Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

FileNotFound posted:

Once again - the store IS gambling and you are losing the gamble every time you check it and it doesn't have a single item of the type you are looking for.

If you think that buying a specific item type with hidden stats is a lootbox mechanic - but an hourly refreshed store with random loot isn't a lootbox mechanic - I genuinely don't know what to tell you.

if you strictly construe the effort to look and see what's in the store as a cost, sure, but that seems silly. i'm not gambling if i drive to the store for bananas even if there's a chance they don't have any. i am gambling if i buy a blind box of fruit that may or may not have bananas inside.

it sucks that people can't get even a basic weapon they want on demand, but saying it sucks the same way lootboxes suck is really stretching things.

Kaysette posted:

What is the curio meta looking like for psyker? I've been using a mix of +toughness and +health as I'm settling in at 30 and trying to make the jump from malice to heresy.

get +1 wound. more is a luxury and you might get rid of it later but dying on second down will make learning heresy even worse.

health is probably more useful than toughness because you really shouldn't be facetanking damage in general as psyker. everything about the class is focused on humping cover instead of trading fire, and there are so many things that nuke your entire toughness bar or go straight to health that more toughness is just less useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

game rules but it's still in beta.

they should have called it an early access release so people who haven't experienced a fatshark game launch have their expectations set correctly.

God-Emperor see me! *crashes to desktop*

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Phlegmish posted:

So I should charge my power sword, chain heavy charged attacks, dodge back, and repeat? Got it. I think my problem is that I'm still in Vermintide mode where you don't want to take damage from anything (ignoring the existence of temp health for a second). In Darktide it matters less since you can immediately regain that lost toughness, especially when fighting a horde, so you can afford to be exposed for a second.

Only thing that still confuses me is that CuddleCryptid mentions four chained attacks, while dogstile is apparently only doing 2-3 before his charge runs out. I guess I could try it out for myself once I get home.

It's always four for me, ie two two-swing combos, but you have to immediately commit to it, even if the first swing is only hitting empty air. Usually in hordes I go into full blender mode and work more on keeping the space in front of me clear rather than trying to get the most bang for my buck in one swing, with some Mordhau-style drag swings thrown in for the sides. In that way it's okay if my first swing on a charge only clips one or two zeds because when the second once comes out they are already filling back in, but they're not fast enough to do an attack before getting hit.

Power sword has such good cleave that if you can keep a wall of sword going then enemies can't get in range and rear up for a hit before getting smacked. But if on high difficulties they don't stagger/die as easily then that technique might go away.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 7, 2022

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

hemale in pain posted:

stuff like this annoys me cause i keep getting veteran teammates who are completetly useless. like WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!! useless, when they're such a super good class. I'm not even bothered by player 'skill' but they just aren't shooting ranged enemies or helping us fight the horde, and instead like crouched behind a box outside of coherence range. they tend to be level 20+ too so they must of been doing this for like 20 hours.

I try to keep in mind that some people haven't had years of experience with L4D, VT, and DRG and this might be their first horde co-op shooter. Even so, when we're at the assassination boss fight and I have to keep typing "USE MED" "DEPLOY MEDKIT" <PLAYER> PLEASE USE THE MEDKIT" it gets a little tilting.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Cease to Hope posted:

if you strictly construe the effort to look and see what's in the store as a cost, sure, but that seems silly. i'm not gambling if i drive to the store for bananas even if there's a chance they don't have any. i am gambling if i buy a blind box of fruit that may or may not have bananas inside.

Your time has value. The store wastes that time. I still don't understand how people think it is better than being able to craft something on the spot. Both systems at the same time? Sure, great, let me make lovely gear and give me a shop where I have a chance at getting something great. But not JUST the shop.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

big cummers ONLY posted:

Your time has value. The store wastes that time. I still don't understand how people think it is better than being able to craft something on the spot. Both systems at the same time? Sure, great, let me make lovely gear and give me a shop where I have a chance at getting something great. But not JUST the shop.

nobody thinks the shop is good by itself, nobody doesn't want to be able to craft things.

who are you even talking to

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I dont think the store wastes my time cause I've gotten every weapon type I want and even if it doesnt have the best stats I'll just play well enough that it doesnt matter :3

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

i'm not gambling if i drive to the store for bananas even if there's a chance they don't have any.

That is in fact what one would indeed call a gamble. You're literally gambling on the chance of there being bananas at the store.

There is in fact no difference between the box that may have bananas and a store that may have bananas.

Orv
May 4, 2011
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

nobody thinks the shop is good by itself, nobody doesn't want to be able to craft things.

who are you even talking to

Read the thread? I didn't write down their name but yes, people are saying that the shop is nbd and expecting crafting to be in at launch is unreasonable

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
But what do you guys think about our Pilot?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Fishstick posted:

But what do you guys think about our Pilot?

She needs to take way better care of the ship. There are unsecured cables on the floor that are a major trip hazard, the screen flickers and one of the lightbulbs is out. I don't know who signed off on that thing being flight worthy....

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
she doesn't like air traffic controllers

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

hemale in pain posted:

The store is fine if the crafting system was in and you could craft basic weapons when unlocking them. Right now as there's no crafting they really need to just give everyone free guns when you unlock them! they don't have to have good stats.
Boy people are going to be real surprised when crafting drops and you can't craft weapons

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Running to the store to check updates before running missions is like a wrapped gift. It doesn't serve any functional purpose and makes things slower but it makes it more fun because it's a surprise. And yet if you had to unwrap 30 presents a day for a month you'd probably just ask for a gift card.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

what in the gently caress, I've got like 12 force swords and not one of them with deflection

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I hope the crafting system is an unexplained puzzle game grid of Latin and Greek letters that you have to arrange in order to make something and the code is unique for every player forcing you to make a spreadsheet and decipher the algorithm

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I hope the crafting system is an unexplained puzzle game grid of Latin and Greek letters that you have to arrange in order to make something and the code is unique for every player forcing you to make a spreadsheet and decipher the algorithm

A confusing mix of sacred oils, incense, prayer scrolls, and bells to chime and if you do it in the wrong order Hadron accuses you of tech-heresy and you’re rendered down for parts.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Entire UI in High Gothic. Also since no lore has actually created a workable "High Gothic" language concept - it's basically random characters.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

It's the "fixing the servoskull" minigame but each row is picking the new attributes and traits for your weapon with no key provided.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I throw in a shove before dodging back just in case, but that's the gist of it. The charge increases your cleave to the point where you just carve through hordes, so any toughness damage you take tends to come back immediately. I get anywhere from 2-5 swings out of a charge, I have no idea how the mechanic works so I just charge it after every third swing or whenever I get a second.

also anyone who says the preacher zealot is a superfluous class hasn't experienced the sheer joy of hosing down a horde with a flamethrower.

Also there's a lot of joy to be had from sending a rager flying 20 feet with all their bones shattered with a powered up thunder hammer strike.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

FileNotFound posted:

Entire UI in High Gothic. Also since no lore has actually created a workable "High Gothic" language concept - it's basically random characters.

Most of the time when I see High Gothic portrayed in the books it's usually just Latin. Can't wait to finally put my Classics degree to use when I craft up an orange voidstrike staff!

Arma ludumque cano, Tertio qui primus ab urbis...

Mr. Fish fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 7, 2022

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Just incorporate the Total Warhammer 2 puzzles into trying to make a knife.

All of the people having trouble with Psyker is not helped by the amount of awful guides on how to play the class. Most of them are telling players to hang back and snipe, with two of them comparing the class to Kerillian from VT.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pennsylvanian posted:

Just incorporate the Total Warhammer 2 puzzles into trying to make a knife.

All of the people having trouble with Psyker is not helped by the amount of awful guides on how to play the class. Most of them are telling players to hang back and snipe, with two of them comparing the class to Kerillian from VT.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How tf are they not comparing them to Sienna?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pennsylvanian posted:

Great, not only are they giving terrible advice about psyker in this game, they're also giving terrible advice about elf in a completely different game.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Pennsylvanian posted:

For Psyker, you kind of eventually have to let go of your preconceptions of brain-bursting, which will free you up to be an absolute monster. Indypride posted a good build and I used it to carry people through difficulty 3 and 4 last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ay9ZPxgs40

Here's another build which I will try when I level my psyker more. It's a different take which seems to make your psyker play more like a veteran, if that's your thing. Turns your guy into a bullet wizard, if you want to be a gun user.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiC9uhaqtf8

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
new patch tanked my fps today. strange, it was stable and smooth before.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Insert name here posted:

Boy people are going to be real surprised when crafting drops and you can't craft weapons

nooooo don't say that

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Anyone know which setting specifically affects particle effects? For some reason the voidstrike staff ae effect really tanks my FPS, even on a fresh beefy rig. Everything else runs smooth these days but man, being in melee when one of those things hits is like a sudden -40FPS for a few seconds.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

hemale in pain posted:

nooooo don't say that

There has been no indication we will be able to craft white items like in VT2.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Theyve explicitly said no crafting.

Might change their minds but thats the word.

Probbaly hear more in the next devblog if theyre gonna backtrack on that.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

It would explain so much, seeing my Psyker teammates holding out their staffs, trying to plink the end bosses just to get swarmed.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

if that's the case then there's really no excuse for the terrible store and very few weapon drops!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

hemale in pain posted:

if that's the case then there's really no excuse for the terrible store and very few weapon drops!

Actually the opposite. The ability to craft whites would make the store superfluous, especially after level 30. Other than shopping for blessings I suppose. I would definitely like to see the store refresh perhaps after every run or maybe 30 minutes. An hour is too long.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

But I was assured in this very thread that I was being silly and they'd probably put it in later!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

big cummers ONLY posted:

But I was assured in this very thread that I was being silly and they'd probably put it in later!

My fellow poster big cummers ONLY, they were wrong.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kaddish posted:

Actually the opposite. The ability to craft whites would make the store superfluous, especially after level 30. Other than shopping for blessings I suppose. I would definitely like to see the store refresh perhaps after every run or maybe 30 minutes. An hour is too long.

I disagree, with the ability to level whites with crafting items and then a gold shop for random ones at higher levels you have two paths to upgrades using different currencies. To make crafting worthwhile you have to slow down the shop, to make shopping worthwhile you have to make crafting mats rare, which they already did.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
They've been very clear in the dev blog post on the crafting system that crafting items from blueprints Vermintide 2-style is not coming: https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/dev-blog-crafting-in-darktide/60556

In addition to what's already in game with bumping items up to the next color tier, you can swap out blessings, upgrade blessings, and reroll perks. But not, say, deciding you want a bolter and just making one. Hopefully that clears up any misconceptions about what's intended for these systems.

Now, it is pretty clear to me that this is not as good as Vermintide 2 for having the weapons you want, when you want them, and makes you entirely reliant on the shop, random drops, or what you can buy with your weeklies. It will inevitably take longer to get optimized gear compared to Vermintide 2, where you simply reached max power level and had all items keyed off of that with a relatively easy way to optimize from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
How do the attack chains work with the eviscerator? Like choosing between a downswing that hits the head and a swipe that cuts the hoard enemies in half? I though it was based on what direction your were holding on your key board and/or the movement of your mouse, but I get inconsistent results? With the thunderhammer, I can get consistent swings.