Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

It's now changed from a standard Meet and Greet thing to being a Q&A after the show. You get to take a selfie with John standing onstage and you get one of these bad boys that I now have to find a frame for:

Can't blame him for being an old man taking extra precaution especially now that he's making a new movie. Gotta protect John Waters at all costs.

Hes a national treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

It's now changed from a standard Meet and Greet thing to being a Q&A after the show. You get to take a selfie with John standing onstage and you get one of these bad boys that I now have to find a frame for:

Can't blame him for being an old man taking extra precaution especially now that he's making a new movie. Gotta protect John Waters at all costs.

I totally get it. I still wear a mask in public and I only just started going to things in live venues back in April and even then I've gone to enough shows to count on one hand. I use to go to standup comedy shows on a weekly or near weekly basis. I've collected a lot of autographs over the years and I have a little album of Instax pictures of me with comedians.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

That poster owns.

Here is my tree decorating mix. Some xmas tunes in there to get you in the mood.
https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-40-ft-pete-moss/

sporklift fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 5, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Once again somewhat unrelated but I just dumpstered a decent looking Bell'O brand stereo cabinet and offhand it looks really good. Somebody appears to have done a poor job of assembling it and just threw it out when those goofy modern fasteners started all coming loose at once. All shelves intact, glass door intact, looking pretty good. It's about 48" high, all the shelves have vents cut into them, pretty snazzy. Cannot believe the prices I'm seeing on it:

ED: I think I might just forego the lame-ish fasteners and just drill some pilot holes from below, and use real wood screws. That would remove all problems except the hinges, one of which is bent all to hell, but it's actually a common cabinet hinge, I think. The rear panels all attach with small magnets. I may stow those if I use this because I think the cute looking vents cut into this don't really look like enough perhaps unless you also use a fan or something. But just leaving the back open should suffice.

ED2: I dunno, that would still let dust in. Anyway, think I'm gonna use it. You can easily put rack rails in this too.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 6, 2022

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Bright Eyes represses arrived today!

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Noob questions here: I recently set up my home theater with a Denon AV receiver, 5.1 system and polk speakers. I'm thinking about dipping my toe into vinyl with a decent turn table (is $100 enough?) Just something that will get the job done and overall quality for a noob. I'd assume I just hook up the stereo RCA connectors to the receiver?Second. I want to start collecting vinyl and it looks like I can find vinyls of my favorite albums on amazon for like $20 a piece. Are these mass produced garbage that defeats the purpose of an analogue signal? Should I look for older pressings? Is there a better site to check out? Not looking for anything obscure, just stuff I love, Prince Purple Rain, Megadeth Rust in Peace, SoundGarden Superunknown, Jimi Hendrix are you experiences, stuff like that.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Noob questions here: I recently set up my home theater with a Denon AV receiver, 5.1 system and polk speakers. I'm thinking about dipping my toe into vinyl with a decent turn table (is $100 enough?) Just something that will get the job done and overall quality for a noob. I'd assume I just hook up the stereo RCA connectors to the receiver?Second. I want to start collecting vinyl and it looks like I can find vinyls of my favorite albums on amazon for like $20 a piece. Are these mass produced garbage that defeats the purpose of an analogue signal? Should I look for older pressings? Is there a better site to check out? Not looking for anything obscure, just stuff I love, Prince Purple Rain, Megadeth Rust in Peace, SoundGarden Superunknown, Jimi Hendrix are you experiences, stuff like that.

Records, not vinyls. That said if your receiver has a phono input you should be good to go. Most record players will not work without a special preamp and most modern receivers don’t have one. If yours does not pick a preamp up on Amazon.

Regarding records, for stuff that sold millions of copies I suggest looking for older pressings and reissues. Modern pressings usually sound bad, and are over priced. I also think that 180g and heavier records tend to have more pressing problems then standard records.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

SwimNurd posted:

Records, not vinyls. That said if your receiver has a phono input you should be good to go. Most record players will not work without a special preamp and most modern receivers don’t have one. If yours does not pick a preamp up on Amazon.

Regarding records, for stuff that sold millions of copies I suggest looking for older pressings and reissues. Modern pressings usually sound bad, and are over priced. I also think that 180g and heavier records tend to have more pressing problems then standard records.

thanks. I have this receiver: https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-S5...d0-5ec63b24bcb5

And another stupid question: Can I buy a turntable with a builtin preamp?

drhankmccoyphd fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 7, 2022

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Yeah lots have em.

Amazon packs records like poo poo (sometimes they don't pack them at all!) so just be careful ordering from them.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

drhankmccoyphd posted:

thanks. I have this receiver: https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-S5...d0-5ec63b24bcb5

And another stupid question: Can I buy a turntable with a builtin preamp?
Your receiver does not have a phono preamp.

You can look for turntables with “line out” options. My in experience with these (mostly djing lovely bars) is they don’t sound as great as a dedicated box.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Hot Diggity! posted:

Yeah lots have em.

Amazon packs records like poo poo (sometimes they don't pack them at all!) so just be careful ordering from them.

Ok, sounds like my first stop should be my local hole in the wall record shop. Is there a recommended turntable w/ preamp on amazon or similarly evil online retailer?

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Fair enough on the dedicated preamp. So sounds like I should push my budget to $150-200 for both the table and preamp?

drhankmccoyphd fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 7, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Fair enough on the dedicated preamp. So sounds like I should push my budget to $150-200 for both the table and preamp?

Think more like $300-$400. Unless you’re looking for used gear and even then. Or if you’re looking for kinda junkier stuff.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Have a look at discogs.com OP.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I think to get proper recommendations, you need to take a step back and decide what you're looking for. If you're looking into vinyl because you want to experience the Superior Analog Sound, then you're going to need to invest - a dedicated pre-amp, a nice turntable with (more importantly) a great cartridge. Probably $400+ for both. I don't have any recommendations for equipment if you're going that route.

If you're truly just looking to dip your toe in and want "something to get the job done" like you said, then you can certainly get a reasonable setup for cheaper. Modern pressings of your favorite albums will sound fine, even if they aren't from a pure analog source. A built-in preamp will be fine as well. You absolutely won't be able to do it for $100 though. The LP-60 is usually cited as the bare minimum "not garbage" turntable, but even that is $150 now, and honestly isn't really worth that much for how cheap it feels. Normally the go-to is the LP120 at $250, but that seems to have also received a covid bump to $350 now. :sigh:

I think something like this Fluance RT81for $250 would be decent, though I've never used one myself. It uses an AT95E cartridge, which is a very popular "not garbage" cart.
https://www.amazon.com/Fluance-Elliptical-Counterweight-Anti-Skating-RT81/dp/B01F2EXIFM

edit: I will say, it's certainly way more fun picking records from a record store than it is buying $20 albums from Amazon.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 7, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Echoing what other people have said, I picked up an original pressing of Purple Rain from Discogs that sounds great for a relatively low price.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

spinst posted:

Bright Eyes represses arrived today!

I also got the same ones, my Lifted came like a week ago and Wide Awake came yesterday. Very excited.

I also got Jeff Rosenstock's SKA DREAM as a xmas gift for my sister, that came yesterday.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

wa27 posted:

I think to get proper recommendations, you need to take a step back and decide what you're looking for. If you're looking into vinyl because you want to experience the Superior Analog Sound, then you're going to need to invest - a dedicated pre-amp, a nice turntable with (more importantly) a great cartridge. Probably $400+ for both. I don't have any recommendations for equipment if you're going that route.

If you're truly just looking to dip your toe in and want "something to get the job done" like you said, then you can certainly get a reasonable setup for cheaper. Modern pressings of your favorite albums will sound fine, even if they aren't from a pure analog source. A built-in preamp will be fine as well. You absolutely won't be able to do it for $100 though. The LP-60 is usually cited as the bare minimum "not garbage" turntable, but even that is $150 now, and honestly isn't really worth that much for how cheap it feels. Normally the go-to is the LP120 at $250, but that seems to have also received a covid bump to $350 now. :sigh:

I think something like this Fluance RT81for $250 would be decent, though I've never used one myself. It uses an AT95E cartridge, which is a very popular "not garbage" cart.
https://www.amazon.com/Fluance-Elliptical-Counterweight-Anti-Skating-RT81/dp/B01F2EXIFM

edit: I will say, it's certainly way more fun picking records from a record store than it is buying $20 albums from Amazon.

Got it thanks. I like that Fluance one. I think they make some of my guitar pickups so assuming its the same brand I trust them. $250 I think is a reasonable cost of entry based on what I'm trying to accomplish. I guess really what I am after is a nice warm analog sound that's better than the highest quality stream I can get from Spotify. Not exactly a high bar to beat, but whatever. I want to listen to some of my favorite albums and hear them in all their glory and hear all the little intricacies and nuances that's probably lost in modern digital streaming. Maybe that's completely unreasonable I have no idea. But yes, I think it will be way more fun to poke around thrift stores and record shops for my favs. I'm basically doing this on a lark to have some fun.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

drhankmccoyphd posted:

that's better than the highest quality stream I can get from Spotify. Not exactly a high bar to beat,
Really? If you want to get into records that’s great, but if this is the reason you might be disappointed. Especially with an entry level cartridge. Get better speakers if you just want stuff to sound better.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I'm basically doing this on a lark to have some fun.

Quick, get out while you still can!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Got it thanks. I like that Fluance one. I think they make some of my guitar pickups so assuming its the same brand I trust them. $250 I think is a reasonable cost of entry based on what I'm trying to accomplish. I guess really what I am after is a nice warm analog sound that's better than the highest quality stream I can get from Spotify. Not exactly a high bar to beat, but whatever. I want to listen to some of my favorite albums and hear them in all their glory and hear all the little intricacies and nuances that's probably lost in modern digital streaming. Maybe that's completely unreasonable I have no idea. But yes, I think it will be way more fun to poke around thrift stores and record shops for my favs. I'm basically doing this on a lark to have some fun.

Like most hobbies. If you buy in at $300, you'll get *at least* $150 back out of it on the resale market. If you buy in at $150, anyone wanting in has already bought it - there's never a decent resale market for low end poo poo. You're taking a $150 gamble no matter what, but having a better experience with it. Buy the Fluance and some nerd will be looking to upgrade if you're not into it - probably even on SA Mart tbh...and keeping poo poo out of a landfill to boot!

midge fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 7, 2022

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

midge posted:

Like most hobbies. If you buy in at $300, you'll get *at least* $150 back out of it on the resale market. If you buy in at $150, anyone wanting in has already bought it - there's never a decent resale market for low end poo poo. You're taking a $150 gamble no matter what, but having a better experience with it. Buy the Fluance and some nerd will be looking to upgrade if you're not into it - probably even on SA Mart tbh...and keeping poo poo out of a landfill to boot!

That's totally reasonable. Yeah, I'm totally fine flushing $250-300 down the toilet if I'm not totally blown away by the quality. And I'll have some dumb nerd poo poo to talk about at all the parties I don't attend.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

That's totally reasonable. Yeah, I'm totally fine flushing $250-300 down the toilet if I'm not totally blown away by the quality. And I'll have some dumb nerd poo poo to talk about at all the parties I don't attend.

Not sure on levels of sarcasm here tbh - but I can tell you the quality gap between a $150 table and a $300 unit is significant - the cartridge alone in the Fluance efforts are very reasonable. If you're concerned you maybe unhappy at $300 you're gonna loving hate the $150 record defiler. Maybe you can meet some party friends at the record store!

Unconventional, hidden option : Go to an audio store and listen to some units. Like in the 90s.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I want to listen to some of my favorite albums and hear them in all their glory and hear all the little intricacies and nuances that's probably lost in modern digital streaming. Maybe that's completely unreasonable I have no idea. But yes, I think it will be way more fun to poke around thrift stores and record shops for my favs. I'm basically doing this on a lark to have some fun.

Gotta talk about this too. There’s nothing magical sounding about vinyl lps. If you’re buying them at thrift stores or buying cheap used copies of records they sound like crap. If your cartridge is out of alignment they sound like crap. If you’re buying Re-releases of 90s records that were recorded completely digitally and probably never got an original vinyl run (like the soundgarden you want), the lp will sound just like the CD, except with less dynamic range. And if you get it dirty it will sound like crap. A record collection weighs a ton and smells bad (or at least mine does). It takes up a ton of space. It’s inconvenient.

But records are fun and make you feel like you’re doing your hobby instead of just playing music. Records are collectible if you like having a collection. There’s lots of gear to tinker with if you like tinkering with gear. Those are all good things.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Aw hell yeah:

And the first announced US show just happens to be Portland, too! :kingsley:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BigFactory posted:

Gotta talk about this too. There’s nothing magical sounding about vinyl lps. If you’re buying them at thrift stores or buying cheap used copies of records they sound like crap. If your cartridge is out of alignment they sound like crap. If you’re buying Re-releases of 90s records that were recorded completely digitally and probably never got an original vinyl run (like the soundgarden you want), the lp will sound just like the CD, except with less dynamic range. And if you get it dirty it will sound like crap. A record collection weighs a ton and smells bad (or at least mine does). It takes up a ton of space. It’s inconvenient.

But records are fun and make you feel like you’re doing your hobby instead of just playing music. Records are collectible if you like having a collection. There’s lots of gear to tinker with if you like tinkering with gear. Those are all good things.

All that being said, you can get some truly magnificent sound out of records if everything aligns. It doesn't even have to be some fancypants MoFi version or whatever (though those tend to sound great) - just a well recorded, mastered and pressed album can sound fantastic.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

All that being said, you can get some truly magnificent sound out of records if everything aligns. It doesn't even have to be some fancypants MoFi version or whatever (though those tend to sound great) - just a well recorded, mastered and pressed album can sound fantastic.

Sure, but it also usually sounds fantastic on CD or high quality streaming too unless it’s like a bad 80s master or bad 2000s remaster. And records can be mastered badly just as easily as a CD.

So one of my favorite albums is Teatro by Willie Nelson. It’s a Daniel Lanois album and it sounds super amazing and dynamic and all that great stuff. It’s a perfectly mastered CD and I still go to it when I’m trying to mess around with a stereo.

But I got the RSD first vinyl pressing a few years back and always thought it sounded hollow and weak sauce. I did A/B tests with the cd and it never held up.

In the past year or so I upgraded my TT and especially upgraded my cartridge and the LP started to open up. But I had pretty good gear before, it wasn’t junk. It sounds good now but the CD still sounds better

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

Aw hell yeah:

And the first announced US show just happens to be Portland, too! :kingsley:

Just saw the news about that and was going to come here to post about it. Any idea why the show is going to be seated?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

marjorie posted:

Any idea why the show is going to be seated?
I think it's supposed to give the show an air of seriousness over a standing show, maybe. Makes it feel more like a theatrical performance rather than a regular concert where you're shitfaced and screaming. Though there's always one dude who can't handle his poo poo at a Residents show that won't stop trying to interact with a band that has no interest in engaging with their audience on any level.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'd say "I'm old and thus definitely prefer a seated concert", but I also ALWAYS would have preferred that, even when I was like, a teenager, ha.

Same with staying out late for shows...don't get me wrong, I'm happy to stay up until 1 AM, but I want to STAY UP in the comfort of my own home after a nice shower, not be out running around late. I get antsy if I'm still out and about at like, 9 PM...AKA the time most shows start. :ohdear:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Gotta talk about this too. There’s nothing magical sounding about vinyl lps. If you’re buying them at thrift stores or buying cheap used copies of records they sound like crap. If your cartridge is out of alignment they sound like crap. If you’re buying Re-releases of 90s records that were recorded completely digitally and probably never got an original vinyl run (like the soundgarden you want), the lp will sound just like the CD, except with less dynamic range.
Agreed - it's hard to imagine someone throwing together their first system and having a "this is the QUALITY I've been missing with digital!" epiphany. If your ears really are that discerning (and maybe they are if you consider 320kbps spotify a low bar), then you'll definitely need to drop a lot more money on something with a really nice cartridge.

But even if you really want to chase that audiophile dragon, I think it still makes sense to start out with a ~$250 turntable and work up from there. You can always upgrade the cartridge on a mid-level turntable to a more expensive one, and you can always move that cart to a nicer turntable down the road as well.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Read After Burning posted:

I'd say "I'm old and thus definitely prefer a seated concert", but I also ALWAYS would have preferred that, even when I was like, a teenager, ha.

Same with staying out late for shows...don't get me wrong, I'm happy to stay up until 1 AM, but I want to STAY UP in the comfort of my own home after a nice shower, not be out running around late. I get antsy if I'm still out and about at like, 9 PM...AKA the time most shows start. :ohdear:

I am the opposite of all of that I think. GA shows rule and if I’m at home after 9:30pm I’m probably asleep

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Barry posted:

one of my favourite albums from this year (education & recreation by surprise chef) is one of those albums where it didn't blow me away after streaming it but I bought the vinyl version after seeing them live (very excellent) and the record sounds significantly better than the streaming version. I found out through listening to a radio interview after the fact that they record to tape so it's analogue all the way through

this is the sort of research and time investment you need to make if you want records that sound better than their streamed version,, op

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

wa27 posted:

Agreed - it's hard to imagine someone throwing together their first system and having a "this is the QUALITY I've been missing with digital!" epiphany. If your ears really are that discerning (and maybe they are if you consider 320kbps spotify a low bar), then you'll definitely need to drop a lot more money on something with a really nice cartridge.

But even if you really want to chase that audiophile dragon, I think it still makes sense to start out with a ~$250 turntable and work up from there. You can always upgrade the cartridge on a mid-level turntable to a more expensive one, and you can always move that cart to a nicer turntable down the road as well.

To be fair the highest quality sound on Spotify did sound pretty drat good through my system. I just didn’t know if that was garbage compared something else. That said I’m ok trying out that fluance table with a decent vinyl and see where that takes me.

And I’m also ok with tracking down some analogue mastered vinyls like the above.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have the Fluance RT-82, and used this preamp for awhile https://smile.amazon.com/ART-DJPREII-Phono-Preamplifier/dp/B000AJR482. Now I have some denon receiver with a phono preamp, so I just use that.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was gonna say I was getting too old for late shows but it was actually because my old workday started at 4:30 in the morning. Now that it's 9 AM, give me all the 9 PM shows you got.

Got Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith tomorrow, in fact. :hellyeah:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I think my biggest vinyl epiphany came when I found a method that successfully clean the poo poo out of vinyl and sound 40-80% less crackly.

2nd was figuring out I had my alignment wrong the whole time. 3rd was learning tube-rolling is a thing.

Played Van Halen's 0U812 over the weekend. The vinyl's the fullest that album is ever gonna sound (pretty bright though).

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I only buy from amazon if it is some crazy deal. And it usually bites me in the rear end by being warped as gently caress. But you should definitely check out your local record shops and thrift stores. Also check out Bandcamp and the label websites of stuff you dig.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I think my biggest vinyl epiphany came when I found a method that successfully clean the poo poo out of vinyl and sound 40-80% less crackly.

Well don't leave me hangin', tell me about your cleaning method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm really surprised at all the Amazon shipping issues people have run into. I've ordered probably 20+ albums from there over the years, and each has come in the typical cardboard record mailer that everyone else uses. Never had a problem with a warped record. Maybe some distribution centers are better than others, or I've just been really lucky.