Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't pick "default" unless the default is very cute but also I'm not going to be weird about people who do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I think boring straight dudes should be able to play what they want to as well, was that the difference in the unquated part you're alluding to?

i think people who are boring and unexperimental with given options because they are the assumed default target of the work and as such never have to branch out to non default options should try expanding their viewpoint more. someone who is gay and wants to try to find rpgs that let them explore that is clearly not what I was talking about (they are not the assumed default) and I think trying to draw an equivalence sucks whether you're doing it intentionally or not

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Does it send that message though? People like to look like themselves in rpgs, I think the whole Baldurs Gate 3's character creation thing mentioned earlier shows this. That doesn't mean there are a ton of people who don't look like the default or like to look completely different from themselves though, right?

Is it okay to be a gay white guy and try to play a gay white character in an rpg that will let me?

I explicitly play a nonhuman cause I am one

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Alxprit posted:

It may be hard to accept, but weirdos like me who want to look as different from our actual selves as possible are an outlier, and making fun of the majority for being "wrong" (which is entirely subjective, remember) isn't going to change that. Let people do what they want, they're not hurting you by existing.

Goon Gamers are still Gamers. They're going to jeer people making decisions that they wouldn't make and don't like.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well this wouldn't be the first thing people got unreasonably weird about

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

flatluigi posted:

i think people who are boring and unexperimental with given options because they are the assumed default target of the work and as such never have to branch out to non default options should try expanding their viewpoint more. someone who is gay and wants to try to find rpgs that let them explore that is clearly not what I was talking about (they are not the assumed default) and I think trying to draw an equivalence sucks whether you're doing it intentionally or not

Okay but as a gay guy I just want to be me in an rpg. I can't give anyone poo poo for wanting to just be them in a game because that's exactly what I do.

That's my ultimate point here, people shouldn't be given poo poo for being and going with default.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I think people that make hyurs probably do still explore the options and don't just slam the accept button 0.1 seconds into the character creator. They just like what they like.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

There are really compelling reasons to go midlander. Everything looks good on their models for one, no weird clipping, texture stretching/compressing, etc. the female midlanders are super femme and also the closest you can get for wanting to create a ff protagonist inspired by many of the past ones. All glamours look good on man midlanders. It’s a good choice if you want to be the protagonist of the story in a way that may match your head canon more. idk, wish people would stop being weird and lovely in an insecure way when it comes to choices other people make in a game that you play. I am a bunny boy if that helps at all

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 7, 2022

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
You can lightly rib people for playing John Fantasy, protagonist of Final Fantasy XIV's trailers, but that's really as far as it should go, and especially these days that Derplander genuinely looks really good every time he appears (and, notably, fairly unique also! I can't recall that many jRPG protagonists that look as weather-beaten and battle-hardened as the Derplander does by Endwalker's trailer). No need to be weird about people not having the exact same tastes as you.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I went with a male elf cause I try to avoid human options but I'm not willing to get THAT wild, either.

To make up for it I feel like I channeled some serious late 80s/early 90s Gundam anime hair. Got a racing stripe down the middle.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Shinjobi posted:

I went with a male elf cause I try to avoid human options but I'm not willing to get THAT wild, either.

To make up for it I feel like I channeled some serious late 80s/early 90s Gundam anime hair. Got a racing stripe down the middle.

That sounds perfect for this game

Unrelated,

https://twitter.com/DaPandaBanda/status/1600493909557366785?t=7_2PNPdJjNWmu_OdkVp1Sw&s=19

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Judging people for their race selection in a video game is pretty inappropriate, whether they chose the default or not. It's not more "creative" to play an elf or whatever in a fantasy video game than a human, that idea is just ridiculous. Ultimately everyone is picking from a set of sliders and selections regardless. What's the point of trying to tear down someone else for representing themselves "wrong"? It's not a competition.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

if it was a competition though my hrothgar would win for being the most handsome

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My characters are lizard girl and bnnuy boi so I would absolutely win the basic bitch competition.

However, my lizard and bunny are better and much more unique than everyone else’s. Please ignore that my lizard is a pretty, feminine lady and my bun’s hair is the same as every other male bun.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i fantasia'd into a midlander lady so i could rip off someones terra glam and it owns

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Kerrzhe posted:

if it was a competition though my hrothgar would win for being the most handsome

You can't just say that without sharing!

Here's my elezen. I like using longer chest pieces with tights.

Second favorite fantasia is lalafell:

Currently midlander:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I wish I was a cute lizard girl irl

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

As far as uniqueness goes, I almost never see anyone else who uses the Windcaller hairstyle, especially not women. I think I’ve seen another miqo-F wearing it exactly once. Usually when I do see others wearing it, they’re lalafell men, oddly.

So I guess that makes me kinda unique given most miqo’te seem to use the same handful of hairstyles (for good reason, they’re awesome and lovely looking hairstyles!)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Genovera posted:

You can't just say that without sharing!

here's my most handsomest screenshot, which i took a year ago at the launch of endwalker, happy anniversary

and here's a bonus gif

https://i.imgur.com/F29yfBh.mp4

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Genovera posted:

Judging people for their race selection in a video game is pretty inappropriate, whether they chose the default or not. It's not more "creative" to play an elf or whatever in a fantasy video game than a human, that idea is just ridiculous. Ultimately everyone is picking from a set of sliders and selections regardless. What's the point of trying to tear down someone else for representing themselves "wrong"? It's not a competition.

yeah, judging other people's characters is a weird waste of time. Hell, if a server wants to be the generic human guy on the cover from top to bottom, more power to em. There are no bad decisions when it comes to character creation.

except for [insert your user name here], of course

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I cant get behind the idea of fantasia because anyone else in cutscenes looks wrong after so much time in the msq with the same catgirl.

I wouldn't judge or poo poo on someone who uses it though, you do you.

The only thing I'll judge is how good your glam game is.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Countblanc posted:

I dont play a hyur but the weird obsession people have on this forum specifically with making GBS threads on people who play the human equivalent in games is so stupid

people are insecure

(chooses option 4 instead of 1 from a list)

"I have a creative soul... not like the option 1 people..."

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I absolutely agree that the most important thing is that people play a character they feel comfortable spending a lot of time with and that we can't really know anyone so judging them for picking the "wrong" thing is hosed.

Now with that out of the way I absolutely judge people for picking Commander Sheppard McDefaultmale because the idea of not playing a cis white guy is mortifying to them, this is because judging people is fun and also pretty much an unconscious act on my part and I know my sins.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DelphiAegis posted:

I cant get behind the idea of fantasia because anyone else in cutscenes looks wrong after so much time in the msq with the same catgirl.

Yeah I’m totally cool with people who Fantasia every week and it’s fun seeing what the latest cool looking character design they’ve rolled out is, but I could never do it myself. I’ve become very attached to my WoL. I can’t even take her glasses off without her looking wrong lol.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I've got a fantasia primed all the time so I can try out changes and see if they feel right. They never do.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

TheWorldsaStage posted:

People like to look like themselves in rpgs
Would love to have data on this. Anecdotally most of the people I've talked to view their character, either in D&D or FFXIV, as someone who might act differently then themselves, even if they slip into using 'I' to refer to their character on occasion. The one person I know who has a character who is literally themselves isekaied into Eorzea is doing it as a gag on their second alt.

I've never met anyone who plays themselves in a D&D game. The one exception I know is the GURPS Riverworld supplement, which encourages the GM to have their players stat themselves up in IRL and then unceremoniously kill them off in the first few minutes of the first session.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 7, 2022

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I do think the reason I play a lot of femme characters is because I feel like I never really get the chance to explore the femme side of being non-binary irl, so ultimately I'm not gonna actively blame people for playing something "boring" because it's comfortable, because what I do is essentially related to that in some ways.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's okay to admit to just being a hater

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Transient People posted:

You can lightly rib people for playing John Fantasy, protagonist of Final Fantasy XIV's trailers, but that's really as far as it should go, and especially these days that Derplander genuinely looks really good every time he appears (and, notably, fairly unique also! I can't recall that many jRPG protagonists that look as weather-beaten and battle-hardened as the Derplander does by Endwalker's trailer). No need to be weird about people not having the exact same tastes as you.

I'm the loving weirdo that played the Mass Effect series as Generic Male Shephard.

On a level, I get it though. As a developer/artist, I would probably feel bad I made a bunch of assets and creative tools only for 90% of people to ignore it and go with the default. I don't think this is a problem in FFXIV, but it definitely is in other games. (Like Mass Effect, for example.)

Black Griffon posted:

I do think the reason I play a lot of femme characters is because I feel like I never really get the chance to explore the femme side of being non-binary irl, so ultimately I'm not gonna actively blame people for playing something "boring" because it's comfortable, because what I do is essentially related to that in some ways.

This is my approach too. I play a female highlander and I refer to my character as "I" & "me" because for me, my character is an extension of myself. I designed my WoL as "what if I could remake myself as the lady version of my personality." I'm a cisgender bisexual guy. I'm not trans. I don't really see myself as non-binary, but for me I just wanted to be able to explore such ideas.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

It's just fun to joke about straight white men being boring. Nobody actually gives a poo poo if people want to play as a human.

Unrelated, I really wish BLM shields would get the same treatment SCH shields got. I've died twice this week to what should have been recoverable events, but Manaward just keeps failing to apply in time. It sucks a lot to see your defensive abilities go on cooldown despite not actually activating before your death.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People went with Default shep cuz the ME character creator was hot garbage and anything but the default presets looked like crap most of the time. It wasn't until what, ME3? till female shep got a custom sculpted default herself even.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I remember restarting ME2 multiple times because the lighting in the character creator was garbage and I didn't realize I hosed up my characters neck/jawline/etc until I saw her in motion.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

It's just fun to joke about straight white men being boring.

Why?

E: I played default shep because 17 yo me thought Mark Vanderloo was hunky

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

It's just fun to joke about straight white men being boring. Nobody actually gives a poo poo if people want to play as a human.

I mean, yeah, this is pretty much it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

jalapeno_dude posted:

Would love to have data on this. Anecdotally most of the people I've talked to view their character, either in D&D or FFXIV, as someone who might act differently then themselves, even if they slip into using 'I' to refer to their character on occasion. The one person I know who has a character who is literally themselves isekaied into Eorzea is doing it as a gag on their second alt.

I've never met anyone who plays themselves in a D&D game. The one exception I know is the GURPS Riverworld supplement, which encourages the GM to have their players stat themselves up in IRL and then unceremoniously kill them off in the first few minutes of the first session.

It varies for me from game to game, and I can't always tell why.

First-person games like Syrim? USUALLY "me".
Third-person games? USUALLY "a character".
For games that encourage alts (WoW, SWTOR) my first one is usually the most me-like and the rest are all over the place
For FF14 my character started as my FF11 character, who was a "me", but they've been fantasia'd all over the place and I change glams/hairstyles at a whim. Usually I feel a lot more uncomfortable doing that to a character once established whether they're "me" or not. Actually, one reason I switched away from my original look was that I wasn't as comfortable messing with it as I wanted to be.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i always seem to gravitate towards short races for whatever reason. lalafells, gnomes, halflings, goblins, etc

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Kerrzhe posted:

here's my most handsomest screenshot, which i took a year ago at the launch of endwalker, happy anniversary

An excellent cat! I like that circlet with those earrings, too.

jalapeno_dude posted:

I've never met anyone who plays themselves on a D&D game. The one exception I know is the GURPS Riverworld supplement, which encourages the GM to have their players stat themselves up in IRL and then unceremoniously kill them off in the first few minutes of the first session.

My d&d characters always end up acting pretty much how I would, even though they're not meant to be exactly me. I'm terrible at roleplaying as someone with a significantly different personality and I don't particularly enjoy it, so I go with "what if me, but gnome druid pirate" or whatever.

The more I get to customize a videogame character, and the more time I spend with them, the more they are like an alternate universe version of "me".

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

People should get to play the character they want to play as without judgement (unless they're deliberately inviting judgement by grossly parodying an IRL famous person or something, I dunno).

Also don't you loving dare judge me for having That Catgirl Voice.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Look if you don’t buy a Fantasia every week to adjust individual sliders by 1 or change one option at a time are you really exploring all the options of the character editor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ngl I will immediately Fantasia when the art team finally adds a mi'qo muscle slider so my catgirl can be buff.