Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Mailer posted:

Step 1: So you have spaghetti
Step 2: Tear it all down! Build right! Proper spacing, calculated workflow, and properly organized design will make this new factory permanent!
Step 3: Hrmm, that's a problem. I guess I could just add a splitter here...
Step 4: So you have spaghetti

Thanks to blueprints and some dicking around, I have this as the results of day 1 of the great rebuild.

From left to right I have iron plate, iron rods, steel beams and steel pipe. Still a lot to do, but (hopefully) this will go smoother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
FICS*MAS starts tomorrow.
Update 7 on Tuesday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw3epGt82yk

OgNar fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 30, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

OgNar posted:

FICS*MAS starts tomorrow.
Update 7 on Tuesday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw3epGt82yk

Will saves that are made in experimental roll over into general updates?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Cimber posted:

Will saves that are made in experimental roll over into general updates?

Yes, saves always carry over from experimental to the public branch and also continue to function between major updates. I've gone back and loaded up saves from Update 3 just to see if they still work and all the machines are still running without issue.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Got my first opportunity since blueprints released to sit down and mess around with them. Is anybody else having issues using the elevator floor hole in their blueprints. I use them basically everywhere in my builds, but blueprints don't appear to play nice and the resulting elevators are kinda hosed up.

My first goal was to do some blueprints with stations. Stations themselves are too big for the box, but I figured I could place things like elevators and buffer storages ahead of time, then I could come in and drop in the station itself and all I'd need to do was place the connecting belts, but the resultant elevators are super buggy visually. I don't know if they actually worked because I was a bit disheartened at the results and gave up after trying a few tricks (like spacing the elevators further apart, etc).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ice Fist posted:

Got my first opportunity since blueprints released to sit down and mess around with them. Is anybody else having issues using the elevator floor hole in their blueprints. I use them basically everywhere in my builds, but blueprints don't appear to play nice and the resulting elevators are kinda hosed up.

My first goal was to do some blueprints with stations. Stations themselves are too big for the box, but I figured I could place things like elevators and buffer storages ahead of time, then I could come in and drop in the station itself and all I'd need to do was place the connecting belts, but the resultant elevators are super buggy visually. I don't know if they actually worked because I was a bit disheartened at the results and gave up after trying a few tricks (like spacing the elevators further apart, etc).

Conveyor lifts have been visually buggy in like 4 different ways in this round of experimental. The test I would do is use your blue print, save, exit, load. If they look right after that, it's just ignorable visual weirdness.

I can't speak to any floor hole issues myself because I don't use them in the intended way. If I have an elevator that wants to go through a floor, I put down a floor hole but don't connect the lift to it. Just pull the elevator straight through to wherever it's going. You get the visual of stuff going up into a black hole instead of clipping into a floor... but the lift is a single item instead of two.

And you never have to worry about how floor holes have been a frequent source of bugs or weirdness ever since they were added.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Klyith posted:

The test I would do is use your blue print, save, exit, load. If they look right after that, it's just ignorable visual weirdness.

It was this. Saving and reloading fixes it. Thanks.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Update 7 is out.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/526870/announcements/detail/3612480005956012513

Conveyor ceiling attachments, wooo.
Also gas plant things still emit gas in passive mode, but I expected that.
Cant negate a whole process line.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Can you unlock everything playing as a vegan or do you have to go beat some passive critters to death?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Clark Nova posted:

Can you unlock everything playing as a vegan or do you have to go beat some passive critters to death?

There's a hand slot and a 6 inventory slot upgrade in the MAM that you need critter corpses to get. Aside from that, the explosive rebar ammo stacks to 100 while nobelisks only stack to 50. So maybe there's a reason to carry around a rebar gun even in passive mode?

OTOH the spitters & hogs take damage from poison gas now, and it's not uncommon for them to die from it. They still drop the corpse item when they die from gas. So you could play a 100% pacifist run and unlock everything by watching for aliens that die from sniffing farts.

(There are some pretty funny spots where this happens -- I recently climbed to the top of a big rock pillar that had poison gas and hogs on top guarding a hard drive. That would have been nasty in the past: do you have a gas mask for the poison, or a jetpack / parachute to not die from fall damage when the hogs knocked you off the side? Now the hogs are running around in panic when I got there, then they all fall over and die.)

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Anyone else having the game crash on startup or is that something on my end?

I have a daisy chain mod installed but that shouldn't be this bad, right? I get a Unreal Engine error before even getting to intro movies or menus

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Man with Hat posted:

I have a daisy chain mod installed but that shouldn't be this bad, right? I get a Unreal Engine error before even getting to intro movies or menus

The last few updates have mentioned something about startup crashes, check there though I think most of their suggestions are to Verify and check outdated mods.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Man with Hat posted:

If you have mods that aren't compatible it may 100% crash on startup before anything is displayed.

Looks like the latest version of Daisy Chain Everything says "U7 compatibility" so in theory it should work I guess.

edit for content:

Satellite refinery to make a bunch of petcoke for high-volume steel foundries, and a side of packaged fuel which will run some trucks collecting resources from the north forest into a future Big Project. (And there was extra oil, so I threw in some generators. The fuel production is just turning heavy oil into residual fuel, so not terribly efficient. But those 5 gens will be max OC when it's running full, so it more than covers its own cost.)

Blueprints turned out to be almost completely useless for this project! I picked this one to work on since U7 since I had all the fancy new blueprints for refineries. But between one thing and another, I think only 6 of the refineries were made with blueprints. The lesson of this project is that blueprints are sometimes more picky about machine boundaries than normal construction.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 7, 2022

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Turns out there was an update for the mod and now the game starts, thanks! Now here's hoping the update didn't screw up my world, I had literally just finished a factory to make the final elevator parts, would suck if it doesn't work anymore

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I've been out of the loop for a while, is update 7 the last major content update? I seem to remember something about them drawing closer to release

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hipster Occultist posted:

I've been out of the loop for a while, is update 7 the last major content update? I seem to remember something about them drawing closer to release

Don't think they said anything about it being the final update, but I wasn't watching the release stream. Though I'd think if they'd said so it would be on the reddit etc.

Also after U5 they switched to faster updates but less new content schedule, so they're not as "major" content updates. Update 6 revamped equipment & weapons, 7 has the blueprints. If there's an 8 it'll probably also be just one new thing. I believe they've said they're pretty much set with everything in the production zone (recipes, balance of resources, most of the tech progression, etc).

vvv edit: critters don't have fall damage, unless that also changed?

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 7, 2022

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Klyith posted:

OTOH the spitters & hogs take damage from poison gas now, and it's not uncommon for them to die from it. They still drop the corpse item when they die from gas. So you could play a 100% pacifist run and unlock everything by watching for aliens that die from sniffing farts.

Another way is to lure them to the edge of a cliff, entice them to charge at you and.......

Well, you know.

Pick through their splattered remains as you wish.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

RazNation posted:

Another way is to lure them to the edge of a cliff, entice them to charge at you and.......

Well, you know.

Pick through their splattered remains as you wish.

Haha, was harddrive hunting yesterday and with my jetpack landed on an outcrop halfway up a spire.
As I am sitting there deciding on whether to jetpack further or platform up I see a spitter plummeting to the ground.
It must have detected me and charged when I wasnt even up top yet.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Just found out that rails in blueprints don't auto connect. Boy that sucks. Thankfully I didn't get too far into my infrastructure project before I found out so I don't have to replace too many rails. I created a decent number of rail blueprints, nothing crazy just straight sections of single and double tracks. Going to go through and remove all the rails because I'll have to place them all manually anyways.

In-ability to autoconnect rails, belts, and power is a huge deficiency in the system they created. Not the end of the world - I'm already saving so much time with the system - but man... rails not connecting automatically is a downer.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

When you say they don't auto connect do you mean if you put two blueprints side by side they don't count? But if you have a blueprint with rail stuff you can connect to that rail piece manually?

The blueprint space was too small for making roundabouts anyway so the only thing I was thinking might work for blueprints would be elevated connection points.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

CainFortea posted:

When you say they don't auto connect do you mean if you put two blueprints side by side they don't count? But if you have a blueprint with rail stuff you can connect to that rail piece manually?

Yes and yes.

If you create a blueprint with, say, a 36 meter straight piece of track, then place that blueprint one after the other (in blueprint snapping mode or default... I used both), the resultant rail segments are physically connected, but not logically. I ran into this while placing rail blueprints and connecting them to a station I built. I thought it was a bit weird that all the track I had laid with blueprints was unpowered in spite of being connected to the track so I built a locomotive and welp, it stopped immediately at the first blueprinted segment. I deleted all the track and rebuilt it.

If you build a rail segment in a blueprint, you can connect to it manually and you'll be fine though.

Yeah, I'd have liked to make pre-made turns and such, but it's tough with the blueprint space being too small.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gotcha.

The only thing I had even considered using blueprints for with tracks were roundabouts and putting side by sides on pillars and then just connecting them normally. And I'm pretty sure roundabouts are too big anyway.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Ice Fist posted:

Just found out that rails in blueprints don't auto connect. Boy that sucks. Thankfully I didn't get too far into my infrastructure project before I found out so I don't have to replace too many rails. I created a decent number of rail blueprints, nothing crazy just straight sections of single and double tracks. Going to go through and remove all the rails because I'll have to place them all manually anyways.

In-ability to autoconnect rails, belts, and power is a huge deficiency in the system they created. Not the end of the world - I'm already saving so much time with the system - but man... rails not connecting automatically is a downer.

I’m expecting (hoping) SMART is the mod that steps in to improve this.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ice Fist posted:

Yes and yes.

If you create a blueprint with, say, a 36 meter straight piece of track, then place that blueprint one after the other (in blueprint snapping mode or default... I used both), the resultant rail segments are physically connected, but not logically. I ran into this while placing rail blueprints and connecting them to a station I built. I thought it was a bit weird that all the track I had laid with blueprints was unpowered in spite of being connected to the track so I built a locomotive and welp, it stopped immediately at the first blueprinted segment. I deleted all the track and rebuilt it.

If you build a rail segment in a blueprint, you can connect to it manually and you'll be fine though.

Yeah, I'd have liked to make pre-made turns and such, but it's tough with the blueprint space being too small.

The other thing is that your rail segment needs to be short and at the start of the blueprint. If you make it too long and try to connect them after placing down a few blueprint copies you get a 'track segment is too short' when trying to connect the blueprint tracks. That was annoying after i laid down 15 blueprint copies of my train tunnel.

Frankly if you just skip laying track and lay it manually later its just as efficient, using the lines in the floor as guides.

I also made a point to put a wall support for hypertubes, makes getting from station to station a lot easier.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Anybody else decorating for FICSMAS? This is what I've been working on over the weekend. Still need to finish the walls, then add architectural details, decorations, and lighting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I havent been decorating but have been working on the MAM tree for it.
On the last slot now.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
This is my fixmas setup.

Also working on the last slot, those 500 stars are going to take a while to get.

Also, raise your hand if you have a ton of half decorated factories scattered around the map. The 'This will be great looking when I'm done with it, but oooh, i need to start a new factory elsewhere making X'

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Cimber posted:

Also, raise your hand if you have a ton of half decorated factories scattered around the map. The 'This will be great looking when I'm done with it, but oooh, i need to start a new factory elsewhere making X'

Yeah. I definitely have this problem. I have some really nice looking factories, but a bunch that are just open air.

This is changing with blueprints. Decorations will now be standardized.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

In previous Fixmas events, you could craft snowball ammo for the detonator. Those stacked to 500 instead of the regular ones that stacked to 50. Do they still do? If so, I highly recommend people to produce a couple of thousand of those, as the recipe disappears while the ammo sticks around.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I can't remember, does doing the FIxmas chain really do a whole lot for you besides snowballs and custom skins (which I believe are the same as last year)?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah. I definitely have this problem. I have some really nice looking factories, but a bunch that are just open air.

Same, but I don't even finish the walls half the time.

Deki posted:

I can't remember, does doing the FIxmas chain really do a whole lot for you besides snowballs and custom skins (which I believe are the same as last year)?

I think some of the calendar rewards gives an item that you cannot craft but is needed to open a crash site.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Leal posted:

I think some of the calendar rewards gives an item that you cannot craft but is needed to open a crash site.

Two items given are only used in crash sites, the superposition oscillator and the Quantum Computer.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Cimber posted:

not me I finish my hideous hovering orange cubes

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
lmao:

https://twitter.com/SatisfactoryAF/status/1604561218710245378

(this may not make sense if you aren't following the lol musk thread)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like how they have at least one other Coffee Stain game in the list. :haw:

(Dunno about runescape)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
You know it's a fair and unbiased rule because they're banning their favorite game of all time, final fantasy.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Klyith posted:

lmao:

https://twitter.com/SatisfactoryAF/status/1604561218710245378

(this may not make sense if you aren't following the lol musk thread)

I don't get it, I got off twitter the day that Musk purchased it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cimber posted:

I don't get it, I got off twitter the day that Musk purchased it.

Musk put in some dumb edict/rule that no links to any external social media accounts are allowed to basically quash the tide of "this place is poo poo now, come follow me on mastodon at.." posts

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

priznat posted:

Musk put in some dumb edict/rule that no links to any external social media accounts are allowed to basically quash the tide of "this place is poo poo now, come follow me on mastodon at.." posts

Ahhh, I see. I'm glad I got off that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cimber posted:

Ahhh, I see. I'm glad I got off that place.

Good. But also sad, because you've missed the greatest comedy act of the year. If you are feeling depressed, go see musk the clown!