Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Goddamn Theresmore is slow. I'm sure it'll get better but presiging is such a mental hurdle right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ineptitude posted:

FAPI
Dodecadragons
Idle Research (on mobile only?)

Idle research is on steam

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

WTFBEES posted:

Goddamn Theresmore is slow. I'm sure it'll get better but presiging is such a mental hurdle right now.

It really is. I wish it had a building queue.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Bann posted:

Stop trying to make backing up my file to save happen, theremore. It's not gonna happen.

Seeing people bugging devs to restore their lost saves in the Discord for literally every incremental, I Get It.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ineptitude posted:

FAPI
Dodecadragons
Idle Research (on mobile only?)

ty

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of FAPI, I'm reaching the later stages of Ascension 5, and reincarnation levels are noticeably slowing down. Any tips for what to invest in, other than putting residue into reincarnation points?
The game seems to want me to focus more on worms + larvae at this point, but I find it doesn't scale close to as good as a lot of the other mechanics.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I'm in the same boat at the end of A4. Definitely need advice for A5.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of FAPI, I'm reaching the later stages of Ascension 5, and reincarnation levels are noticeably slowing down. Any tips for what to invest in, other than putting residue into reincarnation points?
The game seems to want me to focus more on worms + larvae at this point, but I find it doesn't scale close to as good as a lot of the other mechanics.

That's just what happens in later ascensions. New content is now in testing, so it's kinda gated for now behind long grinds, and that last 1000 levels will take you as long as the ones before that. That said, get reincarnation pets, item rating pets, pets to combo for base residue and residue pet. A5 is good time to get that increase residue bonus from milk shop too if you haven't gotten it yet. Good gear helps, I think at A5 you can farm a set from 4-7 medium with an overnight run, but probably not from 4-9 before you get to ascend.

Anyhoo, here's a link to a spread sheet where to farm pets and how they combo. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OcEzToWYrYmGCS82b6KClgf2dEgEMvmK9L2gn_G13FA/edit#gid=0

I like to use Trevor+Vidar combo for one base residue with Aphrodite with its bonus to all residue while going offline, switching 4th pet into what I feel like needs more levels. Then obviously switch to reincarnation pets when it's time to reincarnate.

For what it's worth, it took me almost 22 days to get through 5th ascension, and now I'm 24 into 6th with 900 more levels to go, so another week at least.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I'm playing the Shark game as I like having a pretty game going, it's fun. I have no idea what determines what amount of essence I get, but the sense of progression is good.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sayara posted:

That's just what happens in later ascensions. New content is now in testing, so it's kinda gated for now behind long grinds, and that last 1000 levels will take you as long as the ones before that. That said, get reincarnation pets, item rating pets, pets to combo for base residue and residue pet. A5 is good time to get that increase residue bonus from milk shop too if you haven't gotten it yet. Good gear helps, I think at A5 you can farm a set from 4-7 medium with an overnight run, but probably not from 4-9 before you get to ascend.

Anyhoo, here's a link to a spread sheet where to farm pets and how they combo. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OcEzToWYrYmGCS82b6KClgf2dEgEMvmK9L2gn_G13FA/edit#gid=0

I like to use Trevor+Vidar combo for one base residue with Aphrodite with its bonus to all residue while going offline, switching 4th pet into what I feel like needs more levels. Then obviously switch to reincarnation pets when it's time to reincarnate.

For what it's worth, it took me almost 22 days to get through 5th ascension, and now I'm 24 into 6th with 900 more levels to go, so another week at least.

Thanks, yeah I'm long done with the residue bonus upgrade, though I stopped taking the larva bonus and respawn time upgrades from the residue shop when they started requiring 100k+.
I actually popped an IR potion and farmed a full set of yellow gear from 4-9 on normal. The residue bonus you get from it seemed like it could be huge.

Been having real bad luck with pets though, haven't gotten either of the reincarnation pets, though I'm at around 10m/11m for 4-5 now, so I might as well finish that one. Cheers!

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
another Progress Knight Quest question: is Great Knight supposed to be stuck at level 0 with 999.9Uv exp needed to level indefinitely? is there a milestone later that turboboosts the exp gain or smth, or is it just a wall? I just got to the 10mil milestone, for reference

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
The very next milestone puts you past that bump, so just do a long-ish run for a high enough Faint Hope multiplier to earn another 10M essence, maybe doing some of the new challenges if you haven't already

Sillyman fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 8, 2022

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I stopped playing at that point, because you're not waiting to progress levels anymore. You're waiting 3-4 hours so the "more Essence over time" milestone gives you enough Essence to hit the next milestone which lets you instantly complete a few more Great jobs, and then wait again.
Each one of those milestones gives like a 1e15 XP boost which shows just how pointless anything else is. I stopped after 3 of them in a row.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Been having real bad luck with pets though, haven't gotten either of the reincarnation pets, though I'm at around 10m/11m for 4-5 now, so I might as well finish that one. Cheers!

Yeah, they can be rough, I've gotten only three out of eleven pets before pity timer so far. It's pretty amazing how big of a difference they can make though, so they're worth it in the long run.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Still at it with Theresmore, and noticed something annoying: Resource drains appear to apply before multipliers.
So in practice say, a carpenter supposed to cost 3 wood/tick ends up costing 4~5 instead.

(E.G. 6+50% 9, (6-2)+50% 6.)

So resource drains end up hurting more than they say on the tin.
E2: seems its a known bug at least, so can hope to see it get patched at some point.
---
E: unrelated, but don't overlook the resource cap prestige upgrades. They really do make a big difference.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 8, 2022

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think I might end up falling off Theresmore because I don't feel like interacting with the military elements, at all. Paying gold and food to buy increasing number of scouts so that 15 of them are able to find a cave full of bugbears, paying more gold and food to roll the dice on actually locating the cave, buying 15 spies so that you can actually find out what type of troop bugbears are and how many are there, paying yet more gold and food to purchase troops, attempting to attack the bugbears only to find out you have negative food and gold because the troops also require upkeep, then attacking the bugbears and losing half your troops, win or lose, because there is no insight to how the result is calculated.

It would be a lot more tolerable if there was an upgrade to automate parts of it, or if troops just didn't consume upkeep so you could at least build a few units every so often.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

I stopped playing at that point, because you're not waiting to progress levels anymore. You're waiting 3-4 hours so the "more Essence over time" milestone gives you enough Essence to hit the next milestone which lets you instantly complete a few more Great jobs, and then wait again.
Each one of those milestones gives like a 1e15 XP boost which shows just how pointless anything else is. I stopped after 3 of them in a row.

Well, I'm here to tell you there are 10 of those in a row.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Cicadalek posted:

I think I might end up falling off Theresmore because I don't feel like interacting with the military elements, at all. Paying gold and food to buy increasing number of scouts so that 15 of them are able to find a cave full of bugbears, paying more gold and food to roll the dice on actually locating the cave, buying 15 spies so that you can actually find out what type of troop bugbears are and how many are there, paying yet more gold and food to purchase troops, attempting to attack the bugbears only to find out you have negative food and gold because the troops also require upkeep, then attacking the bugbears and losing half your troops, win or lose, because there is no insight to how the result is calculated.

It would be a lot more tolerable if there was an upgrade to automate parts of it, or if troops just didn't consume upkeep so you could at least build a few units every so often.

Agree on a lot of this, to the point where I went on the discord and just use the military calculator to (almost) guarantee the result. This makes spying even more useless, which is impressive since I have literally never had a successful spying mission. The attack system is also really counter-intuitive (unless I am badly misunderstanding things). If an enemy has 100 attack and 100 defense, than if you have 101 attack and 101 defense you win, if either of your numbers are smaller you lose. It doesn't matter if you have 1,000 attack but only 50 defense, you lose. This also means that having excess attack doesn't do anything, and having excess defense just shifts possible casualties towards your front rows. Oh, and before I forget: the enemy numbers are multiplied by a random factor between 1 and 1.3 (plus a settings page difficulty factor) so the same army could lose an engagement one time and win the next time. You might think the poorly explained Luck stat might help with this, but it apparently does absolutely nothing.

Also, if you have a single troop that loses the rock-paper-scissors system, some portion of your opponents will do double damage. This means bringing a single light cavalry or archer may turn a clean win into a pyrrhic victory that wipes out everyone but your commander, or even into a straight loss. At the end of the day, I wouldn't still be playing without the calculator spreadsheet.

Game desperately needs a building queue, too. To not be completely negative, I appreciate the lack of seasons/weather from Evolve, I always really hated that time dependent system. Constantly having my production change was really micro-y in an unpleasant way.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, I had enjoyed my time with Theresmore but I hit the end of content after two prestiges (and couldn't get the Coin resource at all even though I did meet the 150k gold research) and a few weeks of dickering around in it. What's left is to try for whatever missing achievements are left and many of those are limited by resource caps. You *need* to start stacking capacity bonuses from prestige to meet some of the later ones.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sage Grimm posted:

Yeah, I had enjoyed my time with Theresmore but I hit the end of content after two prestiges (and couldn't get the Coin resource at all even though I did meet the 150k gold research) and a few weeks of dickering around in it. What's left is to try for whatever missing achievements are left and many of those are limited by resource caps. You *need* to start stacking capacity bonuses from prestige to meet some of the later ones.

Yeah, that's a huge bummer. Assuming 200k is the requirement, you can almost reach it before maxing out on every storage.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
the requirement is 200k, yes. you get some very large bumps.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Sheesh I haven't even seen prestigeing yet. I'm still only on the 2nd age/tier and have been slowly chipping away at 3-4 danger dungeons with around 100ish strong army and it's been annoying. If it doesn't get better and it's just that fiddly, then I may set the game aside. The power gains I'm getting from building have slowed down as I'm hitting my caps everywhere.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009

Xtanstic posted:

Sheesh I haven't even seen prestigeing yet. I'm still only on the 2nd age/tier and have been slowly chipping away at 3-4 danger dungeons with around 100ish strong army and it's been annoying. If it doesn't get better and it's just that fiddly, then I may set the game aside. The power gains I'm getting from building have slowed down as I'm hitting my caps everywhere.

The first prestige is maybe 3-4 hours in if you know what to do. If you can do 3-4 danger dungeons you have the production to get there easily.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Xtanstic posted:

I've done two prestiges and beaten every fight in game now, and it doesn't get better.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

10:19 am: Your scout met a demoness and gave up his freedom.

Hell, same buddy.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Zteuer posted:

The first prestige is maybe 3-4 hours in if you know what to do. If you can do 3-4 danger dungeons you have the production to get there easily.

Lmao I'm like a week in and haven't seen it so I must have not triggered the correct option.

Sayara posted:

I've done two prestiges and beaten every fight in game now, and it doesn't get better.

Alright then I'm gonna put the game down once I get bored. Thanks for the info.

e: oh the thing I've been saving for was the prestige trigger, and I did it right after I ran my army into the ground and clicked on it. How opaque. Goddamn building up an army and waiting is annoying.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

Lmao I'm like a week in and haven't seen it so I must have not triggered the correct option.

Alright then I'm gonna put the game down once I get bored. Thanks for the info.

e: oh the thing I've been saving for was the prestige trigger, and I did it right after I ran my army into the ground and clicked on it. How opaque. Goddamn building up an army and waiting is annoying.

Really really wish I could just set what number of each troop I want my army to consist of and automatically have them build as resources allow. And you definitely don't want to be a spearman in somebody's army in Theresmore. Poor bastards.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
you really want to not run any tanks at all for the vast majority of opponents, it'll crank their attack sky high

it's a truly dumb system

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Nervous posted:

10:19 am: Your scout met a demoness and gave up his freedom.

Hell, same buddy.

Maybe the best part of Theresmore is how the scout deaths foreshadow the various monster camps you can find.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

tanks do alright earlier on, sponging hits for more expensive troops.
But once the food cap* + Copper/Iron/Steel income is good enough switching to pure shock troops handles most problems.
emphasis on most, but by the time exceptions come up ought to have cavalry/ranged troops for hire to deal with it

*real cap on troops attacking is food storage. more food cap, more+better units can be fielded at once, instead of benchwarming.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think they definitely need to remove some costs associated with army management. Right now, if your army got wiped and you're starting from fresh, you have to:

-Spend gold/food/etc on producing troops
-Suffer the maintenance costs of those troops while they're sitting around
-spend more food and gold sending them to attack something

The last part is particularly annoying, because usually the way you build armies is to just build as many units as possible, and now your food and gold stores are empty and will refill even slower due to army maintenance. So you go to click "Attack" and whoops, looks like you have to wait 5 minutes.

Just remove the resource cost of attacking entirely imo. Attacking already has a cost in terms of troop losses that you have to rebuild from.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Arcanuse posted:

tanks do alright earlier on, sponging hits for more expensive troops.
But once the food cap* + Copper/Iron/Steel income is good enough switching to pure shock troops handles most problems.
emphasis on most, but by the time exceptions come up ought to have cavalry/ranged troops for hire to deal with it

*real cap on troops attacking is food storage. more food cap, more+better units can be fielded at once, instead of benchwarming.

I'm just hitting this point. Up until now I've been able to Zap Brannigan my way through the fights with cheap rear end archers and spearman. The food cap is brutal though for sending out a big enough army to take on these later game fights.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Might want to swap out some spearman for monks, if you have the faith/mana for em.
Not much else to spend faith+mana on at points; and as Monks only cost 10Food to field compared to Spearmans 30G/25F, you can field a lot of monks for your food.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Arcanuse posted:

Might want to swap out some spearman for monks, if you have the faith/mana for em.
Not much else to spend faith+mana on at points; and as Monks only cost 10Food to field compared to Spearmans 30G/25F, you can field a lot of monks for your food.

My faith and mana are for the gods, not mere monks you heathen :colbert:

I'm resource dumping those into the Mausoleum of the Gods to see what that gets me. 40% done!

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
you can also prestige by losing in any of the fights that attack the town

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

dipple posted:

you can also prestige by losing in any of the fights that attack the town

This is only for the fights that prompt a warning, right? Not when you're at war because you pissed off some barbarians and they keep stealing all my poo poo because I can't quite field a big enough army to finish enslaving them :v:, right?

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

Nervous posted:

This is only for the fights that prompt a warning, right? Not when you're at war because you pissed off some barbarians and they keep stealing all my poo poo because I can't quite field a big enough army to finish enslaving them :v:, right?
I've never been at war so I dunno but yeah I was talking about the prompt fights

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the cookie clicker website broken right now? It won't load for me.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Is there a wiki for theresmore? Kind of want to see what's ahead of me building wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

been putting a bunch of hours into kittens game, i love that it's simultaneously a cute clicker game about cats and also a shockingly deep micromanagement game. scratches the same sort of itch i get from playing dwarf fortress watching other people play dwarf fortress.