Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

these things have thrived

and i now know how to make a brooder out of a cardboard box, foil packaging, a coffee jar full of hot water and a towel

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
This thread lied to me.

Not all roosters are handsome boys.
My sister in law's polish silkie farm-mutt rescue:

Two of my favorite breeds, but boy howdy don't hatch their mixed eggs!

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 30, 2022

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
I've tried several times to capture the lovey-dovey matron cat of the farm and I have repeatedly failed. This is one of the many failed attempts to photo or video her melting in my hands to some head rubs. (she's in the lower right)

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Agate’s barred chick is definitely a boy.

They are 4 weeks old as of yesterday. She’s such a good mother.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
had to put wilson in a shallow bath today because he had a little ball of caked up dirt on his toe that i was concerned could eventually lead to me missing the early signs of bumblefoot, and the gaslighting worked well! still didn't make me feel any better, because i'm an evil monster dead-set on cleaning my tiny bird son's feet, but he seemed fine after he realised he was the only one freaking out

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Oh poo poo. Dienes put in sod in the hutch today and they fuckin love it. As she's doing that....we got our first crow!

Not sure who it is, but it happened again later when I was out there. It came from out in their yard and at the time only 3 were out there, so it has to be one of those. I thought I saw Zapdos moving weirdly, so my money is on Zapdos being our boy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
IT'S A BOY :toot:

Korben Dallas is our first official rooster. He helpfully decided to crow right in front of me when no other quail were around just now. Snapped this picture immediately before anyone moved to be sure of my identification.

UPDATE: WE HAVE TWO ROOSTERS NOW! Wumbus crowed right in front of us.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 5, 2022

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Time for another first!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Time for another first!

hallelujah!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Congratulations!! NOW FRY IT AND PUT IT UPON THE TINIEST TOAST YOU CAN FIND

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

my cat is norris posted:

Congratulations!! NOW FRY IT AND PUT IT UPON THE TINIEST TOAST YOU CAN FIND

As household Quail Mistress, the right of prima ovum falls to me.

Going to see if they'll take to more leafy greens and crickets for that deep orange color.

Apparently red chile makes the yolks red. I am intrigued.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I put red chile flakes in with my scratch so my dogs won't eat it. I'll have to see if their yolks start changing color.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Heeeeeeeeeer'e's Wumbus!

https://i.imgur.com/n4kWoWd.mp4

If you haven't heard a quail crowing before, you're welcome. (sound, obviously)

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Dienes posted:

As household Quail Mistress, the right of prima ovum falls to me.

This is the sweetest egg ever laid.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

those are some nice orbs

we are still fighting whatever sickness befell us in october. it's been hard but most of the chickens are doing fine. some have just a little wheezing when they exert themselves but no other symptoms :iiam:

please enjoy a chicken photo dump. these are from last month but nothing has changed much except more crowing. you may notice i have an excess of boys, after selling 8 girls this summer and only one frizzled boy. gonna have to do something about those little guys pretty soon, but a couple of them are so pretty, i'd really like to find them homes if possible, assuming they continue to have good health. i really like the little white and brown guy, his name is Garbanzo and he's a tiny jerk but his feathers are so soft and pretty

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I wish we could have chickens. Look at all those magnificent feathery bastards.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So much poo poo. I only have 4, I don't know how y'all with so many deal.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I wish we could have chickens. Look at all those magnificent feathery bastards.
i love flocks like glompton's where they've gone through enough generations to count as their own regional breed of happy speckled fluffs

Mustache Ride posted:

So much poo poo. I only have 4, I don't know how y'all with so many deal.
lol, i have four too and decided to get back into chickens for the sole purpose of making use of their abundant poo poo in the garden, and they still produce too much poo poo for my needs. i may be poor in money, but i'm rich in poo poo.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
This is my compost system. This pic is from about 2 months ago when I did the last shift. Every 2 months the pile on the right gets moved to the garden and the other piles move over one space, leaving the area on the left empty for a new pile.

I have been working on the current move but it takes me a week or 2 depending on the size of the piles. Now that we don’t have ducks, and the goats still don’t want to sleep in the barn, we are not accumulating as much.

Joburg fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 7, 2022

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

City of Glompton posted:

please enjoy a chicken photo dump.

So many adorables!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i like it when birds (domestic and wild) make direct eye contact and then ruffle their feathers at me. it definitely means something but i've never been able to figure out what.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

it sounds flirtatious but it probably means they will someday murder you in their uprising

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

my cat is norris posted:

it sounds flirtatious but it probably means they will someday murder you in their uprising
:ohdear: three of the ravens did it at me simultaneously yesterday. one of their big neighbourhood trees got cut down, so they're angry...

moose is in palliative care. a few weeks ago now i found her unable to walk or use her wings, her balance is completely gone so i think she's had a stroke or something. any other bird would have found the immobility intolerable, but she honestly still seems happy and not in any pain. she's always spent 95% of her time sitting down so it's not that much of a change. i have been hand-feeding and hand-watering her several times per day, and carrying her to her favourite dust-bathing spots and sprinkling dust over her to help her keep clean. egret is with her all the time, the other two hens are in a separate cage with the rooster and i bring them over in the evenings for visiting time. moose seems to appreciate my efforts.

she's two years and seven months old, which i guess is old for a jumbo. normal-sized quail are officially elderly at three.

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 8, 2022

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oh, Moose. You are the best.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Bless you, sweet little Moose.

Thanks for taking care of such a good lil bird in her old age.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

thank you for all your well wishes, everybody :h: moose is still chugging along. i didn't expect her to last this long, and while she's not really getting better, she's also not getting worse. she's still eating and drinking and bathing and apparently enjoying life, she just can't walk. (she was breathing open-mouthed yesterday and i thought that was it, but she'd just accidentally sealed her nostrils shut with wet crumble.)

in unrelated news, i just saw one of the ancona chicks bounce across the lawn on both legs like a kangaroo lol :confuoot:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Kylo Hen is the chillest bird. She'll sit in my hands like this forever just making happy quail sounds.

Meanwhile, Korben Dallas is gonna be in the recovery cage inside for a bit. He has a bit of a wound on his head.

Might have been fighting Wumbus, but might have been self-inflicted, I saw him pecking into the wire in the door of the hutch earlier which seemed odd.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

If it's on top of the head it's most likely from Wumbus.

Kylo! :kimchi:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

my cat is norris posted:

If it's on top of the head it's most likely from Wumbus.

Kylo! :kimchi:

Its a tiny, tiny spot on his eyelid. When I found him the entire side of his head was covered in blood and I thought he was missing an eye, but no, just messy. After gently cleaning his face he looks 99.99% back to normal.

ETA: Its interesting watching the social dynamics change. Korben's been separated less than 12 hours, but in the vacuum, Volly went from nearly never crowing to crowing nearly constantly.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 13, 2022

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That does sound more like accidental injury from being a fence-pecking dingus.

Are you going to try to keep all of your roosters?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Agate is down to one chick. Her barred boy disappeared the other day.

I started writing this morning but now Agate is down to zero chicks. I left for an appointment and she was chick-less when I got back. I looked all over, and it’s just long gone like the other one. I’m guessing we have a hawk. We’ve seen a possum around but I don’t think they would be able to take big active chicks during the day.

We’ve been rooster-less since the respiratory illness went through the flock but I think it’s time to try again. I found a guy in the area with a couple roosters available so I’ll be getting those soon. The youngest birds in the flock are twelve weeks old so maybe the lack of little morsels will help too.

What a bummer. :smith:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

my cat is norris posted:

That does sound more like accidental injury from being a fence-pecking dingus.

Are you going to try to keep all of your roosters?

We have 13 total quail and 3 are roosters, so we should be fine with that ratio (just shy of 5:1).

If there were problems with aggression, we'd move the boys to their own separate hutch...just trying to avoid having to buy and find a spot to set up a second hutch if at all possible.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yeah! As they get older they may get more rude with one another. Even when I've had good ratios, the boys have ended up hurting each other or just being too much for the girls. I really hope you have better luck!!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Joburg posted:

Agate is down to one chick. Her barred boy disappeared the other day.

I started writing this morning but now Agate is down to zero chicks. I left for an appointment and she was chick-less when I got back. I looked all over, and it’s just long gone like the other one. I’m guessing we have a hawk. We’ve seen a possum around but I don’t think they would be able to take big active chicks during the day.

We’ve been rooster-less since the respiratory illness went through the flock but I think it’s time to try again. I found a guy in the area with a couple roosters available so I’ll be getting those soon. The youngest birds in the flock are twelve weeks old so maybe the lack of little morsels will help too.

What a bummer. :smith:

That IS a bummer. :(

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We just put Korben back out because his eye looked way better overnight.....and he immediately mounted Muad'Dib :doh:

Muad'Dib seems into it though? She started grabbing him back and they were doing a weird-rear end dance. Unless I mis-sexed Muad'Dib and we have gay quail? I know nothing of quail mating habits so this is all really weird to watch.

The other boys didn't bully him, though. Wumbus and Volly were both right there and Volly did some crowing but just went and borbed between some of the plants, Wumbus went inside to get out of the rain.

I'll just have to continue monitoring, and/or find a way to install a camera out there to record when we're not around.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i wonder if it's a dominance thing????

or they're in love, nothing wrong with that

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

BaronVonVaderham posted:

We just put Korben back out because his eye looked way better overnight.....and he immediately mounted Muad'Dib :doh:

Muad'Dib seems into it though? She started grabbing him back and they were doing a weird-rear end dance. Unless I mis-sexed Muad'Dib and we have gay quail? I know nothing of quail mating habits so this is all really weird to watch.
your voyage of discovery is a beautiful thing to see. the quail hold many secrets. exactly how stupid can an animal be? watch and learn

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

a strange fowl posted:

your voyage of discovery is a beautiful thing to see. the quail hold many secrets. exactly how stupid can an animal be? watch and learn
I think they just dance to the beat of a different drum.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

moose is possibly not as close to death as i thought. she spent an hour in a box today and managed to produce an array of healthy-looking turds that added up to about three (quail) eggs in size. in an hour! so hopefully that means she's not actively dying, she has just transformed into a stationary poop machine of maximum efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

a strange fowl posted:

she has just transformed into a stationary poop machine of maximum efficiency.

The ultimate goal of every borb.
Yay, moose!