Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

haveblue posted:

If her parents are money weirds that won't help her get a bank account and run their lives on cash, that's a big problem

Incidentally, it sucks when your roommate turns out to be a money weird. I have bizarre memories of running around at midnight in a dangerous area with my roommate because she had to find a place to do last minute travelers checks. For rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

haveblue posted:

If her parents are money weirds that won't help her get a bank account and run their lives on cash, that's a big problem

It sounds like the kid is using her parents' card to order food via their Uber account, so they don't seem like off-the-grid weirdos. Why her parents wouldn't let a 16 year old open a bank account is weird though. Pretty much all of my relatives got their kids accounts with debit cards (they they could monitor and control) when they started high school so they could order things and buy Fortnight garbage with their own money, because it's the 21st century and running 100% on cash makes life difficult.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling a straight guy he shouldn’t be at the gay bar?

quote:

Saturday night I went to the only gay bar in town. I’m a 36 year old lesbian and was trying to socialize when a guy approached me. He told me he was straight and I humored a conversation with him because I used to go when I thought I was straight and maybe he was with friends so no big deal.

He went on to tell me that he was there to pick up women and his buddies said it’s the best place to pick up chicks. He asked me about twin flames and proceeded to tell me that his “twin flame” had a restraining order against him and seemed visibly agitated about it. All of my alarm bells went off and I left the conversation shortly after.

Later in the night after watching him creep out other women he tried to start talking to me about twin flames again and I snapped. I told him that he really shouldn’t be at the gay bar and that every other bar in town was made for people like him. It is the one place I can go and feel safe and avoid men like him and he should leave. He didn’t listen to a word I said and saw nothing wrong with himself being there.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for trying to dictate who can and can’t be at a gay bar?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Every time someone on reddit talks about twin flames they wind up being some kind of weirdo, but that's a new twist on me.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Mx. posted:

He asked me about twin flames and proceeded to tell me that his “twin flame” had a restraining order against him

Sometimes a soul gets split into two different bodies. Then sometimes one half of that soul decides those bodies aren't split far enough apart.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
r/relationships: his “twin flame” had a restraining order against him

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Never heard the term "money weird" before but I love it.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITB for asking my aunt “is that supposed to make me feel bad”

quote:

I 32F have an aunt ( my moms brother wife) that’s always been lovely towards me since before I can remember. It has given me huge shelf esteem issues. Her daughter and I are only a few months apart and she always tried to compare us and put us against each other. Her daughter is a tall skinny blonde cheerleader and I’m short with curly brown hair. Funny thing is me and her daughter always got along great and we actually pretty close so it was only coming from my aunt. But now that we are older my aunt constantly comparing us has put a strain on the relationship and we aren’t close anymore. I could go on and on about all the little insults directed my way my entire life.

When I hit puberty I got curvy as hell and since I had giant boobs my aunt would always insinuate I was a slut and sleeping around ( I started dating my first boyfriend at 19 and then married him sooooo).I got a tattoo and I was trashy according to her, it’s on my foot no one can even see 90% of the time and it’s for my dead dad. I went throu a rebellious phase and had a lip ring that I took out years ago and she still brings it up like it had any impact on my future asking if I realize how stupid I looked with it. (I looked cool as hell with it )

We waited 13 years to get married so she would constantly make jokes about how he was just biding his time until he jumped ship ( no we were saving for a house first). She didn’t believe that someone as handsome and successful would go for me.

Now that everyone is having babies it’s the constant comments from her about how I don’t have any yet and it’s already too late and don’t I regret wasting so many years. I asked my mom if she can talk to her because family events have become unbearable with all the little insults and comments. My mom won’t do anything because she doesn’t want to start problems.

Now at every family event anytime my aunt makes a comment I have started replying with “is that supposed to make me feel bad” (thank you to my therapist for the suggestion) it works like a charm every time, she gets flustered and then has to explain what she said in front of everyone.

After the last family gathering my mom got pissed and told me to stop doing it, it was making everyone uncomfortable and I better not do it at Christmas and ruin it .

"Hey mum, can you get aunt to back off?"
"No. That would start problems."
"OK then." *starts standing up for herself*
"Why would you do that?????? Don't you dare stand up for yourself at Christmas!"

What a horrible family, poor OP.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

r/relationships: his “twin flame” had a restraining order against him

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Willow posted:

"Why would you do that?????? Don't you dare stand up for yourself at Christmas!"

I too have terrible shelf esteem issues.

Her mom is fuckin garbage though.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Evil Willow posted:

What is with all these loving dum dums on aita who think 30 is too old to have kids?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
'Is that supposed to make me feel bad' is a great phrase for that situation. I've had success with 'why would you say that?' asked with a tone of genuine curiosity.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

asking if someone trying to make you feel bad is trying to make you feel bad is against the rules

the rules are there for a reason, you can't just have people doing what they want

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Motronic posted:

There is no "runaround": You can't sign a legal contract at 16 (assuming this is the US). You need a parent or other adult to sign for you for a bank account until you turn 18. If they allowed her to open her own account she would not be legally liable for any fees, overdrafts, etc.

The real question is what is she doing on a college campus at 16 and without a meal plan or similar.

In Australia I had a bank account when I was 14. And I don't remember needing my parents permission to get it. And I used this bank account interstate when I was 17, without any major hassles.

edit:
I also love the "Is that supposed to feel bad"/"Why would you say that?" response to arseholes trying to needle you. Make the bastards explain their nasty passive aggressive comments in front of everyone and see how they it.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 7, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

HopperUK posted:

'Is that supposed to make me feel bad' is a great phrase for that situation. I've had success with 'why would you say that?' asked with a tone of genuine curiosity.

Asking anyone to explain themselves when they say fuckshit is the best response imo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

HopperUK posted:

The archetypal use of it is "how is that funny? really, how is that a joke? what is the punchline supposed to be? no, really, explain it to me, I want to understand." when someone tries to pass off their insults/abuse/bullying as joking or just being funny or kidding around or accusing you of having no sense of humor

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Evil Willow posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with that mom? She would say something once to one of my kids and be completely banned from any family events and if any family member had an issue with that would also be banned. Like stand up for your kid.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Apparently the update was posted before the story:

People so afraid of Tuesday we get the end before the beginning

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

What is with all these loving dum dums on aita who think 30 is too old to have kids?

You can have kids after 30, it just means you're starting out behind in the baby race and will have to start pumping them out twice as fast just to catch up

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Captain Hygiene posted:

You can have kids after 30, it just means you're starting out behind in the baby race and will have to start pumping them out twice as fast just to catch up

No, we’ve done the math on this, two at a time just takes twice as long, you really have to get your prematurity bonuses going to get a higher production rate

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Mx. posted:

I love this one because the guy's sexuality has no bearing on whether or not he should be in that bar.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The sister in law apparently hates her mom and is taking it out on her daughter. So the mom is a total doormat who accepts abuse of any kind.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

hallo spacedog posted:

people with agendas have twisted 'if you have kids later in life they're more likely to have complications' to mean 'if you aren't already on number 5 at 30 due to following the tradwife style, your eggs have dried up and all your kids will be autisms'

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Mx. posted:

“Huh, that’s weird, I’m straight and I’ve been to gay bars before, nobody ever made me feel unwelcome- oh, right, okay, yeah gently caress that guy”

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
My wife had our second child when she was 35, which meant it was considered a geriatric pregnancy. More tests, etc.

Why so late? We had multiple miscarriages. For the person who was wondering how many it takes before you give up, the answer is as many as your heart can take. For us, 4th time was indeed the charm.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I want to know how the hell you are supposed to be able to have kids before 30, little buggers are expensive as hell no way my wife and I would have been able to afford them in our 20s

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Captain Hygiene posted:

You can assign more women to it and have them in 4.5, 3 months

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

carrionman posted:

I want to know how the hell you are supposed to be able to have kids before 30, little buggers are expensive as hell no way my wife and I would have been able to afford them in our 20s

Step one: Be born when a part time job could pay for a mortgage
Step two: destroy the world

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Vim Fuego posted:

You can assign more women to it and have them in 4.5, 3 months

Just have many people build the babies in parallel. I like it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I had my first/only kid at 38 and I honestly don't know how on earth I could have done it any earlier.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for going against my wifes wishes when purchasing our first home?

quote:

We started the home searching process three months back and this has run in to some problems. My wife has 3 kids and while they are not biologically mine, I still care for them as though they are. So when purchasing a home I obviously have to look for something big enough to house 5 people and the pets. The loan is 100% in my name because her credit is still not great. She's working on it though. None of this really matters too much but they are little details regardless.

Now when we were originally searching, a 4 bedroom was what we discussed. That way the kids could all have their own rooms. But I found a 3 bedroom that is absolutely gorgeous and I truly fell in love with it. It's a good size house. Bedroom sizes are decent, bigger than the rooms we have now. So I don't see an issue with the girls sharing a room like they are currently. They are still young anyhow. This house is $85k less than market value currently and I feel the need to jump on it. Something about the home is just drawing me in and I can't stop thinking about it.

My wife hates it. Not the house. She thinks the house is gorgeous as well but she is concerned about it only being 3 bedrooms. Says she doesn't want her kids sharing a room their entire childhood life because it's "not fair" and they deserve their own space. And I totally get that but realistically I could just build an addition in the future or even finish up the basement at some point to add an extra bedroom. Currently it's a dirt basement but I can re-do it.

I ran these details by my wife and she just looked disgusted. Said that I was going back on our plans and that now she was going to have to deal with the backlash from the kids because they were excited about getting their own space and said I put her in a bad spot. She also made a comment about "I don't feel comfortable putting a bunch of my money toward something that doesn't even fit my families needs". But I'm dead set on this house and she thinks I'm an AH because she's not seeing it the way I am. AITA?

ETA: Clearing up some confusion on the money aspect of this. I've seen a lot of comments accusing her of not financially contributing, despite me saying she is pulling out of financially helping me providing I go for this house. She works, full time, over time, whatever. She owns her own real estate business and is fantastic at what she does. She makes more money than me. Almost $30k a year to be exact.

Comments:

quote:

The girls are 11 and 8. The 8yo has ADHD, ODD and is being tested for autism. Due to her behavioral issues, oldest doesn't want to share a room. Not like I blame her. My boy is 5. For an addition, including electric and plumbing, it would cost $50k on the low end. The basement would be much more because it's dirt. We would need to lift the house.
I ran the numbers by her, with the under market value detail in place, and she still isn't going for it. Reason being that the market right now is garbage anyways. It's definitely a buyers market currently so there are a bunch of houses in perfect condition that are all under market value.
There's dry rot in the front deck. That's why it's being sold as is.
My wife has carpentry, foundation and electrical experience. I do not. The only thing she doesn't have is plumbing. I realize that probably sounds terrible because the rehab would be on her shoulders technically but I'm willing to learn and it would probably be a fun little family project.
I ran some numbers. For an addition, including plumbing and electric costs, it would run about $50k on the low end. For a full basement refurb it would cost much more, because it's a dirt basement.
It reminds me of my family home that I grew up in.
I think I just needed a kick in the rear end because I'm blinded by the home. I know I'm wrong. I see it now.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

quote:

it would probably be a fun little family project.

lol, lmao

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
fun little divorce project.

AITA for being scared of bugs?

quote:

Throwaway account. Long story short, a family member brought her dog over to sit for. Dog had fleas, that my cat now has. Im less scared of bugs as I am of infestations of bugs. I grew up in poverty, and we had several instances of bug infestations - specifically ants and fleas. Gave me intense anxiety as a child, and I am noootttt doing that again now that I'm moved out.

Found out cat got fleas from the dog and freaked, doing what the vet told me to do to clear them off her. Vet said they may be in home now, and suggested products to clean with.

I texted 3 friends who were supposed to come over to watch a movie and hang that I was canceling this weekend because of the situation, and that I wasn't really comfortable having anyone over at the moment because of it.

Friends got really upset with me, telling me I'm overreacting. That I'm a grown woman and why didn't I ask them before I canceled - they'd be okay with coming even with the fleas. they said a few fleas isnt an infestation, and Im being over dramatic. They said they were still coming, and I said "not unless you want to help clean haha." this didn't sit well apparently. they're all ignoring me now. I've heard through other friends that they've organized a second movie night and have purposefully excluded me from it.

AITA for canceling movie night? Should I have asked them first?

I have had ticks, which were horrible to deal with in a house with various dogs and cats, years ago. Aren't fleas supposed to be far worse?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fleas are gross, we had pet owner friends whose had them a couple times when I was younger and there's nothing worse than feeling little itches and looking down to find a flea jumping up your leg. I would be happy to get a heads up that someone was dealing with them so I could avoid that, and I would definitely cancel plans to have folks over if I was dealing with them myself.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mx. posted:

There is a gay dance club in Portland that plays the gayest porn imaginable on big projection screens in order to keep this kind of guy out.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
also if you let your friends over when you have fleas, now your friends can conveniently reintroduce them whenever you think you’ve dealt with it…

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for telling my family they should have better expectations for our business?

AITA for asking daughter to stay a part of our family business?

WIBTA if I said sayonara to my parents' business...even if I totally had time to help out?

I went to dinner tonight at a BBQ place and saw a car with a door magnet that said “The Genius Who Saved Baseball”. Inside the writer and his wife were sitting at a table with their book to sell, same title as the door magnet. In case you were wondering if this was just a creative writing exercise, people like this really exist.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
What is a "twin flame" ?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

A twin flame is described earlier on this page

Larry Cum Free posted:

Sometimes a soul gets split into two different bodies. Then sometimes one half of that soul decides those bodies aren't split far enough apart.

I actually looked it up though and it sounds stupid as hell: https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/twin-flames-signs-meaning-and-stages

quote:

Definition: A twin flame is an intense soul connection with someone thought to be a person's other half, sometimes called a "mirror soul." It's based on the idea that sometimes one soul gets split into two bodies.

One of the main characteristics of a twin flame relationship is that it will be both challenging and healing.

This is due to the mirroring nature of a twin flame; they show you your deepest insecurities, fears, and shadows.

But they also help you overcome them, and vice versa—your twin flame will be equally affected by you.

bell jar fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s kind of like how there are two suns on Tatooine.