Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

PITY BONER posted:

Facebook memories reminded me that seven years ago (when I was living in China), someone screamed at me to go back to my country.
I guess it worked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

PITY BONER posted:

Facebook memories reminded me that seven years ago (when I was living in China), someone screamed at me to go back to my country.

cross-posting from D&D, but actually, only white people are racist

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 7, 2022

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
in whiplash:

https://twitter.com/Maoviews/status/1600493365157629952

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My wife's sister called this morning to say that people flying in no longer have to quarantine. No idea if this is true but I'm getting a new visa apparently.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Shumagorath posted:

I guess it worked?
Sadly, no. I hung in there for almost two more years. I was used to the abuse by then, but I remember raging more at entering a supermarket and hearing Christmas music.

The Great Autismo! posted:

cross-posting from D&D, but actually, only white people are racist
We Chinese have 56 species of peoples, but we have no black people so we cannot be racist.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

White people are allowed to perform their dances in China, as is everyone else :colbert:

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Glumly performing my bootscooting while CCP operatives film.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
It amuses me that literally the same pundits who were all "WHAT IS THE TRUE HUMAN COST OF CHINA'S ZERO COVID?" are now "WILL CHINA'S RELAXATION OF ZERO COVID DOOM MILLIONS?"

Like, my dudes, at least give it a month between the opinions.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Atopian posted:

It amuses me that literally the same pundits who were all "WHAT IS THE TRUE HUMAN COST OF CHINA'S ZERO COVID?" are now "WILL CHINA'S RELAXATION OF ZERO COVID DOOM MILLIONS?"

How else can Peter Zeihan make a buck if he doesn't have a constant stream of China doom to talk about?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Yeah, there's a reason why the markets dropped a bit when China started loosening restrictions.

It's also probably why Apple is moving some of its production to India.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Forceholy posted:

Yeah, there's a reason why the markets dropped a bit when China started loosening restrictions.

It's also probably why Apple is moving some of its production to India.

Iirc India has a big tarif, apple is gonna have a made in India phone to get around it.

PITY BONER posted:

How else can Peter Zeihan make a buck if he doesn't have a constant stream of China doom to talk about?

Peter's last video about it was less covid and more governmental and basic structural problems

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Atopian posted:

Likewise the flacks that were strident that the west was feeding millions into the charnel house and China was the only sane actor are now advancing rather more nuanced arguments about transmissability and the human cost of lockdowns etc. It's a funny flip flop.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Yep. And they're all full of poo poo.

Because, to be clear, the west *has* been feeding millions into the charnel house, and China has clearly decided to join them.

Guess we just have to get used to a world where people die ~10 years earlier.
At least we got 20% off appetisers at Applebee's.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
China Daily publishing some deep thoughts today

https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1600663957894664194

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Unless you really think we should be isolating at home three years on, it was always the case that weaker but more transmissible strains would take over that don't give a drat about vaccines or even masks.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Atopian posted:

Yep. And they're all full of poo poo.

Because, to be clear, the west *has* been feeding millions into the charnel house, and China has clearly decided to join them.

At least we got 20% off appetisers at Applebee's.

I guess Papa Xi got the College of Corporations speech or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35DSdw7dHjs

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Strategic Tea posted:

Unless you really think we should be isolating at home three years on, it was always the case that weaker but more transmissible strains would take over that don't give a drat about vaccines or even masks.

Do you think a virus can evolve to pass through an N95 mask? What physical properties would allow it to do this?

Which selection pressure makes a virus want to get weaker?

Please google "pre-symptomatic spread" before you answer

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

maxwellhill posted:

Do you think a virus can evolve to pass through an N95 mask? What physical properties would allow it to do this?

Who cares.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

MarcusSA posted:

Who cares.

Not them, apparently

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

Who cares.

Apparently almost fuckin' no-one, which is surprising, because the hospitals are full, the morgues keep filling, everything is hosed, people are getting respiratory diseases at huge frequencies because their immune systems are turned down, and yet.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Never mind the intended message, has the dude who drew this ever even seen a gun?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Why not done yet, America??

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Atopian posted:

Apparently almost fuckin' no-one, which is surprising, because the hospitals are full, the morgues keep filling, everything is hosed, people are getting respiratory diseases at huge frequencies because their immune systems are turned down, and yet.

The tech of the 2020s with the public health policy and mindset of the 1820s.

Went to go get water today. People are still masking in SH, but there are way too many surgicals. I am seeing a bit more older folks wear n95s, which is good

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Atopian posted:

In China?

Because everywhere else is mostly ok besides a bad flu / rsv season

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

In China?

The bad flu/RSV and ongoing covid is what I'm referring to, yeah.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

In China?

Define OK.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Hmm, I wonder how easy it would be to get public dancing banned

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

"Nonsense, it's an election year!"

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

maxwellhill posted:

Surely you’ve burned through your internet access quota by now, Ghislaine.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Atopian posted:

Got anything to back up that ten year statistic three years after the outbreak?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Shumagorath posted:

Got anything to back up that ten year statistic three years after the outbreak?

I am not a smart man, but I don't think you need to wait 10 years for a statistic like that. People who died 10 years early now will still be dead 10 years from now probably.

Like I know a guy who died probably 25 or so years early 5 years ago. I know that because he was 52.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Taking a charitable reading I guess he meant “some people” and not “everyone”. Because if life expectancy was down ten years across multiple countries that might have made the news…?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 8, 2022

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Never mind the intended message, has the dude who drew this ever even seen a gun?

It's from the Cyberpunk 2077 video game.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

maxwellhill posted:

They don’t need to evolve at all, they can already bypass defective or improperly worn n95s. Which is a lot of them; n95s need to seal against the skin to provide their rated efficiency, which among other things means they need to be properly sized, and men who wear them need to be clean shaven. Did you know n95s come in different sizes? If you didn’t, and your hat size is larger than like 7 1/2, odds are you haven’t been getting the rated protection. They also need the negative pressure of inhalation to fully seal, so they don’t provide their rated efficacy as source control.

N95s are probably still better than surgical masks, but how much better in non-hospital settings is still a big mystery, and they’re sure to be far from perfect even if 100% of people wear them 100% of the time they’re in public.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, there are radical differences in gun knowledge in east asia

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I forecasted at the beginning of October:

ronya posted:

For the record, it is now October and I am still on team This Year (noting that about the most bumbling thing that China could do would be a big-bang loosening in many provinces at once, given that it relies intensely on mobilizing resources between provinces to overcome its lacklustre physicians/capita and beds/capita)

I am a little surprised Beijing is lifting so many control measures countrywide at once. I expected a gradual crumbling region by region rather than a big bang. It virtually guarantees the hospital capacity overloading that would dwarf Shanghai earlier this year.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
here are the key things:

1. there is ostensibly a right to protest in china
2. despite this there is of course absolutely nothing preventing the guoanbu from cracking your skull if you protest and putting you in a black bag and whatever
3. despite this peeps protest routinely anyways
4. despite both 2 and 3, non-shitheads in government will come out and listen to protestors sometimes amd give em some material portion of what they want or an excuse or something

makes more sense when you consider protests are like 70% of the time "these fuckers stopped paying us for work, give us our goddamn paychecks". or they were at one point, lol

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
They're gonna implement zero COVID again but by then it'll be too late