Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Colonel Cancer posted:

When several more iterations of :justvote: happens I predict that it will be the new excuse for not helping any affected groups. People of poverty and homelessness are a unique vibrant culture and who are we to disrupt it with our imperialistic handouts.

This is already how people in Vancouver act about the homeless and appalling poverty downtown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Idk my uncle in law died a long death from ALS and was told by his insurance if he offed himself (which he wanted to) his wife would be financially ruined bc she would owe everything back for all the stuff he got to make his last MANY years a little more comfortable well over 100 grand. So if anyone insists that there are no circumstances where assisted suicide should be available I disagree.

Otherwise a lot of good points itt

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

AxGrap posted:

Idk my uncle in law died a long death from ALS and was told by his insurance if he offed himself (which he wanted to) his wife would be financially ruined bc she would owe everything back for all the stuff he got to make his last MANY years a little more comfortable well over 100 grand. So if anyone insists that there are no circumstances where assisted suicide should be available I disagree.

Otherwise a lot of good points itt

now that's ghoulish

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Because she needed the payoff from life Insurance to pay the Healthcare company?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Orbis Tertius posted:

you think if they were given a million bucks and world class psychiatric care they would choose to live?

not for nothing, but I have known multiple people who had a million bucks and world-class psychiatric care and still made earnest attempts at suicide

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Femur posted:

Because she needed the payoff from life Insurance to pay the Healthcare company?

Iirc it was that plus the health care word not be paid for as much if he died by his own hand. It was pretty hosed up.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Subjunctive posted:

not for nothing, but I have known multiple people who had a million bucks and world-class psychiatric care and still made earnest attempts at suicide

That’s not really a reason to open the door to liquidating the poor - who wouldn’t otherwise make suicide attempts.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I take a little umbrage to all the moral hypotheticals itt re: suicide, mostly bc of the experience of that family member. But that poo poo in Canada is pretty hosed.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Shame Boy posted:

So is it okay to provide the group that's truly in need of killing themselves with tools to do so if it also means that a (in all likelihood much larger) group that wasn't going to kill themselves will now be pressured into doing it by the perverse incentives of the system?

This isn't me arguing I genuinely don't have a good answer.

No. To suffer so that others may live is a higher calling. It sucks, it's hard, it's unfair - but it's about humanity, not yourself.

Just know that Marx is by your bedside, and you're doing it to keep hope for a better world alive.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

granted, though the context was impoverished peoples being offered suicide as a way out when their immiseration is very obviously the problem.

also not really concerned with realism when I shitpost

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

GotLag posted:

People who are suicidal due to capitalism shouldn't have to die alone.

My new startup endr provides a variety of teleconfenced euthies to be there with you to virtually help you pass on, based on your subscription tier and gamified unlocks. You can find rare shiny afterlives and trade them with other users!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

tokin opposition posted:

I have decided to MAiD myself out of this conversation, thus winning it

lmao

Sorry, I'm just a dumbass who worries too much about people sometimes.

Serious talk: Most discussions on the subject are going to be pointless moralizing either way. In the end, outrage over what is being done doesn't really shed any light on what is to be done. Which is a subject for, ehem, another thread. :v:

not gonna lie, creeping me out a bit here dude

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its cool actually. Going to the big marx monument in the sky

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

my dad posted:

lmao

Sorry, I'm just a dumbass who worries too much about people sometimes.

Serious talk: Most discussions on the subject are going to be pointless moralizing either way. In the end, outrage over what is being done doesn't really shed any light on what is to be done. Which is a subject for, ehem, another thread. :v:

not gonna lie, creeping me out a bit here dude

Thanks dad, you're already a better father to me than my actual father :)

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lol that isn't how it works. lawyers work shitloads of hours but only a fraction of those are billable hours.

99 percent is a fraction of one hundred percent

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

SniperWoreConverse posted:

My new startup endr provides a variety of teleconfenced euthies to be there with you to virtually help you pass on, based on your subscription tier and gamified unlocks. You can find rare shiny afterlives and trade them with other users!

I am thinking more along the lines of having capitalists go with you to act as servants in the afterlife.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Suicide whales buying lootboxes full of pills.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
My mother suffered a long, painful drawn out death from cancer, she wanted to die and couldn't.

Eventually I kept telling a nurse that she'd woken up and requested additional meds until they put her under and she didn't come up again, everyone involved knew what was up but there was no legal means for her to request a dose that would end things.

People have a right to die

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

can someone post a picture of an Uber driver doing a livestream of him playing a mobile game while Tiffany Trump looks puffy and grumpy in the background or something?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Sure, people should have access to dignified easy death. The idea that some authority holds power over when or how you die is almost laughable. The fact that they effectively do for some (like that story about treatments and life insurance) is a lot less funny.

Building anything within these systems just compromises you, gives you something to lose, to the point where some money-minded coalition of middle men gets to hold your consciousness hostage. It's sad that/when anybody wants or seeks death, but death is an inevitable part of life that you shouldn't fear, and can even embrace. Like the rear end in a top hat being right next to the hoohah. That's right, Go forth, eat rear end, and die!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They’re going to turbocharge immiserating the poor to feed them into the grinder and you’ll continue to think of it as individuals choosing what’s best for them. The freedom is entirely illusory.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

can someone post a picture of an Uber driver doing a livestream of him playing a mobile game while Tiffany Trump looks puffy and grumpy in the background or something?

I don't have a capitalism picture handy but this thread's a huge bummer right now, even more than it usually is, so have this picture I found in my screenshots folder that I don't remember taking and have no recollection of what it could be from:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

They’re going to turbocharge immiserating the poor to feed them into the grinder and you’ll continue to think of it as individuals choosing what’s best for them. The freedom is entirely illusory.

Capital already feeds the poor into the grinder and frames it as their own fault due to them making bad individual choices to create the illusion of freedom, though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just gonna keep posting stuff from my screenshots directory until this conversation ends I guess

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zodium posted:

Capital already feeds the poor into the grinder and frames it as their own fault due to them making bad individual choices to create the illusion of freedom, though.

Right, which is why this is also bad

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpa7wEAz7I

code:
[Intro]
Efficiency and progress is ours once more
Now that we have the Neutron bomb
It's nice and quick and clean and gets things done
Away with excess enemy
But no less value to property
No sense in war but perfect sense at home

[Verse 1]
The sun beams down on a brand new day
No more welfare tax to pay
Unsightly slums gone up in flashing light
Jobless millions whisked away
At last we have more room to play
All systems go to kill the poor tonight

[Chorus]
Gonna kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor
Kill kill kill kill kill the poor tonight

[Verse 2]
Behold the sparkle of champagne
The crime rate's gone, feel free again
Oh, life's a dream with you, Miss Lily White
Jane Fonda on the screen today
Convinced the liberals it's okay
So let's get dressed to dance away the night

[Chorus]
While they kill kill kill kill kill the poor

[Solo]

[Verse 2]
Behold the sparkle of champagne
The crime rate's gone, feel free again
Oh, life's a dream with you, Miss Lily White
Jane Fonda on the screen today
Convinced the liberals it's okay
So let's get dressed to dance away the night

[Chorus]
While they kill kill kill kill kill the poor

(wordless scream)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The concept of freedom was invented in 2002 as a right-wing talking point imo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Zodium posted:

I think it's gonna get worse

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

christmas boots posted:

I think it's gonna get worse

Just Vote

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/eatatchain/status/1600231787908960256

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/1600434466400378881

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Viral?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

In every sense of the word.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

This sounds like something Seinfeld would say to Elaine to try to seem deep right before getting a comeuppance like having the sandwich fall apart on his nice shirt or something.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

This sounds like something Seinfeld would say to Elaine to try to seem deep right before getting a comeuppance like having the sandwich fall apart on his nice shirt or something.

And Elaine takes a big forkful of salad and grins at him while the crowd goes wild. Yeah, I see it

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Cramps supremacy.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Shame Boy posted:

It's more of a Kramer line, not Jerry.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I mean I was specifically thinking of this bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjlW3QCR8Rg

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shame Boy posted:

To me, it sounds like something George says to Jerry at the diner and then Jerry makes a joke about how he's never been more than people expect and if anything he's been less.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I don't think Kramer would talk about being more than people expect but the double down definitely sounds like something he'd come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Shifty Nipples posted:

99 percent is a fraction of one hundred percent

I'm just saying "I made a billion calendar notices so pay me for this many of them as a result" is not gonna fly.