Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

what we need to do now is flesh out points of interest in sapporo, sendai, kanazawa, and fukuoka(i think we will day trip to hiroshima from here rather than osaka)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone had to help a friend who wanted to visit Japan with their tourist visa application?

I have a friend who is Russian who I want to travel to Japan with. It seems pretty straight forward as they will be the ones financing the trip for themselves so a letter of guarantee is not necessary.

1) Does anyone know if there are any recent restrictions against Russian citizens in obtaining a Tourist Visa to Japan?
2) Has anyone gone through the process of helping a friend with their tourist visa application? - was it a straight forward process? Any documents they requested that they originally didn't?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

what we need to do now is flesh out points of interest in sapporo, sendai, kanazawa, and fukuoka(i think we will day trip to hiroshima from here rather than osaka)

Kanazawa: Kenrokuen Garden is the must-see, there’s also a couple decent museums as well. Higashichaya District is also fun if not too crowded.

Fukuoka: Go drink in Tenjin and parts nearby, Dazaifu Shrine and the Kyushu National Museum are great for daytime.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

Has anyone had to help a friend who wanted to visit Japan with their tourist visa application?

I have a friend who is Russian who I want to travel to Japan with. It seems pretty straight forward as they will be the ones financing the trip for themselves so a letter of guarantee is not necessary.

1) Does anyone know if there are any recent restrictions against Russian citizens in obtaining a Tourist Visa to Japan?
2) Has anyone gone through the process of helping a friend with their tourist visa application? - was it a straight forward process? Any documents they requested that they originally didn't?

I don't really know much about it but you could start by looking at this page https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/short/russia.html

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

KidDynamite posted:

Fukuoka is great for food. I suggest going to https://ninoni.jp/ for happy hour then hit up a Yatai and get some ramen.

If you know your hotel for Narita I can probably stop by there and take you out. The fancy hotels aren't near the city center though.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

https://noma.dk/kyoto/
I guess the waitlist is very, very long already

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It probably filled up on day one. Darn, wish I'd known about that, I should be in Kyoto for a day or two during that run.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

I lived in Kanazawa for 3 years so you can DM me if you have any questions.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would also take recs for food and sake focused bars/izakaya in Kagoshima, Kumamoto, and Fukuoka. And a place for shochu, I haven't tried it much beyond making chuhais.

Kobe too, I have the sake district of course but places with a good selection of bottles to try always welcome too. And I want to try some Kobe beef.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

For shochu...

Fukuoka:
https://tabelog.com/fukuoka/A4001/A400104/40003371/
https://foodplace.jp/zubababa/
https://todoroki-saketen.com/
https://www.fukuoka-now.com/ja/food/japanese-salon-shizuku/

Kagoshima:
https://bar-roku.com/
https://bar-ishizue.com/ (both run by the same people)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

zmcnulty posted:

Kagoshima:
https://bar-roku.com/
https://bar-ishizue.com/ (both run by the same people)

Nice, thanks. These are just a couple blocks from the hotel, excellent stumbling distance.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

So outside of our planned time in Tokyo and Osaka (both of which we've seen before), right now we are planning 3 nights each in Fukuoka, Nagasaki and Kanazawa. Kind of a meaningless question, but is that enough time/too long in these places? I always stress about rushing but all the guides say 2 days for these cities. We'll be there end of feb/early march.

Also thanks for the food and sake discussion, I'm taking notes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You can both see plenty in Nagasaki city itself and also take some day trips north into the prefecture to see some more interesting sights. Fukuoka has plenty, and more ‘big city’ things.

(Side note: when Japanese musicians make it big, they traditionally do a tour of the “five domes” - Sapporo, Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka, and Fukuoka. Add in Sendai and you’ve basically got the major metro areas covered.)

Depending on what you like, there can be more recommendations as well. I might be tempted to suggest renting a car for Nagasaki, depending on your willingness.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
When I was driving around Japan there were a few times I had to go through tolls and could pay in cash. However, my friend told me that there are a few tolls where it's ETC only. I plan on going on a road trip from Tokyo to Mt Fuji soon and wondering if I should get an ETC setup in the car?

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Busy Bee posted:

When I was driving around Japan there were a few times I had to go through tolls and could pay in cash. However, my friend told me that there are a few tolls where it's ETC only. I plan on going on a road trip from Tokyo to Mt Fuji soon and wondering if I should get an ETC setup in the car?

There will almost always be a cash option. Sometimes there are ETC-only entrances and exits but there will be a regular entrance/exit further down the road. But you can also rent an ETC card from the car rental company and that will save you time and probably money.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Inside of central Tokyo is basically all ETC, the on/off ramps don't even have gates. Countryside will have ETC and cash options.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My friends and I are going to be in Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto in March; we all enjoy drinking. What is the best way of finding good bars? Preferably places that aren't too loud, and aren't tourist traps. Places with local poo poo would be ideal. Is there a uniquely Japanese type of drinking experience/bar that would be good to hit up?

Also looking for suggestions for distilleries and sake breweries to visit/tour/sample.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

No specifics but all those cities will be full of great izakaya places. Nothing beats a whisky highball and grilled chicken parts imo. I'll be stealing any recs dropped too lol

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

field balm posted:

No specifics but all those cities will be full of great izakaya places. Nothing beats a whisky highball and grilled chicken parts imo. I'll be stealing any recs dropped too lol

We have izakaya in Seattle, but I'll definitely be in for some Japanese ones. And I did conveyer belt sushi in Taiwan and it was pretty awesome and wildly cheap, I'm guessing it won't be nearly as cheap in Japan (I'm guessing the food in general in Japan is going to be waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy more expensive than in Taiwan).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I haven't been to Taiwan but Japan is pretty cheap even with a normal exchange rate.

In Kyoto most of the sake breweries are in Fushimi. Osaka doesn't have as much local stuff, but you're a quick hop over to Nara (I'd recommend Harushika if you go there) or to the Nada brewery area in Kobe.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I haven't been to Taiwan but Japan is pretty cheap even with a normal exchange rate.

In Kyoto most of the sake breweries are in Fushimi. Osaka doesn't have as much local stuff, but you're a quick hop over to Nara (I'd recommend Harushika if you go there) or to the Nada brewery area in Kobe.

We're doing an overnight in Nara between Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've never had anything from Harushika I didn't like. The breweries are clustered together so you can wander around that neighborhood and drop in on several. Pre-covid most of them let you come in and sample, usually five for 500 yen. From what I've read a lot are still doing that.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
My local conveyor sushi place is between 125 and 500 yen a plate, with the 380 and 500 price points being fatty tuna, crab, and uni. Everything else is 250 and under for two pieces.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Little smith is my go to bar. After 2 years they still remember me.

Thanks Tokyo goon for taking me there

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It’s an experience to walk into one of those little hole in the wall bars in the middle of nowhere and listen to the record scratch as you walk through the door for about 3 seconds as the existential terror of gaijin arriving in the bar hits people and the room goes silent

Would recommend

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

eating out in japan is mostly cheap as hell

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ham Equity posted:

My friends and I are going to be in Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto in March; we all enjoy drinking. What is the best way of finding good bars? Preferably places that aren't too loud, and aren't tourist traps. Places with local poo poo would be ideal. Is there a uniquely Japanese type of drinking experience/bar that would be good to hit up?

Also looking for suggestions for distilleries and sake breweries to visit/tour/sample.

Honestly if you just turn off the main street, basically any place you go to will fit that bill.

I honestly don't think there's a lot of places that I'd call "tourist traps" unless they're one of a few restaurants very close to either a huge tourist destination (e.g. Kinkakuji) or a very remote one (like on a mountain) but even then, I don't think they feel as "tourist trap" as places can in the West.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, I've always found Japan to be very fair to tourists. Exchange places don't gouge the hell out of you like in the US. You don't get secret English menus w/ inflated prices. People there just treat you with respect.

As for the person asking about a chill bar: Pretty much any nightlife area has buildings that are just bars and bars and bars stacked on bars. Anything on the 2nd floor and up is usually fairly chill.

I don't recommend it but there is a place in Umeda (Osaka) called Bar Big Face. We went there cuz I like Tiki drinks and it seemed to be the closest I could find. The owner speaks perfect English and went to Hawaii once so used that as a theme for a bar. He knows nothing of Tiki, though. The drinks were pricey and very weak. They tasted fine but that's why I don't recommend. If a drink costs $10+ it should have more than 1 oz of alcohol in it. But it was a chill place and we were the only ones there until about 15 mins before we left when another couple showed up.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Haven’t really seen many really tourist trapping places other than those stands in tsukiji or kuromon selling a stick if wagyu or king crab leg for ¥4000. Big chains with English menus might be a little more expensive than hole in the wall places but a lot more accessible.

Speaking of, tourist heavy places feel weird rn. Way fewer to no mainland Chinese and a lot more SEA and SK folks.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 7, 2022

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Breakfast at Sukiya
Lunch at Hanamaru
Dinner and drinks at Tanaka

it's authentic

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
When I used to travel with the Japan Rail Pass, I would order it online -> have it shipped to my non Japanese address -> redeem it in Japan -> receive a paper pass and either reserve shinkansen tickets at the station or just pass through the gates on the local trains.

But now it seems like you are able to reserve tickets online with the Japan Rail Pass? https://www.japanrailpass-reservation.net/

Has anyone used this feature before? It seems like I would have to purchase the Rail Pass directly from that website to open an account?

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Tell you by the end of the month I’ll pick up my train pass Dec

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If you happen to be in the right place/time in Osaka, one of the best places I found to chill with beer and food was a little spot we were recommended through a guy we met in some whiskey bar in Kyoto. Happened to be near our hotel so we checked it out and found some of the best bar food I've had. Dug into my photos and thankfully it had saved the location. Try Chitomo at 2 Chome-8-1 Nipponbashinishi, Naniwa Ward, Osaka, 556-0004.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

peanut posted:

Breakfast at Sukiya
Lunch at Yoshinoya
Dinner and drinks at Matsuya

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

When I used to travel with the Japan Rail Pass, I would order it online -> have it shipped to my non Japanese address -> redeem it in Japan -> receive a paper pass and either reserve shinkansen tickets at the station or just pass through the gates on the local trains.

But now it seems like you are able to reserve tickets online with the Japan Rail Pass? https://www.japanrailpass-reservation.net/

Has anyone used this feature before? It seems like I would have to purchase the Rail Pass directly from that website to open an account?

Yes, this is only if you buy it online directly from JR (or in Japan) and costs about $50 more than buying it from a reseller. If you buy it directly from JR you get a code or something which allows you to use their online reservation system and when you arrive in Japan you can pick up your reserved seat tickets you reserved on the website when you pick up the JR pass. Buying from a reseller is the same as the old system.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 8, 2022

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ham Equity posted:

https://reserve.suntory.co.jp/regis...4126d0315133513

Go do this in Osaka/Kyoto

Most Japanese bars are going to have some sort of seating fee, so just keep that in mind if you want to go bar hopping.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ned posted:

https://reserve.suntory.co.jp/regis...4126d0315133513

Go do this in Osaka/Kyoto

Most Japanese bars are going to have some sort of seating fee, so just keep that in mind if you want to go bar hopping.

How much is a typical seating fee? For that matter, how much is a beer in say Tokyo, vs. a glass of Suntory or a cocktail?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yamazaki distillery tour is great.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Westjet announced direct flights from my city to Tokyo, which is exciting! But it's only in summer for now, and I would not choose summer to visit Japan at all. If I'm going to suffer those kinds of temps with that humidity, I'd rather just go back to Borneo where it's never really a choice.

At least connections through Vancouver aren't that bad. Tried Seattle once, and it was a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Ham Equity posted:

How much is a typical seating fee? For that matter, how much is a beer in say Tokyo, vs. a glass of Suntory or a cocktail?
Depends on the bar, places will give you a small dish or something which you pay maybe 500-1000 yen for.