Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

bugs bunny sawing off florida but "Azure AD DS" is written over top of florida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There is this persistent idea that a lot of people at this outsourced consulting team have that DNS means something different from what it means to the entire rest of the world.

We have two database clusters that are completely unrelated to each other and run on completely different sets of hosts with completely different configurations and data. For some insane reason, they insist on referring to one of them as "Dev" and the other as "Dev DNS." I have no idea if they think these are somehow the same environment just with a different DNS A record that magically makes them return different data or if they just don't know what DNS means.

What I do know is they wiped one of the DBs without telling or asking me and now I have users mad at me because their poo poo disappeared.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

New 52 character admin username :shepicide:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

codo27 posted:

Areyouk1ddingmewiththislongassAdministratorname?gently caress

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

codo27 posted:

Why? Why would you ever need a login name that long?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zil posted:

Why? Why would you ever need a login name that long?

How else are you going to differentiate the two sites' 51-character admin usernames

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Devor posted:

How else are you going to differentiate the two sites' 51-character admin usernames

Now you're just being cruel.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
A robot that just randomly stops working. It works for about 2 weeks, then stops outputting data. My guess is that there is a buffer that once it's filled stops new data from going in. Now I get to learn ladder logic.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

joebuddah posted:

A robot that just randomly stops working. It works for about 2 weeks, then stops outputting data. My guess is that there is a buffer that once it's filled stops new data from going in. Now I get to learn ladder logic.

What kind of robot? Can it fight back if you hit it?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
So I just found out the IT manager at a major client has been telling everyone not to bother logging a ticket with us and just come and see me directly. Explains why I’ve had so many walk-ups lately.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bargearse posted:

So I just found out the IT manager at a major client has been telling everyone not to bother logging a ticket with us and just come and see me directly. Explains why I’ve had so many walk-ups lately.

No jury would convict.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No jury would convict.

He left last week so not my problem any more, but it’s going to be a hell of a job getting them to follow process again.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't do work without a ticket, either outcome solves a problem for you.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't do work without a ticket, either outcome solves a problem for you.
This is the only correct answer. If someone asks about progress on something, the response is "what's the ticket number?" and if there isn't one you tell them to file a ticket.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Had a three day engagement to do a hardening review on some client servers. They failed to get me credentials by the end of the three days, so they got billed for the time, I went on annual leave for a week, and when I got back on Tuesday I found it had been rescheduled to start again on Wednesday.

Guess what they still haven't gotten to me?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A purchase order?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Going into the office to be done with work in 2 hours and still have 6 more hours

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

wolrah posted:

This is the only correct answer. If someone asks about progress on something, the response is "what's the ticket number?" and if there isn't one you tell them to file a ticket.

That’s how I’ve been handling it so far, along with mentioning in the meeting that tickets are guaranteed to get attention and if there isn’t a ticket, I can’t do the work.

You make one exception, even for something genuinely urgent, it becomes the expectation very quickly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can also wheel out the "I need everything as a ticket so the C-levels can have evidence when we need to hire more people, allowing us to help you quicker".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The one I used is "if you put a ticket in then your rear end is covered when someone asks you why you haven't done the work yet. You just tell your boss that the thing's broke, but here's the ticket if they want to chase it".

Thanks Ants posted:

A purchase order?
Happily that is not my problem and they pre-pay us in advance for the quarter.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Rackspace is still down
Who knows when it will be back?
"Go to Microsoft."

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Rackspace is still down
Who knows when it will be back?
"Go to Microsoft."

Rackspace isn't just down, they got owned hard. If you're still using rackspace and it isn't your choice, I'm sorry. If you have any control over it gtfo of that burning poo poo pile

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

i am a moron posted:

Rackspace isn't just down, they got owned hard. If you're still using rackspace and it isn't your choice, I'm sorry. If you have any control over it gtfo of that burning poo poo pile

My company has agreed that we are getting out of Rackspace in every way shape and form as soon as humanly possible. I have been telling my boss this since we started but it was too much inertia to move it all. I guess in a way this is a blessing because O365 is a lot better.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Haven't touched Rackspace in ages myself. What kind of red flags have they been giving off before this?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I switched from Teamviewer to Anydesk a long while back, because former locked down my free account on some random suspicion of "professional use", requiring me to fill out actual paperwork, swearing to be doing only private use, to unlock it again.

Now I updated Anydesk to the newest version and these fuckwads introduced a session time limit on the free license. So if I'm remoting into a friends computer to do some stupid maintenance work, I have to reconnect multiple times. Awesome.

I guess Parsec's the next way out, until they get a stick up their butts.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is it attended access? If you're on Windows look at Quick Assist.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Haven't touched Rackspace in ages myself. What kind of red flags have they been giving off before this?

They started sending these emails out around Sept.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

jeeeeeeeeeesus

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Prescription Combs posted:

They started sending these emails out around Sept.

probably answers how they sell accounts for 3 dollars a pop.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're happy with :yaycloud: then there's no good reason not to use Microsoft 365. Even if you're really tight, there's a plan for you.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

here we go again with my loving job

earlier this year I used a Windows 11 machine every day for testing purposes and determined that yep, it's Windows, works fine except for the office WiFi

Now Boss^2 wants us to test Windows 11 again, with a priority of fixing the WiFi issue because it must be a bad driver or something, even though the symptoms don't look like a bad driver at all, oh and we have to figure out what exactly needs to be tested even though that's not what we do but "just make Service Desk do it" is the eternal loving refrain

this place sucks rear end and i need to GTFO

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

dragonshardz posted:

earlier this year I used a Windows 11 machine every day for testing purposes and determined that yep, it's Windows, works fine except for the office WiFi

Now Boss^2 wants us to test Windows 11 again, with a priority of fixing the WiFi issue because it must be a bad driver or something, even though the symptoms don't look like a bad driver at all, oh and we have to figure out what exactly needs to be tested even though that's not what we do but "just make Service Desk do it" is the eternal loving refrain

At least if the same hardware works with your office wifi on 10 but not 11, there are a severely limited number of causes.

...you guys don't have admin access to the office wifi to test, or any resident experts in wireless authentication, do you? That's not going to be fun.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Silly Newbie posted:

At least if the same hardware works with your office wifi on 10 but not 11, there are a severely limited number of causes.

...you guys don't have admin access to the office wifi to test, or any resident experts in wireless authentication, do you? That's not going to be fun.

Nope, and...maybe, idk. The network dudes aren't exactly awe-inspiring while remaining pretty heavily siloed.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

e: how the gently caress did the same post fire twice wtf

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

dragonshardz posted:

Windows 11 22h2 forces credential guard on, which in turn fucks with enterprise wi-fi that does clear text credentials passed over policy. Suggested mitigation is to move to certificates or a wi-fi system that does DPPSK.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SlowBloke posted:

Windows 11 22h2 forces credential guard on, which in turn fucks with enterprise wi-fi that does clear text credentials passed over policy. Suggested mitigation is to move to certificates or a wi-fi system that does DPPSK.

noted but i have no access to change that and any infra changes probably have to go through like six months of meetings

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

dragonshardz posted:

e: how the gently caress did the same post fire twice wtf

Did you post using your office WiFi? :imunfunny:

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Things that piss me off: Our management.

This company has always been closed between christmas and the first january week and you were forced to spend your PTO. Last week this has been cancled thus I cancled my not very exciting vacation plans. Now this week HR comes around and wants a written statement what I'm doing at work during that week or want me to take PTO.

No and no. I'm not taking PTO if my plans are cancled and you are not getting a plan out of me on what I'm supposed to do that week. What are you gonna do? Fire me?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Make something up about maintaining documentation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
How is HR management? Tell them to gently caress off