Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
FYI Amazon has the same deal as target and Best Buy now, $15 Amazon gift card when you buy a $100 iTunes card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I feel like my battery life is worse on my 14 Pro Max than it was on my 12 PM too. Widgets and Home Screen (thanks, autocapitalize) are only at 2% of battery, so if that can be believed it’s something else. AO display obviously costs something, but I’m not sure if that’s it.

Always on display definitely drains a noticeable amount of power. Try disabling that and see.

Also disable background app refresh, disable 120hz by going into accessibility/motion and 'limit FPS' along with turning on airplane mode when you are at home but leave wifi on for wifi calling, will all save you a ton of power and give you some more battery longevity.

You can also prolong the battery life by charging with a 2.5W/5W charger only.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI Amazon has the same deal as target and Best Buy now, $15 Amazon gift card when you buy a $100 iTunes card.

Can iTunes cards be used to pay for services (ATV+, Apple Music, etc)? I remember a time when certain Apple gift cards couldn't be used for certain things, but that might be over?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Can iTunes cards be used to pay for services (ATV+, Apple Music, etc)? I remember a time when certain Apple gift cards couldn't be used for certain things, but that might be over?

Yep, they’re all “Apple gift cards now” and just get applied to your balance.

I’m getting an error using their code on Amazon though. Same thing happened for their last sale too. Ugh.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Fantastical, my favorite macOS/iOS calendar app is offering half off their premium membership through the weekend:

https://flexibits.com/

Family accounts are particularly affordable if you have a few nerd friends who would be interesting in something like it. It’s feature-rich, and I really love the natural text entry and menubar quick entry keyboard shortcuts on my laptop.

It also shows upcoming reminders within your calendar, which is pretty nice, along with the ability to create "Calendar Sets" to group and view specific calendars across services.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 25, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yup, so I always add it to my apple balance and it just pays the Apple one plan.

So , assuming you planned on using the company you get the gift card from , it’s essentially 15% off Apple One.

We use target and Amazon , so I did those two. I rarely shop at Best Buy, so unless I have other purchases planned there I just skip it.

I do a little bit of this this time of year. A few of the subscription services offer stuff like half off for a year, so I did it for some of those two (cancel and add in that case).

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Gay Retard posted:

Fantastical, my favorite macOS/iOS calendar app is offering half off their premium membership through the weekend:

https://flexibits.com/

Family accounts are particularly affordable if you have a few nerd friends who would be interesting in something like it. It’s feature-rich, and I really love the natural text entry and menubar quick entry keyboard shortcuts on my laptop.

It also shows upcoming reminders within your calendar, which is pretty nice, along with the ability to create "Calendar Sets" to group and view specific calendars across services.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve used fantastical for years but haven’t subscribed yet, but for $20 it’s worth a try.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Going from an 11 to a 13 mini, it’s nice to have a phone that’s easy to use one handed. Keeps my posting hand free.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
e -Never mind I have fixed it now.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 30, 2022

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS 16.1.2 is out now

Patch notes:
"Improved compatibility with wireless carriers
Crash Detection optimizations on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone else found autofilling for user/pass, offering to hide email and seemingly the most frequent issue: credit card payments has become really hit and miss?

Can’t tell if an issue in a recent iOS update or just poo poo rear end developers not making their input boxes easily detected by the system but it’s gotten awful.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The prompt to hide your email is definitely hit or miss

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
If you ever have to ask yourself: “are web and/or app developers doing something stupid?” the answer is always yes.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think my iphone 6 (yes really) is finally dying, it's max battery life is 87%, and though I rarely use it, it drains very quickly. I'm looking at buying an SE, either 2nd or 3rd gen. are there any differences between the two that are relevant for someone who only uses it for phone calls, texting, and pictures?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The 3rd-gen SE has 5g (maybe relevant if you end up keeping the thing past 4g’s shut off date lol) and dramatically better battery life. It also has a faster CPU, which isn’t really noticeable at all, as the 2nd-gen still feels extremely fast. The camera is identical (except for maybe some machine learning features?) between both and kind of lovely compared to what a main series iphone or nicer android has.

Having had both I’d say buying a 3rd-gen is worth it, mostly for the battery life.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

The 3rd-gen SE has 5g (maybe relevant if you end up keeping the thing past 4g’s shut off date lol) and dramatically better battery life. It also has a faster CPU, which isn’t really noticeable at all, as the 2nd-gen still feels extremely fast. The camera is identical (except for maybe some machine learning features?) between both and kind of lovely compared to what a main series iphone or nicer android has.

Having had both I’d say buying a 3rd-gen is worth it, mostly for the battery life.

thanks, what is the 4G shut-off date?

i'm not completely fixated on the SE, but I don't want something any bigger than my current phone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's no LTE shutdown date yet (ignoring that T-Mobile shut down the legacy Sprint LTE networks)

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
The 13 mini is your other option if you want something small. Having had both I think the mini is worth the jump in price for the larger screen.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks, i'll get the SE 2nd gen. i barely use and also hate smartphones so that's fine for me

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
LTE is going to be around for a long time yet, there's simply too much using it. Plus plenty of new devices for sale right now that don't have 5G.

(I think the original ref was a throwaway joke about using an iPhone 6 in 2022)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

~Coxy posted:

(I think the original ref was a throwaway joke about using an iPhone 6 in 2022)

I was impressed that a phone from 2016 has 87% battery health.

It must have had a swap at some point, right?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

xzzy posted:

I was impressed that a phone from 2016 has 87% battery health.

It must have had a swap at some point, right?

it could have been as old as 2014 :)

i never changed the battery, but I bought it refurb on ebay maybe four years ago, so perhaps it had been previously.

also if i was using soundcloud (which I can't anymore of course) and the battery was below 30% or w/e or it was cold out the phone would just turn off lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
It's amazing how versatile and useful an old iPhone can be.

I got years of service from my XR and honestly am too stupid to tell much of a difference from a 14pm.

I know the framerate is better but iOS 16 or something makes the battery last not so long.

Nice phone though and I'll probably still be using it in 2025.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

thanks, what is the 4G shut-off date?

i'm not completely fixated on the SE, but I don't want something any bigger than my current phone

3G launched in 2001ish , and literally is just getting turned off next month.

4G launched around 2010. It’s got minimum 12 years. You’ll need a new phone long before 4G goes off.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
As a final gently caress you, Apple Music lost all my playlists when my trial sub ended. Everything. Recent playlists, but also stuff over a decade old that I didn't edit during the sub.

They're still backed up on iTunes on my pc, but what the hell?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weird, I've always kept my Match subscription but it's never tampered with my playlists whenever I've ventured into Music (like yourself, on trials).

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

EL BROMANCE posted:

Weird, I've always kept my Match subscription but it's never tampered with my playlists whenever I've ventured into Music (like yourself, on trials).

That's because you kept your Match subscription

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
has anyone itt recycled old apple products at an apple store? i see they accept them, not sure if they're just cool with you rolling in with a box full of old, busted poo poo to give them or if they want appointments or something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

101 posted:

That's because you kept your Match subscription

drat, I was hoping it was just a bug for that dude but that's pretty lovely it would be tied into that. Match is still useful and cheap enough I won't cancel it but nobody should lose their playlists that are unrelated to the service if they were to.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

has anyone itt recycled old apple products at an apple store? i see they accept them, not sure if they're just cool with you rolling in with a box full of old, busted poo poo to give them or if they want appointments or something.

I've never brought a box of apple scrap, but I have brought abandoned phones and ipods in. As long as the batteries aren't bulging they'll accept anything made by Apple. If it's relatively recent stuff they can give you an apple gift card for it.. they got a list of prices on their website.

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

You can just walk in, they don't really seem to enforce appointments anymore though can make one if you want to.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

xzzy posted:

I've never brought a box of apple scrap, but I have brought abandoned phones and ipods in. As long as the batteries aren't bulging they'll accept anything made by Apple. If it's relatively recent stuff they can give you an apple gift card for it.. they got a list of prices on their website.

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

You can just walk in, they don't really seem to enforce appointments anymore though can make one if you want to.

Perfect, thanks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Either Wireguard or iOS doesn't seem to like quick network hopping too much. I have it frequently happen that the VPN connection gets stuck in "Connecting..." state, loving up networking, and requiring a reboot. It appears to happen when I cross country borders and it's switching between various 4G connections back and forth and occasionally onto 5G and back. Not sure if this is an iPhone Pro 14 thing or whether it came with iOS 16. Because that didn't happen in the past.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Quick poll:

I’m debating actually getting one of these things for my office. Which iPhone display should I consider getting:

https://gridstudio.cc/collections/iphone

I’d lean towards the 5 personally.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
SE

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lol I thought that might be a vote here. I never owned the SE though. The 5 and 5S yes, OG SE no.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Quick poll:

I’m debating actually getting one of these things for my office. Which iPhone display should I consider getting:

https://gridstudio.cc/collections/iphone

I’d lean towards the 5 personally.

I really like the 4.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
5/5S/SE is by far the coolest design. I just picked the SE because I think the Space Gray or whatever is slightly more stark looking than the Midnight of the 5.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
My iPhone X works fine when I plug headphones into the lightning port. It will not charge when I plug any of the cords I have into the lightning port. Is the port dead?

Will getting a new phone magically make my car's microphone work over bluetooth and carplay?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

American McGay posted:

5/5S/SE is by far the coolest design. I just picked the SE because I think the Space Gray or whatever is slightly more stark looking than the Midnight of the 5.

It's Space Black.
(and that's actually why I'd get the 5)

Hdip posted:

My iPhone X works fine when I plug headphones into the lightning port. It will not charge when I plug any of the cords I have into the lightning port. Is the port dead?

It likely just has some lint or other crap in it that is blocking the power pin but not the audio pin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

4 or 4S