Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Clean Your Teeth posted:

my miners seem to have started ignoring some of my designations for some unknown reason, and are just chilling with 'no job'. Some of the plans are stairs down into damp rock, but others are just carving into normal stone for my bedrooms that I can't see why they're refusing - anything obvious I'm missing?
They were happily mining to the right here until they just... stopped.

They may have misplaced their pickaxes. Make a stockpile for some and someone will pick them up and put them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

they aren't identical either. they can also be directly linked to a dwarf's preferences and needs.

I had a mayor one time that wanted a zinc bed. instead, he got smashed by a zinc drawbridge that got installed outside his room.

the metals have vastly different properties tied to strength, mass, and various properties.

the gems and stone types differ in value and color for aesthetic purposes.

the soil types have different growing properties.

there's immense depth, but it isn't handed to you on a silver platter like rim world. you have to dig for it, and much of it will take you effort to find and understand.

It is worth saying that despite the vast unknowable depths, this version is very much less obtuse about a lot of things. I've been playing for over a decade and I just found out cavern soil is the best soil because the farm plot straight up tells you that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How do I look at all the different potential embark sites the finder has found for me

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

canepazzo posted:

Hot tip: change the lines in \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dwarf Fortress\data\init for Migrant_arrival and migrants_arrival to this:

[D_MIGRANTS_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:BOX]
[D_MIGRANT_ARRIVAL:A_D:D_D:BOX]
you get a pause and popup on migrant waves

Thanks this is very useful, and for anyone wondering which file to look in it's announcements.txt

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

someone awful. posted:

it's not necessarily good for gameplay but again, dwarf fortress isn't created first as a game. it has different goals than rimworld, which definitely cares a lot more about playability than dwarf fortress probably ever will

i can totally understand not meshing with it, though. there's a reason DF has been super niche for most of its lifespan!

I'll stop posting here because I'm not trying to poo poo on this game and its legacy, but stuff like this is exactly what makes Rimworld a better "Story Generator" than DF for me. There are mechanics in place to support the story. My colonists have to make a difficult decision about where they want to use their limited supply of plasteel because it's not just interchangeable with every other type of metal, etc.

I think the main difference is that DF is focused on generating the story and history of the world at large where Rimworld is focused on generating the story of your individual colony. Each one has mechanics that support the emergent narrative of that specific aspect of it but are largely lacking the mechanics to support the other. I can see the value of both but Rimworld's version of storytelling is much more engrossing for me personally.

e: Also I'm not trying to say that Rimworld is a better game, I just know a lot of long-time Rimworld players are looking at DF and salivating right now and I just wanted to post some context on my personal thoughts for any of them reading this thread :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 6, 2022

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Clean Your Teeth posted:

my miners seem to have started ignoring some of my designations for some unknown reason, and are just chilling with 'no job'. Some of the plans are stairs down into damp rock, but others are just carving into normal stone for my bedrooms that I can't see why they're refusing - anything obvious I'm missing?
They were happily mining to the right here until they just... stopped.

Do you have them assigned to a burrow? If so check the burrow boundaries.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Maduo posted:

It is worth saying that despite the vast unknowable depths, this version is very much less obtuse about a lot of things. I've been playing for over a decade and I just found out cavern soil is the best soil because the farm plot straight up tells you that.

The reason you didn't know about that before is because that's new in the Steam version.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think the main difference is that DF is focused on generating the story and history of the world at large where Rimworld is focused on generating the story of your individual colony. Each one has mechanics that support the emergent narrative of that specific aspect of it but are largely lacking the mechanics to support the other. I can see the value of both but Rimworld's version of storytelling is much more engrossing for me personally.

I disagree, have you read any of the DF let's plays or watched something like a Kruggsmash video? DF generates amazing stories within your fort, what makes it even cooler is your fort matters/exists in the scope of the entire history of the world.

I love Rimworld, I've definitely played it way more than DF but there is just something really unique about DF's ability to create a fully intertwined world.

Popete fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 6, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

That said it's totally fine if it's not for you. It's quite a specific thing. I feel that Rimworld and DF are comparable in terms of story generation, to be honest.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How do I look at all the different potential embark sites the finder has found for me

They show up as tiny yellow boxes on the zoomed out embark map. I thought for sure it was lying to me but eventually was able to visually locate a single little yellow box, zoom in, and embark.

It would be nice to zoom to the location or view them as a list, I think you have to cursor over them now to view all the search sites that meet your criteria.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Maugrim posted:

Thanks this is very useful, and for anyone wondering which file to look in it's announcements.txt

Is it worth putting a few steam version tips like this into the op?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I have a considerable number of hours under my belt playing Dwarf Fortress. On the steam version is it worth doing the tutorial to get a handle on the new user interface, or not worth it?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Popete posted:

I disagree, have you read any of the DF let's plays or watched something like a Kruggsmash video? DF generates amazing stories within your fort, what makes it even cooler is your fort matters/exists in the scope of the entire history of the world.

I love Rimworld, I've definitely played it way more than DF but there is just something really unique about DF's ability to create a fully intertwined world.

This is exactly what I mean - DF is focused on giving you that stuff (the emergent story of the world) whereas Rimworld is focused on giving you the emergent story of your colony by e.g. more deeply-simulated psychology and needs of the colonists, stories behind why a specific construction material was chosen, etc.

DF takes your fort and makes it part of the world. Rimworld takes your colony and makes the world part of it. They're both neat concepts, but I didn't realize the difference before playing DF today and I'm not really into the DF concept myself.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Diogines posted:

I have a considerable number of hours under my belt playing Dwarf Fortress. On the steam version is it worth doing the tutorial to get a handle on the new user interface, or not worth it?

The tutorial is like 10 steps and a few minutes long, might as well.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Diogines posted:

I skipped it and didn't have much trouble.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Them somehow managing to make Dwarf Fortress somewhat user friendly with a functional UI and everything is nothing short of a miracle. I haven't tried it myself yet but it sounds like new untainted people are largely only having minor problems.

I've been playing this game for years and I worry that I pickup this new version the ways I've twisted my brain to fit the game won't work anymore.

I'm 100% going to buy the Steam version up.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

This is exactly what I mean - DF is focused on giving you that stuff (the emergent story of the world) whereas Rimworld is focused on giving you the emergent story of your colony by e.g. more deeply-simulated psychology and needs of the colonists, stories behind why a specific construction material was chosen, etc.

you get this stuff in DF too, actually! the dwarves have preferences for certain materials they enjoy or hate, their history and beliefs and personalities inform the art they create, etc.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

DF takes your fort and makes it part of the world. Rimworld takes your colony and makes the world part of it. They're both neat concepts, but I didn't realize the difference before playing DF today and I'm not really into the DF concept myself.

i never got that story making aspect of rimworld-
but df takes it way more seriously. You have the whole world reaching story aspect where some goblin becomes god of dwarven civilization and can visit you.
then you got the more detailed story of dwarves surviving day to day live in the fortress. With them getting terrified by murder crows pecking em off a cliff.
encountering murder mysteries with vampires and were creatures etc...

with rimworld its much more simpler than that. But at same time rimworld is more mature in terms of UI.
Graphical DF release is step in in good direction but its still way off from being perfect.
If you want some form of middle ground between complexity of df and rimworlds approachability with lots of added weirdness. I would recommend amazing cultivator simulator

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

palindrome posted:

They show up as tiny yellow boxes on the zoomed out embark map. I thought for sure it was lying to me but eventually was able to visually locate a single little yellow box, zoom in, and embark.

It would be nice to zoom to the location or view them as a list, I think you have to cursor over them now to view all the search sites that meet your criteria.

They show up green for me, basically when the search overlay over the map is happening just look for the different colored boxes that show up. There's no way to just zoom into all of them tho

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can you replace my current gang tag with the DF gangtag?

My submission is this. Atera Splatteredford became the first pick up artist in my world and wrote the book 'Do you know mating?'

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

But that's what I was getting at, I think DF makes compelling stories of your fort as well it's just less guided I guess. Like Rimworld has story driven AI that will react to how good/bad your fort is doing (accumulated wealth, pawn death) to drive the story forward and create suspense, DF doesn't do that directly but it happens dynamically simply because of the detailed simulation of the world. Yes there are invasions but I don't believe they are driven by how well/poorly your fort is doing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dark Off posted:

i never got that story making aspect of rimworld-
but df takes it way more seriously. You have the whole world reaching story aspect where some goblin becomes god of dwarven civilization and can visit you.
then you got the more detailed story of dwarves surviving day to day live in the fortress. With them getting terrified by murder crows pecking em off a cliff.
encountering murder mysteries with vampires and were creatures etc...

with rimworld its much more simpler than that. But at same time rimworld is more mature in terms of UI.
Graphical DF release is step in in good direction but its still way off from being perfect.
If you want some form of middle ground between complexity of df and rimworlds approachability with lots of added weirdness. I would recommend amazing cultivator simulator

I can't imagine ACS being MORE approachable than DF (then again I played it before the translation was finished) but yeah, my top 3 games played on steam:

That's why I'm so surprised that I just do not like anything about DF :sweatdrop:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

BMan posted:

the wall is full of jittering noise, which it really shouldn't be

efb

sounds like hidden fun stuff

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there current usable "Prepare Carefully" setups I can crib from?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Has anyone figured out how to disallow seeds from cooking? I think I doomed myself.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

sebmojo posted:

Is it worth putting a few steam version tips like this into the op?

:justpost:

How do I remove a farm plot?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I can't imagine ACS being MORE approachable than DF (then again I played it before the translation was finished) but yeah, my top 3 games played on steam:

That's why I'm so surprised that I just do not like anything about DF :sweatdrop:

The reason you're getting a bit of pushback is that every time you say 'DF doesn't do X' it kinda seems that it does. It does do X. And it's totally fine if you just don't like it! You don't have to like every game in a genre that you're fond of. I love ARPGs but I can't stand Grim Dawn and lots of people really love it. So it's all good.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

GruntyThrst posted:

Has anyone figured out how to disallow seeds from cooking? I think I doomed myself.

Go to the labor menu in the bottom left and then the "kitchen" tab, then you should be able to change permissions on cooking/brewing.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

e: Also I'm not trying to say that Rimworld is a better game, I just know a lot of long-time Rimworld players are looking at DF and salivating right now and I just wanted to post some context on my personal thoughts for any of them reading this thread :kiddo:

Thanks for posting! As a fellow rimworld fan I was excited about DF but everything you've mentioned has lowered my expectations by a ton.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm gonna probably do this current fort i started this morning, then I'll go and wait for whatever equivalent mod gives additional dwarves. Then I'll start the stupid megaprojects.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

How does one see how many people are playing a particular game on steam? I don't think I've ever come across that info.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Wolfechu posted:

How does one see how many people are playing a particular game on steam? I don't think I've ever come across that info.

https://steamdb.info/app/975370/graphs/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh man, I actually understand squad mechanics for like, the first time ever. The military interface is WAY better. Also the little help topics under ? in the upper left are super useful. There's a lot more up there than the tutorial goes through.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I'm currently a week(ish) into my first fortress and I have done nothing except scale up stockpile space the entire time

how have you been playing the game for a week already....

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

hot tip, newbies:

If you (custom) embark with a couple of war dogs*, and at least 2 ropes, create a 1x1 entrance/exit leading from the outside into your fort. This can either be through constructed walls (if say you just dug straight down and not into the mountain side), or mined walls. Construct 1 rope on either side of your new entrance and assign a war dog* to each one. If a Kea (or any other critter) tries to enter your fort to steal something, it will be attacked by the dogs. Obviously this only works if everything of value is contained within your walls.

caveat: this was a foolproof method in classic DF, I only assume it hasn't been changed for Steam.

*only ever done it with war dogs, other animals may suffice :shrug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I cannot wait to get home from work and sink countless hours into this game again!

Having played a ton of Rimworld myself, and a bunch of Dwarf Fortress back in the day, the differences you're describing may be due to familiarity. Like, when you have a thousand hours of Rimworld, you understand all its nuances, and the bits that matter to your story come into the forefront.

You are not at that point with Dwarf Fortress, and it will take a long time to get to that point. For instance you were talking about indistinguishable materials in DF but the interesting decisions around Plasteel in Rimworld. Adamantine is the Plasteel of Dwarf Fortress with some incredible properties you'll have to read a wiki to really figure out (I'm pretty sure plasteel is the color it is in Rimworld as a reference to the color of adamantine). There's a lot more chaff you have to sort through in Dwarf Fotress that Rimworld just collects all into one easier to understand single thing, but that doesn't mean Rimworld has more meaningful flavor, just easier to discern flavor.

With countless hours played in both I really think Rimworld's only advantages are accessibility and focus on balanced gameplay challenges. Pretty big advantages to be sure, but I while love Rimworld but the things you're describing aren't the things it actually does better in my experience.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

pizzabutt posted:

They show up green for me, basically when the search overlay over the map is happening just look for the different colored boxes that show up. There's no way to just zoom into all of them tho

Oh, I bet that is because for me there was only 1 zone that fit the finder criteria, and it was only a partial match (aquifer present when searching for no aquifer) and thus yellow. Green must be when all your search settings match.

A random odd thing I noticed is I couldn't find a way to put skills into "Building Designer" or "Architect" when preparing carefully for the journey. I used to like to put a few skill points into building designer but I can't seem to find that skill on any of the embark screen tabs. Essential, labor, military, other... nada. Maybe they renamed it to something else or I'm just not seeing it.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Has anyone had problems with the menus not rendering correctly?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've had no luck with fortresses so far but I'm having fun, haven't played in 7-8+ years. I think the interactive part of the tutorial could stand to be a lot more varied in what it covers since it doesn't even tell you about bins/barrels and such though I think that's all in the help menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Forgot how inherently funny this game is