disaster (June 21, 1914)

Little Lefty (September 2-4, 1937)

:china: :china: :china:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Hell if I know why we're getting reruns this week, but I'd like to think that thanks to the lead time a series of strips written 6 months ago turned out to be incredibly offensive today and they had to sub these in at the last minute.

Gil Thorp

Recall that Tobias was recruited from the soccer team.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
SO is it becoming regular from here on in boarding house that stories (such as they are) go multiple weeks? I'm surprised at how fast The Major takes over the strip compared to popeye and his

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

It does become the standard as things roll along. I haven't read ahead in the 20s, but the 1939-40 ones that tag along with OOW in the newspapers I'm pulling from tend to keep going for awhile.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail's website has been down all day, so we'll play catch-up once it's back in action.

Popcom

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

The cat is great, but the real star of Nekonaughey is the serious little rich rabbit every time, to me.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

It's a legitimate question. :colbert:

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

A mustard... what? :psyduck:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

:url:

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 03, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

riderchop fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 8, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa-Kx5M-8Ak

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 22, 1954)

This came to mind for me too. This was honestly one of their best host segments. I forget, is this from the Prince of Space episode? I always loved that one.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 7, 2022

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Kazinsal posted:

A mustard... what? :psyduck:

Mustard was a pretty common folk remedy for colds, mostly based on the idea that you can feel it doing something to you so it must be working. That is to say, it feels warm and can make you sweat. Mustard chest plasters / poultices were also used, but either one of them runs the risk of causing chemical burns to the skin if you use too much.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

This is great, but drawing curtains over the window ruins it IMO.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mercury Hat posted:

Mustard was a pretty common folk remedy for colds, mostly based on the idea that you can feel it doing something to you so it must be working. That is to say, it feels warm and can make you sweat. Mustard chest plasters / poultices were also used, but either one of them runs the risk of causing chemical burns to the skin if you use too much.

It should be noted that a "mustard foot bath" would have been dry mustard powder mixed into hot water, not sticking your feet into an actual tub of French's.

Bunter Is Coming

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/6/02

Brenda Starr 12/22-24/49

Smokey Stover 8/26/51

Everyday Movies 11/11/35

"You don't think Mae's popular? Why, she has so many dates she hasn't even time to mend her stockings."

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Well you always need a bad guy. Nobody complained much when he was beating up the Scots and Irish. He’s basically just fightin’ ‘round the world.

What seems off about the Arabs to me compared to the typical exotic foreigner arc in Prince Valiant is that they seem to be portrayed as unusually incompetent compared to their predecessors when strictly speaking, they should probably be among the most dangerous adversaries Prince Valiant has faced given their relative level of technological advancement.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

What seems off about the Arabs to me compared to the typical exotic foreigner arc in Prince Valiant is that they seem to be portrayed as unusually incompetent compared to their predecessors when strictly speaking, they should probably be among the most dangerous adversaries Prince Valiant has faced given their relative level of technological advancement.

We're in a weird limbo where it's both the 5th century and the last bits of Western Rome are falling and somehow the Rashidun/Umayyad Caliphate is also around and ruling up to Syria when that was still East Roman territory?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kavak posted:

We're in a weird limbo where it's both the 5th century and the last bits of Western Rome are falling and somehow the Rashidun/Umayyad Caliphate is also around and ruling up to Syria when that was still East Roman territory?

Much like actual Arthurian legend, Foster tends to mash up a couple centuries of the early medieval period.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

I wouldn't read too far into it. This storyline is about a couple of merchants and their associated hired thugs, not the full force of their respective civilizations.

Plus, this is the comic that has muslims wandering around a full century before the birth of the prophet. It's not exactly meant to be a historical document.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 03, 2001)

[url=]:china:[/url]

When my family got my first Windows machine in the late '90s (we were very late adopters), my dad got a notification that "this operation has performed an illegal operation" and honestly thought that the FBI was going to be knocking on our door. True story.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 30, 1935)

Peanuts (December 10, 1969)

The Funky Winkerbean Farewell Tour, with today's special guest star, an impenetrable wall of words!

The point of all this gibberish is to explain how the "ten years ahead" characters are going to get mainstreamed into Crankshaft once Funky ends...

Crankshaft

...but I kind of feel bad for the twins here. They just graduated high school in Funky, and now they're going to have to go through it all over again.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire Ka-Reruns

Thimble Theater (July 8, 1939)

Out Our Way (July 8-10, 1940)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"Your mind has to remain free of anything I may say or do that could influence what you write. Uhm. Wait. Oh poo poo. Please forget everything I just said and leave."