Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Sherbert Hoover posted:

idk maybe growing up with devout christians makes it funny to me but not others

"Man publicly does a very bad job of pretending to be something" is an inherently funny concept, its like 1/4 of George Costanzas bits on Seinfeld. That other poster is just being weirdly aggro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

One More Fat Nerd posted:

"Man publicly does a very bad job of pretending to be something" is an inherently funny concept, its like 1/4 of George Costanzas bits on Seinfeld. That other poster is just being weirdly aggro.

ok yeah i thought so lol

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Seinfeld isn't funny so there you go.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
In the 90's there was a persistent rumor among the Evangelicals that a Secret Service agent witnessed Hillary Clinton leaving church, getting in a limo, and throwing a Bible disdainfully, as if to signal she was done pretending to be a Christian for the day.

And that Secret Service agent's name was Albert Einstein.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Animal-Mother posted:

In the 90's there was a persistent rumor among the Evangelicals that a Secret Service agent witnessed Hillary Clinton leaving church, getting in a limo, and throwing a Bible disdainfully, as if to signal she was done pretending to be a Christian for the day.

apparently this was a persistent type of rumor among everyone, with some documented instances https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ating-for-ages/

quote:

That ‘Hillary Clinton threw a lamp/book/Bible’ story has been circulating for ages

Image without a caption
By Emily Heil
April 9, 2015 at 3:32 p.m. EDT

According to Washington lore, by the time this photo was taken at a White House dinner in 1993, first lady Hillary Clinton had already thrown a lamp at her husband. Or was it a Bible? (Ira Schwarz/Reuters)

Among the most salacious bits in journalist Kate Andersen Brower’s new book on the palace intrigue at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. are accounts of three times that first lady Hillary Clinton allegedly launched a projectile, in part piqued by her husband’s affair with Monica Lewinsky. In two instances, according to The Residence: Inside the Private World of The White House, the first lady supposedly hurled a book, and in another, the lofted object was “rumored” among the staff to be a lamp.

Emily Heil

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Animal-Mother posted:

there was a big rumor that Louis XVI trampled a hat with a revolutionary cockade (like below) at a party

and it played a big part of turning the public against him and his eventual execution

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Sherbert Hoover posted:

there was a big rumor that Louis XVI trampled a hat with a revolutionary cockade (like below) at a party

and it played a big part of turning the public against him and his eventual execution

what are you implying …. :aaa:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Animal-Mother posted:

It's a Bible

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'm old and remember when a sitting congressman - Dan Burton - hung a pig carcass and watermelon up in his backyard, shot it with a gun, video taped it himself on a giant shoulder-mounted camcorder from 1993, and brought the tape to congress to show how the splatter patterns from the watermelon proved that Hillary Clinton killed Vince Foster.

This one sentence summarizing the investigation pretty much sums it up:

quote:

Due to problems with the quality of Brown's research and testimony, the investigation was closed.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Gorka's stupid ART WAR plate

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Orange Devil posted:

Who gives a poo poo though? Pretending to be a christian is the US' largest religious affiliation.

Oh gently caress am I in the political poo poo I care about thread?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i always think about this post of an evangelical turning himself into pretzels for the trump man

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Trump is just a Bible literalist

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i got banned for accidentally posting in the toxx thread for this fine gentleman. anyone else remember him?
https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1599876718176735232?s=20&t=7wXLn4JnXE1zJCrvNFHJIQ

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I remember him from the Pepsi Jet documentary.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Sherbert Hoover posted:

just shows how much Gargamel was pushing his luck with the Smurfs

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Trump taking credit for the world going a calendar year without a plane crash

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Seinfeld isn't funny so there you go.

Mods?? Mods?!

Asynchronous Event
Dec 9, 2021

Yes, make the mods face the truth.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Mother of CHRIST

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That trans dude and the tweet about the dudes Rock club

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

by gaslighting it with placebos till it dies

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Channel_memorandum

the songs clear channel stopped playing after 9/11

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Biden's Summit of the Americas, which went totally well; thanks for asking

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Cancelled for saying Iraq war seems bad

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I've never in my life seen anyone canceled so suddenly and thoroughly as they were

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I've never in my life seen anyone canceled so suddenly and thoroughly as they were

It was one of my formative :thunk: moments for sure, up there with the swiftboat poo poo for Kerry.

John Kerry looks like Snowmiser from the rankin bass stuff.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Overall it's a good playlist

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Kitfox88 posted:

It was one of my formative :thunk: moments for sure, up there with the swiftboat poo poo for Kerry.

John Kerry looks like Snowmiser from the rankin bass stuff.

My big moment was when the right collectively excused horrific torture

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
"I'm John Kerry and I'm reporting for duty" is even worse than you remember, assuredly

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The other weird thing that happened after Columbine is that they started censoring the names of guns and the words "shooting," "gun," and "shot" on the radio.

It was strange to hear songs on the radio where the line "I shot his bitch rear end with my TEK-9" come out as "I [BEEP} his bitch rear end with my [BEEP]."

Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus only censored one thing in the entire song, and it was "he brings a gun to school." Dick, rear end, bitch, drat, and talking about masturbation were all uncensored.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

"I'm John Kerry and I'm reporting for duty" is even worse than you remember, assuredly

Michael McDonald's John Kerry impression on MadTV was a cornerstone in my adolescent understanding that dems sucked

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Futanari Damacy posted:

you would think after 2004 dems would know that playing by the GOP rules is a stupid idea, given that the entire message was "let the war be handled by a decorated war veteran instead of a posh national guard pussy" and they just got uno reversed carded

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Saw some discourse recently about the Jussie Smollett debacle and loling at people who even now are saying "well we still don't know what happened!!" :mad: Like what possible aspect of his guilt are you still holding in doubt at this point lol

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Futanari Damacy posted:

Saw some discourse recently about the Jussie Smollett debacle and loling at people who even now are saying "well we still don't know what happened!!" :mad: Like what possible aspect of his guilt are you still holding in doubt at this point lol

proper spin to make it about their team

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Futanari Damacy posted:

There's a bunch of people who are arguing that everything the police say is a lie and they would go to any lengths to take down a successful black man, so they have framed him, paid off witnesses, and planted every piece of evidence against him.

I don't think there is a really large group that seriously believes Smollett was framed and his friends were all paid operatives.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

Futanari Damacy posted:

I read a book once (I know, I know! Really!) About the Bush presidency (Dead Certain by Robert Draper).

Rove's alleged reaction to seeing this on TV was "we are going to bury this guy."

And welp,

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Sherbert Hoover posted:

My big moment was when the right collectively excused horrific torture

Christopher Hitchens and Mancow got waterboarded and immediately surrendered and admitted it was torture. Sean Hannity has yet to make good on his offer to do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't think there is a really large group that seriously believes Smollett was framed and his friends were all paid operatives.

I'm reminded of that Rolling Stone series of articles about the extremely lurid frat house sexual assault that set off a lot of folks bullshit detectors, and ended up being totally fabricated.

The final defense of the folks claiming it had been real was that it was "false, but accurate".