Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Albus recruited, trained and frequently deployed a child soldier (I am assuming Anne is a child)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Anne is 14, you tell me if that counts as child soldier :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think irene, ray, sion and anne are the only members who never did anything wrong. the majority of the playable characters are pretty unsavory to varying degrees.

Albus's only crime that I can think of is "tries too hard to save people to the point where he unnecessarily puts himself and by extension his employees at risk".

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

The fact that they never really dig into the whole "yeah I've got a 14 year old throwing magical starlight at vicious criminals instead of going to school" always kinda made me scratch my head a bit.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

One thing that sold me on Albus's character is that one of the shopkeepers mentions an illegal black market and Albus privately thinks about going to check it out for useful equipment. He only presents himself as a boyscout, but he really isn't.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Ray is an illegal graffiti artist, she’s no angel

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Irene was a vigilante and Sion abuses his fame at restaurants

Verdict: GUILLOTINE

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vengarr posted:

Ray is an illegal graffiti artist, she’s no angel

Also she refuses to cooperate with the police despite being an immigrant who has only been mistreated by authorities and the social structure of Valhalla.

I think Albus' true colours are first shown when he tells Don that he will only help defend Silverlining if the rent is lowered.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Hipster Occultist posted:

The fact that they never really dig into the whole "yeah I've got a 14 year old throwing magical starlight at vicious criminals instead of going to school" always kinda made me scratch my head a bit.

Now, now, she does that in ADDITION to going to school. Sometimes her office chatter mentions school.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Honestly I'm more impressed the devs put her in a parka instead of in a skimpy outfit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

She still goes to school.

Anne is a bit of a special case where literally everyone says "no you don't need to do this", but her powers are so rare and useful that no one is really going to say no too firmly when the girl with the magical healing powers really wants to chip in. It's also a matter of protecting her, in a way - Anne would literally show up to violent crime scenes to heal cops on her own accord before, so at least if she's working with your agency and she's going into danger, she's doing it surrounded by a gang of superpowered mercenaries who care about her and will protect her.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Kanos posted:

She still goes to school.

Anne is a bit of a special case where literally everyone says "no you don't need to do this", but her powers are so rare and useful that no one is really going to say no too firmly when the girl with the magical healing powers really wants to chip in. It's also a matter of protecting her, in a way - Anne would literally show up to violent crime scenes to heal cops on her own accord before, so at least if she's working with your agency and she's going into danger, she's doing it surrounded by a gang of superpowered mercenaries who care about her and will protect her.

Yes, if by “protect” you mean “send her into the center of the most powerful group of enemies so that when they kill her her vengeful spirit will turn them against each other.”

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sandweed posted:

Honestly I'm more impressed the devs put her in a parka instead of in a skimpy outfit.

Her idle animation is pretty creepy tho

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TBF, if Valhalla is like the US then she's probably safer in an active urban war zone than at school.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Obligatum VII posted:

Now, now, she does that in ADDITION to going to school. Sometimes her office chatter mentions school.

Ah, I stand corrected. The child solider with an incredibly rare form of magic is still enrolled in math class. :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she has school in addition to her exhausting, dangerous full time job. but well, albus has gotta rank up.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I gave her a tank build and have her walk up to the enemy out of cover.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

My favorite side mission was having Witch Anne demolish the Troubleshooter from the intro and then realise how awkward it is that a child just beat a 30-40 year old professional and utterly crushed his ego.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nephthys posted:

My favorite side mission was having Witch Anne demolish the Troubleshooter from the intro and then realise how awkward it is that a child just beat a 30-40 year old professional and utterly crushed his ego.

That mission convinced me Anne is legit the most evil person in the company.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I find it hilarious that the surname of the very outgoing, friendly guy is BLOODWALKER

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Albus is interesting in that he is very mercenary about his work, but also genuinely wants to do good, and also is willing to do whatever it takes to achieve his personal goals, but also cares and worries about his team. He does have some sense of idealism, but he know how the business works and isn't willing to be walked over. He feels like a fairly layered character. It's neat and I like it a lot.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 8, 2022

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

It really makes me wish that these guys were big enough to afford the really good localization teams.

There's some good writing in there, it's just hard to parse sometimes

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I'm not sure about the writing. I like the backstories off all the companions, and the main story well enough. But all that backstory stuff about the villains I find somewhat weird. Mostly because it just doesn't make any sense to have a continuing story for characters you kill again and again, mission after mission. Why won't anybody stay dead ?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, obviously you're not killing them?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

There's no way someone could endure being burned to death over and over

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

This is a world where Albus can just get shot in the head and nothing comes of it so I'm not too sure about that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I just chalk it up to superhero comic logic.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Look, the character designer and lore dude have a lot of time on their hands and you're going to learn everything about everyone.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you thought you were playing the lion and witch dlc to learn about the lesbians, but really it was to learn about the two PTSD clowns who are boyfriends to each other

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i demand playable hanson in the sequel, i don't care if it runs against his arc since he has finally found a life without violence again

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

One of my absolute favorite things about Troubleshooter is how much time they spend building up and fleshing out even the dumb goons you're going to beat up. You get weirdly attached to the spoonist dingus crew.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yeah, Troubleshooter establishing stories and characterizations for the human enemies and even the beasts is one of the best parts of the game. I think it all enhances the setting and world.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Troubleshooter would not remotely be the same game to me if we didn't have a fleshed out, detailed backstory for a couple packs of random timas out in the woods down to a mini-mission where you play as them.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I seem to remember someone selling the game's story as The Wire But Written in Crayon and that, to me, is beautiful

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I would love this game of it didn't have the insanely tedious crafting layer.

Give me a coupon for one random craft, maybe let me mix in one discrete thing of my choice that I need to go out of my way to acquire, don't give me 137 of the 145 parts I need and 10 different screens to check who I need to beat up to get the rest.

oh gently caress I need Super Wazoo crystals not Mega Wazoo guess it is back to punching critters for profit

It crept up on me because so much of the game is easy with mission reward gear, then for some reason they turn off that spigot and your ability to OHK goes to zero real fast.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The fact that you need to pay to identify the thing you just made is icing on that (terrible) cake. At least the gold craftables don't need to be ID'd. Only worth touching if you're waaaay behind the power curve for that item type and will be happy with anything at level since the real good stuff is red drops or a few gold things with single/set bonus. Also hyper optimization at endgame I guess

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Isn't crafting the only way to get better Kylie weapons? It sucks.

In general the game is full of redundant or barely-relevant systems (vendor reputation, items no character can use yet they are still on the loot tables for some reason, having to pay rent and salaries, crafting levels, pet keeper, identifying items, a trillion crafting mats, etc.) It's charming but somewhat grating, thankfully the game's combat and customization is just top notch so it makes up for it.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I ended up going offline and just editing my save for a billion crafting mats, because gently caress farming all that poo poo.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I ended up going offline and just editing my save for a billion crafting mats, because gently caress farming all that poo poo.
:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Azran posted:

Isn't crafting the only way to get better Kylie weapons? It sucks.

In general the game is full of redundant or barely-relevant systems (vendor reputation, items no character can use yet they are still on the loot tables for some reason, having to pay rent and salaries, crafting levels, pet keeper, identifying items, a trillion crafting mats, etc.) It's charming but somewhat grating, thankfully the game's combat and customization is just top notch so it makes up for it.

The game started out as a mobile game, lot's of those systems are from that era.