Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I mean, it's possible they didn't actually jam reeds in there and just used the intake manifold? Still a loving waste, you can just leave the cage out and use shorter bolts, WTF!
Anyway, quick thinking on KTM's part. One more intake valve than the competition!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone at Yamaha is furious right now

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

There's a big long story and I'm not allowed to sell this bike with this head, but cool to have FOR FREE

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But wtf is it for

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
KTM addressing leaky valve seals?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well tell the story then

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

WELL TELL THE STORY THEN

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I still need cams and cam bridges from the blown up bike.

Intake cam is OK
Exhaust cam shaft (not lobe) is galled but I sanded/polished it for a while and its probably ok.

The bridges are toast. Oil starvation.

$270 buckaroos to replace. Anyway, putting it away for a while so I can keep working on the RZ.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I noticed that a lean-kind-of stumble was appearing at the beginning of what passes for a powerband on my bike, same as when I first bought it, so I changed the air filter for the first time in 10 years. It's foam, so I properly oiled it with the gooey air filter oil this time. (It seemed to come from the factory with some kind of residue on it, but I did this anyway.) Interesting transformation.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah so my ride right now is pedal bicycles because snow/ice but they have motors so I'm posting, you're not my dad.

My fast and fun e-bike has been sitting for months since the motor (geared chinese rear hub POS) was hosed, obvious ball bearing problems that I didn't dare dig in to. It's the second motor on the bike since the first one got hosed by ball bearing failure that I neglected until it took out a hall sensor which made the computer angry. Anyways, I destroyed the old very broken motor learning how to dig in deep enough, gathered courage, dug deep in the almost-working one, got to these little fuckers and replaced with new ones for a total of :20bux: in parts. Better than 300 for a third motor, also these are quality bearings that should last a little longer maybe.

It was sketchy as all hell, hydraulic press and fire was used, pot metal rotor cage flexed and came close to breaking on disassembly but I succeeded in the end with only a slightly chipped magnet in damage. Bike rides sweet again and should tide me over until moto season with a bit of luck. The root cause is likely a lovely axle seal design by the cassette tower combined with loads of brine on the bike paths but I have a half baked plan that involve hopefully non-lovely seals and the use of a lathe that might just fix it good and proper. Now I just need to replace the loving bottom bracket before those bearings seize and gently caress up the frame (that I'm sure is a tremendously stupid design because I'm dumb and bought a loving TREK). I hate road salt.

Also slavvy was right again, presta valves suck and I hate them now. Merry Christmas.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ironically I've gotten used to them nowadays, they're admittedly better when you're doing a puncture repair.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Anyone want to guess what happened on the freeway this afternoon that resulted in this?

(ignore the mask, it was supposed to protect the fairing from scratches)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beeeeeeeeeeen there.

Clutch cable snapped

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Is it the ball-end of the cable that just snaps off sometimes?

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Remy Marathe posted:

Is it the ball-end of the cable that just snaps off sometimes?

The little cylinder at the end somehow broke in half and let the cable out. But yes, that's it. The mighty TL1000S clutch spring was too much after 24 years. After about half an hour of loving around with my apparently non-existent USAA roadside assistance, I realized I was a five minute walk from Home Depot and picked up some Vise Grips.

I looked up clutch cable repair and all the videos are of people casting new ends out of plain old solder. That seems kind of insufficient, no? Anyone tried this? The one on amazon says the ends are "zinc alloy". I'm going to get that one and repair my old one... eventually.

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 27, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can get little brass cable ends and solder them on, if you do a good job they work fine but I can't speak to the longevity. Surely a tls clutch cable is still obtainable through Suzuki.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

This is why the first thing I've always done when I've purchased a used motorcycle is bought a new clutch cable and installed it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

You can get little brass cable ends and solder them on, if you do a good job they work fine but I can't speak to the longevity. Surely a tls clutch cable is still obtainable through Suzuki.

and if it's not you can probably get one made without too much difficulty

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
It was 50 degrees (10C) today and poured rain last night washing all the roads clean, so I rode the FZ6 around for a bit then came back to wash it and work on the Elefant.

Finally felt like I could take it for a spin around the block so I threw the tank and seat on, fired it up and clicked it into first, where it promptly lurched forward and stalled. Rolled it back into the garage for new clutch fluid/bleed. After that I had to get back to house projects.

Next decent day maybe I’ll finally ride the drat thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Congratulations on your new oberon clutch slave cylinder!

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

It has a Yoyodyne slave on it currently so I don’t think that’s going to be an issue, I think it was just lots of air in the line. Tomorrow looks dry and still warm enough so I’ll find out then!

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

What did you do to your ride today? Rode it! For the first time since buying it in September I rode the Elefant. Took it around the block a few times, then brought it back in to put the bodywork on and take it for a longer ride.

What a fun bike! Feels like the big tall heavy beast that it is when you first get on, but once it’s moving it handles fine. Even at parking lot speeds it’s pretty nimble. Can’t wait to try it on some of the local dirt trails this spring.

And that engine :stare:. I now want a first gen monster or 900ss to go with it.

As for remaining work, it doesn’t find neutral easily with the engine running but clicks in fine when shut off. Brakes will need to be done soon, but they’re functional for now. Other than that there’s a broken windscreen and front fender/fork guard to sort out, and other small things like that.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Invalido posted:

Yeah so my ride right now is pedal bicycles because snow/ice but they have motors so I'm posting, you're not my dad.

The other e-bike that is technically a motorcycle or at least a moped according to the law has become increasingly corroded and rotten so I'm overhauling it. It's an antique steel framed SCO Long John, a Danish bakfiets style cargo bike built sometime in the 1950's to 1980's, no idea when. I've had it for most of my adult life and my kids more or less grew up in its box so it has sentimental value. It's my bike of Theseus. After this overhaul is finished there won't be any original parts or paint still on it except for the parts of the frame that are still unmodified or unrepaired.

Corrosion and broken frame. It has broken several times before. Those ugly patches are the very first MIG welds I ever did in my life with an anemic single phase flux core machine. I have better tools now though I'm still a lovely welder.
I sourced the right kind of steel tube, bent some up with the torch just before running out of oxygen on the second try. Then I cut out the lovely metal out and did the repair. Also added reinforcement so the frame breaks somewhere else next time.

I also added some hardpoints for the new cargo box/center stand contraption that's coming after paint.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Replaced the front brake line on the Ninja 400 with steel braided ones. Biggest project I've tackled myself so far.

New lines feel way less mushy. Went over to a parking lot after putting the fairings back on and triggered ABS a few times, nothing broken there and no leaks after watching it for a couple days now.

Hardest part was working with the ABS block connections, which are under the fuel tank and why the tank had to come off. A little cramped and I couldn't get any leverage in there without picking up a joint socket set, had to use the smallest one as nothing else would fit under there.

Also replaced the original air filter at 8,500 miles since the tank was off anyway and it was coming up.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I installed the new clutch cable on the TLS. The only real rear end-pain was figuring out if the clutch end of the cable really an truly required bending a tab to get it free, or if I was missing something. The manual doesn't say, but I found a prehistoric forum post indicating that bending was the correct procedure. Which sucks because it was apparent that the next time the tab needs bending, it will break.

Pro tip: I tied some twine to the old cable before pulling it out, which made routing the new one a snap.

I also rewired the taillight to the Goldwing. The wires fell apart at night on the freeway back around Thanksgiving, which was not great. I think it was incorrectly wired anyway. So having a working running light now and brake light is nice.

Now for a celebratory ride!

Hey guess how far away from home I was when the sun went down and my headlight didn't work? (I swear it worked when I left. I made it home, but it was ugly.)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I dumped another 4.5 gallons of gas into mine and rode to work two days last week. Next week looking good too.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
The layers of ratbike poo poo on this thing just never end. So the Goldwing headlight problem? Well I found the blown fuse. But it's not the headlight fuse, it's the taillight fuse. So I replace it and everything lights up. Then I look closely and see the glass is starting to fog in the fuse; I cut the lights and touch the fuse- it's hot. The loving headlight is wired through the tail light fuse. Now I find a wiring diagram and start tracing the circuit. I can't find the headlight switch. Some more GIS work and I can see that Aspencades DON"T HAVE A HEADLIGHT SWITCH IN THE FAIRING. The PO added the headlight switch and loving hooked it up to the tail lights. Which probably explains why it's dim also.

TL;DR: :psyboom:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Next you get to find out what kind of problem he thought he was bypassing by putting the switch in

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep, fixing it will reveal the next problem down the line.

The good news is it’s an old Honda, so you’ll eventually get to the end of that chain of problems.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yep, fixing it will reveal the next problem down the line.

The good news is it’s an old Honda, so you’ll eventually get to the end of that chain of problems.

Lol meanwhile an old Ducati is an ouroboros of issues where fixing the last one happens just in time for the first thing you fixed to break again

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bike of Theseus

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
There was obvious trauma to the original wiring, but I don't know why. As usual, I've had the bike long enough that I'm my own previous owner, because the soldering job that joined the wires is mine, from 12 years ago. However I'm confident I was just redoing the circuit that was there when I found it. I just didn't realize I was carefully reconstructing an existing error.

Given the state of the tail light wires, I suspect that there was a short back there at some point that burned out part of the fuse box area.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You either die with an unmodified bike, or live long enough to become your own PO

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
idk maybe I'm getting older but I am coming to really appreciate a stock bike where everything just works and fits together.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You either die with an unmodified bike, or live long enough to become your own PO

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

idk maybe I'm getting older but I am coming to really appreciate a stock bike where everything just works and fits together.

/me pointing to garage full of janky-but-cool British sports cars "I learned it from you dad!"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

This makes sense because I've found being a mechanic is a form of accelerated ageing

When I work on a 10yo bike with all the fairing screws still original I cry a little

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s just a time thing for me these days. I used to have time to pick up a $200 hunk of junk on Craigslist and fix it up, but these days that process would take me a decade.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
It works for me because for reasons I won't get into I can't actually go out and ride almost ever. That might change later this year, but right now the best I can do is ride around the block a few times per month. I have bikes that work just fine, but I can't ride them either. So I post periodically about poo poo going wrong with the project bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Today I fitted a replacement carb to a gn125 because someone stole it out of the bike in a carpark