Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Randarkman posted:

Are the rewards even that good? They seem okay, but nothing I'd really like to bother myself about too much except maybe switching out some missions I don't think I can complete while just playing.

For completing all five weekly missions? It basically doubles the currency you receive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What's the max rating for weapons and curios again? It was ~350 for gray weapons, right?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SplitSoul posted:

What's the max rating for weapons and curios again? It was ~350 for gray weapons, right?

It goes as high as 380 for the base stats (not including blessings or perk) but it's very rare.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Looks to be 380ish. The five stats are capped at 80, but the total cap is 380, so 4*80 + one stat at 60 in a perfect roll.

Realistically, most weapons will have one or even two dump stats, like ammo for the Plasma Gun, so you might still get some Perfect Enough weapons at lower ratings.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I get to play a couple of missions every couple of days or so between work and other responsibilities as my free time, and I've yet to complete a single request for Sire Melk. They take too long, are too dependent on RNG for missions and enemies, and sometimes don't even count progress properly.
That part of the game may as well not exist. Replacing the box system from Vermintide with a shop that refreshes based on a timer and exceptionally rare Gifts from the Emperor means the loot drive also more or less doesn't exist. I can check the shop every couple of missions to see if a flamer or something I unlocked 90 minutes of play ago is available I guess. Within half the time I put in to DarkTide, with Vermintide 2 I had unlocked multiple subclasses for Bardin and gotten to play around with all the different Dwarven weapons to figure out which fit my playstyle the best.

Which is a shame because, again, the presentation and combat feedback is fantastic enough to tempt me to come back despite all that. The game CAN be great but there's enough dragging it down, including weird steps backwards in player rewards, that I just want to go back to Vermintide.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Literally all they'd have to do is REFRESH them once a week but let me work on them as long as necessary.

I was half way done with three of them after a weekend and that's as good as it'll ever be for me because I play probably less than ten or twelve matches a week.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also extremely dumb that level and loot are so necessary. If your friend wants to join you in playing, you'll be stuck grinding level 1->2 mission with them, or carrying them through the other maps. You really, really, can't do poo poo with low level gear. It's just bad.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Imo difficulty 3 is extremely doable once you understand how the game works and can pair with some reliable higher level friends. Sometimes you might wipe to some insane spawns the director dumps on you but after the buffs to rewards it's generally more worth your time to fail occasionally.

I wouldn't try it solo though.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Also extremely dumb that level and loot are so necessary. If your friend wants to join you in playing, you'll be stuck grinding level 1->2 mission with them, or carrying them through the other maps. You really, really, can't do poo poo with low level gear. It's just bad.

In fairness, this was a problem in Vermintide 2 as well, though it handled the leveling better in terms of access to different careers with their own talent trees and ults alongside better control over weapons you were using as you completed the leveling process. Darktide is undeniably a step backwards in the granularity of exactly what you're using and when in the leveling journey. Both games will end up in the same place once your characters are at 30, Darktide is just going to be a longer journey to that point.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm still crashing over half my games, with the thread count already reduced, so I give up. I will try in a few weeks again. Because sure is nice to crash 20 min in a match and not win any xp or gold (rejoining rarely works, too).

edit: mind you, I don't remember any other game being so crashy on my pc, so it doesn't seem to be my computer.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 6, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Evil Kit posted:

Imo difficulty 3 is extremely doable once you understand how the game works and can pair with some reliable higher level friends. Sometimes you might wipe to some insane spawns the director dumps on you but after the buffs to rewards it's generally more worth your time to fail occasionally.

Yeah once you get some class weapons and remember how to dodge and shoot specials you can bump up to 3 pretty well. The issue is mostly getting a couple missions under your belt to dump those awful starting weapons, after that even doing horde control while your friends deal with specials is fine.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Fun fact: if you playing sharpshooter and your team has 2 grims with no corruption resistance, you'll be one-shotted by Poxbursters.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is the corruption of Grimoires a static number or a percentage, because lol if it's the former!

Oh, I guess it doesn't matter either way, they're still the class with the least health right?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The poxbursters apply a set amount of corruption to you directly, which I think knocked me below the lowest wound threshold before it killed me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is the corruption of Grimoires a static number or a percentage, because lol if it's the former!

Oh, I guess it doesn't matter either way, they're still the class with the least health right?

Neither, really. It has a starting value and increases as long as you have the books. So you might survive that burster if it was right after you got the book, but if you have hit max corruption (because you have had the book the whole map, for example) you probably will not survive more than one hit from a scab or dreg mobling.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Evil Kit posted:

Yeah its pretty tame. Finish my runs probably 95% of the time. Now heresy, poo poo hits the fan so drat quick there. Maybe tried 5 times and haven't finish a run yet.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm still crashing over half my games, with the thread count already reduced, so I give up. I will try in a few weeks again. Because sure is nice to crash 20 min in a match and not win any xp or gold (rejoining rarely works, too).

edit: mind you, I don't remember any other game being so crashy on my pc, so it doesn't seem to be my computer.

It's gotten crashier recently, but rejoining has worked all but once for me. A worse experience is to error out literally on the mission results screen and get nothing after a horrible slog with pubbies, but thankfully that's only happened once so far.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

In fairness, this was a problem in Vermintide 2 as well, though it handled the leveling better in terms of access to different careers with their own talent trees and ults alongside better control over weapons you were using as you completed the leveling process. Darktide is undeniably a step backwards in the granularity of exactly what you're using and when in the leveling journey. Both games will end up in the same place once your characters are at 30, Darktide is just going to be a longer journey to that point.
Yeah I think Hero Power was a bad mechanic for basically this exact reason. It was meaningless once you'd reached 300 gear + level 35 but a huge pain up until that point because it made it annoying to play with friends who were much higher or lower than you. VT1 had a much shallower progression curve and was better for it, imo.

Kind of a shame to see they've stuck with it for DT, but oh well. As you say it'll only be a problem for a few weeks/months.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 6, 2022

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I got the penance for killing 120 dudes in 30 seconds and there's no reward for it. They should give you a medal that says COOLGUY.

And also in the game

Unrelated, any tips on the Make Every Shot Count penance?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Well apparently my Psycher lost his pants and is back in his prison pants. Also his prison shirt is gone. Not sure what is going on there.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I think I have to give this a break for a bit, because the way the game keeps spawning things behind me has become too irritating. It's got me spinning in circles every time I enter a new room to check corners, but as soon as I start moving forward or start shooting at something I hear the sharp growl noise that means you're about to get backstabbed. It happens constantly now and includes trappers and suicide bombers as well. I just lost a game where I heard the bomber ping, so we started searching just to have it jump out of a monster closet as we passed and immediately explode with no chance to do anything about it. In the game right after that in the cryo-charging section, two teammates went ahead and jumped over the big ledge before the elevator, marking a bulwark. So after spinning around and seeing nothing, I stay on the ledge to take advantage of the height difference and try to shoot the bulwark's face. I'm immediately netted by a silent trapper that spawned in the doorway behind me in the second it took to turn around and aim.

I know I'm complaing but I love the presentation and aesthetics of the game. The rough edges are starting to feel pretty rough though.

With Vet's special you can see the bullshit specials will pull off. They'll actually spawn in advance but hang out in one of the closets - so you can hear them, but not do anything about it. They'll chill in there until ssome condition is met, it usally equates to "not paying attention" - a horde is being fought, everyone is facing the other direciton, etc. Then they'll burst out and do their thing.

What gets real pissy though is that if everyone runs too far or you aggro it before it can do its thing they'll happily teleport to another spawn closet directly next to you next time you round a corner and the conditions get met, ideally just as you engage some ogryn.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

marshmallow creep posted:

Neither, really. It has a starting value and increases as long as you have the books. So you might survive that burster if it was right after you got the book, but if you have hit max corruption (because you have had the book the whole map, for example) you probably will not survive more than one hit from a scab or dreg mobling.

It was actually right after I'd used a med station, like less than a minute. Hadn't taken any damage either before the burster got on my rear end while doing an interrogator fix.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

For completing all five weekly missions? It basically doubles the currency you receive

I mean the stuff you can buy with them. Not the currency.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Well apparently my Psycher lost his pants and is back in his prison pants. Also his prison shirt is gone. Not sure what is going on there.

I was playing ogryn earlier and he lost all his hats, but had 4 new hats that were all just "no hat."

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I got the penance for killing 120 dudes in 30 seconds and there's no reward for it. They should give you a medal that says COOLGUY.

And also in the game

Unrelated, any tips on the Make Every Shot Count penance?

Do Assassination, don't shoot until you get to the boss, dump all your ammo into his big unmissable shield. If an elite dies and you get more ammo back just dump that ammo back into that shield and hope it's 0 at the end of the mission.

Alternatively use something that does splash damage, since dealing splash damage to any enemy apparently counts as a hit even if you miss the main shot.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Jack B Nimble posted:

Well apparently the literal devs said as much but I do not believe them.

To expand on this, while the strength of a space marine varies within various depictions of the fiction, in all of them where they're not the heroes and are granted the protection of narrative necessity, a single chaos space marine is not more dangerous than the contents of the average set piece.

Whether your talking 40k in any edition, or Kill Team, or the Fantasy Flight games, a single chaos space marine isn't more dangerous than a hundred pox walkers, a dozen las gun guardsmen, a couple bullgryns, etc etc.

yeah there's no reason aside from the mentioned possibility that GW told them they're not allowed. a gang of ravenor's acolytes would absolutely be able to defeat a single plague marine after a hairy fight

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Let me run around shirtless already fatshark

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, going back to my Zealot with an Eviscerator after playing Sharpshooter with a Powersword for a few days really hammers home just how busted that weapon is.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Fishstick posted:

With Vet's special you can see the bullshit specials will pull off. They'll actually spawn in advance but hang out in one of the closets - so you can hear them, but not do anything about it.

Pretty sure that's a bug, at least that's how it's read to me every time I've encountered it.

poo poo spawning directly behind you is real and extremely annoying. I assume that's intentional. Was it this bad in the beta?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

why does the veteran have powersword access and the zealot doesn't, anyway? (or do they and you just don't have one for them)

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Is anyone playing with a controller? Does it suck rear end?

I played the Closed Beta with a controller for a couple of hours before I found a work around for the no mouse invert.

It was fine, you'll do fine.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

why does the veteran have powersword access and the zealot doesn't, anyway? (or do they and you just don't have one for them)

Seems like the intention was for everyone to have one unique power/force weapon but the Ogryn is missing their maul.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Cowcaster posted:

you see, in pg. 156 of this source reference document published in 1987, it CLEARLY states

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I've played zealot for about 40 hours and I just saw the boltgun for the first time. I didn't even know we got a boltgun.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Ogryn machinegun is... very satisfying

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Cowcaster posted:

In the table top preacher types are more closely associated with the Eviscerator and chainswords than a powersword, where as Guard command HQ uses powerswords (and chainswords). The big miss so far is the lack of a powerfist, which is ACTUALLY only purchasable by Guard HQ and not by Priests.

In the last codex I had (somewhere between 4th and 6th edition) priests were locked out of Powerfists, and Guard HQ was locked out of Eviscerator but both could get power weapons.

They should give powersword to zealot class and make powerfist Vet only, and make it more of a single target destroyer.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope I'll get to play as a tech priest eventually :3:

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Buck Wildman posted:

tyranids seems inevitable and there's been dialogue quips in the game suggestive of that

See if we are going in that direction, seems like there's one really obvious answer there.

Genestealer Cults.

Maulers for Abherrants, Ragers for Genestealers, got Hybrids showing up to be more dangerous mooks, guys lugging around repurposed mining equipment with lovely autoguns popping out of the shadows. The game is practically built for a bunch of assholes showing up behind you already.

I think they'd be perfect.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

excuse me but down in the sump we call them ripperjacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Can't wait to start using this new frame