Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
And here I thought, "This game isn't good value for me being that it's $43.59 here" was a perfectly reasonable thing to say. My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

manero posted:

Ok, I'm an idiot - how do I un-designate mining?

the little eraser button on the bottom, i think the hotkey for it is X?

the tutorial blocks you from using it until it sets you free to do whatever you want, though, which meant i ended up digging a big tunnel in the wrong place by accident

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Let's swerve away from a class war about this thing. It's going to be worth it for some people and not worth it for others.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

The button looks like an old timey eraser.

I see the one associated to the hotkey X - I wonder if I can't do it because I'm in the tutorial perhaps?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

manero posted:

I see the one associated to the hotkey X - I wonder if I can't do it because I'm in the tutorial perhaps?

Yep. Once you finish the tutorial you'll be golden.

The tutorial disables most buttons for nebulous reasons.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

LOL I just had a legendary weaponsmith show up in my first migrant wave, holy poo poo
edit: and a legendary stonecrafter. this is insanity.

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 7, 2022

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Does anyone have any go to youtube videos that explain the complexity that comes from dwarf fortress? I know basically nothing about it and had a good overview given by some goons but would love a deep dive.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

thunderspanks posted:

LOL I just had a legendary weaponsmith show up in my first migrant wave, holy poo poo
edit: and a legendary stonecrafter. this is insanity.

I think migrant waves are a bit bugged, got a legendary weaponsmith on my first wave on my first fort, and THREE of them in my second wave on my second fort.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

AnarkiJ posted:

I'd like to say it was some key fact or something the game did that made it stand out, but I think honestly, the thing that clicked in my brain is that dwarf fortress isn't a game the way other colony sims are, it's a simulation first and a game second, whereas most others, your rimworlds and such, tend to be games first and simulations second.

Is there a way I can just automate this game and make it play itself? I like the concept of this and it seems cool, but even giving it another shot, this is just not nearly as fun to play as other games in the genre.

Personally I've always felt that Rimworld was like 90% simulator and 10% game and I love the concept of that. I like the 10% game part in Rimworld. I'm not liking the 10% game part in Dwarf Fortress but I would enjoy watching a dwarf civilization ant farm.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is there a way I can just automate this game and make it play itself? I like the concept of this and it seems cool, but even giving it another shot, this is just not nearly as fun to play as other games in the genre.

Personally I've always felt that Rimworld was like 90% simulator and 10% game and I love the concept of that. I like the 10% game part in Rimworld. I'm not liking the 10% game part in Dwarf Fortress but I would enjoy watching a dwarf civilization ant farm.

I think that's what twitch streamers are for

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Hopefully this qualifies as a gang tag worthy story: way back when I was a wee youth, I spent like 10 days straight over the summer break with the wiki open determined to finally get DF. I lost dozens of forts to general ignorance before I started getting the hang of things, and I ended up turning off invasions while I got the hang of things. Eventually, I kept enough forts running up to triple digit populations that I felt comfortable turning on invasions. Of course I didn't want to be too cocky, especially since I barely understood the military screen, so I figured I'd set up a drawbridge as backup—not to smash them with, that seemed like cheating to me, just to be able to wall the fort off. Got the first invasion, military was absolute poo poo, so I smugly told everyone to retreat to the burrow and got the drawbridge lever flipped just in time.

The goblins, slightly bemused, watched the drawbridge retract—not raise—in front of them, presumably shrugged, and proceeded to horribly murder every single inhabitant.

Also I got out of a really lovely abusive relationship on July 7th, 2014 when 0.40.1 just happened to come out, real "first day of the rest of your life" hours :3:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Another hot tip for the OP: you can create multiple bedrooms at once by selecting "multi" when zoning a bedroom, then painting the whole area: every enclosed room with a bed will become a separate bedroom.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That's more or less what it does during the world generation phase, try creating a new world and then exploring Legends mode.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know how to view needed materials to fulfill a strange mood in the Steam UI? Just had my legendary miner go crazy from an unfulfilled mood (also I gotta set up the pause on notifications) and whenever I moused over and clicked on him and went into thoughts or summary or anything, i couldn't see a thing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

That's more or less what it does during the world generation phase, try creating a new world and then exploring Legends mode.

I'm not interested in reading all the text dumps, I want the virtual ant farm aspect :(

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think that's what twitch streamers are for

I don't want to watch someone else play, I just want to have it running on a second monitor as a kind of passive screensaver thing

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

woke kaczynski posted:

Does anyone know how to view needed materials to fulfill a strange mood in the Steam UI? Just had my legendary miner go crazy from an unfulfilled mood (also I gotta set up the pause on notifications) and whenever I moused over and clicked on him and went into thoughts or summary or anything, i couldn't see a thing.

Click the workshop and it should show you the mutters/hints.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

tip for newbies: Use your labor menu to disable hauling on mission-critical dwarves. Change it from "Everybody does this" to "Only selected do this" and don't assign anyone that'll grind something important to a halt if they get sidetracked.

That dining hall/stockpile/bedroom wing will takes ages to get dug out if your miners are constantly stopping to haul the stones away (you did setup a stone stockpile near your workshops, right?)

As a general rule, after the first migrant wave I disable hauling on Miners, Masons, and Carpenters while all the initial infrastructure is being developed.

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 7, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Yes, to a pretty remarkable extent, especially with DFHack (whenever it updates) for less weirdly minimal / selective permanent order conditions.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
how long have you been able to specify what type of engraving to put on a wall? i can't remember if this is a thing that was in back when i played or not.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Fun memory I just recalled, way way back when we still had chasms and bottomless pits (nobody falls in during this story, sorry), we managed to find one so I set to work mining out the delicious gold that was visible. I set up a bunch of cave traps in the hallway leading to my fortress just in case some underground nasties decided to sneak in.

Like seconds after they were loaded, one is triggered by a loving Giant Cave Spider. Thankfully the traps were installed in time since that absolutely would have been a fortress ender at that stage. An experienced player could turn this into an opportunity to set up a GCS silk farm, but I was way too experienced back then so I decided not to try. maybe I could unleash it on a goblin siege or something. While I'm thinking this, a Human caravan shows up and unloads on my depot. Hey maybe I can get a good price!

Well unfortunately, when you designate a cage to be taken to the depot, the dwarf takes the cage to the depot.

Just the cage.

The caravan guards put up a decent fight alongside mine but uh, within a few minutes everyone was dead :smith: I figure it's a bug but honestly I've never been brave enough to try hauling a caged animal to the depot again

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Does cooking still destroy the seeds of any plant item?

How do I destroy a constructed wall/floor/stairwell?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol this is my first time dwarfing but everything's been going pretty good so far. Nice fort, fifty dwarves living out their happy dwarven lives. Except I cannot for the life of me figure out how to, like, assign barrels to a brewery. I had my carpenter dwarf on a repeat job making barrels, forgot about her, and now I've got two hundred empty barrels that I can't put booze in. The only keeping the dwarves liqoured up is handing over my gem hoard to the trade caravans.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Can you equip dwarfs with melee weapons and a crossbow at the same time or are they exclusive?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am so used to playing with the various tools... Is there any way in the Steam version to increase FPS/Speed? To be very clear I am not talking about making the game operate more efficiently when you have 10,000 cats, I mean, to speed it up when you have the processing power available to do so.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

toasterwarrior posted:

Can you equip dwarfs with melee weapons and a crossbow at the same time or are they exclusive?

My brother in Armok, the crossbow IS a melee weapon

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Legends is fun

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pararoid posted:

And here I thought, "This game isn't good value for me being that it's $43.59 here" was a perfectly reasonable thing to say. My bad.

It's not reasonable at all. It's a game that's been developed for well over a decade at this point, has been free the whole time, has provided tens of thousands of hours of fun gameplay for people, has directly inspired multiple games' design choices, and the only reason it got a Steam release is so the Adams brothers can pay off medical debt, so everyone complaining about the price tag looks like a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

I can only really refer you to what I said in my post, it takes a long time to learn, and the initial process of learning isn't actually all that fun at first, I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but I think there's always going to be some friction just given how much of the game has been bolted together over a period of many many years. it's something that kind of creeps up on you and you don't really realise it until it's too late and you've stayed up all night because you've just got to get the next set of rooms finished before the incoming migrant wave, and oh my god I think I might like this game. Personally the idea of someone writing an AI that can play DF is theoretically interesting and I'd love to see it, but based on my experiences of the forts that get generated by worldgen if you visit them in adventure mode, what you end up is is something that looks like it was built by an algorithm and not at all something that looks organic or even particularly logical in it's construction.

It takes the player injecting something into it to generate the stories, you have to care about the world you're in which isn't something that happens without spending a good amount of time in it first. You can just do worldgen and go diving into legends mode and check out all the cool history that the game generates for you, but it's meaningless without any context for it, that's what fortress mode, and eventually adventure mode will also provide, it's just a way to interface with the simulation, and neither one is the primary mode of the game, although some players tend to prefer one mode over the other. Generally though, from what I can tell, all the best DF stories kind of tell you a little bit about the person playing it, it's very much a game where you get out what you put in, but you have to put in a lot before you hit that minimum theshold and the dopamine kicks in, which is why it's very atypical as a game.

I do hope you stick with it and that the game eventually clicks for you, I remember you posting some good game recommendations in the management game thread and picked up some stuff on your recommendations, so I hope you'll give DF a chance because from what I can tell it is the sort of game that you'd like based on some of the games you've posted there, I just sadly can't tell you how many hours you won't enjoy it for, before you eventually do. Only you can decide whether you think it's worth it or not in the end, obviously if you're really not feeling it then don't force yourself to be literally miserable playing it, maybe just hang around here, ask questions and see other posters stories, I enjoyed the game for many years as a specator that way before I finally broke through the barrier myself.

AnarkiJ fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 7, 2022

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

DaysBefore posted:

Lol this is my first time dwarfing but everything's been going pretty good so far. Nice fort, fifty dwarves living out their happy dwarven lives. Except I cannot for the life of me figure out how to, like, assign barrels to a brewery. I had my carpenter dwarf on a repeat job making barrels, forgot about her, and now I've got two hundred empty barrels that I can't put booze in. The only keeping the dwarves liqoured up is handing over my gem hoard to the trade caravans.

A Brew Drink job assigned at a Still should automatically take an available barrel, you shouldn't need to do anything except have a barrel and brewable item (ie a plant) reachable by the dwarf.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

DaysBefore posted:

You shouldn't need to assign barrels. Are you sure you're making barrels and not bins or something?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

sebmojo posted:

For the gang tag I'm asking people to post a story about their fort because I love dwarf stories, doesn't have to be elaborate

It'll probably be a while before anything outdoes what I had happen a couple years ago immediately after the necromancy update, so I'll go with that. I generated a world and made the mistake of having it generate a lot of history, resulting in a necromancer-related apocalypse before I'd even embarked. Dug through what legends I could, and kept finding unending references to people dying and being reanimated by a rattlesnake woman. Perhaps the most interesting tangent I found was Awiri, the elf night ghoul.

Awiri was an accomplished poet with dozens of books to his name which were mostly about nightmares he'd had, and yet was equally well known for participating in several different footraces of international significance, despite never winning any. He tutored almost as much as he authored; elves, dwarves, goblins, someone whose species is lost to time, even a human who spent 25 years studying under him. After about 40 years of this he was unceremoniously captured and enslaved by some faction where he... retained his title of poet under enslavement for 17 more years, taking on six more students and even publishing a couple more books. Something about the process took its toll on him though, as he began to develop misanthropic tendencies and denied a couple would-be students for the first time. Eventually he was able to escape and turned over a whole new leaf as an animal caretaker... for less than a year before being enlisted to fight in a half-dozen different assaults on other settlements (participating in a footrace or two in between).

For all this military participation, Awiri had seemingly never been in actual combat, given or taken any injuries, so it comes as small surprise that when he was finally enlisted in emergency defense of a raid, he was immediately struck down by a human night ghoul. Eight years later his remains were discovered and reanimated by a rattlesnake woman, his new zombie form given the title Sitsu the Deep. Sitsu fought in a couple more battles and for the first time, befriended another elf night ghoul shortly before being struck down for good.

Now, about that rattlesnake woman.

Lubbe Washspread -- the first domino in the chain, becoming obsessed with her mortality after being attacked by a shadow freak but managing to escape. In the year 37 she became the first being to worship Ura Pusdie the Ashen Skulls, who three years later granted her the artifact The Mucous Cancer. From an outsider's perspective, basically someone invented Satan, started worshipping him, and was given the Necronomicon as reward.

22 years later she finally began to arouse suspicion from her local community when others noticed her apparent lack of aging, and had to flee into the world at large, reanimating her first dwarf, elf, and goblin, and founding The Beginnings of Direction. An organization that would truly come to be known worldwide. She attempted to bribe the law enforcement of another community to look the other way while she kept reanimating poo poo, but made two mistakes. One, she chose a dwarven representative of high moral fiber. Two, she sent the goblin zombie to negotiate on her behalf, whose idea of diplomacy was to repeatedly insult and threaten the dwarf.

"Screw this," she ultimately decided, and founded her own settlement, Dinnerthunder. A couple years later, she tutors a human in the ways of necromancy. (He isn't quite so lucky with it, and ends up getting himself killed in short order.) Then, she starts writing books. Lots and lots of books. A ridiculous number of books, many of which are unknown due to her hoarding them in either her private Dinnerthunder library or in one of the many future conquered settlements. On that note, the year 80 is the genuine beginning of the end; she attacks and handily defeats her first settlement, reanimating the victims and tripling her army's size overnight. From that point on the log of Dinnerthunder's history is like a global obituary. Every season, another attack and swift defeat. Then twice a season. Some of the settlements are just razed instead. Then the logs start reading "attacked, defeated, and razed". Then "attacked, defeated, razed, and destroyed".

From here on out there's only highlights by year;
  • 132: Lubbe starts experimenting and creating entirely new types of undead to plague the world with.
  • 255: She begins accepting bribes in exchange for leniency, but there are already no functioning economies left. Of only eight known artifacts in the world, at least two more end up in her direct possession from goblin offerings, although she simply hoards them in random storage as she does with her books.
  • ~400: Seemingly gets bored of experimentation and just goes back to reanimating everything in sight.
  • 626: Pens Start Your Day With Change, her first book based on a dream. Immediately goes back to sinning against all of creation.
  • 722: Suddenly writes a lot more books based on dreams, the first volume of an incomplete autobiography, and multiple tomes on the results of her experimentations.
  • 741-800: Pens "The Mysteries of the Rattlesnake Men", "The Unabridged Rattlesnake Man", and "Errors in the Rattlesnake Women". :btroll:
  • 790: Pens "The Elf: Before and After", in reference to Lulo, the first elf she resurrected all the way back in 85. His only friend was the severed fist of someone called Pimra. They met on the field of combat. :arghfist:
  • 863: Reanimates a human who was killed by a troll 805 years ago. The human shambles around for ten years with nothing to do before getting killed by a dog.
  • 950: Pens a book about how she's the last of her kind. Unsure if there were never any other rattlesnake people or she's just the only one who isn't a shambling corpse at this point.

I finally tried embarking only to discover that the game apparently keeps tabs on what technologies are available to each race. Dwarves were extinct and as such had no technology, so I couldn't embark with any tools. Then I tried adventure mode, and found that there were no sapient species left for me to play as either. Fun! :v:

e: gang tag pls

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 7, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh balls there isn't any cloud integration, I guess my save on my laptop shall remain there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Do you still need Architect skill to make a depot? Settin' up my usual Dorf Loadout to try it out old fashioned style before I start being daring about things.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Does anyone have any go to youtube videos that explain the complexity that comes from dwarf fortress? I know basically nothing about it and had a good overview given by some goons but would love a deep dive.

Actually, this Noclip interview with Tarn does a pretty good job explaining how the emerging complexity over time has made weirder stuff happen and gotten stranger from unintended side effects. Things like geese laying chairs instead of eggs, or cats ingesting booze soaked into their paws through their eyelids while cleaning themselves and dying of alcohol poisoning.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 7, 2022

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Question about work order automation: If I select the condition "when we have less than x" is it checking how many are in the fortress or how many are available/stockpiled? In other words, if I always want to have four beds available to make into new bedrooms, do I want "amount of beds is less than four" or "amount of beds is less than <four plus however many beds I have installed>"?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

thunderspanks posted:

A Brew Drink job assigned at a Still should automatically take an available barrel, you shouldn't need to do anything except have a barrel and brewable item (ie a plant) reachable by the dwarf.

Skyl3lazer posted:

You shouldn't need to assign barrels. Are you sure you're making barrels and not bins or something?

Okay weird, I'm definitely making barrels. But the options for making booze are unavailable because I lack a food storage item. But I also have a chef dwarf churning out hundreds of meals so maybe he's sucking up all the barrels.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Nessus posted:

Do you still need Architect skill to make a depot? Settin' up my usual Dorf Loadout to try it out old fashioned style before I start being daring about things.

No, but you also can't start with building designer for some reason, it just isn't in the embark skills menu.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
FYI Krugg is about to take on a cave cyclopse RIGHT NOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sByxI7UX5-g

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So the multiple Z levels visible thing means you can make it feel more rewarding to build big gently caress off multi-level rooms.

My dwarves will no longer live in rat warrens with a roof 1 foot above their heads.

Edit: also we're building a giant loving throne room. Yes there are 16 of us, but this is what we're doing.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Arrath posted:

Oh balls there isn't any cloud integration, I guess my save on my laptop shall remain there.

Really? Mine threw an error that it couldn't sync to the cloud with no Internet so I think it may have it but it's not listed on the store as such.