Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Anno posted:

Probably not a huge surprise here but good news for sure

https://twitter.com/tanyaxshort/status/1600492945345597441

This makes me so happy. I'm very glad for the Bay 12 guys, this is deeply deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Some stuff that was extremely muscle memory having different hotkeys, or in the weirdest case imaginable for DF, no hotkeys at all, keeps throwing me off. The most clunky thing I've experienced is placing tombs because you have to place the coffins one by one, and then use the new room system - which doesn't seem to have shortcuts for the room types - to pain each one as a room, then approve the room plan, and most of this has to be done with mouse clicks instead of BN BN BN, the finger dance of the death.

I don't know how long it'll be before I stop reflexively hitting d whenever I want to dig something new. Probably never, because I rememberd I can rebind it to that!

Game is good.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I accidentally dug too deep in the tutorial. It turns out shift + mousewheel lets you change elevation in increments of 10

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I'd like a tag, though I don't really have any good stories... I do have an ambition, though!

Over the past few releases, I've not played so much as I've spent hours re-genning worlds and then using Legends Viewer to examine the number of unicorns in a given world, after I've edited the tags a little to make them tameable and removing the [multiple_litter_rare] tag.

I do this because my dream is to get a fort going on a map with lots of unicorn herds, and make an unreasonable amount of animal traps to capture them. And sure, war unicorns are a tempting thought and may happen, but my real goal is to build statues made of unicorn soap, and encrust all my royal furniture with unicorn bones, and sell Lavish Meals made of unicorn to the elves.

With the steam release, my quest has resumed.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'd love a tag as well.

Do dwarves still have an issue with climbing trees and not being able to get down? Because I found someone dead after weeks recently in my fort, he was on top of a tree.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arrrthritis posted:

I accidentally dug too deep in the tutorial. It turns out shift + mousewheel lets you change elevation in increments of 10

Wish you could do that when building, gave up on laying down floors when I saw the four hundred clicks I'd have to do.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Cerebulon posted:

Some stuff that was extremely muscle memory having different hotkeys, or in the weirdest case imaginable for DF, no hotkeys at all, keeps throwing me off. The most clunky thing I've experienced is placing tombs because you have to place the coffins one by one, and then use the new room system - which doesn't seem to have shortcuts for the room types - to pain each one as a room, then approve the room plan, and most of this has to be done with mouse clicks instead of BN BN BN, the finger dance of the death.

I don't know how long it'll be before I stop reflexively hitting d whenever I want to dig something new. Probably never, because I rememberd I can rebind it to that!

Game is good.

The "keep building after placement" checkbox and the "use closest" option when building mean you can just place a coffin per click until you run out. The "multi" option when designating tombs means each room with a door and a coffin gets set as its own tomb, you can just drag a big rectangle over your whole catacomb.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Steam guides are looking good:

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Oh, if there's a tag going for sharing stories:
A wereiguana bit my military commander so I stripped him of official titles and had him quarantined for years. Then a massive goblin army showed up and demanded negotiations... With the quarantined commander. So fine, I'll let him out on the eve of the full moon and give them exactly what they want. He'll probably beef it in seconds with that many goblins surrounding him, but it's the thought that counts.
I unbrick his cell, he meets with the goblin commander, I lock the gates behind him, the full moon is literally moments away... The goblins politely leave without bloodshed. And I have a highly trained wereiguana outside my fort instead.

It didn't end up being a huge issue but it was wonderfully absurd.

PublicOpinion posted:

The "keep building after placement" checkbox and the "use closest" option when building mean you can just place a coffin per click until you run out. The "multi" option when designating tombs means each room with a door and a coffin gets set as its own tomb, you can just drag a big rectangle over your whole catacomb.

The multi option doesn't play well with my typical burial chamber design which is more of a crypt with many coffins in the same room. Individual rooms are for notables and nobles! And designating a room with many coffins as one burial chamber just means it gets assigned to one person and only one coffin gets used.

Cerebulon fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 7, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

PublicOpinion posted:

Does every tomb require it's own door? I have a door to the hall of the dead itself but the coffins are each in shallow alcoves off the hallway and the ghosts seem happy with that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cerebulon posted:

The multi option doesn't play well with my typical burial chamber design which is more of a crypt with many coffins in the same room. Individual rooms are for notables and nobles! And designating a room with many coffins as one burial chamber just means it gets assigned to one person and only one coffin gets used.

Yeah I wanted to use the multi designation and ended up with this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah do big tombs or shared bedrooms no longer work?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The doors are only necessary for Multi to work. I used to not put doors on tombs but started just to save myself time on the room designations.

E: Shared bedrooms are designated as a Dormitory

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Nessus posted:

Yeah do big tombs or shared bedrooms no longer work?

Shared bedrooms work, they get flagged as dormitories.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

From what I can tell a Tomb is owned by a single dead dwarf, and if there are multiple coffins in it, that dwarf "owns" them all

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

what is he getting out of this

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The idea of a goblin outcast zombie trying desperately to hold onto their goblinity by traveling the world doing standup and minstrel tricks for others but feeling no joy from it is profoundly sad and a cool as poo poo story hook.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

canepazzo posted:

Tag me please!

As payment, a fix to something that has been bugging me: for the 1440p UI overflow issues (where one column is way past whatever screen you have up), set max width on your settings to 2560

Ah thank you! This fixed the notification icons being too centered.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I'm something of a perennial dabbler in this game, never really got ambitious enough to generate any super entertaining stories that I feel are :siren:tag-worthy:siren:, but even though my forts have so far been pretty piddly and just sorta ambled along until I got bored, I do have a few good Legends Mode stories.

Most recently did a 500-year Pocket world, and saw that it had three historical ages. First was the usual Age of Dragons and Mountain Titans, the third age was a Golden Age. In between those was an age named after a specific Mountain Titan, a grotesque fleshy mayfly thing that was, for a period of about a century, the only Great Power in the world (kinda ironic that a mayfly outlived the rest of its titan kin, but whatever). It wasn't sitting idle in some remote corner of the world either, it had like 60 notable kills, since every decade or two it would go on a rampage, killing Dwarf and Human and Elf and Goblin, and every time it did it left behind survivors that worshipped the thing as a god. Pretty sure it had more followers than several actual deities.

Its reign ended after it laid siege to a Dwarf Fortress, one of the first ever built, that had long been beset by invasions and yetis and whatever the gently caress a Moon Monster is, before being faced with the Last Mountain Titan. Its Age ended when it was struck down by a nameless... lizard devil. Now THIS confused me, like a Hidden Fun Stuff Devil? It didn't have a name or anything, the fort didn't record striking adamantine or being invaded by demons or somesuch, there's just a random nameless devil hanging out.

Now, there IS a lizard devil recorded in history, the only one of its kind, one of those deals where it threw up a slade spire and became leader of a Goblin civ after a god of murder (with the help of a human necromancer servant) bound it to the earth. But there's no record of IT killing a Titan. There's no record of it killing literally anything. It seemed pretty civic-minded, appointing administrators to its Goblin civ before... it was arrested and imprisoned by a Human civ, somehow. It spent a few years in prison before it got religion, became an acolyte of a different evil god than the one who bound it, escaped prison, and for the last three centuries has been living peacefully in some human hamlet preaching the word of the Confusing Denomination.

By the way, the Necromancer who bound the lizard devil to the world under the command of a Goddess of Murder? He was some vain warlord who wanted to live forever, found the secrets of immortality, and spent the next 180 years just... living quietly, embezzling funds and buying a nice house in the country. Never successfully killed anyone even after a century of getting in fights with trolls and poo poo, never raised any undead, never took any apprentices. The world's only and most peaceful Necromancer met his end after getting in a fight with a Goblin who happened to be the world's first Were-llama. Him being immortal didn't help much when she struck him down and ate him, as she had done to dozens and dozens before and after.

edited to make it clear that despite my self-effacement, yes I would actually like a gangtag please

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 7, 2022

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Here's my dorfTale in exchange for a gangtag, please. It's short but it made me laugh.

After a bit of initial digging, stockpiling, crafting, etc., we got low on food. Having not found any soil on which to farm, and with a dearth of harvestable plants outside, the decision to butcher an animal was made. There was just one problem: I couldn't find any of my drat animals.

I had, earlier, created a pasture zone and assigned the grazers to it. But the pasture was empty. No yak, no goat, no good.
The meeting hall held only cats, dogs, and some fowl. Edible, but stringy and hardly worth the effort.

Alright, 'u' to the rescue. The grazers are very much alive and present somewhere - let's locate them.

They're all up a goddamned tree. All of them. In a single tree. Hanging out on the branches and trunk, wandering around and (assumedly) munching on the delicious spread of leaves. Motherfuckers are having the time of their lives while we're down here wasting away to nothing, drunk on empty stomachs and getting hangry. We've tried to lead them to the pasture, but our stubby statures prevent us from reaching them.

"Sod that", my treechopper thinks. "I'll make the ground come to them".

Swing, thud. Swing, thud. Swing, thud, crash.

Urist McChoppins was crushed by a yak, and died of his wounds.
A yak has died of its wounds.
A goat has a broken leg.

And many other gruesome gravity-given wounds. The idiot (drunk beyond reason?) dwarf figured "I'll just stand underneath while this here beast-laden tree falls over, it'll be fine, we're gonna butcher them anyways." and was promptly crushed by the weight of his hubris. And the yak.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Asterite34 posted:

... met his end after getting in a fight with a Goblin who happened to be the world's first Were-llama.

:discourse:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/tanyaxshort/status/1600498821422878720?s=20&t=5-sTvOaQeIX3c6-cMo-yiA

Just imagining Werner Herzog having mastered Dwarf Fortress, and pumping out batshit-insane stories of mothers wearing battle-babies.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i forgot how entirely insane the pricing is on all trade goods

a barrel of rattlesnake venom, and bee venom, are both worth 20 bucazoids despite how utterly insane and labor intensive such a procurement would be. still cant actually use the poison for anything of course but sure

meanwhile a barrel of assorted mushroom/strawberry/nut dinners are worth more than a suit of mail at over 4600

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

nielsm posted:

Yeah I wanted to use the multi designation and ended up with this.

I believe I saw something on an irc channel about Tarn working on a mausoleum zone or something along those lines, that can contain multiple tombs and auto-assign them if you use the multi-zone thing that makes dormitories out of bedrooms.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

madmatt112 posted:

https://twitter.com/tanyaxshort/status/1600498821422878720?s=20&t=5-sTvOaQeIX3c6-cMo-yiA

Just imagining Werner Herzog having mastered Dwarf Fortress, and pumping out batshit-insane stories of mothers wearing battle-babies.

I think he'd go for it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i forgot how entirely insane the pricing is on all trade goods

a barrel of rattlesnake venom, and bee venom, are both worth 20 bucazoids despite how utterly insane and labor intensive such a procurement would be. still cant actually use the poison for anything of course but sure

meanwhile a barrel of assorted mushroom/strawberry/nut dinners are worth more than a suit of mail at over 4600
labor pricing of production. Rattlesnake gets no pay

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

re: tombs/crypt chat. This is the one place where I wouldn't use the multi/auto designation if you want a bunch of coffins in one room. Just make an individual tomb "zone" on top of each coffin that encompasses just that coffin.

I learned this because I had a dwarf go berserk and start some kind of huge brawl in my tavern that left like 8 people dead. :downs:

As a sidenote, I did have trouble burying dwarves that died though. Their corpses were hauled into an outdoors stockpile, maybe that was why? I had to memorialize slabs that all said they went missing but that's not even true! Oh well.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

sebmojo posted:

gang tags all assigned, so pipe up if you want one, and have posted a story (there have been some great ones, keep them coming!)

I posted my story earlier on this page and asked for a tag therein - I don't know if that's enough for you to see the request. So I'm quoting this post as well.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tiler Kiwi posted:

how do I get my dwarf moods and stocks of resources to display at the top

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

A quick story from a fort of yore. My embark was having trouble keeping everyone well hydrated and I was running up against not having anywhere to drink for my fortress, but I also happened to have breached and re-walled the caverns and what do you know, there was water below. It was very early and way to dangerous to be having my thirst deranged dwarves running deep into the Earth to drink without any military to speak of. Luckily my main dining hall was directly above a cavern water source by about 30z levels. I dug out the floor and installed a well. This is, interestingly, where I discovered that in DF you can actually see the rope and bucket being lowered through Z-levels as dwarves use the well. It had 30+ levels to travel and you could see the rope and everything as it lowered into the caves.

This is also where I discovered flying monsters can enter your fortress through the very same well path, directly into my fort's dining hall, and where all of my barely alive, very thirsty dwarves, were waiting on the world's slowest well.

RIP boys. Loved that well detail where you see the line and bucket though. I thought that was amazing right up until I lost that fort

sebmojo posted:

gang tags all assigned, so pipe up if you want one, and have posted a story (there have been some great ones, keep them coming!)

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

I spent awhile trying to think back to years of Dorfing and I only have one short story worth retelling for the gangtag. I embarked once next to a river, unpaused, and within seconds there was blood and body parts and a dead dwarf. I'd never seen an embark fail before though I'd heard of them from the thread. It took me a minute to figure out what was happening and why my dwarves had scattered. A crocodile was 5 tiles away in the river next to the wagon. When I unpaused the croc immediately got out of the river and mauled my miner to death. I decided to try to kill the thing so I drafted the other 6 and told them to kill the croc. But because no one had weapons and the pick was on the floor somewhere they all resorted to kicking, punching, and biting the croc. The croc badly mangled another dwarf but then one of mine got lucky and kicked it in the head, knocking the croc out.

The remaining dwarves spent the next several days kicking and punching the unconscious croc to death. They couldn't really do damage to the thing I'm guessing because crocs hide is tough. So I just watched as they beat this croc to exhaustion, slept, and continued to do it again for days. They succeeded in killing it but at that point the other dwarf had bled out and I didn't want to do a 5-dwarf start so I retired and began again.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

how do I get my dwarf moods and stocks of resources to display at the top

It seems to have to do with how the UI dynamically scales with resolution. Go into Settings and fiddle around in the Video tab to adjust the UI size manually.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

"He heard the Peppers of Channeling was the place to enjoy oneself." Guess not... :smith:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Asterite34 posted:

It seems to have to do with how the UI dynamically scales with resolution. Go into Settings and fiddle around in the Video tab to adjust the UI size manually.

Worked like a charm bud than-OH NO. Guess I should build all of the stuff I need for farming now

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My fortress was invaded by a huge boar at the 30
minute mark. It killed every dwarf except for one and then fled, severely wounded.

5 stars game is good.

I also don’t think about ceilings so I think I keep accidentally creating weird open air rooms by tunneling into the side of the mountain. How do I make a roof and is it really necessary? Will rain and bugs and birds and stuff piss off my dorfs?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

space uncle posted:

minute mark. It killed every dwarf except for one and then fled, severely wounded.

5 stars game is good.

I also don’t think about ceilings so I think I keep accidentally creating weird open air rooms by tunneling into the side of the mountain. How do I make a roof and is it really necessary? Will rain and bugs and birds and stuff piss off my dorfs?

Dwarves don't like being rained on, and will come to find themselves acclimated to being underground and then hate being above ground, so yeah you'll want to roof it over. Go up a z-level and construct floors to make the roof.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

space uncle posted:

5 stars game is good.

If mining into the side of a mountain/cliff-face leaves you with a ceiling-less space, you have a few options:

1.) Dig a ramp or staircase DOWN one (or more) level near the entry point (inside or outside the hill), and then mine sideways into the mountain as normal, OR
2.) After you've created your ceiling-less space, build a floor one z-level above your dug area. This creates, in effect, a ceiling over your space., OR
3.) Find a steeper hill to dig into, the hell are you digging in to that you're shaving your ceiling off with a simple sideways dig??

Can you share a screenshot of an example of this happening? I don't understand how this is happening to you, and I suspect you're misinterpreting the visuals and you don't actually have open air above what you're digging.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Is it a dorfy enough dorf tale for a gangtag if I'm already considering abandoning my fortress due to bad design?

Nah I'll play it out and surely have some nonsense happen in my first goblin attack that's worth sharing here.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Decon posted:

Is it a dorfy enough dorf tale for a gangtag if I'm already considering abandoning my fortress due to bad design?

Nah I'll play it out and surely have some nonsense happen in my first goblin attack that's worth sharing here.

Tell us more about this "bad design" you speak about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

For people having trouble with mass assigning tombs in open-plan crypts, put the tombs in their respective alcoves and temporarily place doors. Mass designate the entire area with the multi option. Once all the tombs are assigned as individual areas, remove the doors? Just a thought, no clue if it would work.

Can someone please tell me how to select more than 1 item at a time. I'm embarking on my adventure and I hate clicking 70 times for some seed. Surely there's a way to go up in increments of 5 / 10