Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All those people are just high on extreme ideology. Not me though, I know I'm right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm open to being wrong.

I was the one who was originally written off as a dumb idealogue. Or am I not allowed to push back :)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Zizek with wet metallic spray paint in his beard: *sniff* "we are all already high on ideology" *sniff*

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Zizek with wet metallic spray paint in his beard: *sniff* "we are all already high on ideology" *sniff*

zizek give us the alloys

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

what's up with all the anal probing?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Barry Foster posted:

Nah, it doesn't, at least not in any quantities remotely able to provide an actual hallucinogenic experience, and even then not the kind of consistent and ultra-clear experiences of an NDE, which is very different to psychedelics (so say people who've had both)

The DMT hypothesis is pretty solidly refuted already

Could use references to this because in searching the literature I come up with a bunch of hits from 2018-2019 on both DMT and ketamine mimicking NDEs, and a paper dated 2022 expanding upon the ketamine paper in particular, so it looks like research in this area is continuing at least. But I've not done a deep dive into this area like many of you because there is only so much time in the day. I do have a copy of Michael Pollan's recent book so perhaps I'll start there.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251220135_Endogenous_Ketamine-Like_Compounds_and_the_NDE_If_So_So_What

Look, I have no dog in the fight of whether NDEs are "real" or not--ITT I've been pretty clearly on the side of "the meaning one takes from an experience is real" full stop. The consistency of experiences is compelling, but biology is a consistent factor so vOv And I can see how it would be beneficial to the individual undergoing death to be calmed and reassured, although THERE IS NO HERITABILITY IN THIS TRAIT, BY DEFINITION.

At least its something to talk about while we wait for OUR GODDAMNED REPORT

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Egg Moron posted:

My G spot is up my rear end

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

probe anuses not posters

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Has today's high valee been posted, that's a dude who gets some good ideology

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Has today's high valee been posted, that's a dude who gets some good ideology

Highdeology*

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

At least its something to talk about while we wait for OUR GODDAMNED REPORT

give me that loving aitee report

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

it’s December lol no report is ever coming out

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

SANTA I HAVE BEEN GOOD

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'm open to being wrong.
Somehow I doubt it

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I can't remember where I saw it now but somebody claimed they were told the report was turned in but people in Congress told them to pound sand and redo it because it was too vague and inconclusive and they weren't accepting that poo poo. Basically a furtherance of the tug of war between the disclosure and cover up groups.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
The evolutionary advantage of NDE/Good Feels Dying is religion ("boo!"). You can get a lot of collective poo poo done in pre-history (and beyond) by saying "cuz God(s) said so".

NDEs create prophets & saints. Good Feels Dying helps these monkeys with absurd craniums process witnessing death. Their big brains get up to nothing good after they've seen folks pass through the veil while screaming in terror, believe you me.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Egg Moron posted:

mass displacement of traumatogenic agents

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06j8SeT7FDM

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I have personal experience with meditation, hypnosis and lucid dreaming, it's all good. I don't see how they imply anything beyond a physical brain though.

I didn't say they did. You were dismissing spirituality wholesale of which meditation is firmly a part. We have evidence of objective effects upon reality by way of meditation, namely in its ability to promote grey matter growth and brain functional connectivity. Beyond that it does also, and this is studied, allow for seemingly superhuman feats like withstanding/surviving extreme conditions, extreme pain, and other demonstrations of willpower translating directly to measurable effects in reality (outside subjectivity).

Victor Vermis posted:

The evolutionary advantage of NDE/Good Feels Dying is religion ("boo!"). You can get a lot of collective poo poo done in pre-history (and beyond) by saying "cuz God(s) said so".

NDEs create prophets & saints. Good Feels Dying helps these monkeys with absurd craniums process witnessing death. Their big brains get up to nothing good after they've seen folks pass through the veil while screaming in terror, believe you me.

Presumably the transformative nature of the NDE, routinely remaking the experiencer into a kinder, more compassionate, more empathetic, more joyful, and in every way more realized person is a powerful epistemic motivator irrespective of whether it Feels Good (important to mention that unpleasant, neutral, or hellish NDEs are as transformative and towards the same transformative ends as the more common heavenly type).

Also you are here being selective in what feature of the NDE to highlight. What is the advantage of this experience being hyperreal? You may say that it's a more powerful epistemic motivator because it's hyperreal but that doesn't it explain how it can be hyperreal nor does it explain why it would be, since it would reasonably be just as motivational if it was merely as real as our waking life. Against your point, this feature tends to be demotivational in terms of experience integration and personal realization/growth since presumably everyone prefers to live in the color TV set than the black and white one.

Actually considering a huge percentage of people who have an NDE say they would've preferred to stay there than return, it's at least a little surprising that there aren't more post-NDE suicides. A one-two punch of "afterlife is definitely real" and "it's definitely real and way, way better than your current shithole" seems pretty suicide inducing. Fortunately most, almost all, experiencers feel compelled to fulfill a mission and want to see out the rest of their life. Helpfully, and to your point, the NDE typically imprints the idea that life is, like, hilariously short relative to the greater life/reality so that's also a fair motivator to just see it out. Contradictory to the now less-real experience of the waking life NDErs also typically have a reinvigorated love and appreciation for life, especially natural beauty.

In any case I'm not entirely convinced by the premise that prosociality requires religion (or even that religion promotes prosociality to a greater degree than it inhibits it!), but going along with your premise there you go. If the NDE was a powerful social motivator and has occurred in 10-12% of the human population since the beginning of history then I would surely expect much more ecological conservatism, pantheism, pacifism, and thanatophilia than we find in cultures around the world, both presently and historically.

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Dec 7, 2022

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

just say it's arriving in aitee days at this point. I'll believe it when I see it.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i'm now certain flatliners was a limited hangout

not really but i do wonder now if some/any people have tried to induce an NDE to get some answers

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Sleekly posted:

not really but i do wonder now if some/any people have tried to induce an NDE to get some answers

Buddy, yes. Absolutely

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The house of cards is falling, baby

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Buddy, yes. Absolutely

any notable journals or diaries from these folks?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Sleekly posted:

any notable journals or diaries from these folks?

There are at least two entries, although I think there's a handful, on NDERF about religious, indigenous practices centered around NDEs that I've read. The shaman induces the NDE state but they are actually near death, suffering respiratory distress usually. They are called back by the shaman's voice but if I remember correctly one woman required strong blows to the back to bring her back. I'm sorry but doing some keyword searches on NDERF came up empty, I read these a long time ago and didn't index them by memorizing keywords for later.

Besides these accounts I've also heard it said by experiencers in interviews and by researchers in interviews/lectures. In any case it's been mentioned more than once and in more than one place so I will say with absolute certainty that there are non-zero amounts of people intentionally inducing near-death states to provoke NDEs. Whether or not they are doing something which is a trick or a real induction of a real state, it is being done.

If I stumble on anything or manage to track an account down I'll post it up

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 06:47 on Dec 7, 2022

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

There are at least two entries, although I think there's a handful, on NDERF about religious, indigenous practices centered around NDEs that I've read. The shaman induces the NDE state but they are actually near death, suffering respiratory distress usually. They are called back by the shaman's voice but if I remember correctly one woman required strong blows to the back to bring her back. I'm sorry but doing some keyword searches on NDERF came up empty, I read these a long time ago and didn't index them by memorizing keywords for later.

Besides these accounts I've also heard it said by experiencers in interviews and by researchers in interviews/lectures. In any case it's been mentioned more than once and in more than one place so I will say with absolute certainty that there are non-zero amounts of people intentionally inducing near-death states to provoke NDEs. Whether or not they are doing something which is a trick or a real induction of a real state, it is being done.

all good, i will look around too, thanks

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There are NDEs because there is actually process for what happens during and after death. It's plausibly understandable and observable if you knew what to test for, and what you were looking at. just like all natural laws are fundamentally knowable with the right context and perspective.

I'm gonna die stubborn about this, we cannot overcome certain kinds of bias without outside help, and so the gap between what we know and what we can know is basically infinite, and contains poo poo that would seem superstitious to busted little NDT brains that are "open to being wrong", who live and die never feeling like they were ever so; certain they know what's best for them and everyone else and never really questioning the fundamental assumptions that prop up their ephemeral, weak beta brains

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I would like to take this opportunity to once again recommend The OA on netflix to anybody who enjoys this thread or likes reading about NDEs. One of the most underrated shows of all time and it's a crime of the highest order it didn't get a third season.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i liked that show but thought S2 was not needed at all other than to flesh out some ideas about how such a multiverse model can make itself felt. kinda like the matrix did the job completely well, no need for 2 and 3 and more but just my two cents on storytelling

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~
I'm sorry I thought this was the UFO thread, not the dumb-gently caress drugs and dying are god thread. I'll just leave and find the UFO thread which while based on little evidence, at least posits a cogent theory that makes a lick of sense.

Obviously I wouldn't want to trawl through pages of nonsense with people seemingly arguing that the existence of NDE's is evidence of...( insert whatever you think you are arguing for here I haven't a clue. Space Yahweh?)

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Pennant posted:

I'm sorry I thought this was the UFO thread, not the dumb-gently caress drugs and dying are god thread. I'll just leave and find the UFO thread which while based on little evidence, at least posits a cogent theory that makes a lick of sense.

Obviously I wouldn't want to trawl through pages of nonsense with people seemingly arguing that the existence of NDE's is evidence of...( insert whatever you think you are arguing for here I haven't a clue. Space Yahweh?)

lol

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Pennant posted:

which while based on little evidence, at least posits a cogent theory that makes a lick of sense.

I make a lot of posts like that but they are kinda boring tbh

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pennant posted:

i am going to bodyslam you into the light of God Almighty MotherFucker

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pennant posted:

Didn't read

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I like the paranormal stuff adjacent to UFOs. It's good for times in between aitee drops.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pennant posted:

Lol who the gently caress are you?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Like I'm not (just) being rude it just seems really weird to storm out of a thread you've barely participated in in a big huff

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

drive by tantrums are funny

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The existence of NDT's is evidenced of something but I'm not sure what just yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I swear to God there's a certain kind of person who, it's just entirely possible to hand them every tool possible to interrogate every system that informs how they process the world, and they still somehow come out the other side sounding like a dad that's more unpleasant and way more on-spectrum than NDT and even still more sanctimonious than a medieval His Holiness The Pope but just about vapid epic science poo poo