Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

No Mods No Masters posted:

Obi wan was probably the single worst thing I saw this year though, so I would vote for that for the TV equivalent of a razzie
Obi-Wan has so much stuff in it that a talented comedian would come up with as a cruel joke about how lovely Disney Star Wars is. Couldn't believe some of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lobok posted:

Ok well... what about him!
That's a Wookie.
Sure, right, but he's got my height.

I absolutely love that the ISB shown in Andor and the dangerous, competent (if blinkered and, of course, completely evil) bureaucrats that work in it are all doing so ultimately in service to two wet messy bitches who live for drama. :allears:

Edit: Santa please I've been a very good little boy, when can I have Armando Iannucci's Death of Palpatine?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't know if the show should get awards other than production design. Yeah it was great, especially for star wars, but even as someone who doesn't watch much TV it seems there was really steep competition this year

Personally I think it was the best show of the year, even with BCS's last season and Severance.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerkface posted:

Andor and his upbringing/sister, if they come back up in S2, are not going to be some flavor of mystery revalation, but probably have some thematic resonance with where Andor is on his journey at the moment. I'd brace yourselves for that, like Cassian finding his sister in another rebel cell, or already dead, or in jail, or something. And near certain it won't be someone we've already seen or any existing IP character or whatever.

After rewatching “The Axe Forgets…” I am now about 90% sure that Kleya is Cassian’s sister. She “manages up” with Luthen in almost the same way (and for the same reason) that Cassian does with the multiple leaders he manages. She’s ultra-competent, ruthless, and extremely observant.

Given all the other parallelism set up in that episode, I will be extremely surprised if they don’t end up being related. Though it’s certainly possible it’s a coincidence and we’ve not seen her yet.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

why would cassians sister order his execution

see this kind of thinking is just so antithetical to what Andor is doing and doesnt make sense even in universe as last he knew his sister was potentially in a brothel where as kleya helps luthen at the center of the galactic core with his spy shop

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Jerkface posted:

see this kind of thinking is just so antithetical to what Andor is doing and doesnt make sense even in universe as last he knew his sister was potentially in a brothel where as kleya helps luthen at the center of the galactic core with his spy shop

She doesn't know, he doesn't know, Luthen doesn't know.

There are two main women characters we don't know poo poo about their past which are kinda mysterious.

If I'm betting on a pre-existing character it's probably Dedra as the foreshadowing and other character hints(easily could be red herrings or unrelated) is more upfront.

But either aren't particularly shot down via any story inconsistency.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Narsham posted:

After rewatching “The Axe Forgets…” I am now about 90% sure that Kleya is Cassian’s sister. She “manages up” with Luthen in almost the same way (and for the same reason) that Cassian does with the multiple leaders he manages. She’s ultra-competent, ruthless, and extremely observant.

Given all the other parallelism set up in that episode, I will be extremely surprised if they don’t end up being related. Though it’s certainly possible it’s a coincidence and we’ve not seen her yet.

She probably would've mentioned being from Kenari before Luthen went to meet Andor I'd imagine.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Luthen and by extension Kleya knows all about Andor! Thats one of the things they establish in their meeting, and Dedra is trying to kill his rear end the entire time and knows hes from kenari!

They arent his sister, stop, bad thread!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Not everything has to be some fateful coincidence. Remember when people were speculating about who "Uncle Harlo" really is? I get that Star Wars has traditionally tried to tie everything back to the Skywalker extended family, but Tony Gilroy seems very much to want to not do that sort of thing

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

The sister will ultimately be Jyn Erso. Not really, like they're not related, but it's in her that he finally finds the female counterpart that he's been missing his entire life and is able to die whole. There's not going.to be a living sibling reunion.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Alternatively even if it doesn't happen, it's fun.

If you get mad when your pet theory doesn't happen then sure it's a problem, but who cares about some dumb fan theories. Can be a fun way to kill time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe they could go with the Episode 8 "They were no one" statement and actually stick to it with Cassian's sister. Not everyone has to be connected in Star Wars and not everyone has to feature if they're mentioned in a story.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Jerusalem posted:

I absolutely love that the ISB shown in Andor and the dangerous, competent (if blinkered and, of course, completely evil) bureaucrats that work in it are all doing so ultimately in service to two wet messy bitches who live for drama. :allears:

And they know it!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I hate this Kleya theory Andor is a brown person and they cast brown people to portray the Kenari kids

Like come on man

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

1st AD posted:

I hate this Kleya theory Andor is a brown person and they cast brown people to portray the Kenari kids

Like come on man

Same with Dedra, like oh his sister just got a platinum dye job huh

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dexo posted:

Alternatively even if it doesn't happen, it's fun.

If you get mad when your pet theory doesn't happen then sure it's a problem, but who cares about some dumb fan theories. Can be a fun way to kill time.

Yeah it's a larf. Plus the show did "the things Cassian was making in prison were Death Star widgets" so a sister plot twist isn't necessarily out of bounds

Jerkface posted:

Same with Dedra, like oh his sister just got a platinum dye job huh

And blue contact lenses to fit in with the imperials, yeah. That said, the main thing ruling her out is that she knows Cassian's history and that he's the only other person in the universe who's from Kenari

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 7, 2022

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Santa please I've been a very good little boy, when can I have Armando Iannucci's Death of Palpatine?

Ok, this is the Star Wars comedy we need.

No Ssi-Ruk please though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Jerkface posted:

Luthen and by extension Kleya knows all about Andor! Thats one of the things they establish in their meeting, and Dedra is trying to kill his rear end the entire time and knows hes from kenari!

Seriously. Some of these folks are out of their loving minds, they’ve been terminally poisoned by mystery box bullshit.

The main thing I’ve taken from this page is that we do need that Iannucci style ‘Death of Palpatine’ Jerusalme mooted.

INT.IMPERIAL PALACE.NIGHT

Mas:..gently caress.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Did they just drop the subplot of Cassian looking for his missing sister? I can't remember if it was ever mentioned after the first episode.

It came up one other time. The show is so good that I haven’t really complained but the weakest aspects were in the first few episodes and caused me to be skeptical of the show for multiple episodes. The missing sister being the first introduced motivation for Andor and then just dropping off felt like something that should have been addressed in a revision. The repeated snippets of flashbacks of young Andor were also frustrating because it felt like they split one scene into three episodes so many of the snippets had no impact around the first time.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Forced labour being used to build parts that are contributing to the impossibly huge, labour intensive superweapon being built concurrently, which as viewers we also know is inextricably tied into the main character's fate, is not a plot twist

One of the main characters being the long lost sister of Andor would be the antithesis to everything that makes this show good and is the same poisoned thinking that has been plaguing Star Wars for years and gave us Rey loving Palpatine.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
If Andor's sister makes an appearance in the show, it's going to be because the ISB/Dedra tracks her down for leverage, that really isn't hard to figure out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

His sister is Mara Jade.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
If it wasn't for Gilroy (apparently? Haven't seen/read the interview) being evasive about this sister issue, I would be perfectly happy with the explanation that the whole thing was just the reason to have Andor out asking questions so he can run afoul of the corporate cops and thus kick off everything that comes after. I suppose you could use the theft of the Starpath unit for that, but it seems like pretty clearly part of the show's messaging that Andor wasn't even doing anything wrong when he essentially gets mugged by the cops. He was just in a bar/brothel and the pretty hostess gave him more attention than the cops. Also, 'looking for a lost family member' is a pretty dependable motivation if you want your audience to start sympathizing with a character. Also also, Andor is supposed to be *really good* at stealing things, and that's undermined if the first thing we see is him getting caught or nearly caught lifting something. So as a writer you need something else for him to be in the middle of when he gets in trouble.

I don't think this is some central mystery to the show, I'm pretty sure it was just a device to have Andor where the writers needed him to be doing the things they needed him to be doing to get the show started.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Hannibal Rex posted:

If Andor's sister makes an appearance in the show, it's going to be because the ISB/Dedra tracks her down for leverage, that really isn't hard to figure out.

Especially since she is going to 100% double down in the wake of the disaster that was the Rix Road Funeral Massarce.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Andor isn't really a mystery story. It's a cascade effect where a small act of defiance spirals out into full blown rebellion. The show is about watching that rebellion unfold and how it changes the lives of the characters caught up in it. Despite the show having generally low and personal stakes it's very "big picture" in the themes it covers.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

His sister is Mara Jade.

I was honestly thinking this. Cassian will never find his sister in the show, but there will be a little aside in a Coruscant plot that will introduce her.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
His sister absolutely could be used as a plot device in the next season in plenty of ways that would be organic to the show - the obvious one being the ISB looking for any way to turn the screw on him, or maybe Andor uses his greater influence and connections once established in the nascent Rebellion to try to track her down again after getting a reminder of his past.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It would actually make sense for the ISB to do this.

Before, the only way they knew to find Andor was to watch his mother's house. Now she's dead and he's run off.

Literally the only lead left they have to find him is that they know he was looking for his sister in that brothel way back in the very first episode.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

doing my part to spread the good word - i think i got my dad hooked on the show

Glimpse posted:

In one of the interviews Gilroy says something to that effect. Not necessarily the gloves themselves, but that it could be the same place their parents hung their gloves, and their grandparents etc.
that's awesome, thanks. this fukken show

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

There's a new Bad Batch S2 trailer out but so far it's only been posted to Disney+ itself (in the Extras section of the show page) so uh... well, it looks nice?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerkface posted:

“He is from Kenari” equals “he is a specifc person from Kenari”?

We have no idea how anyone besides Cassian escaped from Kenari. If his sister got off-planet, we know neither when nor how. Whether Cassian knows that only his sister escaped the planet, or only his sister survived, or whether he had some other reason to think the woman he was looking for wasn’t just from Kenari but was his sister, we cannot tell.

His name was not Andor on Kenari. (It wasn’t even Cassian, although it was similar.)

Are you really arguing that there is no possibility, in Star Wars, that two people could be brother and sister without knowing?

Kenari is going to come up again in S2, I would say 100% chance of that. I’d argue that Cassian’s hatred of the Empire stems more from whatever happened on Kenari than what happened to him subsequently. Any other Kenari survivor is likely to despise the Empire. That doesn’t guarantee his sister is Kleya, but I doubt his sister can be just a prostitute who changed planets, at least as much as Cassian himself is just a working man on Ferrix.

I’m basing my argument on the observable evidence that Kleya and Cassian occupy parallel functions within the story, that they are narratively similar, though Kleya is all-in on the Rebellion and Cassian has to get to that point. Surely the best counterargument would be that Kleya’s position mesns she couldn’t spend months undercover as a prostitute? Though I’d point out in return that the show gives us reasons to think Kleya has been in the field and not just stuck as the front-person for Luthen’s store.

In the end, I’m making a fun but meaningless prediction about something that might come out in S2. The strongest argument against it is that Cassian finding out Kleya is his sister doesn’t seem like it accomplishes anything narratively: having the Empire catch her or having Cassian’s mission conflict with helping his sister would make for better S2 stories. What happened to Kenari should reasonably come up again, and if it’s important to the Rebellion, having to find Andor’s sister makes better drama than having Kleya BE his sister. I will be happier if we don’t get any mystery box beyond the Kenari disaster. All I posted is that on rewatch, it feels like the structure of the story is pointing at Kleya as being more than she appears, and that her function and skills seem very similar to Cassian’s, which is why I strongly suspect she fits into the “sister” mystery box. Their ages are about right, too. I will be happy if it turns out in S2 that there’s no mystery box here at all. But when the show starts with the first question asked being “who and where is Cassian’s sister?” it sure feels like that ought to be more important than S1 makes it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Cross-Section posted:

There's a new Bad Batch S2 trailer out but so far it's only been posted to Disney+ itself (in the Extras section of the show page) so uh... well, it looks nice?

Is there a start date

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

Okay, it's on Youtube now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R15uYFpeBG0

elf help book posted:

Is there a start date

January 4th.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Cool, thanks

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

LOL I was pretty meh until the Gungi reveal. That's a grade A Glup Shitto.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Andor was excellent. My only criticism is that I felt the heist episode and jail break were higher climaxes than the finale. It was good, but I thought a step down from those two which were really good.

Is there a thread for the Willow show? Can we poo poo about it in here as it's a George Lucas product? It's absolutely terrible. I was expecting it to be the same quality as Obi-Wan which is bad, but it's so, so much worse.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

th3t00t posted:

Is there a thread for the Willow show? Can we poo poo about it in here as it's a George Lucas product? It's absolutely terrible. I was expecting it to be the same quality as Obi-Wan which is bad, but it's so, so much worse.

I watched the first episode and the dialogue writing felt incredibly anachronistic in a twee Josh Wheedonesque way.

Yes I know it's fantasy so it's not technically anachronism and the original didn't go all in on King James Rennfaire English bit it's still very very grating.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I watched the first episode and the dialogue writing felt incredibly anachronistic in a twee Josh Wheedonesque way.

Yes I know it's fantasy so it's not technically anachronism and the original didn't go all in on King James Rennfaire English bit it's still very very grating.

Watching the Willow show with subtitles made me discover that it took over 30 years for me to realize that Val Kilmer's character in the movie was named "Madmartigan" and not "Mad Martigan" like "that crazy motherfucker Martigan."

So there's that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's charming fun.

GimpInBlack posted:

Watching the Willow show with subtitles made me discover that it took over 30 years for me to realize that Val Kilmer's character in the movie was named "Madmartigan" and not "Mad Martigan" like "that crazy motherfucker Martigan."

So there's that.
Yeah, I just realized that having watched the movie in preparation for the show the other night. Had no idea. Saw the drat film in theaters in '88 and have been laboring under that falsehood ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

1st AD posted:

Like come on man

Jerkface posted:

Hard agree, especially since this is Star Wars, obviously his sister will turn out to be Bix.