Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1599295712512344065

tfw us marines are becoming a glorified artillery battery just as china rolls out the killer robot tanks

which side will wln the synthwave soundtrack wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

we should just build a concrete bunker dome over taiwan with a tiny oculus that only a v-22 can fit through.

chinas not dumb enough to build a suicide plane and taiwan wont be able to survive without lots of ours.

its a win win for construction and aerospace lets go

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Amazing. Who is the author? Do they justify their claim that imperialism in the middle of the Victorian era in the British empire wasn't jingoistic? Is it by saying the word didn't originate until the late 1870s?

Palladium posted:

again why does a resource-extraction american colony needs an army besides murdering brown people as a sidekick

As FF has said more demurely, so America doesn't station a bunch of troops in Canada.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The us is replacing the blackhawk with a loving mini osprey lmao

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Thats gonna kill more troops than china ever will

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol these kooky AI generated helicopters are absurd

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

Amazing. Who is the author? Do they justify their claim that imperialism in the middle of the Victorian era in the British empire wasn't jingoistic? Is it by saying the word didn't originate until the late 1870s?

As FF has said more demurely, so America doesn't station a bunch of troops in Canada.

David Ross and Robin May, and it’s sort of reasonable that Canada like the other Dominions had internal politics that resisted Jingoism on the basis that it would draw them into something they wouldn’t benefit from. Specifically the Dominions spent the mid-late Victorian resisting sending troops to India and Africa, culminating in the Boer War.

It’s a romanticism of Victorian English Canadian Protestant culture though for sure, and overlooks that idealism aside, the limitation to Jingoism was rooted in just not thinking war with Russia over Central Asia or whatever would be good for the local ruling class.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I love seeing military hardware slowly bulk up after they are put in service and look radically different from what they used to look like. Can't wait to see what kind of monstrosity this one turns into after they add all the doodads troops want in a few years.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I guess everyone forgot about Australia, but there's some choice quotes here.

https://breakingdefense.com/2022/12/will-us-supply-australia-with-aukus-subs-thats-not-going-to-happen-key-us-lawmaker-says/

quote:

“There’s been a lot of talk about well, the Australians would just buy a US submarine. That’s not going to happen,”

We’ve got to get Australian submariners or Australian shipbuilders here to the United States

we’re going to dual-crew it with Australian sailors and US sailors

US needs to have 51% control and command and Australia has 49%.

Listen, in an emergency, it will come back to the United States.

Traditional views of sovereignty and sovereign capability are kind of irrelevant at this point

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

it's a helicopter, they're all affronts to god

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Palladium posted:

Thats gonna kill more troops than china ever will

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol what was the french offer to them again

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol uh what the gently caress?

Singapore was lost to the Japanese because it’s impossible to get Australian coal and cattle barons to pay for their own, let alone Imperial, defence, so good luck Yanks!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

studying colonial North America owns because no one at any point wanted to spend any money ever on the new world. French North America was lost for want of half a dozen regiments and a squadron of ships

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

studying colonial North America owns because no one at any point wanted to spend any money ever on the new world. French North America was lost for want of half a dozen regiments and a squadron of ships

tbf keeping a handful of regiments in the poisonous swamps of french colonial holdings would require many, many regiments worth of soldiers in a constant stream to replace the diseased, which is a constant across all the european colonial holdings in the americas across the whole era and a plays a role in how tf spain lost basically a whole continent's worth of colonies

france was busy getting its soldiers killed in a whole bunch of other ways

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Raskolnikov38 posted:

volunteering as an empire's bitch actually has no drawbacks, I are also very smart

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

https://breakingdefense.com/2022/12/will-us-supply-australia-with-aukus-subs-thats-not-going-to-happen-key-us-lawmaker-says/

Traditional views of sovereignty and sovereign capability are kind of irrelevant at this point

:drat: what a strange time

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cao Ni Ma posted:

my dad was a CH-46 pilot in Vietnam and based on what he told me you cannot overemphasize how important it is for a helicopter to be able to autorotate if it loses power, and the Osprey and it's new idiot little brother cannot autorotate

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Filthy Hans posted:

my dad was a CH-46 pilot in Vietnam and based on what he told me you cannot overemphasize how important it is for a helicopter to be able to autorotate if it loses power, and the Osprey and it's new idiot little brother cannot autorotate

What’s a few helicopter crashes between friends?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

submarines of their own vs another opportunity to kiss american rear end, no contest

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This is what Australia was like in the Empire too, you knew what you were getting.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

tbf keeping a handful of regiments in the poisonous swamps of french colonial holdings would require many, many regiments worth of soldiers in a constant stream to replace the diseased, which is a constant across all the european colonial holdings in the americas across the whole era and a plays a role in how tf spain lost basically a whole continent's worth of colonies

france was busy getting its soldiers killed in a whole bunch of other ways

Yeah they sent 50000 soldiers to Haiti and well, a few hundred made it back.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol that the US military is stealing designs from the Enclave

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Probably the other way around.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

sullat posted:

Yeah they sent 50000 soldiers to Haiti and well, a few hundred made it back.

montreal, quebec and luisbourg would probably be less deleterious to soldiers

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Osprey first flew in 1989, it has been around a while.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

"flew"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Raskolnikov38 posted:

montreal, quebec and luisbourg would probably be less deleterious to soldiers

Probably, but those places couldn't grow sugar. Which is what made Haiti France's most profitable colony.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

OhFunny posted:

Probably, but those places couldn't grow sugar. Which is what made Haiti France's most profitable colony.

The problem is that France had that attitude towards India, Louisiana, other islands in the Caribbean etc. until they couldn't hold onto the profitable bits.

Britain secured every rock or bit of coastline they could between them and India, even though pretty much none of them were profitable, to keep the jewel in the crown.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I thought the whole AUKUS deal was that there would be a technology transfer and Austrailia would build the submarines in Austrailia. Due to the entirely foreseeable difficulties with that plan, arising from Austrailia's unique position of being Austrailia, there has been some talk about just building the first one in the US. This guy just seems to be saying they aren't gonna do that, but they may "lend" a largely American crewed sub as a stopgap. AFAIK that is entirely consistent with the original agreement...it never made any sense to interrupt the US Navy's own deliveries to just give one to another country.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

David Ross and Robin May...

Thanks.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

What’s a few helicopter crashes between friends?

My dad told me one anecdote that really stuck with me, he was dropping supplies by zipline during night fighting and one of the engine overheat lights came on. His co-pilot was a rookie and he reached up to turn off the engine, as per training. My dad smacked his hand away. My dad knew the reason the warning came on was because a flare passed so close that it threw off the temp readings, the engine wasn't actually dangerously overheating. CH-46s have two rotors, they can autorotate but even so power loss can be perilous when you're dropping supplies. That was a close call.

edit: corrected on my helicopterology ignorance

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 14:25 on Dec 8, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

The problem is that France had that attitude towards India, Louisiana, other islands in the Caribbean etc. until they couldn't hold onto the profitable bits.

Britain secured every rock or bit of coastline they could between them and India, even though pretty much none of them were profitable, to keep the jewel in the crown.

The british stumbled into owning the richest province of the mughal empire right off the bat and made the EIC stop being a burden on the state.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

The british stumbled into owning the richest province of the mughal empire right off the bat and made the EIC stop being a burden on the state.

EUIV speedrun strats are wild

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

That is a good point, although I think the official French plan was that they'd just win all the battles on the continent and then demand the colonies back during the peace conference, which worked well enough against the Netherlands and Spain, but not so much against perfidious Albion.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Filthy Hans posted:

The lift capability on these things are pretty atrocious too. The wiki article on the new vertibird so pictured has the difference between zero weight and max takeoff as like 8000 pounds, I'm not sure if zero weight is zero or zero+fuel. It can carry a platoon of guys and their crap and that's it.

Presumably in a total loss of engine power scenario it can glide a bit like a fixed wing, but lol.

It's ok, the purpose of these things is to slush public money into private hands, the more the better. Anything else is merely a distraction.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rutibex posted:

the enclave *is* the us military, tribal.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Filthy Hans posted:

CH-46s have two rotors, they can autorotate if both are off but if one is on and the other is off the chopper will tip and fall straight down. Everyone on board and everyone within a fairly decent radius around the supply dump site would have been incinerated in a jet fuel explosion. That was a close call.

This part doesn't quite track, I'm sure the rest of the anecdote is sound, but on a tandem-rotor helicopter like CH46/47, the power train is not "one engine per rotor", the rotors are physically linked through a transmission and gearbox that is supplied by both engines, it's not possible for one rotor to spin and the other to remain static, in fact if there is any desychronisation between rotors the airframe can tear itself to pieces via the buildup of harmonics, or the rotors colliding with each other. A twitchy rookie shutting down an engine for no reason during a cargo operation over a fuel dump is certainly something you'd want to avoid, but it wouldn't cause the helicopter to tilt over out of the sky. If this was true then shutting down an engine mid-flight at any time would be instantly fatal, which is not the case - the whole machine can fly one one engine if necessary

Cookie Cutter has issued a correction as of 11:56 on Dec 8, 2022

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cookie Cutter posted:

This part doesn't quite track, I'm sure the rest of the anecdote is sound, but on a tandem-rotor helicopter like CH46/47, the power train is not "one engine per rotor", the rotors are physically linked through a transmission and gearbox that is supplied by both engines, it's not possible for one rotor to spin and the other to remain static, in fact if there is any desychronisation between rotors the airframe can tear itself to pieces via the buildup of harmonics, or the rotors colliding with each other. A twitchy rookie shutting down an engine for no reason during a cargo operation over a fuel dump is certainly something you'd want to avoid, but it wouldn't cause the helicopter to tilt over out of the sky. If this was true then shutting down an engine mid-flight at any time would be instantly fatal, which is not the case - the whole machine can fly one one engine if necessary

thanks for the clarification, duder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Saying what you need to to prevent an idiot from flipping a switch at a bad time goes back to time immemorial.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:49 on Dec 8, 2022