Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Disco Pope posted:

Nah, if your song is over 3.40 you better have a good reason for thinking you deserve my attention.

Oh there's a solo? No one enjoys that except the guitarist. They can have 16 bars max.

wtf the guitar solo is your reward for sticking around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

credburn posted:

I agree with you, though Mark Knopfler himself omits it in live performances.

My peeve on this is that radios here (likely elsewhere too) omit the entire verse instead of just bleeping out the F-slur itself, which is stupid as hell IMHO. Even worse are the ones who edit swear words/slurs in songs to play backwards & it sounds like garbage. Just bleep or mute the bad word, it's not that difficult!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Muting it is the worst, cutting the verse would be better.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

Muting it is the worst, cutting the verse would be better.

They've already got him saying "yo-yo" elsewhere in the song. It scans; just copy+paste it over the bad word.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

credburn posted:

They've already got him saying "yo-yo" elsewhere in the song. It scans; just copy+paste it over the bad word.

This is how radio edits should work. Replace the offending word with Mark Knopfler saying “yo-yo”

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS, LARRY? YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FIND A STRANGER IN THE ALPS?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the whole "blow it out your rear end" scene in the great outdoors with John Candy was changed for TV to a really bad overdub of "blow it out your kazoo"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aramek posted:

YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS, LARRY? YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FIND A STRANGER IN THE ALPS?

Yippie ki-yay, Mr. Falcon.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

Being warm is low key goated a f

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

Yippie ki-yay, Mr. Falcon.

This was what was actually on the sandwich board Bruce Willis wore in Die Hard with a Vengeance

no lie

they altered it after the fact because it was so loving offensive you can see the markings for the CG team to paste over it

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

This was what was actually on the sandwich board Bruce Willis wore in Die Hard with a Vengeance

no lie

they altered it after the fact because it was so loving offensive you can see the markings for the CG team to paste over it

Oh wow! That's really interesting! The first time I saw this movie was on television and it wasn't until years later I saw the theatrical version. Naturally I assumed the editing was in reverse.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hey that guy says he hates everybody! Which includes me! Let’s get him!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gripweed posted:

Being warm is low key goated a f

I like to be cold. It's kind of a distraction that overrides your brain when you're shivering so you only think about that instead of all the other stuff you'd be thinking about if you were comfortable.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Kelsey Grammer was never funny and Ted Danson only landed in The Good Place. Get these dreadful morons out of my sitcoms.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kelsey Grammer was never funny and Ted Danson only landed in The Good Place. Get these dreadful morons out of my sitcoms.

Grammer is the butt of all the jokes in Frasier. He's not funny but the writers abusing him is.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Weird Al already solved the Money For Nothing problem.

That little Clampett got his own cement pond
That little Clampett he's a millionaire

Works for me if it's on the radio or something.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Grammer is the butt of all the jokes in Frasier. He's not funny but the writers abusing him is.

Are you saying Kelsey Grammer the person isn’t funny and the butt of the jokes or that Frasier Crane isn’t funny and the butt of the jokes?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

oldpainless posted:

Are you saying Kelsey Grammer the person isn’t funny and the butt of the jokes or that Frasier Crane isn’t funny and the butt of the jokes?

I just don't know anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv1LqFCuwPk

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kelsey Grammer was never funny and Ted Danson only landed in The Good Place.
It's been over ten years since I watched it, but I remember liking Bored to Death. :shrug:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm not sure what to call it but the entire genre of media focused entirely on dumping on the main character is hack trash

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Family Guy should be in Kingdom Hearts.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The sacrifice bunt is the greatest play in all sports because everyone on both sides get to clap afterwards.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Sideshow Bob stepping on all the rakes is an excellent example of this very point.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It should be legal for artists to write off gifts to their mistress on their taxes as business expenses, as long as they legally declare their mistress as their muse.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've never quite understood the fascination with regdates here for some people . It seems like the SA equivalent of Reddit's "cake days" thing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Dec 11, 2022

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Gripweed posted:

It should be legal for artists to write off gifts to their mistress on their taxes as business expenses, as long as they legally declare their mistress as their muse.

No, because all tax write offs should be eliminated. Fully endorse having a muse though, or just enjoying eating rear end etc. and through that joy in life you write something.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

doverhog posted:

No, because all tax write offs should be eliminated. Fully endorse having a muse though, or just enjoying eating rear end etc. and through that joy in life you write something.

Tax write offs are important and I’d rather they be a bit abusable instead of deeply punitive

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
What do you mean? Why are tax write offs important, instead of a tax system that has no write offs or loop holes and thus less room for grift, tax dodging, etc.?

Taxes are collected for our common good, and to seek to avoid them is a red flag.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

doverhog posted:

What do you mean? Why are tax write offs important, instead of a tax system that has no write offs or loop holes and thus less room for grift, tax dodging, etc.?

Taxes are collected for our common good, and to seek to avoid them is a red flag.

If you buy $50 worth of wood, and use it to build a cabinet that you sell for $150, should you be taxed on the $100 profit that you made or on the entire $150 sale price?

If you answered the former, that's literally what tax write offs are for. You report your gross income and write off your expenses to arrive at taxable income.

If you answered the latter, then consider if you sold the cabinet to a friend and only charged them the $50 cost of the material as a favor. You have made no profit and now owe taxes on your good deed.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Say you work as a YouTube reviewer, and part of your job involves watching old Criterion movies and making videos about them. I think you should be able to list your subscription to Criterion as a business expense. It’s a necessity for your channel to operate as it does, and it’s not an unusual expense for your line of work.

Or say you work as an accountant for an electronics store. Last year there was a number of stores that had a mob of people show up and do a mass smash and grab. You should be able to right off the lost product and the lost days of business because of others’ malicious actions.

It’s just sensible tax policy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I should be allowed to directly allocate where my tax dollars are and are not spent.

"But what if bad people do this-" I didn't say bad people, I said me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've never quite understood the fascination with regdates here for some people . It seems like the SA equivalent of Reddit's "cake days" thing.

Because I want to prove I was there.

Man if you saw my original regdate you would be so fuckin impressed

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

credburn posted:

Because I want to prove I was there.

Man if you saw my original regdate you would be so fuckin impressed

Well, I am a bit bummed that some of the legendary moments - Groverhaus, P-P-Powerbook, Gorgeous George - happened long before I was even aware of SA.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Well, I am a bit bummed that some of the legendary moments - Groverhaus, P-P-Powerbook, Gorgeous George - happened long before I was even aware of SA.

make your own legends

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

docbeard posted:

I should be allowed to directly allocate where my tax dollars are and are not spent.

This but you can't utilize things you don't pay for. Social services and roads please. It won't hurt my feelings if the army doesn't protect freedom in my name.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I remember a few of those, but keyboard goop is the really memorable one for me and I don't see it mentioned often.

Ground floor. Whoa. :aaaaa:

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Dec 12, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

docbeard posted:

Well I'm sure you'll do fine.

Arizona's stated purpose for their tax has created a scenario where at least some of your taxes can be allocated to what you want in the sense that you make a donation and get a tax credit for that donation up to $200. It contributes to underfunded schools because money that went to them is now going elsewhere because it turns out no one donates to public schools unless their kids go there. But I imagine it does help general charitable giving. Maybe?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Rick posted:

Well I'm sure you'll do fine.

I definitely won't. I would go mad with power for about six months and then get bored and nothing would ever get done.

I still feel this is superior to the status quo.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Atticus_1354 posted:

This but you can't utilize things you don't pay for. Social services and roads please. It won't hurt my feelings if the army doesn't protect freedom in my name.

I was actually thinking of something like this a couple weeks back. Basically overhaul our tax/IRS system so it's like the European countries who send you the info & basically say "do you agree? sign here". Get rid of the bullshit tax companies/lobbyists altogether, no more third parties getting involved. Then, when the forms/info get sent out before tax time, include a breakdown & options:

- Total % of your check going to state/federal taxes
- Individual breakdowns of both to show what programs your taxes are paying for

Then from there, let people choose & reallocate what they want, with the caveat that not paying for certain services means you won't get to use them (e.g. you can "opt out" of something like Social Security & keep the money/reallocate elsewhere, but that means forfeiting SS benefits). Imagine how much that money would shift if people could say "yeah, gently caress spending billions on the military, let's move this to other programs like schools, housing, etc."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I was actually thinking of something like this a couple weeks back. Basically overhaul our tax/IRS system so it's like the European countries who send you the info & basically say "do you agree? sign here". Get rid of the bullshit tax companies/lobbyists altogether, no more third parties getting involved. Then, when the forms/info get sent out before tax time, include a breakdown & options:

- Total % of your check going to state/federal taxes
- Individual breakdowns of both to show what programs your taxes are paying for

Then from there, let people choose & reallocate what they want, with the caveat that not paying for certain services means you won't get to use them (e.g. you can "opt out" of something like Social Security & keep the money/reallocate elsewhere, but that means forfeiting SS benefits). Imagine how much that money would shift if people could say "yeah, gently caress spending billions on the military, let's move this to other programs like schools, housing, etc."

Have you considered that TurboTax and others finance the campaigns of several senators and representatives though??