Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So, I was struggling through the first autumn after the tutorial, not really understanding what I was doing, but the trader arrived, so I built the trading post in an attempt to get more food, which I was running out of. I didn't have much to trade with, however, so I wasn't able to get much... but then later I decided to dismantle the trading post because it was outside and vulnerable. When I did that, I immediately discovered that the trader never packed up their supplies, which meant I now had hundreds of every major resource. I've never played this game for more than a few minutes before this relaunch so I have no idea what just happened. Did they chase a kea or something off the map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Does destroying things refund the materials?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You just de facto seized the entire shipment, congrats!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Deconstructing them gets you a full refund, destruction by other means (e.g. getting smashed by ogres) is usually partial is either treated exactly like deconstruction, or simply deletes the object from existence, depending on the type of object. (TIL!)

e: oh yeah and melting metal objects at a smelter has its own weird and wildly inconsistent rules, you might lose, gain, or retain the amount of metal used to create it based on what the object is and whether it's separated or in a stack

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 6, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You can melt metal for a refund which in some cases was over 100%. Costs fuel though.

E. Might not do that any more though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Made it a year without dying or running out of any food/booze, guess that means I still remember the basics so Im off to some horrid location on the map

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Arist posted:

So, I was struggling through the first autumn after the tutorial, not really understanding what I was doing, but the trader arrived, so I built the trading post in an attempt to get more food, which I was running out of. I didn't have much to trade with, however, so I wasn't able to get much... but then later I decided to dismantle the trading post because it was outside and vulnerable. When I did that, I immediately discovered that the trader never packed up their supplies, which meant I now had hundreds of every major resource. I've never played this game for more than a few minutes before this relaunch so I have no idea what just happened. Did they chase a kea or something off the map?

Yeah that happens when you deconstruct the depot when they're still there. I hope they were dwarves because if it was a human or elf caravan they'll treat it like you killed them and took their poo poo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think they were dwarves, at least.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Arrath posted:

How might I do that. Selecting the door gives me options between passable or forbidden.

thats a good question because i cant find it either. Did they take that out?

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 6, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Arist posted:

Stealing from the traders is a functional starting tactic

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If a trader is killed on your map the associated faction will blame you regardless if you killed them or they died to a bear attack, they may stop trading with you all together.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Popete posted:

If a trader is killed on your map the associated faction will blame you regardless if you killed them or they died to a bear attack, they may stop trading with you all together.

Yeah, but you don't need those jerks anyway.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

How do I determine what I can plant above ground? I made a farm building but the only option is to keep the land furrowed, I don't see a way to plant any of the seeds I have in my stockpile?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh also do not trade any wood items to elves if you plan to keep trading with them. They consider this a grievous crime.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

How do I determine what I can plant above ground? I made a farm building but the only option is to keep the land furrowed, I don't see a way to plant any of the seeds I have in my stockpile?
What seeds you got

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Nessus posted:

What seeds you got

Pig Tail seeds, its what the tutorial embark gave me.

Looking at the WIKI it looks like I have to grow them underground. Is there any way to get more info about items in game?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They really really need to enable this game on GeForce Now so I can couch play it with my MBP or iPad.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Pig Tail seeds, its what the tutorial embark gave me.

pig tails are underground only, you will need to harvest and process some local vegetation to get some seeds for above ground plants. that or trade for some.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Finally home from work and about to begin the glorious story of "Scouredgorges" and my wonderfully named group, The Scarlet Hatchets.

I'm loving the little things about this now, like a "save and continue playing" option. Definitely needs a modifier key for +10 increments when doing stuff like bulk adding embark items.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Had myself a nice little setup going, population around 25 or so. I had quite a lot of livestock, so actually started delving into pens/pastures for the first time. After fending off some mosquito men, I figured I needed to get a bit of protection around the animals, so most of the fortress was outside building walls when we had some visitors.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Hot tip: change the lines in \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dwarf Fortress\data\init\announcements.txt for Migrant_arrival and migrants_arrival to this:

[D_MIGRANTS_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[D_MIGRANT_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:BOX]
you get a pause and popup on migrant waves

Also, submitting this story for my gangtag:

Noticed two of my doggos dead at embark, combat log showed the "fist of rimship" to be the murderer. Who's the fist of rimship? An Armokdamned night creature:

It's now wandering while I am scrambling to arm some poor sods and try to somehow kill it.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 7, 2022

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

oh my god, smart staircase designation.

I am in heaven.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

THEY CAN USE STAIRS

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Here's my submission for the Gang Tag.

Okay, so the Book of Mating I posted about earlier isn't the only treatise on reproduction in my world:

Here's the thing though. All of these? Written by Necromancers apprenticed to a Dwarven Necromancer who's the general of a civilization named "The Fondled Lance" :allears:

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Hearing the new version of the intro music is a delight.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay I went way past the refund window to give it a shot, but after 3 hours, yeah, I just don't like this game compared to Rimworld. I can see the appeal and I think it would be much easier to get into if I hadn't spent so much time with Rimworld first but it feels like an enormous step backward in playability.

Not saying any of this to disparage DF because I can see why it's great, but the official release with a UI did literally zero of the things I was hoping a UI in Dwarf Fortress would do. Beyond the issues I was having with -zero- information about -anything- being presented to the player in-game forcing constant reliance on the wiki, as far as I can tell from reading the wiki none of that information is presented there either. Like, there are 7 million kinds of Stone, but according to the wiki literally the only difference between any of them is that some are magma-safe and some are fire-safe? So none of the stones have different properties re: weight, value, beauty, etc? There are similarly a ton of kinds of wood but same deal there, they all function identically? So why do they exist?

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong (I'm barely mining/chopping any trees), but my wood/stone stockpile room is literally larger than the entire rest of my base combined and still needs to be expanded. I'm not clear how to get meat beyond setting dwarves as hunters, which doesn't seem to generate meat? I have a dedicated fisherman who does nothing but fish and he caught three fish in an entire year? Farming was a pain to figure out and I had to restart my fortress twice because the game wasn't telling me why none of the seeds I had could actually be planted (it's because I needed to dig a separate underground room _away from_ my mountain fortress so that it could have subterranian _soil_ - neither the wiki or anything in-game explained that). Also having to craft furniture at a workshop before placing it in the build menu sucks :(

Anyway, game seems cool but it didn't actually get "a UI", it's pretty much just a tileset over the old DF UI plus mouse support, and still pretty much unplayable for me.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lemon posted:

THEY CAN USE STAIRS

elephants.png

Just wait until you see what the fish can do

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Like, there are 7 million kinds of Stone, but according to the wiki literally the only difference between any of them is that some are magma-safe and some are fire-safe? So none of the stones have different properties re: weight, value, beauty, etc? There are similarly a ton of kinds of wood but same deal there, they all function identically? So why do they exist?

they exist because there are bazillions of types of trees/minerals irl. they exist for the same reason you can get info about how many body hairs a dwarf has on their left pinky finger or whatever

it's cool actually

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

You can leave rocks and logs alone if they’re not dangerous to get to (which can be a big if). You can generate meat by butchering tame animals at a butchers.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

someone awful. posted:

they exist because there are bazillions of types of trees/minerals irl. they exist for the same reason you can get info about how many body hairs a dwarf has on their left pinky finger or whatever

it's cool actually

I guess my complaint is that I'm used to Rimworld where the same thing is true (especially with mods) but they have different properties - some are more beautiful, some are better insulators, some have different trade values, some have more hitpoints so there's actually a reason for me to care about them. Having a bunch of them but they're all identical is not good (imo)

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Not saying any of this to disparage DF because I can see why it's great, but the official release with a UI did literally zero of the things I was hoping a UI in Dwarf Fortress would do. Beyond the issues I was having with -zero- information about -anything- being presented to the player in-game forcing constant reliance on the wiki, as far as I can tell from reading the wiki none of that information is presented there either. Like, there are 7 million kinds of Stone, but according to the wiki literally the only difference between any of them is that some are magma-safe and some are fire-safe? So none of the stones have different properties re: weight, value, beauty, etc? There are similarly a ton of kinds of wood but same deal there, they all function identically? So why do they exist?

Knowing how Tarn and Zach plan they exist because at some indiscriminate time in the future those different characteristics will matter. But since they had to add stone to the game, who not add a BUNCH of stones so they're already in when the load bearing density whatever calculations get added. That's why DF has so much seemingly useless random poo poo bolted into it; insane levels of futureproofing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
fishing is... not exactly bugged, but one of many, many examples of the game's economy being made entirely out of placeholder numbers. while wild animal populations do increase through simulated offscreen breeding (which wasn't true for a very long time, mind) it's trivially easy for even a single competent fisherdwarf to fish a body of water to extinction and then that's that for fishing

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I guess my complaint is that I'm used to Rimworld where the same thing is true (especially with mods) but they have different properties - some are more beautiful, some are better insulators, some have different trade values, some have more hitpoints so there's actually a reason for me to care about them. Having a bunch of them but they're all identical is not good (imo)

it's not necessarily good for gameplay but again, dwarf fortress isn't created first as a game. it has different goals than rimworld, which definitely cares a lot more about playability than dwarf fortress probably ever will

i can totally understand not meshing with it, though. there's a reason DF has been super niche for most of its lifespan!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Whoa now, the different stone types are different colors.

This is very important.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fishermen and fishery workers usually have a bright career in the Dwarf Forces in my experience.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Half of my fortress population is children. They like to play outside, in the snow and rain, thus generating unhappy thoughts. They get upset and go yell at the mayor, which generates some happy thoughts, then they go right back outside to play make believe in a blizzard.

I cheered when one of the little turds got pulverized by a troglodyte.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

i forgot how much i love this game

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

they aren't identical either. they can also be directly linked to a dwarf's preferences and needs.

I had a mayor one time that wanted a zinc bed. instead, he got smashed by a zinc drawbridge that got installed outside his room.

the metals have vastly different properties tied to strength, mass, and various properties.

the gems and stone types differ in value and color for aesthetic purposes.

the soil types have different growing properties.

there's immense depth, but it isn't handed to you on a silver platter like rim world. you have to dig for it, and much of it will take you effort to find and understand.

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

my miners seem to have started ignoring some of my designations for some unknown reason, and are just chilling with 'no job'. Some of the plans are stairs down into damp rock, but others are just carving into normal stone for my bedrooms that I can't see why they're refusing - anything obvious I'm missing?
They were happily mining to the right here until they just... stopped.

e: :doh: the answer was burrows.

Clean Your Teeth fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I think you might enjoy the game more if you stop thinking of this game compared to Rimworld. I get why you would as Rimworld was very obviously inspired by DF but they aren't really going for the same thing and part of the charm of DF is embracing how insanely detailed and deeply simulated the world is and it can be janky at times.

It's totally fine if the game isn't for you. They're both great games in the same genre but focusing on different things.