Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

Haven’t tried this yet but it looks like good vibes

https://indigodoyle.itch.io/rollergirl
Neat but cursed physics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I was just staring at the feet trying to figure out what was going on

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

so I've only really ever done rollerblades, but could someone describe what skates are like and if I should buy some?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mauser posted:

so I've only really ever done rollerblades, but could someone describe what skates are like and if I should buy some?

Roller skates offer a little more ankle support than roller blades, stops are on the front but some folks ride without stops, and the wheels DO NOT extend behind your heel. Skates are more like skateboards in that a tiny pebble can essentially gently caress your day up bad. If you're skating outside of a rink or skate park a nice soft large diameter wheel is what you're looking for. At the rink or on smooth concrete you can roll on wheels as hard as you want. 80-90 on the durometer on wood, 90-100+ on painted/smooth concrete.

Skates are also a fuckload shorter so learning crossovers and footwork can be a little easier since you don't have to step so far. If you are ever going to try any artistic, jam, or park skating make sure you're skates have metal plates. Nylon is great for it's price but flexes to much to use crazily.

I can offer a few more insights if you're interested.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Oh, and moxie and VNLA for low price but dece skates. Bont or riedell if you want to drop many many monies.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

^^^ thanks. I'll start considering if I should add them to the collection once it gets warmer.

I went down to the ice rink last week to see if they were open yet for the season and they said their hours are 4-6pm Tuesdays and 3-5pm on Sundays (they haven't updated their website or Facebook page in several years). So I took off a bit early, went down there and they were closed due to an electrical issue. gently caress! At least I had a nice hour long bike ride i the rain

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Finally got out to shred up the park today only to find half of it too wet to skate. Lame lame lame.

Had to settle on a little jam skate instead. Anyone else getting out for a chance to skate this cold-rear end winter?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I haven't skated for nearly a month because it's either been raining, I've been sick or I haven't been able to get to one of the group ones because of transport fuckups

Once again I fail to maintain after the summer :(

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mauser posted:

I went down to the ice rink last week to see if they were open yet for the season and they said their hours are 4-6pm Tuesdays and 3-5pm on Sundays (they haven't updated their website or Facebook page in several years). So I took off a bit early, went down there and they were closed due to an electrical issue. gently caress! At least I had a nice hour long bike ride i the rain

I really need to get ice skating one of these days, I've only ever been twice, and it was on lovely outside rinks. There's a bunch of indoor rinks around here but the free skate hours are always terrible. God I wish I grew up somewhere with a speed skating scene.

Literally A Person posted:

Finally got out to shred up the park today only to find half of it too wet to skate. Lame lame lame.

Had to settle on a little jam skate instead. Anyone else getting out for a chance to skate this cold-rear end winter?

I've tried but been too busy. It's rough since the trail near my house is constantly leafed over this time of year. There's a track near me that's real nice but it's always a crapshoot whether the lights will be on or not.

I just have to keep myself content with dreams of upgrading to 3x125 for next year :allears:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
There is hear/tell of a partially covered skatepark within an 1.5 hour drive from me. Tempted to go check it out in a week or two.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'll skate on trails even in the middle of the winter as long as there isn't snow/ice.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

mystes posted:

I'll skate on trails even in the middle of the winter as long as there isn't snow/ice.

Sadly wet pavement and 101 hardness wheels DO NOT mix. Though I can rage some pretty fun power slides on wet blacktop.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Toronto is encrusted in ice and snow and I saw a dude on 3 wheels who made a decision to skate across a huge patch of ice rather than the clear area beside it and thought "man he must be good I wouldn't do that" and watched him eat poo poo 1 second later. He got up and skated off so good for him.

In other news I found a pair of rollerblade zetra 303s in size 14 for :10bux: in a thrift store I think they're 90s aggressive skates but I think it's a pretty sweet find? They seem solid if not somewhat scuffed but skates that big are rare even new.

Macksy fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 15, 2022

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Macksy posted:

Toronto is encrusted in ice and snow and I saw a dude on 3 wheels who made a decision to skate across a huge patch of ice rather than the clear area beside it and thought "man he must be good I wouldn't do that" and watched him eat poo poo 1 second later. He got up and skated off so good for him.

In other news I found a pair of rollerblade zetra 303s in size 14 for :10bux: in a thrift store I think they're 90s aggressive skates but I think it's a pretty sweet find? They seem solid if not somewhat scuffed but skates that big are rare even new.

Great find!!

Tell me they're black and purple :pray:

mystes
May 31, 2006

It snowed here and I wasn't able to skate for a little while so I decided to buy like the cheapest ice skates off of amazon so I can hopefully ice skate during the week or two when it's possible to do that on some small ponds here but knowing my luck it will probably somehow manage to be weather where I can neither inline skate or ice skate the whole winter.

Also I haven't ice skated in a million years (way before I started inline skating obviously) and I hope trying to do it doesn't somehow gently caress up my inline skating because apparently stopping is completely different.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

mystes posted:

It snowed here and I wasn't able to skate for a little while so I decided to buy like the cheapest ice skates off of amazon so I can hopefully ice skate during the week or two when it's possible to do that on some small ponds here but knowing my luck it will probably somehow manage to be weather where I can neither inline skate or ice skate the whole winter.

Also I haven't ice skated in a million years (way before I started inline skating obviously) and I hope trying to do it doesn't somehow gently caress up my inline skating because apparently stopping is completely different.

Poweslides still work on ice skates :sickos:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Ok, so I need some recommendations for ice skates now because the rental skates were absolutely garbage and I kept tripping over the little front spikes. Specifically looking for something with a hockey style blade and if possible wider in the foot area. The only website I've used before for inline skates is skatepro, and they seem to have some options. I'm fine with spending $100-200 USD

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Mauser posted:

Ok, so I need some recommendations for ice skates now because the rental skates were absolutely garbage and I kept tripping over the little front spikes. Specifically looking for something with a hockey style blade and if possible wider in the foot area. The only website I've used before for inline skates is skatepro, and they seem to have some options. I'm fine with spending $100-200 USD
Sounds like you were given figure skates. Check for anyplace that sells hockey stuff in your area they should have regular skates

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah, I definitely want hockey skates, but the I don't think I have a lot of in-person options. Maybe Dick's or REI?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Dicks maybe? Proshop at the rink?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Got to go to a former Thrasher's top ten. Check this ridiculous poo poo out:

There was some fun rear end stuff to ride but the bowl sections were actually kind of tough to flow on. Still cool as hell.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Triple post but I was too excited to wait for someone else to post. NEW PLATES AND TRUCKS:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Congrats for when you're back from your probe!

I found a second hand sports place that had tons of used kid sized ice skates, but they also happened to have some new wide hockey skates, so I got some new ones and wife got a used pair and we're going to the rink tomorrow!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Hello skate thread.

I used to roller skate all the time as a teen, and the last half year starting thinking about doing it again. I got my skates for Christmas, and it's been fun so far! I'm way out of practice, but doing practice falls and just going slow to build back up is still fun. One day I'll be zooming fast and going places again, and in the meantime I'm getting some cardio.

Living near a coast helps too, it never really freezes here

I'm a sucker for fun colors. My skateboard pads are just black, but I'm hoping to spring for some pastel pads or sparkle pads for my birthday next month if anyone gives me cash.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

felgs posted:

Hello skate thread.

I used to roller skate all the time as a teen, and the last half year starting thinking about doing it again. I got my skates for Christmas, and it's been fun so far! I'm way out of practice, but doing practice falls and just going slow to build back up is still fun. One day I'll be zooming fast and going places again, and in the meantime I'm getting some cardio.

Living near a coast helps too, it never really freezes here

I'm a sucker for fun colors. My skateboard pads are just black, but I'm hoping to spring for some pastel pads or sparkle pads for my birthday next month if anyone gives me cash.

Love those skates. Color palette reminds me of old Moxies.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I just sent off my customs to get mounted. Dear God I am pumped af. Pictures when I get them back obvs.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Customs sound cool, definitely post pictures when you get them back!

I started back to work this week, so now begins the managing to get my rear end up earlier enough to practice before work in the sunshine.

Managed it today, and hopefully tomorrow!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
:sickos:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Oh, that's rad!!

I've kept up practicing, getting a little farther and a little more endurance day by day.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

heelys sure have changed over the years...

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

dupersaurus posted:

heelys sure have changed over the years...

No matter what I do I can't seem to get the wheels to retract into the shoes!!

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I'm back on rollerblades after about ... 20 years?? Maybe more. Bought some Oxelo MF500s. Been out on two sessions and it's all come back pretty quick. I can t-stop, rotate myself from going forward to backward (when moving slowly), basic stepovers and feel somewhat in control.

Some random questions after a mere 2x30 min sessions.

1. I am skating England's terrible road and pavement surfaces and after a big sprint push I feel like I slow down a lot quicker than I think I should. My skates say ABEC7 on them and wheels are 80mm. Is this a technique or a wheel / bearings issue? If I dropped £50 on some decent bearings would I be doing myself a massive favour? As these are £80 skates I assume the stock bearings are pretty poor.

2. When I'm pushing off one skate my right skate especially sort of slips away from me. I think this is technique and my push is too wide but also all the roads and surfaces are wet at the mo and it seems worse on wetter surfaces so any tips on pushing (don't know if that's the right term) gratefully received.

So glad I got back into it. I think I'm probably too old to be grinding stuff now but I like the idea of Bill Stoppard's 'assault skating' - getting a really good flow going in an urban environment and have that be the focus over tricks.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I'm back on rollerblades after about ... 20 years?? Maybe more. Bought some Oxelo MF500s. Been out on two sessions and it's all come back pretty quick. I can t-stop, rotate myself from going forward to backward (when moving slowly), basic stepovers and feel somewhat in control.

Some random questions after a mere 2x30 min sessions.

1. I am skating England's terrible road and pavement surfaces and after a big sprint push I feel like I slow down a lot quicker than I think I should. My skates say ABEC7 on them and wheels are 80mm. Is this a technique or a wheel / bearings issue? If I dropped £50 on some decent bearings would I be doing myself a massive favour? As these are £80 skates I assume the stock bearings are pretty poor.

2. When I'm pushing off one skate my right skate especially sort of slips away from me. I think this is technique and my push is too wide but also all the roads and surfaces are wet at the mo and it seems worse on wetter surfaces so any tips on pushing (don't know if that's the right term) gratefully received.

So glad I got back into it. I think I'm probably too old to be grinding stuff now but I like the idea of Bill Stoppard's 'assault skating' - getting a really good flow going in an urban environment and have that be the focus over tricks.

Generic "abec-7" bearings are probably extremely lovely. New bearings help a crap load with your roll. Honestly you ought to be replacing or cleaning your bearings every couple months anyway. If you live near the coast like I do, maybe even more.

Wet pavement is a gently caress on skate wheels. You're probably feeling a loss of grip on the end of your push and the fact it's more pronounced on your right is most likely because that's the leg you push hardest with. When you're on wet keep your pushing conservative so you're "on top" of your skates the whole time, not pushing them more than just a little ways past shoulder width. You'll go slower but you won't slide.

Oh, and softer wheels = less slide but less maneuverability.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 20, 2023

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Literally A Person posted:

Generic "abec-7" bearings are probably extremely lovely. New bearings help a crap load with your roll. Honestly you ought to be replacing or cleaning your bearings every couple months anyway. If you live near the coast like I do, maybe even more.

Wet pavement is a gently caress on skate wheels. You're probably feeling a loss of grip on the end of your push and the fact it's more pronounced on your right is most likely because that's the leg you push hardest with. When you're on wet keep your pushing conservative so you're "on top" of your skates the whole time, not pushing them more than just a little ways past shoulder width. You'll go slower but you won't slide.

Oh, and softer wheels = less slide but less maneuverability.

Thanks! Any bearings suggestions? Ceramic / swiss? And where to buy from?

Looks like I can get 16 Bones Reds for about £40. Good shout?

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 20, 2023

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Thanks! Any bearings suggestions? Ceramic / swiss? And where to buy from?

Looks like I can get 16 Bones Reds for about £40. Good shout?

Reds are my go to. Perfect quality to price ratio and you can get a few cleanings before they're junk. Try a skate shop if you can as recently some fakes have made it into the online supply chain.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Abec ratings are in themselves meaningless for skating although better bearings for skating may happen to also have higher abec ratings as a marketing thing.

I doubt the bearings are your problem with new skates that you've only used twice though.

Although if it was really wet you could have already managed to get water into them.

Rough surfaces do make a pretty big difference skating and skating is always going to be harder when it's wet.

Also I kind of hate the term "assault skating" lol

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 20, 2023

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

mystes posted:

Abec ratings are in themselves meaningless for skating although better bearings for skating may happen to also have higher abec ratings as a marketing thing.

:yeah:

mystes posted:

I doubt the bearings are your problem with new skates that you've only used twice though.

The difference between garbage included bearings and actual skate bearings is huge iny experience. Is this not true for inline skates too?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean I don't know... I tend to treat my bearings pretty poorly anyway so I don't think I would notice that much difference after cleaning them once unless they're complete garbage.

If you're in a dry climate and baby your bearings maybe it makes more of a difference.

I haven't tried super fancy ones like ceramic though.

I was mainly just trying to say that "replace your bearings" wouldn't be my first suggestion to someone who has skates twice after a 20 year break and is saying that it seems harder than they remember.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 20, 2023

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If I ever did any rink skating I might try some ceramics. But the idea of a $90 set of bearings getting hosed up by sand in a month just makes me want to cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Also, always happy when this thread starts picking up again. I hate not having folks in meatspace to talk skating with. Everyone I talk with at the skatepark all ride boards or BMX. Plebians all.