Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

cocaine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I can't wait for sq404 to maybe some day come out.

I'm looking forward to the many memes of John Travolta doing his turning-look around confused gif with the caption of "so where's star citizen?" because nobody cares or wants to play sq404 (much less play it twice :lol:), and they are buying space ships and spending money for star citizen.. not a dumb single player wing commander remake.

Nobody wants that game except like Chris and about 50 other people... and that's maybe a long shot.

Chris being out of touch with what his paying customers want is like the icing on the spit cake.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
It's even more funny because Chris is spending millions and millions of dollars and over the course of ten years and counting we have games coming out now that look like the Callisto Protocol, which pretty much looks like a real movie (I haven't played it, and saw it has technical issues though..).

Star citizen:

Callisto Protocol:

I'm sure there's better pictures but I just grabbed some most recent stuff according to google.

Enjoy competing with 10 years of advancements outside of CryEngine.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Scruffpuff posted:

Not sure this is an epiphany so much as a honey trap; note the following:

Eh, guy posted it on the refunds sub and is hoping to sell his fleet on the greymarket. I don't think he is trying to promote the game, he even calls it "game".
I know from my personal or friends' experiences that sometimes people become passionate about something that they retrospectively view as silly and not worth the investment, whether it's time or money. And sometimes games are designed to elicit such 'passions'/addictions. I am sure someone's job in CIG is just that.

taxxe:
:cocaine:

https://i.imgur.com/rZLEn0z.mp4

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Dwesa posted:

Eh, guy posted it on the refunds sub and is hoping to sell his fleet on the greymarket. I don't think he is trying to promote the game, he even calls it "game".
I know from my personal or friends' experiences that sometimes people become passionate about something that they retrospectively view as silly and not worth the investment, whether it's time or money. And sometimes games are designed to elicit such 'passions'/addictions. I am sure someone's job in CIG is just that.

taxxe:
:cocaine:

https://i.imgur.com/rZLEn0z.mp4

Yeah if he's trying to dump his ships it would explain the initial glowing praise - doesn't work too well to hint you have $3000 worth of something to offload and preface that with how it's completely worthless.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This trump card cat keeps waving around 'continual development!' looks real fine when put up against Elite Dangerous, a game that also happens to be in 'continual development' but actually released. It's not about vision, there's no results.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

The Titanic posted:

It's even more funny because Chris is spending millions and millions of dollars and over the course of ten years and counting we have games coming out now that look like the Callisto Protocol, which pretty much looks like a real movie (I haven't played it, and saw it has technical issues though..).

Star citizen:

Callisto Protocol:

I'm sure there's better pictures but I just grabbed some most recent stuff according to google.

Enjoy competing with 10 years of advancements outside of CryEngine.

Haha it's so obvious.

Star citizen is more than twelve times better, 2048x1152 versus a terrible 580x326 pixels!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Your daily :reddit: insanity aka Star Citizen, the game with transparent financials and infinite money that pushes the envelope until no game can compare.

And while CR and Sandi were supposed to bring something big to the Bar Citizen there has been no write-up yet, so have this picture.

https://twitter.com/SandiRoberts42/status/1599119550762864640?s=20&t=RXSJYSq7TNKvwEFPJ46aLg

Enhance!

:iiasb:

Vibes of nicholsons pic at the end of the shining.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I've been following this thread for a while but now it's just sad :saddowns:

Also, is the quote-cat one person or an amalgam of idiots?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
One person.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Boatswain posted:

I've been following this thread for a while but now it's just sad :saddowns:

Also, is the quote-cat one person or an amalgam of idiots?

one incredibly stupid and dedicated guy

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

One guy, but in the sense that the master from Fallout is one guy

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

one incredibly stupid and dedicated guy

Off Topic .....

.... Please Beets, can we have some Kayak for Christmas?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

Vibes of nicholsons pic at the end of the shining.

https://i.imgur.com/Q9yv8YH.gifv

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Kosumo posted:

Off Topic .....

.... Please Beets, can we have some Kayak for Christmas?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Toxic Mental posted:

I am a citizen of star

A great line to close off a thread page!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

:lol::lol:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

:lol:

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

reminded me of something i think about once every two or three months as i wake up in the middle of the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVhHNVguMWo

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thoatse posted:

The Smartening

Wonderful :allears:

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

Potato Salad posted:

One guy, but in the sense that the master from Fallout is one guy

Same attitude towards unbelievers too!

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Perfect in every way

The dread, the buildup and the payoff

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Some of us do try and talk about it!

There are reasons why this gets drowned out, why these types of threads often get locked, it is intentional and planned - which is why Cloud Imperium community team call it noise!

The team used to talk about these things with us but since the advent of the acrimonious group who take any discussion of any possible addition to the game experience either as 'FEATURE CREEP!' or 'BROKEN PROMISE LIES!' Cloud Imperium have stopped talking about anything beyond the near future. look at the Roadmap, the reason we have nothing for 3.19 isn't because they have no idea what might make it into that patch, it's because of the 'noisy distraction' reaction to the planned release candidate features some in the community whipped up.

The noise makers are NOT holding CI to account at all, they have no intention to do that - they simply want to diminish the backer enthusiasm to engage with the project because that is precisely what drives it's growth, this is why you hardly see youtubers talking about possible future features, they are too susceptible to viewer action it is not hard to grief streamers. Unfortunately too many people have been swimming in this pollution and they don't know the difference between encouraging the community to engage with CI and the talking points of the trolls and FUD spreaders anymore. Many very experienced members of the community with good insights and enthusiasm have simply given up with the constant battle with these trolls.

On to more positive things!

There are amazing things coming to this game despite those who poo poo any suggestion that it would even be finished. What isn't really appreciated is just how interconnected these features really are. They seem small and sometimes hard to understand why all the effort in isolation, you hear people ask 'Why are they doing that!' it's only when you put two and two together the penny drops. The big picture is so complex few can see it and many don't even want to see it.

Most other games have a population of NPC's that are basically the same set of 20 or 30 characters repeated. The way to make it look like there is more variety is to dress them differently, change the hair colour and eye colour, scale them up or down etc. you don't really notice unless it is a character you get up close and personal with - game designers rely on this. Traditionally creating huge population variation in the game involves massive amounts of developer time creating these characters, hence it is prohibitively expensive. There's a reason uniforms feature so much in games.

Cloud Imperium have a unique approach to this volume grunt work - we won't do it - we'll find a way to make large volumes more efficiently even if it means doing the R&D while we build the game. We'll delay putting out a 'grunt work' game to take the time to do it better because we know we are going to be doing this for many years to come. This is radical, there are no games of this size and scope that do R&D on a live project. This is why so many are critical of it.

The Gene Splicing tech (part of the DNA system) to turn a few dozen, or even a few hundred real scanned heads and bodies into many millions of unique looking NPC's is, in military jargon, a force multiplier. Because you have that done that work to make a new tool you get far more for each unit of work. If someone doesn't know this they would scoff at the idea of having millions of unique looking NPC's you can recognise individually in the game universe, no other game has ever needed it! they will say. If you then also tell them that there will be such a thing as facial asymmetry for all game characters (absolutely NOT in NPC's in other games that aren't hand made!) they will roll on the floor laughing.

It's like trying to explain colour to a blind man - you've never seen it before in another game, it's hard to grasp the impact it will have on your experience of this game universe...

....but remember I said things aren't really so clear in isolation. 'So what!' you say 'They all look different... after a while who cares!'

Now factor in full persistence for NPC's - all of them! "There are no background characters in Star Citizen" is what the team keep saying, and it might mean nothing to you until you fit the puzzle pieces together - they have a memory, not just a memory of what has happened to them since they were 'born' but of every interaction they have ever had with a player. They have a back story, yes every single one of them knows who they are and where they came from.

Have you ever played a game where the NPC's talk to you about what they did with another player last year?

The writing team have been creating thousands and thousands lines of dialogue for NPC's that are location and event specific. Think of other speech production AI 'response bots', imagine that type of natural speech from NPC's all that dialogue can produce. In order to create variety they turn voice captured artists in banks of text to speech API. If one artist does 10 characters and you vary that by changing the register (pitch of the voice) you again have a force multiplier. A few expensive paid actors can produce hundreds of different voices which now use the text from those lines of dialogue written by the lore team.

The more astute among you may realise there is one more thing you need, a talking NPC who has no facial expression or mouth movement that corresponds to the audio you are hearing is not very immersive.. so guess what they need.. It's on the Roadmap.
One more of the 'automate it for me in volume' tools that Cloud Imperium do so well. Procedurally generated speech animation. Like the text to speech API this animation from audio isn't new, no-one is re-inventing the wheel here, you just don't see it adapted to work in games.

You see how it all comes together now?

DNA tech, gene splicing, facial rigging for animation that allows any facial animation to play on any NPC rather than scripted only for specific NPC's or NPC groups.

Look IK that allows them to intelligently respond to things in the game around them just like you do.

Personality traits that make each of them unique in their reactions to their environment and to players - asymmetry is just a by-product.

Solving the attachment problem for wearables for variance in NPC dimensions.

Full Persistence!

It's all a part of the same thing - an experience of game characters you cannot get anywhere else because this project doesn't do the easy answers.

We will know these characters like we know our own friends and family, we will see them do things you never see in other games because they react to the universe they live in and they have a complete memory of the events of their lives... the fact that they change, get old, suffer injury just adds to it all. New Babbage or Lorville become a different experience entirely when it is full of these unique characters you can engage with on a one to one level and return to again and again.

This is what they are doing. This is why it is taking longer to make than your average game. This is why some of us support the project to the crazy levels that we do, because we know these things and we want to change the paradigm. Remember.. you are guaranteed to miss every shot you never take. The games we can play will never change beyond what the money men in suits want to give you if no-one is willing to try, they are risk averse, how un-gamer-like is that!

No-one is going to catch up to this project.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is piss cat chris roberts?

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

Azubah posted:

Is piss cat chris roberts?

I dunno about that but vitamins may be involved whenever he writes a short novella about dreams.txt.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I actually preferred that Kazan stories about his escapades with a collection of nubile females (with bosoms as heavy as thanksgiving turkeys) entranced by his rugged tales about modding Freespace.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
PEScat is just not well in the head, and not in a nice way like that dude who really likes astroboy (col azama?)

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Piss Cat has to be the absolute last believer in the “millions of life-like NPCs” promise. CIG itself has been walking that back for years, and the dream pretty much died among citizens years ago when they put Hurston in the game and Loreville turned out to be a tiny area with a dozen NPCs t-posing and standing on chairs. The NPCs in Oblivion are light years beyond what CIG currently has in SC.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

trucutru posted:

PEScat is just not well in the head, and not in a nice way like that dude who really likes astroboy (col azama?)

AdzAdama. I miss his playful creations, but I like to think he has moved on to more interesting things than Star Citizen.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

colonelwest posted:

Piss Cat has to be the absolute last believer in the “millions of life-like NPCs” promise. CIG itself has been walking that back for years, and the dream pretty much died among citizens years ago when they put Hurston in the game and Loreville turned out to be a tiny area with a dozen NPCs t-posing and standing on chairs. The NPCs in Oblivion are light years beyond what CIG currently has in SC.

Even CIG not stupid enough to promise "The Valley of the Heads" from the abandoned game studio in Disco Elysium

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

More than a year to... well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtP3gl_2kBM

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

colonelwest posted:

Oof right in the dreams.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
stolen from refunds sub

I asked GPT3 to tell me the story of Chris Roberts. It did not disappoint

AI is already smarter than average backer

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
off topic but did anyone play "huntdown"?
what an awesome game.
it was 5 bucks on ps4, man it was so worth it.
huntdown screams "i am a game!" in your face and thats cool and good.
the type of entertainment for someone who does not look for a second life but just a good time.

you might remember that commando's story where he is approached at a party (possibly by a female) with these words:

"i heard you are a gamer."
commando "i used to be a gamer. now i am a star citizen."
and god rays shine upon him.

while the correct reply to this would be: "yeah i am a gamer. and huntdown is the hottest poo poo you can play right now."

thanks for listening to my ted talk.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Very early on cig took on a system of not answering questions and instead focused on creating a community of "us vs them".

Less talk was about the condition of the game and more time was spent focusing on Derek being bad and wrong and goons being bad.

They spent a lot of time creating an area for Ben to talk, but I believe he was the main touch point for people and he wasn't a dev, just a community manager doing a bad job.

Once the veneer of a war to fight for star citizen to be better than other games ended, and Derek stopped being annoying, and people started to ask about things like timelines and development, cig shut a lot of it down but did try to give details.

Once they blew through all development timelines and promises, the new stance for the past several years has not only been no timelines, no promises, but also no asking about any of it. So it all gets shut down.

Its effectively sit down, shut up, and buy ships. Talk only about buying ships or dreams that are not tied to anything involving cig needing to actually deliver something.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

can this be true?
this thing is an ai?
if so then humanities days are numbered.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
It also became such a hot mess with asking cig questions and not being banned or your thread moved to "concern" and shut down that it also became a joke itself.

Effectively in order to ask one question and only one question you had to justify yourself as a believer of the project, profess your adoration of Chris, indicate how long you have been a backer for...

And once all this has been done over several paragraphs you can ask one small, non-combative question with the hope that it will not be shot down by cig or your account banned.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Oh and also be sure to tell everyone how much you spent on the project. The more you spent the better of a believer you are.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Dwesa posted:

stolen from refunds sub

I asked GPT3 to tell me the story of Chris Roberts. It did not disappoint

if this is actually an ai and not a hoax i am sufficiently freaked out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mellow_ posted:

if this is actually an ai and not a hoax i am sufficiently freaked out

"AI showing higher intelligence than SC backers" isn't exactly the Turing Test.