Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

anakha posted:

WTF darts are so much easier now that you just need to use buttons to aim and throw rather than rely on controller motion on the PS4.

you could always use the sticks and buttons they just didn't actually put it in the UI prompt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

anakha posted:

WTF darts are so much easier now that you just need to use buttons to aim and throw rather than rely on controller motion on the PS4.

...what?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The in-game instructions in the PS4 version of Royal tell you to use controller motion to aim and throw.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you could always use the sticks and buttons they just didn't actually put it in the UI prompt

:wtc:

I'm gonna have to dig up my PS4 disk and check this. That's poo poo design if the game doesn't tell you the alternative control options.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
You could always use the X button to confirm/throw despite the game not telling you that, but aiming was only motion controls in the PS4 version, .

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
im on the switch and it told me to use motion.

are you telling me i don't?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
drat, it was a bit touch and go but I managed to get all my Social Links maxed and the third Personas for everyone. I can finally finish the game!

I suppose I could also go for the big fishing thing but fishing is annoying. Read all the books and watched the DVDs but didn't play the games because why would I play a game within a game????

Does Akechi get a Persona upgrade or will he permanently be Loki?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Only if you gave him very specific answers during his Rank 7/8 Confidant scenes. Otherwise it's permanently missed.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

drat, it was a bit touch and go but I managed to get all my Social Links maxed and the third Personas for everyone. I can finally finish the game!

I suppose I could also go for the big fishing thing but fishing is annoying. Read all the books and watched the DVDs but didn't play the games because why would I play a game within a game????

He does, but only if you chose a specific option during his Rank 8, and only after the last calling card.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah drat, hope I made the right choice then,

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man, palace 5's boss Okumura is one heck of a fight in Royal huh? I can see why people swap it to Merciless for it

I only had the enemies reset once, but I had to burn through some serious elemental items to get the max baton pass in order to have enough damage to close it. And I still didn't finish the Haru-bot before it went off, dunno if that's an achievement or if anything special happens if you do.

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 9, 2022

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So persona 4 is basically an all-timer right? I goddamn loved this game. Hell I immediately started a NG+ which is unheard of for me, especially immediately after beating something.

Can’t wait to play 5 once I move on.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I finished Pokemon and now I'm Ng+ on p5r to try and max everything in one run

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

man nurse posted:

So persona 4 is basically an all-timer right? I goddamn loved this game. Hell I immediately started a NG+ which is unheard of for me, especially immediately after beating something.

P4 is indeed one of the best JRPGs you'll probably ever play, in spite of its many flaws.

Can't guarantee you'll also like 5. Feels like there's a bit of a rivalry between each fandom of the Nu Persona games since they aren't quite identical in tone or characters. But that doesn't mean you'll hate it either, of course. It's just...different.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

man nurse posted:

Good news every other game in the series is better than 4

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I played p4G before p5r (and smt 4 before both)
And I gotta say that p5r is everything I liked in p4g taken up another level. Both have weak writing in places but are still very good.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Gaius Marius posted:

Agreed, at least for Personas 2-5 I think 4 is my least favorite. Playing through 1 now, which I think will be my least favorite due to age and mechanical issues, but I'll give that a pass.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Royal really is easy lmao, just did Madarames palace in the minimum number of trips and didn't even use any SP items

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Splitting palaces over multiple days makes them more fun anyway. The opportunity cost of a single extra day is really not that big, especially now that you can raise your stats at Leblanc on a mission day right out the gate.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

precision posted:

Royal really is easy lmao, just did Madarames palace in the minimum number of trips and didn't even use any SP items

Somehow the average level of players at the point I'm at in the game is 47 and I'm 45. The palace I just completed had a max enemy level in it (like, the "glowing red ultra hard enemies") of 44

I dunno if it's just the existence of the XP accessory or something, but holy moly is it easy to get hilariously over levelled. I was instakilling enemies in the earlier parts of the palace

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, I wasn't even trying, his palace was way more short than in vanilla it felt like

Man, the guys in 5 are lame. Ryuji is like Worse Kanji and Yusuku is just ugh

There isn't really a brosuke type ):

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yusuke is actually amazing once you just get past his interactions with Ann in his introduction (which are intended to read as oblivious rather than creepy, even if they fall short in that regard).

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

precision posted:

Yeah, I wasn't even trying, his palace was way more short than in vanilla it felt like

Man, the guys in 5 are lame. Ryuji is like Worse Kanji and Yusuku is just ugh

There isn't really a brosuke type ):

Yosuke is actually quite disliked at least among the western fandom for LGBTQ reasons. Ryuji on the other hand is the bro-est of bros despite his frequent attacks of Plot Dumbass Syndrome.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yosuke starts off fine but he backslides hard as the game goes on, particularly once Kanji shows up and he just goes full tilt into his weird homphobia.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I couldn't stand Ryuji in P5 but I'm liking him a lot more now that I'm almost finished with Strikers. Game does a lot to sand down the more irritating aspects of the phantom thieves. Ryuji isn't as much of a loud, annoying idiot who fucks up everything. Makoto is less of a stick-in-the-mud. Haru has more of a personality. Morgana only says "Lady Ann" once 3 hours instead of once every 3 minutes. The new characters are also great.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
endless yosuke homophobia debates, this thread really does just discuss the same stuff over and over again.

I think persona 4 is by far the best persona game.

I'm finally at the royal content of 5, and it's pretty great. I wish the rest of the game had lived up to this level of writing. it is kind've taken down by the giant plot hole in the villains plans, but it's pretty enjoyable.

plot hole: what if people have conflicting desires? 2 people can't both get a gold medal. also, the thieves break out of it too easily. it'd be cool if it was only the level 10 slink ones, or if one is permanently lost to you. that'd be cool if you're really anti social its just you, sumire, and akechi at the end. Also, how did akechi survive shido's palace???

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mirello posted:

plot hole: what if people have conflicting desires? 2 people can't both get a gold medal. also, the thieves break out of it too easily. it'd be cool if it was only the level 10 slink ones, or if one is permanently lost to you. that'd be cool if you're really anti social its just you, sumire, and akechi at the end. Also, how did akechi survive shido's palace???

Then Maruki will make the decision of who should get it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
IIRC there's a throwaway line about (Royal) Maruki vetting desires and only fulfilling ones that do no harm, so if you want your boss to drop dead or your crush to dump her boyfriend and get with you or whatever, you're SOL and he'll get you something else nice. But also there's news stories and background chatter of everybody winning the lottery and getting promotions at work, so I wholly believe that in the Marukiverse there are as many gold medals as there are people who want one. I don't think that's a plot hole so much as it is the game choosing not to dwell on the ways in which Maruki's world is untenable and just letting it be background noise.

dw about akechi he probably just used his cat-like reflexes to jump out at the last minute

Also hard disagree on the losing party members stuff, because I shamefully never got to the end of Futaba's confidant and it would both really suck to not have Futaba and be an extremely different world state if she stuck to her alternate reality.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 8, 2022

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

IIRC there's a throwaway line about (Royal) Maruki vetting desires and only fulfilling ones that do no harm, so if you want your boss to drop dead or your crush to dump her boyfriend and get with you or whatever, you're SOL and he'll get you something else nice. But also there's news stories and background chatter of everybody winning the lottery and getting promotions at work, so I wholly believe that in the Marukiverse there are as many gold medals as there are people who want one. I don't think that's a plot hole so much as it is the game choosing not to dwell on the ways in which Maruki's world is untenable and just letting it be background noise.

dw about akechi he probably just used his cat-like reflexes to jump out at the last minute

Also hard disagree on the losing party members stuff, because I shamefully never got to the end of Futaba's confidant and it would both really suck to not have Futaba and be an extremely different world state if she stuck to her alternate reality.

interesting that you bring her up if any of the characters should side with maruki, it's her. her greatest desire is her mom coming back, she's the most emotionally immature, and the craziest thing is how buddy buddy she is with akechi, the guy who murdered her mom! I've always thought that, the very worst writing in p5 is how haru and futaba don't really take it out on akechi once they realize he's the culprit, but at least in the base game, they're kind of hiding their real feelings / double crossing him. in royal, he's friends with everyone! the guy who killed your parents in cold blood! nuts man. I really like his character, but his actions really aren't given the weight they should be

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I may have forgotten some interaction, but IIRC they deliberately avoid having Haru or Futaba say anything nice to Akechi or interact with him at all when it's not strictly necessary. It may not be given the weight it deserves, but they haven't forgotten!

...Well, outside of Futaba's battle commentary being the exact same for Crow as it was in vanilla, that is a bit jarring.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Gaius Marius posted:

Good god, how is it possible to be this incorrect, lmao.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Maruki grants the specific desires of the phantom thieves as they express to him in their therapy sessions, partly because he actually knows their desires as a result and because he's grateful to them for helping him realize his power and vision. For everybody who is not the phantom thieves, he sucks up their shadow from Mementos and puts them through a battery of psychological test to see if they conform to his values and worldview or not, and if they don't brainwashes their shadow until they do. They're then dropped back into Maruki's "perfect" reality not caring about their issues, but not necessarily having those issues solved. Like Ryuji as a phantom thief gets a perfect life where he gets to be a track superstar and go on to get a scholarship, but all the rando track team people who might not be great at track just get made to decide eh it's not worth it, don't push something you're not all that good at because it's easier that way. Maruki's world is just the world Yaldy wanted to make, slapped with a particularly insidious coat of paint.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Mirello posted:

plot hole: Also, how did akechi survive shido's palace???

Without getting into any details - this is actually explained.

EDIT: end game spoilers no wait, poo poo I forgot that he shows up alive in a cutscene at the very end. No idea then.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 8, 2022

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I may have forgotten some interaction, but IIRC they deliberately avoid having Haru or Futaba say anything nice to Akechi or interact with him at all when it's not strictly necessary. It may not be given the weight it deserves, but they haven't forgotten!

...Well, outside of Futaba's battle commentary being the exact same for Crow as it was in vanilla, that is a bit jarring.

3rd Semester Mementos dialogue had some weirdness where Futaba and Haru seem surprisingly chill with Akechi, but Ryuji and Yusuke are more hostile for no reason.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
He does? I thought he didn't survive in any reality where Miruki doesn't res him. Isn't that one of the reasons you're in jail once you finish Miruki's palace? Because he's dead and couldn't fill in the details of Shido's case?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

there's also the bit where they make the decision whether or not to cooperate with Akechi and everyone just kind of silently turns to Haru/Futaba, which I thought was a nice touch

Sillipenda
May 22, 2007
Royal Ending spoilers: There is a short shot of someone in Akechi's uniform during Royals ending. You can take it as him surviving. I think you could fill the hole if you think of it similar to Morgana and Teddie. Cognitive beings that had Persona's, so they are able to bring themselves into reality from the shadow worlds.

Sillipenda fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 8, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HootTheOwl posted:

He does? I thought he didn't survive in any reality where Miruki doesn't res him. Isn't that one of the reasons you're in jail once you finish Miruki's palace? Because he's dead and couldn't fill in the details of Shido's case?

It's never been explicitly confirmed if the real Akechi survived or not. Word of god is that even Markuki doesn't really know, he just looked inside Joker's heart using his powers and saw the events that went down in Shido's palace and assumed from that Akechi was dead. I think it's safe to assume the Akechi who shows up to initially take Joker's place on Christmas and the one you run around with in the third semester is a version of Akechi created by Maruki who vanishes along with his reality, but none of that precludes that "real" Akechi still being alive and laying low somewhere.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mirello posted:

plot hole: Also, how did akechi survive shido's palace???

He had a Goho-M *shrug*

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it would be polite to mark posts with spoilers for the Royal ending stuff as such, given that the conversation was started by someone still playing through that storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mirello posted:

plot hole: what if people have conflicting desires? 2 people can't both get a gold medal.

theres double Olympics