Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Super No Vacancy posted:

im racking my brain trying to figure out how you place a floodgate next to water without it flooding first

You dig a shaft halfway to the water, build a floodgate in the shaft, connect to a lever and raise the floodgate, continue digging to water let your dwarf get out and close floodgate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Offering up my first lost fortress for the gang tag.

I'm about twenty minute into starting my new fort, I got most of my dwarfs clearing trees and picking through bushes for food while I'm down below with two miners digging out rooms. After a while, space has been carved out and I am quickly trying to learn zone and stockpile designations when I notice that the game is starting to throw up a bunch of warnings and notifications.

So I pan up to the surface to quickly find out that all that remains of my fort is a single dwarf and three war dogs.

Apparently while I was distracted down below, a giant mantis had wandered into the area and proceeded to start cutting off the limbs of everyone.

My only surviving dwarf is Bim.

Poor Bim is sliced up, has lost the ability to stand and has motor control issues, what with his wrist being mangled so badly.

And this is the bastard that tore through my colony.

Am I right in reading that this thing weighs 2,350 lbs or whatever unity of weight DF uses?

While trying to make sense of the combat logs, I notice in the area that there is a bunch of white flecks all over the ground, at first I thought it was just spatters from the white ichor the mantis bled everywhere, but on closer inspection I found that its teeth. War dog teeth. And they are everywhere.

So I go back to poking around the combat logs for the dogs and I really understand why this thing just destroyed my dwarfs so fast. The giant mantis had snatched the war dog by its tongue and then bodily threw it across the field, the dog rapidly skidded across the ground, bruising itself badly, its mouth smashed against the ground causing its teeth to shatter and fly everywhere and then the poor thing came to an abrupt stop when it slammed into the side of wagon.

Shockingly, despite losing all its teeth, despite being bruised, despite having a damaged spine and lungs, the dog immediately stood back up and went back on the attack, latching onto the mantis' thorax and shacking it about while Bim hammered away at it with his pick.

Unfortunately, with no one around to tend to him and no shelter yet made, I fear that Bim is not much longer for this world, and with him the fortress of Flamegem ends before it could begin.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

If anything, based on the history of DF threads, it's probably time for a new thread. Like I guess the forums code is solid enough now that it's not really an issue, but this thread is 8 years old from DF2014 now.

i am not volunteering to write the OP, mind.

Also I was unable to find the original original DF thread, the earliest I found from OPs linking previous threads only went back to 08 or so

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
So found my first issue - apparently they forgot to add the ammo designation into the squad equipment screen, so my archer squad won't pick up any ammo. Hopefully they'll fix that soon!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Got a few hours in tonight this is really good. My only major issue is the stair command seem really finicky. Like I wanted to put my trading depot down a Z level so I needed expand my stairs form 2x2 to 3x3 to accommodate wagons but I cannot get it to work. I was able to add additional stairs down but I cannot get the upstairs to work from the Z level below.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't have any very interesting stories but I'd like a tag to replace my racoon goons tag so here is what's been going on so far.

We've embarked at the foot of some mountains and the source of a river flowing south. It's autumn now and our liason has arrived, we've requested some drinks/weapons for next year and have been tasked with supplying tanned leathers and seeds. Food production is up and running but without a bookkeeper we don't know if we are properly prepared for the winter months. We also embarked with 4 cats, 2 dogs and a number of livestock (and 1 chicken), the plan is to make this a haven where dwarf and cat live in prosperity.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Appreciate the tag but I think something broke in the process lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gang tags all assigned, so pipe up if you want one, and have posted a story (there have been some great ones, keep them coming!)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Appreciate the tag but I think something broke in the process lol

ahahaha i think that's because you had html in your av. i'll see if I can fix it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

nielsm posted:

You start with the words: "This is a video game authored by Toady One. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Menaces with spikes of potential!

I used your bits in the review. And uhhh. :stare:

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Any idea how to check trade depot accessibility? I keep searching through the menus but I'm at a loss for old capital D.

I mean, it let me build the depot at the bottom of a huge ramp but I've been fooled by that before, need to see if there are any trees or errant ramp pieces in the way.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

how's everyone managing stockpiles? i'm nice and self-sufficient now but my fortress floor looks like the messiest college bedroom you have ever seen. should i make a stockpile and a corresponding alcove for every class of object?

god. this game will have me making diagrams. tomorrow i will be playing it without even turning my computer on

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

ahahaha i think that's because you had html in your av. i'll see if I can fix it.

Yeah, mine also busted

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

sebmojo posted:

gang tags all assigned, so pipe up if you want one, and have posted a story (there have been some great ones, keep them coming!)

Oh, just in time before I go to bed, hit me up!
(E: I'm an idiot, you already did!)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Asked before with no response-how do you get to the combat logs page in this version of the game?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

catgirlgenius posted:

how's everyone managing stockpiles? i'm nice and self-sufficient now but my fortress floor looks like the messiest college bedroom you have ever seen. should i make a stockpile and a corresponding alcove for every class of object?

god. this game will have me making diagrams. tomorrow i will be playing it without even turning my computer on

Bins and barrels, lots of bins and barrels.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

sebmojo posted:

ahem

I've got writeups possibly as well

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My Dwarf Fortress tale is from an adventure mode game that I played some years ago. This is a tale about a Gorlak. What the hell is a Gorlak, you might be asking. This is a Gorlak.

They're small, sapient, and the one I ran into was in a tavern and only had one eye left. He was drinking and dancing with everyone else, he seemed welcome and I had never met one before. It was fun trying to talk to him, I asked him about who he was and what he was up to but he was more interested in drinking and partying. After sharing some potato wine, I left to explore more of the city.

I browsed shops, hung around some temples, chatted people up around before making my way to a great big castle in the middle of the city. I guess this was some human capitol. Well as I'm making my way through the courtyard the game slows to a crawl, moreso than usual. I hear a commotion, "There's been a murder!" and "[Human name] is dead!" and right as I hear that, who do I see running from the throne room with great haste but a one eyed Gorlak.

He runs past, and I let him. I made my way into the throne room and I see a single dead human, a Lord. Apparently the Gorlak had, for whatever reason, killed him. I ran back outside and tried to keep on the trail of the one eyed Gorlak, but he was long gone.

Many weeks later I'm exploring a human fortress in the middle of nowhere, and who do I see? Yup, one eyed Gorlak guy. And he remembered me! We got to chat, I noticed he had some new scars, he'd been keeping busy. I think he was even missing a hand at this point. I was shocked that not only had he lived but apparently had lived through much more!

There's nothing else to the story unfortunately, not an epic tale but I haven't seen anything like it since and I always wonder if I'll ever run into anything like the little guy whenever I play adventure mode.

sebmojo posted:

tag pls

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

IronicDongz posted:

Asked before with no response-how do you get to the combat logs page in this version of the game?
I'm learning now that there's no master list of messages or reports anymore. which is extremely, extremely lame and I hope they change that back ASAP

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New tag is great, thanks everyone who contributed to making it.

On that note I am kinda of bummed the Steam release dropped the intro animation.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm kinda tempted to start with no worldgen time, turn enemies off and just build a giant fort that can become the mountain home, then let history progress for a few hundred years and re-embark elsewhere.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 7, 2022

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I thought I found a perfect spot for a fortress: a volcano next to a cliff. The plan was to build flooring and a large draw bridge over the volcano. I built flooring roughly 25% of the way over the volcano, then I built a drawbridge spanning roughly 50%, and designated flooring to be built for the remaining 25%. Unfortunately I didn't realize that a bridge, even when down, does not count as an adjacent tile for flooring. I also didn't know that it can take a few ticks for floors to collapse. I lost four dwarves to the magma who built flooring, immediately stood on it, and then instantly collapsed. This was a major set-back, but fortunately I'd had two migrant waves prior so I build scaffolding next to the bridge in order to complete the path. Problem solved, right? Maybe, but I'll never find out.

I had spent over a year trying to build this majestic entrance to my fort and neglected to build any sort of defenses, not even doors to my dorm and stockpiles. So when a necromancer invaded (I didn't even know they could invade that early), she and her undead minions killed every single dwarf on the map extremely quickly. RIP Glowmountain.

sebmojo posted:

I'd love one. Happy to replace my current one if I can't have two (though preferably I'd have both as I love both games!)

e: Everything about the game is great, but I do miss Dwarf Therapist. The control it gives is great.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 7, 2022

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Thanks for the tag!

The sheer ineptitude of my appointed councildwarves continues. For some unknown reason the book keeper, manager, and broker all decided to take a little stroll on the surface, probably on their way to hassle the haulers who were seeing a fair bit of extra work due to the new fort wide emphasis on shell crafts.

Unfortunately as soon as they poked their heads out the shaft all 3 were attacked and killed by a wandering band of ravens. We have had some trouble in the past with birds attacking our animals and dwarfs but this has been the worst attack yet. I guess there is now a great opportunity for political growth in the fort since the entire council is dead.

I feel like I am starting to get the fundamentals when it comes to caring for the dwarves, but I'm having some troubles with my animals, they all seem to starve. I imagine its because I brought them inside because they kept attacking or being attacked by random wildlife. Is there a good strategy for keeping the starting animals healthy?

e: The added UI really helps me to explore all the different tabs for each dwarf, I'm enjoying it. I don't know if its changed over the past few years but the generated description text all seems a lot more readable than I remember.

The Good Queen Clitoris fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 7, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
drat, lost my embarking woodcutter and axedwarf to a collapsed tree. just collapsed mysteriously on top of them after they cut it down

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Khanstant posted:

drat, lost my embarking woodcutter and axedwarf to a collapsed tree. just collapsed mysteriously on top of them after they cut it down

:iiam:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m not sure I’ll end up playing a lot of it, but I almost felt obligated to buy the game because while it’s insanely weird it’s shaped like almost all the games that I hold dear… and dwarves making a fort is sick.

Anyway I played the tutorial and familiarized myself with the basics, then generated a new world and spent a good 30 minutes picking my ideal spot. Everything was firing on all cylinders. I picked a spot in the mountainside next to a quaint waterfall and started a tunnel - just big enough to get a stockpile, a barracks, and really get on my feet.

Before the miner finished getting 2 blocks deep into the hillside, a giant honey badger killed half of my people and kept waking up despite puking and having apparently horrible wounds to keep just loving dunking on whoever tried to deal with her.

Dwarf Fortress.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I don't need the tag, but I will share this story from a few years ago from when I got fed up of underground forts dying, making a tavern instead, then regretting my actions.

Dieting Hippo posted:

Goddamn werellamas.

The other day I generated a new world and abandoned a few forts after all the dwarves died of thirst or exhaustion. My third fort I placed near a river, and it was called Ulengïtab, "Lostpost". Lostpost was going to be different. Instead of diving immediately into the earth I'd instead set up a tavern, The Weathered Breakfast, and living quarters at the surface while preparing for an excursion underground.

The first year went by without a hitch. I got the hang of farming, a lot of fishers migrated in to fish at the local ponds, and plants grew in abundance for plenty of ale. The dwarven traders came by and this time around I had remembered to make a trader dwarf who was actually set to only trade. I thought an even trade with barrels of fish would be fine, but they got real mad at me and left.

One of the new dwarves, Zon Udistkonos, was tasked to be the tavern cook and brewer. He did a fantastic job up until he fell into a secretive mood, running off to the Craftdwarf's shop to make Sub Fikod, an Ashen Crown.

This is the first fey mood object I've gotten, and it's pretty sweet! I figure I'll save it until the traders pop back around so I can buy whatever I want from 'em. Zon won't go back to work though. Zon is now the best woodworker in the land. Zon is yelling up at me, defiantly not going back to brewing and cooking for ingrateful drunk dwarves. I let him keep crafting and put other dwarves on the kitchen shifts. I figure they'll get mad at Zod for having to cover his shifts.

Then the werellama appeared.

It came in from the southeast and I let it run down to a lower elevation before hitting pause to get an idea of where it was going to run at the village. I followed it, and saw I had paused it right before it was about to maul a dwarven child playing make believe in the woods. Oooooops. No one in Lostpost was trained to fight except for a visiting Monster Slayer, so I unpaused and hoped for the best. It went on to take out three more dwarves before turning back into a dwarf itself and scurrying away. It hurt, but I was thankful no one left alive had been bit.

:rip:

Time passed, and more visitors came to the tavern. It was popular early on with traveling musicians, and I had formally let three into Lostpost before deciding that was enough bards and telling the rest to take a hike. I didn't take close notice for a while of the tavern patrons, but when I did I saw how many bards I really had.

A lot of bards.

I could tell the dwarves in town were getting crowded out by all the late-night partying and merry-making, so progress began on underground quarters. Each dwarf gets a room, a large ornate meeting hall, and whatever other amenities could be provided. I never got around to that though, because a new werellama attacked. This time the werellama wrecked a few fisherdwarves next to the brook before heading into town. It stopped by the farm and started slashing the throats and ripping the limbs off of farmers until the most beautiful thing happened. A swarm of drunk, angry musicians poured out of the bar into the farm and started kicking the poo poo out of the werellama with lutes and triangles. It turned back into an elf, but the musicians didn't care. They would make the werellama know why it fears the night.

The light blue "e to the right is the werellama elf, and the swarm of purple is all the bards chasing it down. Note the bloodied lute among the dead dwarves in the stockpile to the top left.

The werellama was now gone and no one walking around seemed to have any bites, but I noticed that three of my dwarves had no job assigned. They were laying on the ground bleeding out from missing limbs, but they weren't dead. Even my expedition leader was among them, except he was trying to have a meeting while missing a leg. There was no hospital set up, so the most prudent course of action that I took was to let the dwarves bleed out before they turn into werellamas themselves. They did not bleed out fast enough, and they allllll turned into werellamas. gently caress.

Goddamnit.

Those four yellow spooky guys then proceeded to tear the entire tavern of sloshed bards limb from limb. There was no way I was stop 3 werellamas in the middle of town, so I sat by and watched the carnage ensue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0IxsyXjG5Y

So ends Ulengïtab, "Lostpost". Unlike the forts I made before, this one thrived outside the dwarf's natural habitat of caves and fungi. It brought together culture and fine food, keeping the dwarves content and happy to socialize without starving or thinking bad thoughts. Up until everyone got shredded into bits. Zon was mutilated during the early attacks that day, and I was planning on displaying his ashen crown in one of the temples as a memorial to his stubbornness. I guess I'll have to make a new fort and send out a party to reclaim it.

Also a followup, I did eventually retrieve that crown with a new fort's excursion. You can bet your rear end I made sure there were drawbridges everywhere in the new place.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Hihohe posted:

You dig a shaft halfway to the water, build a floodgate in the shaft, connect to a lever and raise the floodgate, continue digging to water let your dwarf get out and close floodgate
Or you build the floodgate and tunnel, and channel out the last tile from a z level up to avoid any risk of drowning whatsoever.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The drat tree-lovers have figured out how to grow metals now? This is blasphemy!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

strike the earth-defilers

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dammit, dwarfs can't seamlessly switch between woodcutting and mining for some reason. I recall that focusing all the strength-heavy work on select dwarfs was a good way to get them super swole and fantastic militia fodder, but this is a skosh annoying to futz around with every time.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Dammit, dwarfs can't seamlessly switch between woodcutting and mining for some reason.
That's been true since the original release lmao

alwayshasbeen.jpg

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I haven't dived into the new version but did they change anything about how burrows work? I want to build a multi tiered fort where dwarves are restricted to a certain Z-Level range. I'll have surface dwarves, upper crust dwarves, cave layer dwarves and deep dwarves that work the lava forges.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Does my fortress getting trampled by elephants qualify for a tag? If so, I'd like one please!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

:cheers: thanks Seb for my first gangtag in 7 years

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

I'd like a gang tag please (replacing the 'I Want Nothing').
I have a few screenshots somewhere in the depths of my harddrive, but the stories they told are lost at this stage.

It was very Fun to experience how were-beasts worked when they were first introduced. My fledgeling fort was attacked by a surprisingly ferocious were-sheep. My military managed to dispatch it, but not without injuries. Which meant that one of the soldiers turned into a were-sheep in the infirmary during the next full moon.
The damage was contained, but it was a close loving call.
Then later I experimented with the danger room in that fort (repeating traps of harmless wooden spears) and inadvertently created a crop of super soldiers, so when a dragon attacked my top swordswoman wandered out, dodged or deflected every single strike, bite, and burst of dragonfire, while dismantling the legendary beast. The danger level of the game got a bit too boring after that. Aside from that ONE incident when the best soldier in the barracks took her newborn into the danger room and turned it into a shishkebab, with the predictable rampage that followed.

The last fort I remember doing was the Mauseleum Fortress. That is, the domain of a solitary dwarf that welcomed every new migrant caravan by guiding them up into the viewing platform atop the grand tower to survey their new domain. Whereupon there was the click of a trap-door before they plummeted to the bowels of the mountain to join the dead and receive their lavishly furnished tombs.
I'm surprised that the fort went as well as it did, with only a single point of failure, but the Mauseleum Master lived on for a long, long time. I'm also very curious how this would play out if I had done it after hauntings were implemented; it ought to turn out even better with ghosts around to thank their liberator!

I'm extremely excited to see a military that actually picks up their armor and follows their orders.

Aeble fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 7, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

FFT posted:

That's been true since the original release lmao

alwayshasbeen.jpg

drat, man, it's been a while, okay?! I probably could put in the effort back in 2011 or something

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I would like to request a gang tag please!

A lot has happened in my fort but here's the first request I received:

Of all the worshippers that could have wanted their own temple, it was The Moist Faith. So of course I built them a nice one, and the head priest is named the Sacred Lobster. I love this game. :allears:

Clocks fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 8, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

It's been a while, but have you made a bucket?

Umm, those dorks didn't bring a single bucket with themselves? Well hopefully those can be made from wood......

Shouldn't the game say that I need some materials, and not complain about invalid placement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm grinding a lot of dust off to play DF for the first time in 8 years or something, but we're starting to get somewhere. Nothing that interesting has happened so far, but I've gotta say that the mouse-based UI is pretty good, and remembering/learning the keystrokes for common tasks is coming back. I'm looking forward to having a long weekend day to just fortress dwarfs for 6 or 8 hours and really get back in the groove.