Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Some of these full arts kick rear end. That WGD is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Force of Will is a Real Card

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

whydirt posted:

Full list of Dominaria Remastered is up: https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/card-image-gallery/dominaria-remastered

Looks to be a boring draft set from my first look, but maybe I'll be surprised.

Flanking makes its triumphant comeback baybay!! :dance:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
These sets are usually pretty fun to draft but it's bullshit that they are going to cost like 50 bucks a draft or more too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was going to complain about Vampiric being the only one in the cycle at Mythic, but I guess it being the rarer one goes back to the first printing?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

How you gonna do my boy Sol'Kanar dirty by printing him with new art

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah the cards look really good and that's why it will be overpriced and underprinted. I can't wait for high-quality scans of those RKF tutors to hit so I can order some proxies to replace my current ones.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol i thought 180 was nuts when i saw them for preorder a month ago or whatever but now theyre nearly 300 bucks? is this normal in Magic sets? I was hoping we'd be drafting this set once it was out and BRO is a bit stale but lol feel like the store will maybe do it once at double price and never again at this rate.

what i the price that is "fair"/lowest for this and if that window hasn't passed, when would it be to grab a box? if that window already passed, is every upcoming set just a price gamble, no notion of oh hey each noew set is 120 bucks, instead its just another gamble you might buy early and get a "discount" for or be left having paid extra for something that drops immediately?

good game but this business model is twisted

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Reprint FoW at uncommon, cowards!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It is so egregious. Reprint sets take significantly less investment into art and design to make, but then they cost a bunch more.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Wow. There are a lot of time spiral reprints there I wasn't expecting.

Also.. Force of Will? Jesus.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Did wizards do the fireside chat yet?

Edit: and if so what did they say in it?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Cloud of Faeries! Love that card.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Mezzanon posted:

Did wizards do the fireside chat yet?

Edit: and if so what did they say in it?

Tomorrow 11:00 EST

https://investor.hasbro.com/events/event-details/ubs-fireside-chat

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

lol i thought 180 was nuts when i saw them for preorder a month ago or whatever but now theyre nearly 300 bucks? is this normal in Magic sets? I was hoping we'd be drafting this set once it was out and BRO is a bit stale but lol feel like the store will maybe do it once at double price and never again at this rate.

what i the price that is "fair"/lowest for this and if that window hasn't passed, when would it be to grab a box? if that window already passed, is every upcoming set just a price gamble, no notion of oh hey each noew set is 120 bucks, instead its just another gamble you might buy early and get a "discount" for or be left having paid extra for something that drops immediately?

good game but this business model is twisted

I already spent a ton on double masters 2 this year and got burned badly on it. I'll leave this poo poo up to the whales and just buy singles.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
turnabout, snap, cloud of faeries and high tide :allears: I guess the peregrine drake and extra turn card too or whatever.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Maybe a really dumb question, but can someone explain booster prices to me. I used to play 15ish years ago when boosters were just 5(?) bucks and iirc wizards just had a set price for a box. Now when I check amazon, all have different prices on wizard store and the price fluctuates a lot. Are they using some same system as airline tickets or something?

e: and do game stores have to deal with the same fluctuations at wizards?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they got rid of MSRP so stores can charge whatever. also they started releasing multiple different kinds of boosters, regular draft(as it was), set("fun" packs with the potential for more rares/mythics and other stuff), and collector packs(super expensive and with lots of alt arts, foils, etc in them) among other products which all have different prices.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

uncertainty posted:

Maybe a really dumb question, but can someone explain booster prices to me. I used to play 15ish years ago when boosters were just 5(?) bucks and iirc wizards just had a set price for a box. Now when I check amazon, all have different prices on wizard store and the price fluctuates a lot. Are they using some same system as airline tickets or something?

e: and do game stores have to deal with the same fluctuations at wizards?

Standard set booster packs are still 4-5 bucks. It's all these supplemental products that are all over the place.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Thanks, was looking into dominaria remastered to draft with friends, but 280 is way too much for that. I don't really like this change, it makes me feel like I should keep track of the financial side of mtg, something I really don't want to!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

uncertainty posted:

Maybe a really dumb question, but can someone explain booster prices to me.

By design, no.

They've really gone out of their way to make it feel like you're missing out on something at all times, and so there are just a ton of different products (even within the same set) at different prices.

Draft boosters, set boosters and collector boosters are 3 progressively more expensive booster types that exist now, but there are so many supplemental products that the waters are just totally murky.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

horseshoe crab + hermetic study at common? lets go

edit: lmfao at spiritmonger at uncommon, thats so cool

Big Ol Marsh Pussy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 8, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Framboise posted:

I already spent a ton on double masters 2 this year and got burned badly on it. I'll leave this poo poo up to the whales and just buy singles.

Yeah I hear ya for when I need singles but I'm a new Magic player and I love draft so I'm always wishing I got to draft these old sets I buy singles from for my commander decks. This isn't an old set, but it's made up of both a ton of old cards I definitely know of and want, but also a bunch of weird ones I haven't that I probably don't want in my decks necessarily, but do want to get to play with. I don't have enough dedicated magic friends to host full draft but 4 or so of us do winston drafts and stuff, they got so burned out they don't split boxes to play for stakes but just friendly play with my cards, crack em and get some games out of em at least. 300 hundred feels like too much for a couple nights of fun lol.

Speaking of old drafts, why doesn't Arena let you draft whatever old sets they have programmed in? The economy is so obtuse I can't tell if draft are the more cost-effective way to get cards or not, but opening a booster irl already kinda sucks but online it's a total joke, buncha poo poo you can't even own, and they're bizarrely stingy about how many you even get in a pack. I'm guessing they are and that's why they want you to buy old booster packs from the store to just dump into your collection.

Arena in general has a real problem not letting you do what you want to do. Like any time they have a fun event or draft or little twist on the rules or whatever, it's there for a random amount of time and then gone for a random amount of time.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
They don't have enough players to offer that many queues without huge wait times.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Usually they have one flashback draft queue going at at time in the last month or two of a format - I’d love it if you could manually assemble a draft pod in arena to play whatever formats they have though

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Where are y'all seeing 280 or 300? There are loads on tcgplayer right now at 215

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Speaking of old drafts, why doesn't Arena let you draft whatever old sets they have programmed in? The economy is so obtuse I can't tell if draft are the more cost-effective way to get cards or not, but opening a booster irl already kinda sucks but online it's a total joke, buncha poo poo you can't even own, and they're bizarrely stingy about how many you even get in a pack. I'm guessing they are and that's why they want you to buy old booster packs from the store to just dump into your collection.

Arena in general has a real problem not letting you do what you want to do. Like any time they have a fun event or draft or little twist on the rules or whatever, it's there for a random amount of time and then gone for a random amount of time.

For BRO, since it has the 'golden packs', for an average drafter drafting and opening store packs is about the same overall cost, for older sets without them yet, an average drafter (ignoring the time investment, if you like drafting or not, etc.) will do a bit better drafting.

As far as the latter goes, it's all about FOMO. There's no physical scarcity so the combination of making sure queue times aren't horrid and using the fear of missing out to keep people logging in regularly results in that sort of schedule.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Assuming 50% win rate while rare drafting for collection purposes, drafting is still better than buying BRO packs in nearly all cases, except I think maybe when using gold for quick drafts, where it's roughly equal.

This is because quick drafts have the worst value since more of their cost is in the draft packs instead of prize pool, and spending gold is worse value for drafts compared to gems. The purchase of most items on arena is at a rate of 1k gold to 200 gems, while for draft it's 10k gold to 1.5k gems.

Algid fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 8, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Where the gently caress are the Homarids and Thrulls in this "expertly curated" reprint set WOTC??? :mad:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

How long does it take for TCGPlayer to process orders usually?

I've only ever ordered once from them before for a couple $50 cards, but placed a fairly large order earlier this week for some xmas stuff + tribal stuff for humans and merfolk, not sure if it'll take extra long as a result considering the size plus the holidays

Sort of wish I'd gotten the expedited shipping, but for whatever reason I don't think I ever even saw the option. Maybe it's a holidays thing?

Edit: The whole order is TCGPlayer direct, which is probably important info cause I assume third party sellers might vary!
Double Edit: as always, posting about it on the internet made it immediately ship after :toot: now here's hoping it gets to me in time for xmas. It's literally in the same state so it should!

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 8, 2022

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Weird Pumpkin posted:

How long does it take for TCGPlayer to process orders usually?

I've only ever ordered once from them before for a couple $50 cards, but placed a fairly large order earlier this week for some xmas stuff + tribal stuff for humans and merfolk, not sure if it'll take extra long as a result considering the size plus the holidays

Sort of wish I'd gotten the expedited shipping, but for whatever reason I don't think I ever even saw the option. Maybe it's a holidays thing?

Edit: The whole order is TCGPlayer direct, which is probably important info cause I assume third party sellers might vary!
Double Edit: as always, posting about it on the internet made it immediately ship after :toot: now here's hoping it gets to me in time for xmas. It's literally in the same state so it should!

My experience is for singles it should take about a week for normal shipping, but that's not during the holidays.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

M30 wasn’t mentioned at all in the corpocall but Warhammer and DnD sets were cranked off so that all but confirms it was a massive failure to me. No way they aren’t talking about how yooooooge it was on an investor call if their one thousand dollar set didn’t make them bank.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What call? The October 18th third quarter results? Those would not have included M30.
https://investor.hasbro.com/financial-information/quarterly-results

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

What are people even hoping to hear in this call? "yes, our evil plan to kill magic is proceeding nicely"?

Like, if its good news people will be like "ugh, magic is dying because they're focusing on things i don't like just to make money!" and if its bad news people will be like "ha! I knew it magic is dying all because they didn't listen to me!"

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

A Moose posted:

What are people even hoping to hear in this call? "yes, our evil plan to kill magic is proceeding nicely"?

Like, if its good news people will be like "ugh, magic is dying because they're focusing on things i don't like just to make money!" and if its bad news people will be like "ha! I knew it magic is dying all because they didn't listen to me!"

Nobody actually thinks this. However if you can sift through the corporate buzzwords you can understand what they deem has been successful and why. For example hooo boy Secret Lair crossovers are coming forever especially with the DnD movie. Four more LVM30-like events too next year.

They spoke a lot about recent successes like Warhammer and brought up “supply chain issues” to deflect any questions about printing quantities. They are pulling back a little in 23 however which I think we already knew but was confirmed.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 8, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Leperflesh posted:

What call? The October 18th third quarter results? Those would not have included M30.
https://investor.hasbro.com/financial-information/quarterly-results

There was a 'fireside chat' this morning. It's basically an informal presentation to shareholders to calm fears without being legally bound to reported financials.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There was a 'fireside chat' this morning. It's basically an informal presentation to shareholders to calm fears without being legally bound to reported financials.

oh I see, OK. M30 might still be too recent to include in that, so I wouldn't infer too much from it not being mentioned. Any financial results from big corporations are generally prepared and delivered a few weeks after some cutoff date. E.g. October report probably was financial results through September.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Dominaria remastered seems to have collector boosters but I'm pretty sure TS remastered didn't?

Is there anywhere that says what's in them?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Here's the breakdown.

Similar composition to DX22, but a quarter the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

weekly font posted:

M30 wasn’t mentioned at all in the corpocall but Warhammer and DnD sets were cranked off so that all but confirms it was a massive failure to me. No way they aren’t talking about how yooooooge it was on an investor call if their one thousand dollar set didn’t make them bank.

M30 wasn't ever designed to make money. It certainly wouldn't be of interest to investors. It's entirely unsurprising it wasn't mentioned to a bunch of people who would not care about it.