Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pennant posted:

I'm sorry I thought this was the UFO thread, not the dumb-gently caress drugs and dying are god thread. I'll just leave and find the UFO thread which while based on little evidence, at least posits a cogent theory that makes a lick of sense.

Obviously I wouldn't want to trawl through pages of nonsense with people seemingly arguing that the existence of NDE's is evidence of...( insert whatever you think you are arguing for here I haven't a clue. Space Yahweh?)

Guys I think we found one of the people with the increased neuron density

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Neuron
Dense
Tyson

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

maybe these posters are expecting star wars and dune type poo poo from here i dunno or a series of penis based photoshops

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Some people be coming into the thread wanting UFO information but the reality is there isn't much of it and, rest assured, we have PORED over what little info there is.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Slavvy posted:

The existence of NDT's is evidenced of something but I'm not sure what just yet

Hetetosrxuality is an affront to god

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

A spaceship flash froze me with a beam and I thought the posters on somethingawful would be able to tell me which species was piloting it but noooooooo, they're too busy talking about death

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Barry Foster posted:

Like I'm not (just) being rude it just seems really weird to storm out of a thread you've barely participated in in a big huff

they got that low iq energy

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I want to Give You All Ego Death Until You're So Uncertain About Reality You're Only Convinced Of The Precarious Nature Of Your Own Unshakeable Understanding Of Literally Anything That Happens Which You're Capable Of Perceiving.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Just strap you the gently caress down and force feed you LSD until a doctor cries and begs me to stop and then I reveal my drivers licence for the camera, which says "Happy East" and then I wink at the camera as you scream adn then yakkety sax plays and it's J'Rooti and the P'nti Seven playing smooth jazz while you scream roll credits

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Wheeee posted:

they got that low iq energy

bad caudate putamen! Many such cases!

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Hello everyone, first time poster and a long time lurker of this thread. I absolutely love all of this high strangeness!

But yeah, I find this talk about NDE's very interesting from personal perspective. I come from pretty materialistic perspective but also have had an experience that can't be easily explained away from that personal perspective. Mainly a chemically induced, difficult psychosis illness (never every doing psychedelics again!). Not to go too much into details here, but the delusions I had were extremely hellish experience with visions, feelings and seemingly rational thought processes confirming that yeah I'm going to or am right now doomed into hell-like existence for eternity.

I know that NDE's have very different triggers and causes (no drugs, often traumatic physical event etc.) but there are some commonalities, mainly the thing about the experience being more real than real life and absolute certainty that it isn't a hallucination.

What got me over it (and it took years of mulling over it, medication and, well, time dulling the edges off the experience) was mainly rationalization about humanity (and some surface level fascination with Buddhism). Like I said, I'm pretty materialistic with a deep love for history and delving into human cultural richness. There were pretty straightforward elements in my experience that would make sense only to me, living in modern western nation within its cultural context. If someone from indigenous peoples in Siberia, from times of Roman empire or one of our mammoth hunting ancestors experienced what I did, it wouldn't make much sense to them. That tells me that I didn't experience any kind of objective hell, it was tailor made for me by some other entity or my brain. And if that is the case, there's no certainty in the experience and that I should stop having this feeling of doom and despair about it. Because it wasn't literal, objective truth, it was subjective and that gives me enough comforting leeway that things can change. Because they obviously already had what with the hell mysteriously being made for people in my cultural context and I very much doubt that that cultural context is some kind of universal baseline for all living beings.

What does this haver to do with NDE's? Well, what I've read about them ITT, it seems that there are many cultural ques in them. Like distinct religious iconography, Jesus making an appearance or even monitors and computers. So that to me suggests that NDE's, despite their commonalities, are also somewhat tailored to the perceiver. And if it isn't the brain doing it, it would mean that there are some entities with enough power and cultural knowledge doing it.

I don't know if this gives more credence to all that loosh/prison planet theories or to something else. I have some moral qualms about the idea that we all some higher spirits/spirit, who choose to be here with all the experiences, relatively good and the absolutely bad suffering experiences being ultimately a willing choice. In that sense I guess that prison planet idea would make more moral sense to me, we didn't choose this, there just are some evil entities loving with us and the galaxy-brain Liam Neeson hasn't found out about this dungeon we are trapped in.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Glah posted:

If someone from indigenous peoples in Siberia, from times of Roman empire or one of our mammoth hunting ancestors experienced what I did, it wouldn't make much sense to them. That tells me that I didn't experience any kind of objective hell, it was tailor made for me by some other entity or my brain. And if that is the case, there's no certainty in the experience and that I should stop having this feeling of doom and despair about it. Because it wasn't literal, objective truth, it was subjective and that gives me enough comforting leeway that things can change.
that's good advice for thinking your way through some tough trips

quote:

I don't know if this gives more credence to all that loosh/prison planet theories or to something else.
any good links to this stuff, i missed that class

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Glah posted:

I don't know if this gives more credence to all that loosh/prison planet theories or to something else. I have some moral qualms about the idea that we all some higher spirits/spirit, who choose to be here with all the experiences, relatively good and the absolutely bad suffering experiences being ultimately a willing choice. In that sense I guess that prison planet idea would make more moral sense to me, we didn't choose this, there just are some evil entities loving with us and the galaxy-brain Liam Neeson hasn't found out about this dungeon we are trapped in.

Evil entities loving with us to feed on our suffering makes no sense. If we are cattle for higher dimensional entities, then we are just that; cattle. There would be no advantage in making us suffer like there is no advantage in making the animals we raise for meat suffer. Suffering is just an unavoidable aspect of being alive. Just like sadness is an unavoidable aspect of love.

When people wish for no more suffering and sadness I don't think they fully realize the implications. Death and apathy.

Always loved these verses by Gibran:

Then said Almitra, Speak to us of Love.
And he raised his head and looked upon
the people, and there fell a stillness upon
them. And with a great voice he said:
When love beckons to you, follow him,
Though his ways are hard and steep.
And when his wings enfold you yield to
him,
Though the sword hidden among his
pinions may wound you.
And when he speaks to you believe in
him,
Though his voice may shatter your dreams
as the north wind lays waste the garden.

For even as love crowns you so shall he
crucify you. Even as he is for your growth
so is he for your pruning.
Even as he ascends to your height and
caresses your tenderest branches that quiver
in the sun,
So shall he descend to your roots and
shake them in their clinging to the earth.

Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto
himself.
He threshes you to make you naked.
He sifts you to free you from your husks.
He grinds you to whiteness.
He kneads you until you are pliant;
And then he assigns you to his sacred
fire, that you may become sacred bread for
God’s sacred feast.

All these things shall love do unto you
that you may know the secrets of your
heart, and in that knowledge become a
fragment of Life’s heart.

But if in your fear you would seek only
love’s peace and love’s pleasure,
Then it is better for you that you cover
your nakedness and pass out of love’s
threshing-floor,
Into the seasonless world where you
shall laugh, but not all of your laughter,
and weep, but not all of your tears.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The last thing I do every day is read this thread and listen to art bell and tonight he is talking about out of body experiences.

Art bell: "alright we're going to get to calls shorty but first a fax." And another quote
"I've heard people talk about blue white flashes."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Could use references to this because in searching the literature I come up with a bunch of hits from 2018-2019 on both DMT and ketamine mimicking NDEs, and a paper dated 2022 expanding upon the ketamine paper in particular, so it looks like research in this area is continuing at least. But I've not done a deep dive into this area like many of you because there is only so much time in the day. I do have a copy of Michael Pollan's recent book so perhaps I'll start there.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251220135_Endogenous_Ketamine-Like_Compounds_and_the_NDE_If_So_So_What

Look, I have no dog in the fight of whether NDEs are "real" or not--ITT I've been pretty clearly on the side of "the meaning one takes from an experience is real" full stop. The consistency of experiences is compelling, but biology is a consistent factor so vOv And I can see how it would be beneficial to the individual undergoing death to be calmed and reassured, although THERE IS NO HERITABILITY IN THIS TRAIT, BY DEFINITION.

At least its something to talk about while we wait for OUR GODDAMNED REPORT

Just catching up, that's interesting. I wasn't really aware of the ketamine hypothesis before, and I'm not aware of any endogenous ketamine-like compounds (I don't have access to that paper, though)

I remember reading quite a lot about how the DMT hypothesis doesn't hold up but I'm struggling to remember where, though there is this article:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/out-the-darkness/201810/near-death-experiences-and-dmt

I guess one difference is that while it's possible one massive K-hole or one particularly profound DMT trip could have permanent effects on a personality, it certainly doesn't seem to happen very often or consistently (and I can very much speak for the former - I've had some wild K trips but nothing I've ever experienced has ever come close to the clarity or extreme profundity commonly reported by NDErs, nor can I remember them clearly or permanently). The truly remarkable element of the NDE isn't so much the root event but rather its fruit, I think - which doesn't rule out a biological basis, of course, but it would be a pretty unique biological event if that was what was happening

(and then of course there's the Hofmannian argument that "biology" is really just a perceptual metaphor anyway, a difference without an ultimate distinction)

EDIT and of course there's the extremely problematic (if still very murky) question of veridicial NDEs

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It's pretty interesting that Karl Jansen says this here

quote:

I am no longer as opposed to spiritual explanations of near-death phenomena as my article and this response to the commentaries on it would appear to suggest. Over the past two years (it has been quite some time since I first drafted the article) I have moved more toward the views put forward by John Lilly and Stanislav Grof: namely, that drugs and psychological disciplines such as meditation and yoga my render certain "states" more accessible. The complication then becomes defining just what we mean by "states" and where they are located, if indeed location is an appropriate term at all. But the apparent emphasis on matter over nonmatter contained within this article no longer accurately represents my attitudes.

My forthcoming book Ketamine will consider mystical issues from quite a different perspective, and will give a much stronger voice to those who see drugs as just another door to a space, and not as actually producing that space. After 12 years of studying ketamine, I now believe that there most definitely is a soul that is independent of experience. It exists when we begin, and may persist when we end. Ketamine is a door to a place we cannot normally get to; it is definitely not evidence that such a place does not exist. I regret my past emphasis on the overriding importance of theories of matter as they stood in the late 1980s. Ketamine suggests that we still have much to learn.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Gravid Topiary posted:

any good links to this stuff, i missed that class

Don't have any good links to give right now, sorry.

But "loosh" was a concept coined by Robert Monroe (the same guy behind the Monroe tapes discussed ITT) about spiritual energy that strong emotions like love create. That concept was in turn furthered into ideas that suffering could also create it and you start to see it used in discussions about psychedelic experiences, especially with DMT. That gives us the idea about "machine elves" and whatnot harvesting loosh from humanity and in most distressing scenario, the idea of prison planet where we are the cattle to these spritual wardens. In some concepts, NDEs are a trick to fool us into returning into reincarnation cycle and to our prison.

But these things are really a modern idea with similarities to Gnostic and maybe Buddhist thought. Dunno how much they've influenced the new age culture where this prison planet thing stems from. Buddhism was a big thing in the 60's counter culture so there most likely is some cultural influence there but aren't so sure about gnosticism.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
spiritualizing my bipolar with loosh and angels

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Evil entities loving with us to feed on our suffering makes no sense. If we are cattle for higher dimensional entities, then we are just that; cattle. There would be no advantage in making us suffer like there is no advantage in making the animals we raise for meat suffer.

Well it would make sense if it is the suffering itself these entities feed upon. Just like it would make sense that humans would make cattle suffer if it was the adrenaline filled meat that is created from animal's fear that humans were addicted to. Twisted and evil kind of sense, but sense nevertheless.

Also that was a nice verse!

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Ya but stressed cattle presumably produce cortisol or some analogue which would make you stressed out if you eat it. The ideal is a happy cow.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
https://www.grass-fed-solutions.com/cattle-stress.html

"Cattle stress can completely undo all the hard work of finishing cattle for slaughter.

While microscopic fat cells in meat are responsible for tenderness and flavor (Rules 1, 2, and 3) of the Seven Rules of Producing Great Beef, meat can also become tough and flavorless through the effects of stress. Stress causes muscle fibers to tense up and triggers a cascade of changes in the body chemistry of the beef animal.

Cattle stress raises adrenaline in the body. Adrenaline production is the natural response to stress that prepares the body for a fight-or-flight response to a perceived threat. Cattle are no different from us in this regard. If you are finishing beef cattle for slaughter, or plan to, it is worth looking at what this stress response actually does to the beef animal and how it affects the meat...

Adrenaline forces muscles to tense up, preparing the animal for quick action. (This is also why adrenaline is often injected into humans to revive us from a cardiac arrest. It forces the heart muscles to tense up and get back to work...)"

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Glah posted:

Well it would make sense if it is the suffering itself these entities feed upon. Just like it would make sense that humans would make cattle suffer if it was the adrenaline filled meat that is created from animal's fear that humans were addicted to. Twisted and evil kind of sense, but sense nevertheless.

Yes but in that case we would probably be kept inside torture devices to maximize our suffering instead of letting us free roam and subject ourselves to random suffering depending on circumstances. Efficiency!

We need to imagine our hardship and suffering have a reason, a purpose, to give them meaning, because it's very difficult for us to deal with a meaningless world. Always easier to imagine our lives are guided by invisible hands so we can blame them for the things we don't like, so we don't have to face our own responsibility.

I'm like everyone in that I don't like to suffer, but I don't think we need to invent a reason for the existence of suffering besides it being a survival mechanism to avoid danger.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

New CGI reconstruction dropped!

https://www.reddit.com/r/HighStrangeness/comments/zev889/carsized_lavaorb_ufo_skips_like_a_stone_on_water/

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i dont like the loosh theory because it too easily explains away any responsibility for the life i am living. it gives people a pass to not examine themselves because any results of said examination are guaranteed to enhance the misery.

i think in a kind of loose way that bad moods beget bad luck, there a lot of stories and even studies done where mood affects electronics negetively...chargers wont work, cables wont work, your guitar strings break, you send crockery to the floor instead of just bumping it etc, the worse you feel the worse this becomes and it ignores your potential to turn it around

i think loosh adherants have given up agency basically and thats very sad

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

none of that, confusingly, detracts from the concept of loosh. of farming framing and profiting off or by it. that droll autopilot fatalistic fog is real and does exist for many people under many names. its a real force in the world, refined and extracted misery

but the opposite is also true at all times and now i think about it its kinda a gross insult to the universe to assume its made on the same level as an abbatoir and nothing more

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If the reptilians want my precious garmonbozia they're gonna have to work for it

ain't no one gonna buy the human if they can get the loosh for free

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Well I'm not a loosh/prison planet believer.

But were it true, it wouldn't necessarily mean a loss of agency anymore that people in open prisons are without agency.

We'd still be free to do actions and choices as they affect other beings on the planet. The machine elves or whatever would just feed on the consequences of those actions. Nothing changes from materialist perspective about morality and free will, it'd be just that these entities would look down upon us like we look upon Lord of the Flies or something like that.

Contrasting this to ideas about our spirits or whatnot choosing this existence to fullfill some mission or something similar, prison planet idea has more agency for souls. Because if suffering was premeditated to bring about some goal instead of rising from actions of free agents within limited framework, then it would mean that suffering really serves some purpose and would be a....... good thing? And that doesn't really mesh up with my personal moral outlook. Like some kid starving, being abused and eventually dying in pain would fulfill some mission. Dunno, seems very twisted to me, and that would indicate agencyless existence (in this world's framework atleast).

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

Good news! Thr biosphere collapse thread gave the reptilians a fatal overdose!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

endocriminologist posted:

Good news! Thr biosphere collapse thread gave the reptilians a fatal overdose!

you have to figure that loosh is lousy at this point
the tenderest loosh comes from crushed hope or shattered love, not the constant drip feed of dread

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

Meditating so my loosh is cut w fentanyl

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Going to spite the tormentors by being happy

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Glah posted:

But were it true, it wouldn't necessarily mean a loss of agency anymore that people in open prisons are without agency.

We'd still be free to do actions and choices as they affect other beings on the planet. The machine elves or whatever would just feed on the consequences of those actions. Nothing changes from materialist perspective about morality and free will, it'd be just that these entities would look down upon us like we look upon Lord of the Flies or something like that.

Contrasting this to ideas about our spirits or whatnot choosing this existence to fullfill some mission or something similar, prison planet idea has more agency for souls. Because if suffering was premeditated to bring about some goal instead of rising from actions of free agents within limited framework, then it would mean that suffering really serves some purpose and would be a....... good thing? And that doesn't really mesh up with my personal moral outlook. Like some kid starving, being abused and eventually dying in pain would fulfill some mission. Dunno, seems very twisted to me, and that would indicate agencyless existence (in this world's framework atleast).

it is interesting. and the concept of giving consent, via some sort of affimation i would say falls under agency. invite the vamp in, sign the handsome mans contract etc

not asking you Glah specificially but a prison planet implies that somewhere along the line somehow our entire species earned this sentence, giving consent to it via some crime and ive seen people unironically say 'well yeah that was eve in the garden'

i think ultimately i dislike the simplicity of it, the twin grossness of everything existing just to hurt and any pleasure you do find, or worse, create for others, is only gonna make it worse later. not an outlook that will do anyone any good really

Sleekly has issued a correction as of 13:44 on Dec 7, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sleekly posted:

it is interesting. and the concept of giving consent, via some sort of affimation i would say falls under agency. invite the vamp in, sign the handsome mans contract etc

not asking you Glah specificially but a prison planet implies that somewhere along the line somehow our entire species earned this sentence, giving consent to it via some crime and ive seen people unironically say 'well yeah that was eve in the garden'

i think ultimately i dislike the simplicity of it, the twin grossness of everything existing just to hurt and any pleasure you do find, or worse, create for others, is only gonna make it worse later. not an outlook that will do anyone any good really

Yeah the fruits of such a belief system are going to be always-already absolutely poisoned

Loosh Theory/Prison Planet stuff just breeds despair and paranoia. Even if it were somehow all 100% provably true it still wouldn't be worth believing in

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i would just like to encourage any and all lurkers with any kind of post in their minds to :justpost:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Sleekly posted:

i would just like to encourage any and all lurkers with any kind of post in their minds to :justpost:

i post one (1) low effort post every 10 or so pages but i gotta say if ur not down with NDE posts then ur probably down for NDT posts and thats terrible

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

preview of the next report to get blown off:

https://twitter.com/matthew_pines/status/1600480572656214016?s=20&t=ua8EJJzam8vbPXVHXA9enw

https://twitter.com/matthew_pines/status/1600480575969787908?s=20&t=ua8EJJzam8vbPXVHXA9enw

"tell us everything, including the psyops"

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Glah posted:

going back to your NDE-like experience, i was reading about the negative-type NDE experiences PMJ referred to. you may find it interesting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6173534/
authors are two of the major researchers in the subject, nancy bush and bruce greyson

anyway if what you experienced actually was related to these it may give you some context

also i am fascinated by the driveby threadshitters to whom the mere existence of a conversation entertaining a cosmology outside of dead materialism is an affront to them. no different from the dudes rolling in to let us know there's no physical evidence of uaps. like, holy poo poo! I can't believe none of us considered that possibility!! thank you mr. hardnosed rationalist

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

meteorite has some new kinds of stuff in it

https://twitter.com/SpaceRockDoc/status/1600165351706464257

https://www.ualberta.ca/institute-for-space-science-exploration-and-technology/media-library/symposium2022-videos/herd.mp4

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ratios and Tendency:

i have a question and an associated thought experiment. assume the NDE experience is entirely nonphysical so there can be no possible physical evidence of its occurrence or reality. the only thing we have is the subjective experience of the individuals and their report. can you conceive of any outcomes in this setup which would satisfyingly convince you the experience isn't generated by the brain? would there be a magic number of reports which all agree with one another with perfect fidelity that would convince you? how about you yourself having this exact experience? would you trust your own intuition that the experience was real?

if you answer no, then why? how can you draw conclusions about the physicality of the world around you? how can you trust in any perception you've ever had?

i'm not picking on you and this isn't related to my previous post complaining about pennant. i legitimately would value your input here. btw i didn't and wouldn't call you dumb, but i do get the impression your previous posts were driven by an ideological presupposition. essentially the "scientism" parapsychologists and the like are always railing against

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

How cool it must be to be able to be like "new mineral just dropped, check it out"

also the dot speaks