Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Me leaning to the guy next to me who also paid $200 for an IMAX 3D ticket to Avatar 2: "that's Spider, a human friend of Jake and Neytiri's children."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
look at that tiny wretched thing, should drown it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Can Spider speak Na'vi? Can he interface with their sky riders? These are things the audience wants to know about Spider, and hopefully we can find out more - if not in Avatar 2, perhaps in a Spider mini-series or spin-off

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I will never watch an avatar movie

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That thing how people are always thinking James Cameron is doing wrong dumb poo poo and being stupid and wasting money and making poor choices before he is somehow always proven right and correct and smashing box office records and creating amazing movies, that thing that's been going on for like 40 years, it's only going to make the one time James Cameron actually fails and actually fucks up just that much more delicious

Cameron failed once and all it did was make him more powerful, be careful what you wish for

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

gonna watch avatar 2 the way of water and use waterbending to take a piss whenever i feel like

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mawarannahr posted:

the premise sounds too silly. unobtainium? come on, jack

the bad guy in a giant mech draws a giant mech sized knife for the final fight and i was hooting and hollering when it happened

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

it's unobtainum in amerika

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mawarannahr posted:

might as well call it MacGuffinite

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Cameron failed once and all it did was make him more powerful, be careful what you wish for

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cameron%27s_unrealized_projects

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

mastershakeman posted:

the bad guy in a giant mech draws a giant mech sized knife for the final fight and i was hooting and hollering when it happened

that's the main thing I remember from it and if there isn't a callback I will throw poo at the screen.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giq9THI1RSU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
While many of you are likely yelling "Go Na'Vi!" or "Go Humans!" I'm telling "Go Spider, the human friend of Jake and Neytiri's children!"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Femur posted:

He tore apart all of their families using what they were most proud of, and found a new one for himself.

Making Danglars and his wife fight over expensive horses didn't really accomplish much either, because they ALREADY hate each other and are openly cheating on each other etc, but, it was funny

I guess he did sow some additional discord in Villefort's life by teaching his wife how to poison people, he just can't take any credit for Valentine and Franz breaking off their engagement because he literally did not contribute

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

While many of you are likely yelling "Go Na'Vi!" or "Go Humans!" I'm telling "Go Spider, the human friend of Jake and Neytiri's children!"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i watched celine sciamma's PETIT MAMAN last night (available on Kanopy if you have free access through your local library) and found it a delightful little 70 min fairy tale focusing on an 8-year-old whose grandmother dies and meets a strange girl her age while with her parents cleaning out her grandma's house. it veers from melancholy to sweet to poignant and touching, though never saccharine or false. with this and TOMBOY, sciamma has proven herself a great director of children (still need to see GIRLHOOD).

i'd add this to my made-up genre "live action ghibli-esque arthouse-ish films" along with kore-eda's OUR LITTLE SISTER (one of my faves of the 2000s) and I WISH........ anyone know of any others in this mold?

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 18:47 on Dec 7, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Justin Tyme posted:

I think its a little unfair to say he solves problems in uninteresting ways when it's stuff like building full scale 1:1 sets that can be flooded with water, sure its throwing money at the problem but the result is fantastic considering the time

Nowadays people would throw CGI artists at the problem which is way way less interesting and maybe not even as cheap (look at the slave mines that are Marvel studios)

btw isn’t avatar 2 just throwing CGI artists at the problem? part of the reason I didn’t see avatar 1 is because the cgi makes it look like shovelware for children.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

btw isn’t avatar 2 just throwing CGI artists at the problem? part of the reason I didn’t see avatar 1 is because the cgi makes it look like shovelware for children.

camron made them film underwater lol

(probably because he owns the company that supplies all the underwater filming gear, and his movies are the Unreal Tournament to his filming tech business's Unreal Engine)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

camron made them film underwater lol

(probably because he owns the company that supplies all the underwater filming gear, and his movies are the Unreal Tournament to his filming tech business's Unreal Engine)

neoliberalism is ruining cinema!

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

there are a whole bunch of other action movies I’d go to first. alien was cool but not that cool that I wanted to see any sequels. to me, between the terminator, the alien, and the titanic, james cameron seems a little dull and throws money at problems to solve them in uninteresting ways. you don’t need to go to the bottom of the sea to make a movie about a ship bro.

ages ago when they were a thing, I watched the DVD commentary for Solaris (2002) with Cameron and Soderbergh, and it was interesting to hear two directors bat solutions back and forth.

like there's a moment where a dude's fake wife rips through a steel door, and Cameron is legit impressed that Soderbergh only shows the aftermath. I think he even shot but found it unnecessary, and the slow pan to a destroyed door is unsettling enough on its own.

Cameron admits he would've defaulted to a complex effect but also thinks Soderbergh's treatment was better. i think he's a technical genius but is biased towards technical solutions

Durf has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Dec 7, 2022

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
kudos to Cameron for putting in an effort to destigmatize being a white guy with dreads

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Durf posted:

Cameron admits he would've defaulted to a complex effect but also thinks Soderbergh's treatment was better. i think he's a technical genius but is biased towards technical solutions

i remember that during the alita press tour Rodriguez talked about how he got his treatment down to feature length and under budget, and he mentioned how he did it by cutting the action and spectacle to the absolute minimum necessity to preserve the character stuff and this flooring Cameron with how well it worked

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Me leaning to the guy next to me who also paid $200 for an IMAX 3D ticket to Avatar 2: "that's Spider, a human friend of Jake and Neytiri's children."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

mawarannahr posted:

is there any movie cg that hits the mark for you?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

... preserve the character stuff and this flooring Cameron with how well it worked

turns out, it didn’t

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all, I remember there being a deluge of articles last Christmas about how Scrooge from a Christmas Carol is not that bad when you think about it. Like, dozens of them from the British press. Does anyone remember any/have any links? I am working on something and want to compile them. A phrase that sticks out in my head is somehing like "the frankly mediocre bob cratchit"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

A phrase that sticks out in my head is somehing like "the frankly mediocre bob cratchit"

This sounds like a line from a movie where Trump is Scrooge

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://money.com/ebenezer-scrooge-defense-charles-dickens-christmas-carol/

article posted:

As he appears in the original Dickens, Scrooge is a self-made small business owner. He is undeniably a buzzkill around the holidays. But he also comes across as an altogether good businessman—an honest, responsible moneylender, somebody who'd give you a fair deal on a mortgage. His sins essentially consist of lacking generosity. He may be a stingy, miserable old crank, but he's not a Christmas criminal in the league of the Grinch or the thieves in Home Alone. He doesn't engage in unethical business practices either, like the way Mr. Potter hides Bailey Building and Loan's lost money in It's a Wonderful Life. There's never a whiff in A Christmas Carol of Scrooge doing anything deceptive or dishonest.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
well it tracks since the British media is also spending a lot of time telling people that, if you think about it, do you really need electricity, heating, or food?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've also seen people claiming that Bob Cratchit's salary comes out to like $17/hr after inflation but that's less about Scrooge apologism and more about hellworld

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

loquacius posted:

I've also seen people claiming that Bob Cratchit's salary comes out to like $17/hr after inflation but that's less about Scrooge apologism and more about hellworld

FACT CHECK

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2022/02/08/fact-check-bob-cratchits-salary-higher-than-us-minimum-wage/8987313002/

PARTY FALSE: He wasn't living on the street!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

we're going to find out in the Avatar 2 Unrated Director's Cut that they call him Spider because he's always shooting web

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

cameron's filmography is Undeniable, but hauling off how he's a ~visionary~ is goofy. he's extremely ambitious, talented, and well-funded in the technical aspects of filmmaking, his visual storytelling tops out (reliably) at "pretty drat good", and there are times it's gratingly obvious that he's got a hammer and he's looking for nails. avatar loving sucked and if i can't find an imax theater and some good acid i'm just gonna talk poo poo about the sequel without actually seeing it

Filthy Hans posted:

I rewatched Heist tonight and while I think Mamet's one of the all-timers for screenplays I don't think he's a great director

mamet could talk his way out of a sunburn, but behind the camera he's pretty workmanlike. he's a writer who happens to be directing a movie. he knows what he wants from the scene, the characters, and the film as a whole, and he's just getting it done with minimum fuss

fun fact: in his free time, david mamet enjoys having borderline psychotic political opinions and being the kind of person you wouldn't want near a school

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

mamet's greatest, most lasting contribution to pop culture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUXpYMV17fw

Segue
May 23, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i watched celine sciamma's PETIT MAMAN last night (available on Kanopy if you have free access through your local library) and found it a delightful little 70 min fairy tale focusing on an 8-year-old whose grandmother dies and meets a strange girl her age while with her parents cleaning out her grandma's house. it veers from melancholy to sweet to poignant and touching, though never saccharine or false. with this and TOMBOY, sciamma has proven herself a great director of children (still need to see GIRLHOOD).

While a good movie, I'd definitely say Girlhood it's not in the same tier as those (Petite Maman was wonderful). It's a solid coming of age, but it relies on a lot of uncomfortable stereotypes of banlieue kids in the context of wider French politics.

Sciamma has admitted this, in retrospect, since she is amazing, but it's still worth a watch for the cinematography and storytelling and quiet little details that she excels at.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

mamet's greatest, most lasting contribution to pop culture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUXpYMV17fw

Al Pacino playing Ricky Roma is peak Mamet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdr_GiWXRws&t=42s

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i'd add this to my made-up genre "live action ghibli-esque arthouse-ish films" along with kore-eda's OUR LITTLE SISTER (one of my faves of the 2000s) and I WISH........ anyone know of any others in this mold?

maybe Cha no Aji, but it's been a while since I saw it. Asano whips, as always.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

It sucks that in Sandman you meet whatsherface Constantine but she's posh AF and talks like a times journalist who went to Oxford. And she's introduced saving a royal from a scary black footballer.

Like the whole point of comic constantine is he's a working class geezer who rubs the tories the wrong way and annoys demons

He's meant to be supernatural columbo except ruder so he goes "oh an one more fing, Mr Satan... go suck yer da!"

Supernatural Columbo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16CKjELxHhg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Calico Heart posted:

Hey all, I remember there being a deluge of articles last Christmas about how Scrooge from a Christmas Carol is not that bad when you think about it. Like, dozens of them from the British press. Does anyone remember any/have any links? I am working on something and want to compile them. A phrase that sticks out in my head is somehing like "the frankly mediocre bob cratchit"

Libertarians have been writing these for years