Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

500 good dogs posted:

bro wtf is this

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1261004586359422979

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i had to re-read that post because i didnt think it was serious

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It's serious...just depressed. I don't know where the gently caress to start. Try to talk about labor stuff with my co-workers, not even bringing up serious stuff, just trying to get conversations going and it feels like someone speaks up about how going on strike is only hurting us.

Or Clark opens his goddamned mouth and starts going on about how Ukraine is only holding back Russia because they bought literal T-1000's from Lockheed Martin and everyone just stares at him. gently caress Clark.

So sorry if I come off as a bit broken.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

holy poo poo i hadn't heard that about T-1000s

that's a great labor base

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
you can’t start straight with WE SHOULD STRIKE, just let people complain about work and find out what the issues are.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I threw a couple grenades in my local eboard chat the other day after several people voiced the opinion that they don’t see how the railroad negotiation is relevant to us, and I kinda lost it on them. Ended with “I feel like an executive board that sees the Railway Labor Act as ‘legal’ might be a bigger problem than any of the issues we face as a local.”

You’d think that controllers specifically would hold a deep disdain for that unconstitutional fascist bullshit, but here we are.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

you can’t start straight with WE SHOULD STRIKE, just let people complain about work and find out what the issues are.

yeah, even here in commiefornia most people are uncomfortable with the idea of striking at first. you need to build your coworkers up to the idea. find issues that need to be addressed, then send a polite email to management asking for them to fix the issues, then when management doesn't acknowledge the email circulate a petition with all the workers asking them to fix the issue, then when management ignores the petition the workers can request a meeting to discuss the issue, then management will refuse to meet, etc, etc. most people seem to not believe that their boss will be one of the bad ones who will refuse to even talk until they experience it first hand. six months to a year of the boss refusing to acknowledge them over their concerns will bring anyone closer to striking.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

literally the labour party

that's somehow even worse than dems

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

kingcobweb posted:

Nah, I know not to go that fast, but there are a few people that seem to twig oddly fast about such things and jump ahead to strikes. Which is where I'm going, yes, one day, but right now I just want management to actually put fresh advil and ibuprophen into the medicine vending machine that's actually convenient.

I avoid the "strike" word and maybe try to allude to the railroad workers wanting some time off, or the Kellogs workers a while back wanting decent pay...and time off and there's just a handful of older boomers in my group that go "Well...I dunno...just feels like [doing anything to pressure management at all] would just be hurting ourselves."

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

holy poo poo i hadn't heard that about T-1000s

that's a great labor base

Yeah I got a wild Alex Jones fan and conspiracy nut to contend with my group. I've tried to talk him down from multiple conspiracies, and have, sadly, actually succeeded. The latest being "Dude! Dude! we only have five days of diesel!" For my sins I'm rewarded with the old bastard occasionally bringing me more conspiracies to try to debunk.

He's also a crotchety old bastard and thanks to him I got to watch how Amazon's inclusiveness drives conservative assholes like him to resist working together. Literally taking a dump when I hear him reading the bathroom newsletter and ranting about how he doesn't care about trans people and he wishes they'd just stop rubbing their existence in his face.

I used to try to temper him, now I keep my mouth shut and wait for the day he says something dumb where HR can hear and he'll no longer be part of my life.

And yes that's a thing: part of the reason Amazon is so progressive about LGBT things is it gets them good press. Part of the reason is the more inclusive they are the more conservative shitheads like him throw a fit at having to work side by side with people of different races, sexes, etc. There's been papers done on the effect and everything.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/starsandstripes/status/1600900513159155716

Morbus
May 18, 2004

this is what we call a "power move"

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Hello organizing goons! I just wanted to swing by again and mention that my cafe filed to unionize this weekend and thank yall for the good advice helping us get back up on our feet after getting busted last time. I hope the next time I post in here it is with news of a successful election!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Geight posted:

Hello organizing goons! I just wanted to swing by again and mention that my cafe filed to unionize this weekend and thank yall for the good advice helping us get back up on our feet after getting busted last time. I hope the next time I post in here it is with news of a successful election!

hell yeah!!! Good luck!!!!!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Geight posted:

That's awesome, great job and good luck!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Geight posted:

hell yes

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Geight posted:

:hellyeah:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Geight posted:

Congrats!

Remember though, the fight has only just begun.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Geight posted:

get👏that👏bag👏

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1603069660160737285?s=20&t=zK3bucZJBoj5DssaE9NnKw

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

:byewhore:

I mean, most obvious result ever. When you stall and stall and stall when 99.5% of your union workers are voting to strike...what do you think is going to happen? Then again I'm convinced when people get to that level of corruption they just stop thinking.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

This might be a stupid question: is there a difference between a staff association and a staff union? I work at a non-profit with a sister organization that has the former, and have heard comments about how they "sort of" have a union, but as far as I can tell there's no real legal distinction?

Semi relatedly, I got approached today and asked to talk to people in my department about getting a petition together regarding some widely disliked policies, and possibly spinning that into a push to form our own staff association/union. Wish me luck!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my local is officially called a "staff association" but is still functionally a union and we refer to ourselves as such. not sure if our case is different though.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

God speed hulk.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
sometimes i tell organizing leads to use terms like association or guild instead of union because it can be more palatable to coworkers who have bought in to anti-union propaganda

also, the nlra says “labor organization” instead of union or association or whatever, so if you’re going for recognition you can use whatever word you want

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Alkydere posted:

:byewhore:

I mean, most obvious result ever. When you stall and stall and stall when 99.5% of your union workers are voting to strike...what do you think is going to happen? Then again I'm convinced when people get to that level of corruption they just stop thinking.

:sickos:

For obvious reasons, I really hope it doesn’t come to a strike, but goddamnit you have to bargain from a position of strength, that you WILL strike if you have to. Good on them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There are definitely unions that use "association" to describe themselves. The official name of the organization matters much less than its social and legal function. If it organizes collective bargaining on behalf of the workers, it's a union.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

also all the journalists and actors pretentiously calling their unions "guilds" like they're medieval artisans

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

also all the journalists and actors pretentiously calling their unions "guilds" like they're medieval artisans

Showing up to my first guild meeting decked out in all my high level pvp gear and feeling incredibly out of place for some reason

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Well yeah, they're raiding new content and you KNEW that.

Pax Hamburgana
Mar 11, 2021
So I'm pretty desperate and I wonder if my situation makes it easier or more difficult to unionize or if it even matters at all

I work in reprographics for an engineering company. Thing is, my printing department (of just me) is its own company, but also part of the engineering company I serve. I fall under "administration" in the company at large for another task/job I do for them, but again - I'm the only one doing the repro side as well as the archival side.

I'm getting rundown from the lack of support and communication from management. I feel like I'm not being paid fairly despite taking over full-time. I'm also a huge dumbass who doesn't know the first thing about unionizing. Will I have to involve other workers in other departments, the departments I serve? Who would I contact to help me? What is to be done?

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

Pax Hamburgana posted:

So I'm pretty desperate and I wonder if my situation makes it easier or more difficult to unionize or if it even matters at all

I work in reprographics for an engineering company. Thing is, my printing department (of just me) is its own company, but also part of the engineering company I serve. I fall under "administration" in the company at large for another task/job I do for them, but again - I'm the only one doing the repro side as well as the archival side.

I'm getting rundown from the lack of support and communication from management. I feel like I'm not being paid fairly despite taking over full-time. I'm also a huge dumbass who doesn't know the first thing about unionizing. Will I have to involve other workers in other departments, the departments I serve? Who would I contact to help me? What is to be done?

i think you being a “company” of one isn’t necessarily relevant to improving your working conditions unless you’re totally siloed from the other companies/departments or whatever they’re structured as and can’t talk to your coworkers

who to contact: there may be a union already operating in your industry, and if so they might be a good option, depending on the union imo, plus a lot of unions won’t organize a workplace with say less than 50 people (unofficial number, but I hear it from other organizers) still, definitely worth looking into

another option: iww operates differently than other unions, and will organize anyone except cops or bosses. it’s totally volunteer-run and will teach you how to organize your own workplace instead of sending organizers to do it for you. the model here is called “solidarity unionism” and requires you and your co-workers to communicate together about what you want and how to get it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/josheidelson/status/1603805518992064513

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

lol I somehow didn’t hear about this. absurd stuff

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
There is a tentative agreement in the University of California student workers strike that doesn't have COLA, so the raises won will probably be eaten away by rent increases over the next few years. Hopefully it gets voted down. I understand that a union contract isn't the best vehicle to address the affordable housing crisis, but in the short term it's one of the only options to allow workers to get their basic needs met.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it doesn't have the rent-pegged cola, which sucks, but it does have 6.4% raises for the 2 years of the life of the contract, which hopefully will be at or above inflation by then. the immediate pay increases, while also not the $54k initial demand, are still pretty big.

i think it's probably going to sail through ratification similar to how the postdoc one did last week. from what i've heard, most workers seem to want to end the strike.

if anyone who hasn't been paying close attention wants to look at the details of the tentative agreements the union made a site with bullet points: https://www.fairucnow.org/ta-summary/

i can bitch about my own frustrations from the strike but idk if people want to hear it

kingcobweb posted:

lol I somehow didn’t hear about this. absurd stuff

company unions are yet another scummy union-busting tactic. like the headline says they're illegal but as always the laws binding bosses are hardly enforced

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 07:21 on Dec 19, 2022

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Little update from Iceland. We are in the middle of negotiations for the private sector (government contracts are in march next year). What could have been a moment of cross union solidarity has fallen, and all unions but mine have tentatively agreed to a poo poo raise and no demands on the government. We'll see how the members vote if they ratify or not, but we're marching on.

Our demands are 3x the raise of the other contracts along with a rent brake in the capital area and equalising the vacation days between private and public (currently private gets only 24 and public 30). The business association's tactic was to find the weakest union, sign with them, then use it as a template to force on the remaining unions. We who haven't capitulated will likely strike in the new year, and it's going to make or break the narrative of if boisterous and uncompromising people are onto something or if we're really the troublemakers without effect that the media paints us to be.

We're following the Jane macalevy concept of big and open negotiations committee, with 35-45 people at every meeting. It definitely messes with the business association, and it helps us be nimble with decisions and not fold on what members need and want. Wild times here on this tiny island, but fun to be right in the middle of it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

poopinmymouth has issued a correction as of 10:24 on Dec 19, 2022

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

poopinmymouth posted:

Little update from Iceland. We are in the middle of negotiations for the private sector (government contracts are in march next year). What could have been a moment of cross union solidarity has fallen, and all unions but mine have tentatively agreed to a poo poo raise and no demands on the government. We'll see how the members vote if they ratify or not, but we're marching on.

Our demands are 3x the raise of the other contracts along with a rent brake in the capital area and equalising the vacation days between private and public (currently private gets only 24 and public 30). The business association's tactic was to find the weakest union, sign with them, then use it as a template to force on the remaining unions. We who haven't capitulated will likely strike in the new year, and it's going to make or break the narrative of if boisterous and uncompromising people are onto something or if we're really the troublemakers without effect that the media paints us to be.

We're following the Jane macalevy concept of big and open negotiations committee, with 35-45 people at every meeting. It definitely messes with the business association, and it helps us be nimble with decisions and not fold on what members need and want. Wild times here on this tiny island, but fun to be right in the middle of it.

very nice best wishes and good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Shear Modulus posted:

it doesn't have the rent-pegged cola, which sucks, but it does have 6.4% raises for the 2 years of the life of the contract, which hopefully will be at or above inflation by then. the immediate pay increases, while also not the $54k initial demand, are still pretty big.

i think it's probably going to sail through ratification similar to how the postdoc one did last week. from what i've heard, most workers seem to want to end the strike.

if anyone who hasn't been paying close attention wants to look at the details of the tentative agreements the union made a site with bullet points: https://www.fairucnow.org/ta-summary/

i can bitch about my own frustrations from the strike but idk if people want to hear it

company unions are yet another scummy union-busting tactic. like the headline says they're illegal but as always the laws binding bosses are hardly enforced
What's up with all the poo poo flying around about different campuses being treated differently?