Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Aaaand another day of weekly quests not tracking progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
What I dislike is when you're in melee and the shooty dudes to the sides are still trying to pump lead/lasers into you despite being like 3 feet away.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I really wanna play my zealot and get the flamer but my weekly is to play 25 missions which is kind of a lot? and it won't reroll

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
With the combat axes has anyone found out the purpose of the special action underhanded swing? does it have any special properties like getting under shields or freeing allies or anything at all? trying to understand it's use case because it seems fairly low damage and slow.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

Has anyone got the no melee hit penance for Vet and can offer any tips? I’ve come close a couple times and always get smacked in the back.

Age old trick - bitch about it and get it next try.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

With the combat axes has anyone found out the purpose of the special action underhanded swing? does it have any special properties like getting under shields or freeing allies or anything at all? trying to understand it's use case because it seems fairly low damage and slow.

According to the tooltip it ignores stagger resistance, and in practice that seems to hold true. It can be somewhat useful against ragers, to knock them out of their attack loop and let you start charging up heavies.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Did my first Damnation run tonight. Honestly wasn't so bad. I've put a bit of effort into gear but haven't obsessively geared up. We just had four solid dudes who stayed near each other and did their jobs and it felt roughly on par with a Heresy mission, other than a few really protracted firefights. Two ogryn, a veteran, and a zealot.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Yeah from my experience Damnation isn't that significantly harder than Heresy, compared to the Malice -> Heresy jump.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Khizan posted:

The bolt racking is the only thing that stops the bolter from being completely OP.

Even then you can pull it out as the vet and immediately use the volley talent that reloads it to have the gun skip the rack animation.

I prefer the recon lasgun (i've got one that lets me fire 206 rounds before reloading and it carries 900 shots) but it makes the bolter very good.

Although if they nerf the power sword heavy attacks i'll never kill a carapace armored enemy.

This is the only place i've found in the game that does that (and it does it consistently). There's one inconsistent one on the vault level too (in an outside area), but it depends on how fast you run the level, if you speedrun it, it breaks the spawns :v: Enemies don't spawn like this anywhere else because it does it while you're in the lift.

E: It does it if you just wait and stare at the corner, too.

E2: They literally just fixed it

Fixed an issue where enemies could spawn in view of players near the elevator in Chasm Station HL-16-11.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Dec 7, 2022

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I got the bolter on my Zealot at level 13 and honestly, I don't think it's particularly great? My flamer kills hordes better and looks cooler so the only real use I have of the bolter is killing special enemies relatively fast. Even then it takes an entire clip to do so

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zzulu posted:

I got the bolter on my Zealot at level 13 and honestly, I don't think it's particularly great? My flamer kills hordes better and looks cooler so the only real use I have of the bolter is killing special enemies relatively fast. Even then it takes an entire clip to do so

You can get rolls on the bolter that have it do enough damage to kill crushers in one shot.

Well, two, you have to shoot into a squad with a bolt first. Then the next 14 rounds all do ridiculous damage. Probably more broken on vet with their weak spot perks.

VVVVVVVVVVVVV

Patch notes: Ogryn Pre-Order Beta Helmet will no longer apply a voice filter effect.

What the gently caress

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
They just released Hotfix 1.0.14. Patch notes

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

that voice filter was super annoying. excited for the heavy stubber buff!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Buffed heavy stubber.
Buffed damage from 75-150 to 100-200.
Buffed berserker armor mod from near 0.5/far 0.6 to near 1.0/far 0.8.
Buffed impact from 8-16 to 10-20.

:gizz:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

just tried it in the meat grinder and :swoon:

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

It's interesting seeing people playing this game falling into two broad camps. 1) very upset about cash shop and janky progression / lack of crafting and 2) enjoying the gameplay a lot so the side issues (of which there are many) aren't really a big deal.

It took me a few days to find my old vermintide sway for melee, so that you can clear hordes without ever being hit. Chainsword heavy swings are really great for masses of infantry, and it's fun to run around revving it. Just unlocked the power sword but haven't had a chance to use it yet. The recon lasgun is fantastic, maybe I got a good roll but it's incredible for single target DPS and for clearing crowds when you can just spray a massive mag at head height.

The conundrum of pubbies vs daemonhosts continue. I'll have a run of 3 games where they pull it every time, and then a run of 3 where they know to leave it alone.

Am finding the progression tracking to be erratic, but I'm not too fazed at this juncture. I will say that I love the environments, but the missions don't feel that varied compared to something like Vermintide (both 1 and 2), where you had more clear goals taking you to do very different things.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Eh, the gameplay is quite fun but the game feels like a massive step back in many ways from even VT1.

There are way too few maps, and even if you get a mission set in a "different" area of the same map its usually just a mirror of the original map. Locations are very samey and honestly most of them are drab as hell and even in a hive there are areas that could be used to give some variety. Vermintide 2 had 13 missions set in unique locales while this game has 5 maps, its absolutely inexcusable.

Weaponwise there arent enough to choose from. Picking between "rifle with burst" and "fulll auto rifle" isnt something i would consider two different weapons myself. Having three different variants of the same base Kantrael lasgun for example is just lazy as hell, they just tweak some numbers but share the same model.

There is also no story at all, even when they touted the story and narrative playing a bigger part. Who is the traitor captain from the intro cutscene? Who is Brahms and why do we never even see her for the whole duration of the levelling process? This might partially be because they intend on releasing seasons in the future but it doesnt change the fact that what we see is what we get, and what we see is definitely not a full games worth of content (even at 40bux).

After i got to 30 the thought going through my head was "Thats it?" which leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

:black101: Goblin King :black101:
Grimey Drawer
I've really been enjoying the game, the core gameplay is extremely good. I think I have a more positive view in large part because I've both ignored all the pre-release marketing (I dismissed Darktide initially because I never liked L4D or other similar games) and I've never played Vermintide either. So I have no comparisons to make to any recent games, nor can I make myself care about how many weapons there are exactly in the game. Sure, there's no story (the cutscenes are just dumb) and the loot system is not the best, but I find that I really don't care since I enjoy chopping up enemies. Oh and I'm also very lucky to not have had the game crash on me even once in 40+ hours.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BombiTheZombie posted:

Eh, the gameplay is quite fun but the game feels like a massive step back in many ways from even VT1.

There are way too few maps, and even if you get a mission set in a "different" area of the same map its usually just a mirror of the original map. Locations are very samey and honestly most of them are drab as hell and even in a hive there are areas that could be used to give some variety. Vermintide 2 had 13 missions set in unique locales while this game has 5 maps, its absolutely inexcusable.

Weaponwise there arent enough to choose from. Picking between "rifle with burst" and "fulll auto rifle" isnt something i would consider two different weapons myself. Having three different variants of the same base Kantrael lasgun for example is just lazy as hell, they just tweak some numbers but share the same model.

There is also no story at all, even when they touted the story and narrative playing a bigger part. Who is the traitor captain from the intro cutscene? Who is Brahms and why do we never even see her for the whole duration of the levelling process? This might partially be because they intend on releasing seasons in the future but it doesnt change the fact that what we see is what we get, and what we see is definitely not a full games worth of content (even at 40bux).

After i got to 30 the thought going through my head was "Thats it?" which leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I agree, I'd like to eventually reach level 30 for the 4 characters, as I did with VT2, but I know I will tire myself from the same levels and environments before reaching that point.
You can also add the fact in VT2 we had 5 classes witch 3 subclasses, unlike the four classes we have know.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Got Psyker to 30 and soublaze build just seems like a poor decision over the more useful talents in all those tiers. Extra brainpop when you use your ult is a ton of fun, instead.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also for what its worth even with the limited map selection, even more limited since I was playing through the beta, I definitely got 40 USD worth out of this game already. 110 hours taking 2 classes to 30, almost half of my vermintide 2 playtime over 5 years. It's genuinely a super sick game and I'd honestly say its more fun than vermintide is, will definitely surpass it over the course of its devtime with new content.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
The more I play the more it feels like Psyker and Zealot are just... superfluous. Brain pops not scaling means you can either spend a lot of time trying to pop one Crusher, or wait for the vet to blow it the gently caress away in a quarter of the time. Yeah you could use staffs and leave BB alone, but then you're just a Vet with less ranged talents and worse weapon selection.

Zealot's the same - he's got some good melee options, and one busted toughness build, but Vet's powersword completely trivializes pox hordes and makes mincemeat of practically everything else in melee just as well. Ranged damage wise zealot can't compete.

Ogryn's at least different enough that he plays different enough, but I feel like theres a lot of overlap between vet and the other 2 classes and that vet kind of outshines both of the other classes in their respective roles currently.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fishstick posted:

The more I play the more it feels like Psyker and Zealot are just... superfluous. Brain pops not scaling means you can either spend a lot of time trying to pop one Crusher, or wait for the vet to blow it the gently caress away in a quarter of the time. Yeah you could use staffs and leave BB alone, but then you're just a Vet with less ranged talents and worse weapon selection.

Zealot's the same - he's got some good melee options, and one busted toughness build, but Vet's powersword completely trivializes pox hordes and makes mincemeat of practically everything else in melee just as well. Ranged damage wise zealot can't compete.

Ogryn's at least different enough that he plays different enough, but I feel like theres a lot of overlap between vet and the other 2 classes and that vet kind of outshines both of the other classes in their respective roles currently.

Psyker has way better weapon (singular) selection than the Vet does, the Voidstrike staff is way stronger than the plasma, way more usable than the bolter, and has infinite ammo and near constant heat mitigation for the low price of lower single target dps making it not as good at deleting high health specials, something your brain burst does. A really good veteran will be able to kill specials as fast as you but theres plenty of situations where brain bursting a fleeing target or something rapid firing while you are behind cover still remains useful, and then your ability to abgsolutely demolish every single horde from every angle without needing chokepoints via voidstrike and keep groups of dangerous enemies chainstunned is amazing.

Genuinely miss the voidstrike when I go back to playing vet, plasma just doesn't compete in the same way outside of amazing ogryn killing potential.

Which the force sword also makes you excellent at, another great weapon option for psyker. An elite killer that has good swinging normals with high damage that can also stunlock like the chain weapons but does it while also damaging and knocking back enemies near your target, something exclusive to psyker.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 7, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Got Zealot, Veteran, and Ogryn to Level 30 in about 104 hours. 0/5, will never buy another Fatshark game again, time to keep up with my weeklies and join in with friends whenever they're playing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Genuinely had a high spawn modifier mission go real poor today in the sabotage finale where the team was split up and dying everywhere while the horde was spilling from every entrance, and I was able to stand in the center of the objective killing hundreds of enemies in close quarters with the void strike, holding the whole thing back while my zealot friend picked up the downed members and got us back together again.

Really don't underestimate how massive that voidstrike knockdown is for its versatility and quality. With good timing you'll be untouchable even in the thick of melee.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 7, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

toasterwarrior posted:

Got Zealot, Veteran, and Ogryn to Level 30 in about 104 hours. 0/5, will never buy another Fatshark game again, time to keep up with my weeklies and join in with friends whenever they're playing.

You played the game more than a part time job, and hated it. Neat.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Quote edit etc

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I kinda only just realised this but the Darktide characters spend about 80% of their time shouting, which is maybe another reason I think the dialogue is several steps down from the previous two games.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
it's a joke you silly goose

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

You played the game more than a part time job, and hated it. Neat.

expert joke identifiers

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I know it'd be definitely on the ridiculous end of the power level but I hope Psykers eventually get like psy bolters or even the human sized inquisitorial psycannon as options for alternatives to staffs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just want other staffs to be better. psyker is a one weapon class atm

well, kind of two, the lightning staff is ok. but purgatus and uh, the explosion from above one are both pretty terrible

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Fishstick posted:

I'm working on Vet as my last character having gotten all the others to 30 and WOW does it feel OP after playing every other class.

You have a variety of guns but all of the ones i've used delete specials if you just press F, which has a super low cooldown. Once I got my powersword I don't even bother shooting poxwalkers/hordes unless I just feel like shooting for its own sake. I do make sure to prioritize taking out enemy shooters as soon as I see them. I also spam grenades because I get a free one every minute so, why not?

On top of all of this I also get 200 toughness for some reason and I regenerate toughness when no one is near me which makes taking trades in firefights easier. This class really has the tools to take on any situation unless you shoot so much you run out of ammo.

I think spending so much time playing the other classes first has upped my melee game considerably which makes the powersword feel even more overpowered. On my Zealot I had to learn to effectively use the eviscerator's push attack -> light follow up -> rev -> heavy cleave combo but on Vet I just activate the sword, do a couple light swipes, then back dodge and do it again if there's more targets in front of me.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 7, 2022

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

tehinternet posted:

Let’s review what you posted, because on a re-read it seems less that “some people can’t read” and more that you didn’t really think about what you wrote actually means.

1. Gambling with materials that you would have to spend an order of magnitude more time to get without being able to see what you’d get = good vs the random store

Being able to see what you get and being able to not leave it to chance AND being able to use basic currency is pretty sweet by comparison, even with the poo poo timer. You didn’t say that you love loot boxes, but what’s the difference between having to waste your time so you can gamble? Gambling and loot boxes are functionally the same thing.

2. Paraphrasing, but I’d said that if you need a grinding mechanic to play the game that your priorities are out of order. Because the game part of the game rules and having to rely on RNG on a single blind chance kinda sucks.

3. Logging in to check the store — that you see 15ish random items that you’re not forced to buy —is in no way shittier than having a dice roll where you get to see one item that you’re stuck with. You could always just check the store when you play the game instead?

The store takes the dice roll and makes it free — you get fifteen chances to get random items in the shop without having to grind materials!

To be clear, the timer on the store sucks, but it’s better than having to roll the dice and being stuck with an item (which you can still do at Sire Melk’s).

All of this is irrelevant when VT2 let you craft the exact weapon you wanted without any gambling. That's the point. The store is a backwards step, full stop. There's nothing better about it for the player than VT2's system. I saw my first zealot bolter after 40+ hours.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Psyker has way better weapon (singular) selection than the Vet does, the Voidstrike staff is way stronger than the plasma, way more usable than the bolter, and has infinite ammo and near constant heat mitigation for the low price of lower single target dps making it not as good at deleting high health specials, something your brain burst does. A really good veteran will be able to kill specials as fast as you but theres plenty of situations where brain bursting a fleeing target or something rapid firing while you are behind cover still remains useful, and then your ability to abgsolutely demolish every single horde from every angle without needing chokepoints via voidstrike and keep groups of dangerous enemies chainstunned is amazing.

I doubt the Voidstrike staff will stay like that for long. With certain perks is without a doubt the best ranged weapon in the game. Just the reduce peril when hitting a weakspot blessing is enough to spam it most of the time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

big cummers ONLY posted:

All of this is irrelevant when VT2 let you craft the exact weapon you wanted without any gambling. That's the point. The store is a backwards step, full stop. There's nothing better about it for the player than VT2's system. I saw my first zealot bolter after 40+ hours.

That seems like a bug, or you have extraordinarily bad luck. After I unlocked the bolter the vast majority of store refreshes included at least one, and that's been true of most weapons.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Either way it's still worse than vt2 which had a 0% chance of you not getting to play with a weapon you wanted to try out

E: like, even if it's a bug, what's the argument? I'll probably see a weapon within several shop refreshes? So I only need to play for a week or so at an hour a day to be almost certain I'll see a weapon I want to try? It's wild, I don't mind rng when grinding to perfect a weapon, but to be arbitrarily locked out of trying something by chance sucks.

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 7, 2022

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

BombiTheZombie posted:

I agree with all of this. I still like the game and I very much enjoy shooting up hordes with my Ogryn BUT I was expecting a bit more story to immerse in as well as more maps and also guns/tools to use during gameplay. I am nowhere near 30 yet (how are you all getting there so quick?) but I imagine I will be pretty bored of the game loop by then due to the above mentioned reasons.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I just want other staffs to be better. psyker is a one weapon class atm

well, kind of two, the lightning staff is ok. but purgatus and uh, the explosion from above one are both pretty terrible

Yeah, the trauma staff in particular is pretty much just "Voidstrike but worse". Same general purpose behind it, but worse targeting, range, and peril cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
All I know is that I was able to troll my friends by screenshotting every time my Vt2 loot lootboxes rolled double reds, but I go days without seeing a plasma gun.