Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
You may be surprised to learn this but you can also cool your car off in the summer with remote start :smaug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

withoutclass posted:

You may be surprised to learn this but you can also cool your car off in the summer with remote start :smaug:

If you still have your cardboard from the winter you can just fan your car it doesn’t take that long to get it cool

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Arivia posted:

Honest question as someone who doesn’t drive: so you have snow tires and summer tires. If you swap them seasonally isn’t that roughly the same or better than using the same tires year round? (Like your winter tires wear out faster I’m guessing, but that’s still not wear on your summer tires and winter tires are hopefully built to be more resilient)

Why would you need two sets of part time tires? Wouldn’t you just have one in storage and one on your car at any time? Aren’t there places that store or offer seasonal tire rentals/replacements anyway?

If you lived in an area where it snows, you need winter tires otherwise you will be hosed in snowy conditions. I work in Vancouver and we just got turbo f'd this week because of a city full of summer/all-season tires and six inches of snow.

Winter tires will degrade faster in warm weather because of the rubber chemistry. So you can run winters all year round but they will go bald way faster. You can run summer tires all year round as well, but you will crash your car in winter.

Buying a second set of tires has an upfront cost, but you are effectively doubling the life of your tires (ie spreading the cost over a longer period).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
you know theres a type of car that lets you do I guess what you guys call a remote start to pre condition the car without the downside of starting a gas guzzling engine to do so...

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Tires are still technology, I'm waiting for a tech genius to try to reinvent them with smart tires that are ten times more expensive and are occasionally burst into flames.

My favorite winter tire, front wheel drive story here in DC was a surprise snowfall last year that basically snowed in tons of cars on the beltway. I felt bad, but I still had the habit of swapping tires out when the season finally hit, so my little Prius was moseying past all these stuck SUVs on my way home.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I've lived in Boston for a long time and I've never had snow tires. Cars have been Accord and Civic, never any trouble outside a bit of skidding when it was actively blizzard out there.
I think a big part is that South East New England (including greater Boston) does a great job ploughing. The roads are absolute poo poo condition but the ploughs are out an hour before the snow starts.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Morrow posted:

Tires are still technology, I'm waiting for a tech genius to try to reinvent them with smart tires that are ten times more expensive and are occasionally burst into flames.

The flames are to melt the snow and ice and get you traction against the road again. Unfortunately, we're having trouble getting them to work in cold weather. They go off all the time though if you accidentally spill a little gasoline on them though, so you can keep that as a backup plan.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Growing up in Vermont, my parents never got snow tires and just used all seasons. My wife has also managed to do fine with all seasons to commute.

The key in both instances is there was never much travel in bad weather.

On the other hand, I've gone on winter trips to Quebec, Maine, and Massachusetts. And of course in lovely, snowy weather. I can't imagine doing those trips without the snow tires on my car.

I was given a gift in August. I always get the tires changed at Costco which is always insane in the fall. I usually lose track and don't schedule until October which usually ends up with a late November/early December service, or after the third or fourth snow storm. In August I got my first ever preemptive scheduling call from them and was able to get an October install. I nearly cried.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

cardboard on windshield is one of those things that make life feel like an infomercial. there was a better way and you found it

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you know theres a type of car that lets you do I guess what you guys call a remote start to pre condition the car without the downside of starting a gas guzzling engine to do so...

As a Volt owner I do in fact have that but it still requires some form of carbon cost due to electricity coming from somewhere and, thread relevant, after 5 years the free onstar service that let me remote lock/precondition/honk my car ended and went to a paid service, forcing me to turn on my car to defrost while scraping ice like a chump.

And no I'm not going to keep my windshield clean, I'm a goon. And I don't know about any treatments but where I live there's no snow so a lot of cold weather stuff (eg chains) aren't easily available.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Thomamelas posted:

For this, if you want simple and easy then a trail camera is the right solution.

Payndz posted:

I recently got an ieGeek 2K camera (terrible name, but it seems to work just fine) because someone had got into my car twice in as many weeks. Can be set for plain motion detection or human detection. The "up to 150 days battery life" puts a lot of work on the "up to" part, mind - I got maybe a month and a half on a not especially busy shared driveway. (I did set it to use a spotlight as a deterrent rather than just IR recording, though.)

Thank you both for the recommendations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Zachack posted:

As a Volt owner …free onstar service that let me remote lock/precondition/honk my car ended
They keyfob remote start works. If your car isn’t line-of sight you can pay a little extra to go month-to-month and just get it during winter.

The Volt is the only car I ever had that I actually love, but the disgusting cramming techniques they use for OnStar left a bad feeling that hasn’t dissipated. Go GM, making me consider ignoring you for my next $35k purchase in exchange for not even getting that $15/mo recurring revenue.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Morrow posted:

Tires produce a shitton of pollution, so I'd be very cool with someone reinventing them! (Or, you know, trains)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Buses also use tires, so even if you really hate cars it's worth improving them.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Zachack posted:

As a Volt owner I do in fact have that but it still requires some form of carbon cost due to electricity coming from somewhere and, thread relevant, after 5 years the free onstar service that let me remote lock/precondition/honk my car ended and went to a paid service, forcing me to turn on my car to defrost while scraping ice like a chump.

And no I'm not going to keep my windshield clean, I'm a goon. And I don't know about any treatments but where I live there's no snow so a lot of cold weather stuff (eg chains) aren't easily available.

Wait you had to pay a monthly subscription to remoté start your car?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Alctel posted:

Wait you had to pay a monthly subscription to remoté start your car?
:capitalism:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Microsoft is looking to create X, the everything app

I'm sure that this will not be seen as anti-competitionary behaviour by USA and EU like the previous times that Microsoft has done it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

evilweasel posted:

a sheet of cardboard will not prevent frost from forming on a windshield

Don't you have these?

I'm also a bit amazed nobody mentioned block heaters (at the time of reading this post), your engine will love you and come up to heat faster and wear less. Way better than running a cold engie on idle.

Can also be coupled with an interior couppé heater so the inside is toasty and the frost just sloughs off the windows.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm also a bit amazed nobody mentioned block heaters (at the time of reading this post), your engine will love you and come up to heat faster and wear less. Way better than running a cold engie on idle.

I'm not sure if in those parts cars even have engine heaters as standard. You wouldn't need it in Florida, and even in the states that do get snow occasionally the traffic becomes impossible immediately so there's no point in being able to drive because all roads are either unploughed snow barriers or unsalted ice rinks and you also don't have studded tires. Alaska etc. are different, but it's like the difference between southern Italy and Lapland.

I just posted about this in the Musk thread when there was discussion about charging electric vehicles, so I'll just cross post.

quote:

Infrastructure is doable, in Finland this is a standard practise in all residential and workplace parking lots:

Cars don't like starting when the engine is really cold (fuel consumption may be 50% more until it unfreezes, and it wears the engine off more), so there are electric heating elements in engine that you plug into your heating pole. You can also get an electric interior warmer that heats the inside of the car when it's plugged so windows aren't as foggy and it's a bit more comfortable to start driving.

There's a settable timer so you can plug in your car in the evening so that it starts whenever is necessary for you to go in the morning - it can take several hours to unfreeze the engine in mid-winter.

Since the base infra is already there, some companies have started making conversions that would allow these to be used for charging EVs. Obviously the power requirements of an engine heater and a car charger are different but it's realistically doable without own garage.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nenonen posted:

I'm sure that this will not be seen as anti-competitionary behaviour by USA and EU like the previous times that Microsoft has done it.

Also:

quote:

Microsoft executives wanted the app to boost the company’s multibillion-dollar advertising business and Bing search, as well as draw more users to Teams messaging and other mobile services.

This has just never worked. Who the gently caress uses bing. Who even uses edge. Like edge is actually a pretty decent browsers, people still don't really uses it. There is a hell of a reputational hump that MS needs to get over and just dumping a new app out there as execs won't more money isn't going to do it.

I mean thing thing is, in the business/IT world MS has a sort of semi decent reputation now. In gaming world with stuff like gamepass, same. Possibly some of it is as a lot of other IT companies have been seemingly getting worse, but MS does seem to have a pretty okay reputation in those groups now days.

with online shopping and search and amongst average consumes, like what the hell is going to get people away from google and amazon? It's not even like they can outspend them as they both vaguely as big, but both have the advantage of specializing in those fields, and having far better reputations in them as well. Unless they have any other ideas for this other than a super generic platform this is just gonna be burning money.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Much like what Musk has been trying extremely ineffectually to do, the real endgame seems to be to make a Western version of WeChat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We had an everything-app. It was called a web browser. But companies are fleeing as fast as possible from web-accessible stuff and pushing customers into walled-off apps instead.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
And I've started to refuse installing more apps on my phone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nenonen posted:

I'm not sure if in those parts cars even have engine heaters as standard.

The vast majority of American cars do not have or need engine heaters, and if they had them, there would be nowhere to plug them in.

In Anchorage for example they are something of a luxury. There are government programs to get more heaters in cars and electrify parking spots to support them, as an air quality measure, but it’s not like vehicles won’t start without one.

Fairbanks might be the most populous American town where are majority of cars have them installed and used.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 8, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nenonen posted:

They would have to be wildly successful enough to break Google and Apple with the app to be considered for anti-trust action. Seems like it probably won't happen. Maybe Bing is just about to catch on and this does lead to Apple and Google dying, though.

Microsoft also doesn't produce their own phones anymore, so there is also less of an anti-trust angle there.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There's engine block heaters, but it's really not worth getting bent out of shape over the tiny amount of fuel used idling for 5 minutes.

RE: tirechat. If you have a truck or Subaru, all-terrain (NOT all-season) tires are the way to go for most people. They are about 80-90% as good as dedicated snow tires in snow, do well on pavement, and last pretty well. I live in a snowy area, and even for me it's not really worth it to keep two sets of tires (especially because the summer tires are going to be ATs anyway).

e: Also, if you choose one thing driving-wise to not cheap out on, it's the tires. It's the best bang for your buck with handling, safety, etc. Please buy good tires and don't drive them until metal starts showing, like many drivers in my city :negative:.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 8, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zachack posted:

If you have a remote starter your key fob should still let you remote start even without onstar, SiriusXM, or whatever other freebie service you had. :shrug:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

And I've started to refuse installing more apps on my phone.

Just started now? Buddy...

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nenonen posted:

The full thing is behind a registration wall, but the snippet available to me reads like a non-story. The lede is "Microsoft considered building a super app", not "Microsoft is going to build a super app", which suggests it was just execs tossing around ideas rather than any real plan.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

There's already an everything app, it's called a phone. You put what you want onto it. Bing bong.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s already an everything app. It’s called your brain. The apps are just things on a screen. Your brain is doing all the work.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
As someone who's lived in Sacramento all their driving live and has never driven anywhere near snow, what in tarnation are you all talking about

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Tayter Swift posted:

As someone who's lived in Sacramento all their driving live and has never driven anywhere near snow, what in tarnation are you all talking about

Don't you get a flake of snow soaking into the ground every year or two that causes every even car to smash into every odd car?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just a light, 5-minute dusting about once a decade. It does not cause accidents because everyone stops dead to go out and go "holy poo poo, it's snow!" Everyone loves those days.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
There’s already an everything app, it’s called praying to our Lord Jesus Christ. It does everything you need and never crashes.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

cat botherer posted:

There’s already an everything app, it’s called praying to our Lord Jesus Christ. It does everything you need and never crashes.

That isn't even at the minimum viable product yet.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

cat botherer posted:

fat chance you could convince me to put even an ounce of faith in the cloud

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I need a script that replaces every instance of "the cloud" with "someone else's computer"

cat botherer posted:

Only works less than 50% of the time.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mister Facetious posted:

I need a script that replaces every instance of "the cloud" with "someone else's computer"

Only works less than 50% of the time.

Zero is less than fifty, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
The snow tires thing basically requires you to have a dedicated winter car because there are very few places it instantly gets below 45F and stays there until spring and then you can't drive your car on the warm days/at low altitude where it might not have an instant hard freeze for months.