Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ishamael posted:

Goons With Spoons/ The Bread Thread - Frustrated and Covered In Goo
As far as dough globs, I scrape mine off into the trash as much as possible, because they will harden into Roman cement in the drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Thanks all, it's helpful to know that everyone gets the goo and I'm not just doing it wrong. I've been using a plastic scraper, but I'll switch to metal since it looks like it will work better. I should schedule it differently so I'm not doing the worst part early in the morning before breakfast or coffee.

On the plus side, despite the frustration the loaf turned out pretty well. A little underproved, and I got some tearing, but overall better than previous attempts. Now I need to figure out how to get more sour flavor into it, since it really just tastes like good bread and not so much sourdough.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Well my Pullmans are still working out. loving Minecraft-rear end bread

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Hello thread! I've got what I hope is a pretty simple question. Is there a thread-favorite brand of store bought yeast?

I've taken up sourdough in the past year so I have a lovely starter going, but basically I've committed myself to making 2 loaves with that every Monday, so I tend not to use it for anything else. So when I do make another type of yeasted dough (pizza, bagels, or something gluten-free), I grab the jar of Fleischmann's (active dry) out of the fridge.

However, for some reason in the past year or so -- almost like it's bitter about me switching to sourdough or something -- it just seems to have stopped working nearly as well as it used to. I already ditched one jar and bought another, but it still seems way less potent than it used to be.

So I'm kind of on a quest to scientifically eliminate all variables that could be causing this, so I figured I'd ask about the yeast itself. Not to get all :tinfoil: but I almost wonder if something weird happened after the yeast shortage of 2020. Or, I'm just getting careless during some other step of the process.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Just double checking in case you forgot a step but make sure you are activating your active dry with some warm water and possibly a little sugar first before incorporating into the dough. Instant yeast can be used directly. You could also try SAF, never had a problem with that brand.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I like SAF and Red Star. Fleischman's activated dry is fine but I've never had a jar last long enough to get finished, even in the fridge. It always would start failing about halfway through.

In contrast, my best-by June 2021 bag of SAF instant yeast is viable (at least as of this weekend) in the fridge still.

Try switching to instant yeast and see if you like it better.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

you ate my cat posted:

Thanks all, it's helpful to know that everyone gets the goo and I'm not just doing it wrong. I've been using a plastic scraper, but I'll switch to metal since it looks like it will work better. I should schedule it differently so I'm not doing the worst part early in the morning before breakfast or coffee.

When I do the initial mixing by hand, I keep a plastic scraper nearby and that can get 90% of the dough bits off my hands when I'm done. For stretch and folds later wet hands stopnmodt of it from sticking more.

The other but that helps, if your hands aren't too covered, is to just rub some dry flour over them at the end. All the wet bits of dough will clump up and dry up and it makes cleanup 10x easier. I run a scraper around the inside of my bowl after and just gather up all the dried bits to throw away. Minimal dough in the sink afterwards which is good.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I get yeast in cartons at a time and pour them up into mason jars with those dry-pack plastic lids. I haven't had a problem using this method, but I think I've had some deterioration if I just had the carton sitting there, opened to the elements.

I might as well add I tend to keep them on the shelves on the fridge door.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Thanks all. I bought some Red Star at the grocery store (3x packets) that I can try on Friday, and I'll look into getting some SAF online (or at a different store) if necessary. I actually hadn't considered using instant yeast because I guess in my head I just assumed "instant = worse" but if I come across some I can use, I'll give it a fair chance. Unfortunately the only instant brands in this store also contained wheat, which makes it less useful for me since I sometimes need to use it in GF baking. But I'm assuming they aren't all like that.

slave to my cravings posted:

Just double checking in case you forgot a step but make sure you are activating your active dry with some warm water and possibly a little sugar first before incorporating into the dough.

Yeah I always do that, though I might want to use a thermometer again. Generally I feel like it activates well, but just doesn't go the distance later on. Unless I've forgotten what activated yeast is actually supposed to look like.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I'm working on weird recipe adjustment to turn my sourdough sandwich loaf recipe into a copycat Frisco burger recipe. I have a couple of ideas, but I'd love to hear others' opinions if anyone has one.

I'm trying to replicate the bread in these photos without buying a new pan. I have the dough and rise and all that sorted.

My two ideas are:

1: try to get a really round torpedo-shaped loaf that's like a really thick submarine sandwich roll. This will probably have the crease that the top image on the right has because the bread will relax while baking.

2: make a bunch of tall balls of dough that are the size of burger buns, bake them and then slice the top and bottom off. This is probably the easiest, but it might be the hardest to calculate the size properly.

The main issue with both of these techniques is to make sure I don't have huge bread for the size of the burger. Any ideas?

I'm doing all of this because I have a sandwich blog and I'm working on recreating and updating this hybrid between a burger and a patty melt with sourdough.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Seems like you could get a cylinder loaf pan or can?

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Black-Corrugated-Birthday-Baking/dp/B0B53PC7VP/

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Baking-Can-Cylindrical-Vertical/dp/B07RV94FSZ

e: without buying a new pan, whoops, never mind. I guess you could see if you have any similar-sized cans laying around like a brown bread can

is it heretical to suggest a Pullman loaf and a square burg?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 7, 2022

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i feel like the second a burg goes square it becomes a melt

i can't back this up with anything but it just feels right

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Seems like you could get a cylinder loaf pan or can?

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Black-Corrugated-Birthday-Baking/dp/B0B53PC7VP/
is it heretical to suggest a Pullman loaf and a square burg?

Whoa, I never even considered that there might be cylinder loaf pans like that. I'm guessing that's what they are doing. I figured they were probably baking in something like an extra wide baguette tray that kept the dough a certain width but let it rise up.

All of my first attempts have been square. I was just seeing if I could do something more round. I'm going to try both a tall ball and a log today and see what I can come up with.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seconding the bake it in a can plan

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How does mcDs do the big Mac clubs.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Seconding the bake it in a can plan

I started down the process of baking in a can plan and I found the perfect can. I opened and dumped my San Marzano tomatoes into a bowl to save for later in the week and then learned a new lesson that anything in a can that is acidic will have a non-BPA lining. I probably could have figured out a way to remove the lining, but it would have likely required a fire and outdoors. Instead, I used the can as a form for a homemade aluminum foil "can" that I let some sourdough rise in. It worked ok. Not perfect, because it's aluminum foil and didn't rise straight up.

This will get probably 3 or 4 slices if I go fairly thin, but in the process of looking all around my house, I realized that I have ceramic ramekins that I probably can use to make tall buns that are about 4 inches in diameter. I think this will work best without buying a dedicated pan.

The benefit to all of this process is that now I have an open can of San Marzano tomatoes so it's going to have to be pizza night really soon!

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

First attempt at making a big double loaf batch from FWSY, having the nice round 12L container makes things a lot more manageable. I made one into a loaf but only have a rounded rectangle cake pan to use, so no impressive rectangle loaves unfortunately. Both were great and disappeared very quickly.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 8, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
being at work at 2:30am is crazy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIHJjMHgyJo

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

When I bake a loaf in the bread machine, it's good for about 4 days if I'm careful to keep it in the fridge in cling wrap. Are there preservatives that would keep it fresh a little longer without affecting the taste or texture much? The one I see recommended most is calcium propionate, if anyone's tried that.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Doesn't keeping bread in the fridge make it stale faster?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Potato flakes or starch, liquid fats, honey, sourdough, rosemary (though the last two are more against mold than staling).

Don't keep bread in the fridge. Keep it on the counter for a few days (I've had sourdough rosemary rolls keep a week and they were just getting a bit stale) or slice and freeze it. Defrost in the toaster for delicious warm bread every time!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

null_pointer posted:

Doesn't keeping bread in the fridge make it stale faster?
Dries it, but dry and stale are not necessarily the same thing.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I followed this recipe for no-knead bread. The first rise was great, I tightly covered and put it in the fridge, but after ~36h it started to visibly sag, then after 72h it was very collapsed. When I removed it there were conspicuously dry bits and conspicuously wet bits. It then didn't rise any more. Is there a 'too cold' for this sort of thing? This was probably around 4-5C.

Also is there any sort of resource for finding out what went wrong - i.e. "if your dough/loaf does X, it's probably because of Y"? I've watched comparisons of techniques on the Chain Baker youtube channel and whilst they're great, I'm after more of a reference thing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You probably didn't have the flour gully hydrated.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You probably didn't have the flour gully hydrated.

Does that mean inadequately mixed? Because it was looking perfect before its stay in the fridge. Big and springy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Does anybody know where to find bannetons big enough for a batard loaf? The biggest I can find is 10 inches.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

https://pastrychef.com has some larger banneton options, if they're the shape you're looking for. I've ordered from them before and had a good experience. You could also try https://bakedeco.com, though I've never ordered from them so can't vouch for them specifically.

you ate my cat fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 9, 2022

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Does that mean inadequately mixed? Because it was looking perfect before its stay in the fridge. Big and springy.

Yep. If your seal was tight you're otherwise fine in a fridge. Overfermenting doesn't result in clumps.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thank you. What follows might be a bit of a silly question - if my problem is poor mixing, is there any harm in starting a 'no knead' dough in a stand mixer? Not to leave it running to develop the gluten, but just enough to make sure it's thoroughly mixed.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

effika posted:

Potato flakes or starch, liquid fats, honey, sourdough, rosemary (though the last two are more against mold than staling).

Don't keep bread in the fridge. Keep it on the counter for a few days (I've had sourdough rosemary rolls keep a week and they were just getting a bit stale) or slice and freeze it. Defrost in the toaster for delicious warm bread every time!

Do bread boxes work as advertised? Both for keeping bread fresher and keeping my cat from eating it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Do bread boxes work as advertised? Both for keeping bread fresher and keeping my cat from eating it.

Bread bins work well but they don't preform miracles. I'd say as a rough guess they add half a week to the life span , and tamp down just how stale the cut end gets. I bet a determined and energetic cat could probably work out how to get into one.
Another thing to consider is making smaller loaves. If you regularly find yourself throwing out a substantial heel of moldy or stale bread, then you can disobey the recipe, keeping everything proportionate of course.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
If your cat understands levers or opens doors, the breadbox is not cat safe.

And yeah they'll help a little bit for staling but aren't miraculous.

Check out the concept of Baker's Percentages and unlock the ability to easily scale your bread to reasonable portions (bigger or smaller).

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
For everything not sourdoughs I started using a tangzhong and it made a pretty big difference in how long my loaves lasted.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thank you. What follows might be a bit of a silly question - if my problem is poor mixing, is there any harm in starting a 'no knead' dough in a stand mixer? Not to leave it running to develop the gluten, but just enough to make sure it's thoroughly mixed.

No, that's what I do. Be sure to scrape through on occasion in case there is a layer of flour the rest of the dough is being mixed on. If you have a non orbital mixer you are gold.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Not from my cat, I can tell you that…

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Not so much a bread question as a generic dough question, I suppose, but it seemed like a thread where I might get a knowledgeable answer.

I consider myself a decent cook, but anything involving dough more complicated than pizza dough is always a bit of an arcane mystery to me. I feel like I'll make two batches of dough(for bread, for cinnamon buns, etc.) exactly the same, perfectly the same ingredients and ratios and treatment and all that(as far as I can tell, obviously there is some sort of difference) a week or two apart, and one of them will rise, the other will remain stubbornly almost completely flat and dense.

What are the "bread noob" mistakes that could cause this sort of thing without being super obvious to someone who doesn't bake for a living?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Is the ambient temperature in your domicile the same?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Is the ambient temperature in your domicile the same?

Within a couple of degrees Celsius there shouldn't have been any major difference.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Probably ghosts then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Not so much a bread question as a generic dough question, I suppose, but it seemed like a thread where I might get a knowledgeable answer.

I consider myself a decent cook, but anything involving dough more complicated than pizza dough is always a bit of an arcane mystery to me. I feel like I'll make two batches of dough(for bread, for cinnamon buns, etc.) exactly the same, perfectly the same ingredients and ratios and treatment and all that(as far as I can tell, obviously there is some sort of difference) a week or two apart, and one of them will rise, the other will remain stubbornly almost completely flat and dense.

What are the "bread noob" mistakes that could cause this sort of thing without being super obvious to someone who doesn't bake for a living?
Are you proofing the yeast before using? I ask because I'm diagnosing my own disease; I found out while proofing yesterday that my yeast had flat-out died. Other than that, have you tried the "microwave as proofing box" trick? Nuke a cup of water until it boils, quickly open microwave, put bread in, close. (Do not turn the microwave back on!) This will give your dough a consistent warmth/humidity environment to rise in.

e: Proofing is just pouring ~a cup of the water/milk/liquid from the recipe, warming it to at least 80F or so, stirring the yeast in, and watching to see if the yeast has formed clumps on the surface by, say, 10 minutes. Then mix into flour as usual.

Unsolicited equipment rec: for years I have sneered at dough whisks (AKA Danish dough whisks). I was wrong. They incorporate dough as well as I can do with my hands, while being much easier to clean than my hands. https://www.seriouseats.com/danish-dough-whisk-brodpisker

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 10, 2022