Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

site posted:

you could try spending five minutes to look it up i guess

Its more fun to just post than to look poo poo up, like some sort of nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

this thread has the bestupidest arguments, it owns

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

JustJeff88 posted:

Please don't condescend to me. I'm not going to plump £600 or whatever for a Steam Deck when I'm not sure of its capabilities. See my recent post about self-installing .exe files, installing from .iso files, emulation etc

Its a computer but small. It can do computer things

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Lib and let die posted:

this thread has the bestupidest arguments, it owns

no it doesn't

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

no it doesn't

goons somehow finding a way to get angry about free stuff is incredibly entertaining.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Lib and let die posted:

goons somehow finding a way to get angry about free stuff is incredibly entertaining.

Wow, way to just assume an entire group does the same thing, bigotry much??

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Welp, it stopped working for me this month. Game Pass PC shows up as $10.

Have you tried switching to ultimate?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Regrettable posted:

Have you tried switching to ultimate?

yup, full price too (i did the 3 month ultimate trial earlier this year)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Lib and let die posted:

I was just doing that old Monty Python bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDB5gbtaEQ

Goons love and hate Monty Python references because they're quite shameful but I'll do it anyway

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

JustJeff88 posted:

Please don't condescend to me. I'm not going to plump £600 or whatever for a Steam Deck when I'm not sure of its capabilities. See my recent post about self-installing .exe files, installing from .iso files, emulation etc

you said "I don't like steamdeck because idk if it can do x, y, and z"
fuzz said "yes it definitely can do x, y, and z"
then you got mad?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Switch owners are just mad that they spent way too much money on an old Android tablet with controllers that stop working if you use them.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Rinkles posted:

yup, full price too (i did the 3 month ultimate trial earlier this year)

You could use your throw away email to sign up :v:
I think I had to do that one month.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

~Coxy posted:

Switch owners are just mad that they spent way too much money on an old Android tablet with controllers that stop working if you use them.

My Switch controllers are perfectly safe. I haven’t used them in years because the games are so expensive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The General posted:

You could use your throw away email to sign up :v:
I think I had to do that one month.

no problem with reusing your credit card number? and are you saying that eventually the pricing dropped back to $1 on your original account?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Rinkles posted:

no problem with reusing your credit card number? and are you saying that eventually the pricing dropped back to $1 on your original account?

no and yes

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

~Coxy posted:

A buddy of mine got his steam deck and had to do an RMA because it arrived with a wonky joystick so my anecdotal evidence is both have terrible controllers

He might end up with two decks though since the first one went missing on the way back. Valve claims it was handed to FedEx, FedEx claims they never received it, and the tracking number just says label created.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

in "games that used to be free but aren't now but still are" news, Dwarf Fortress finally hit Steam officially.

The old versions are still free, of course.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the plan as i understand it is that "DF classic" will continue to release and keep pace with the paid steam version, just without the fancy new art and music

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the plan as i understand it is that "DF classic" will continue to release and keep pace with the paid steam version, just without the fancy new art and music

That’s nuts. Kudos on them for doing both versions concurrently.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I mean, the base game is the base game so it's not like they're developing two different games.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I mean, the base game is the base game so it's not like they're developing two different games.

Tarn Adams has been developing dwarf fortress for 20 years and for most of that he has been doing it full-time, releasing the game for free, with recurring donations as his only source of income (first paypal and later patreon).
He owns

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Tarn Adams has been developing dwarf fortress for 20 years and for most of that he has been doing it full-time, releasing the game for free, with recurring donations as his only source of income (first paypal and later patreon).
He owns

I haven't played dwarf fortress in years but I love that it exists and is essentially one man's life's work. The short documentary interview thing with him from a few years back was pretty cool.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah, the next free/classic release will come out probably alongside the next Steam release once the ASCII mode is fixed up, it'll basically be the Steam version but locked to ASCII graphics and with the old "Tarn noodling on guitar" soundtrack, meaning free players will get the nice new mouse controls. After that, updates for the free and Steam versions should be pretty much in-sync.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

More games should adopt the demo model of "you get the whole game for free but with no graphics"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

More games should adopt the demo model of "you get the whole game for free but with no graphics"

> snipe buttholeman69
> Your shot misses
> buttholeman69 calls you the n word

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1062830/view/3603473055463196366

Wishlist a game for a copy for Embr

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

First time I've seen any of these "wishlist and we'll give you something for free" require an email to be sent. Usually it's just a check against your Steam library or something

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1556712/Capcom_Arcade_StadiumFINAL_FIGHT/

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

It is pretty common to have a 'complete game for free' among roguelikes on steam, probably because of the genre's history as being mostly games that were given away for free (often open-source). Tales of Maj'Eyal does a similar thing but the free version even has the graphics, the difference is just that the steam version unlocks one character class out of 33. ADOM also has a free version with tiles and the full game, but its steam version has stuff like leaderboards and cloud saves and is potentially a few patches ahead.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

So not only do I have to give them my email, I have to send one too?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The epic store freebies are up. Saints Row 4 re-elected is an all-dlc bundle I guess? Apparently re-elected edition literally just launched now and you couldn't have bought it anywhere before they gave it away for free.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Re-Elected is what the game was released as on PS4, XBO, and Switch and this is just making all PC copies of it that

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
All of the previously owned copies of Saints Row 4 has also been upgraded to the re-elected edition on Steam with cross-play added too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oh I guess we are getting into the holiday games next week. This year Read Dead Redemption 2 is a lock, because I just bought it the other day.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

always looking for an excuse to play this one again!

I mean, claim and ignore, claim and ignore.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Tombot posted:

All of the previously owned copies of Saints Row 4 has also been upgraded to the re-elected edition on Steam with cross-play added too.

This is amazing. SR4 is one of the games I played a ton when I was first getting into weed. Like, stoned enough to be immersed to the point where the game almost feels like your reality. Just a ton of fun doing crazy superhero poo poo and palling around with Keith David.

e: quoted the wrong post

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Looks like Final Fight is free on all platforms. Just snagged it on PSN and Switch. XBL should have it free too.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1842964/Capcom_Arcade_2nd_Stadium_Street_Fighter/

Apparently free, but errors out whne I try to add it.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

The Kins posted:

Yeah, the next free/classic release will come out probably alongside the next Steam release once the ASCII mode is fixed up, it'll basically be the Steam version but locked to ASCII graphics and with the old "Tarn noodling on guitar" soundtrack, meaning free players will get the nice new mouse controls. After that, updates for the free and Steam versions should be pretty much in-sync.

Does this mean the ascii version will have the nice new menu system and actual UI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Link doesn’t work for me, just says news item does not exist.