Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Disco Pope posted:

I refuse to charge more than $5 door and castigate people for drinking when I strap on mine.

God help you if you find anyone moshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Huxley posted:

If you're just playing by yourself, you can also tune down a fair bit. It's not uncommon for players doing solo stuff to play in D# or lower. I think I read once Ted Greene actually recorded most everything in C# standard.

i heard that he played flatwound 13s also, so that makes sense

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I had just learned the CAGED chords and how to switch strumming patterns on time at like 180 bpm and then sprained my wrist and havent been playing because of school finals. But I am healed and it is time to pick up the axe yet again....

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Dumb beginner with zero music theory knowledge question. Could some explain why there are multiple ways to play a chord? With the F, I'm obviously not yet able to play the F chord with a barre on all 6 strings on the first fret. So why is shape 5 in the below link also an acceptable F chord? I assume they don't sound exactly the same when played. Like if someone were to play Wonderwall with the shape 5 version, does it just sound less full?

https://guitardomination.net/8-ways-play-feared-f-chord-guitar-super-easy-advanced/

Or take this Reel that popped up in my feed. Why are both of these chords an Em?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/516556110383054

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

WerthersWay posted:

Dumb beginner with zero music theory knowledge question. Could some explain why there are multiple ways to play a chord? With the F, I'm obviously not yet able to play the F chord with a barre on all 6 strings on the first fret. So why is shape 5 in the below link also an acceptable F chord? I assume they don't sound exactly the same when played. Like if someone were to play Wonderwall with the shape 5 version, does it just sound less full?

https://guitardomination.net/8-ways-play-feared-f-chord-guitar-super-easy-advanced/

Or take this Reel that popped up in my feed. Why are both of these chords an Em?

Chords are just 3 notes, the root note (the note the chord is named after, in this case F), the major 3rd (in this case A), and the 5th (C). As long as you play any combination that includes at least one F, one A, and one C, you got an F chord.

If you're familiar with singing "do re mi fa so la ti do", that's a scale, specifically the major scale. You can pick whatever note to sing as "do", if you start from the note F, you're singing an F major scale. The 3rd is the note you sing "mi" on, which is 4 half tones above "do", so if you're using F. The 5th is the note you sing "so" on, which in this case is C and is 7 half tones above the "do". To find any other major chord, you can pick a different root note to start your scale on and find the 3rd and 5th notes in that scale.

Plank Walker fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 8, 2022

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

I refuse to charge more than $5 door and castigate people for drinking when I strap on mine.

Had my SG for a couple of months now and it's sweet, but think my Tele might still be my special boy, at least until I get used to that long feeling neck.

Guitar is bumming me out a bit lately - I'm bouncing off the Television and Replacements I'm trying to play, but worried I'll get in a rut if I don't push myself, but also worried that the stuff I want to play will forever be out of reach and I'll be a "guitar shop riffs guy".
A tele is also one i was thinking of getting but my lizard brain won over. This faded sg tho can be pretty twangy, so i was playing around with that for a while before succumbing and playing the angus young licks. If there ever is an emerald green sg at some point i think I would like that but in the mean time i just wanna bond with my faded red buddy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
An F major chord is more or less just the notes F, A, and C. There are 12 different notes in total, and roughly 132 notes on the fretboard so you're going to have a lot of redundancy, overlap, different places where you can play the same notes. Generally speaking, playing an F, an A, and a C together, anywhere on the fretboard, will be an F major chord. Due to what notes are repeated and the intervals between the notes you're playing, different chord shapes (or "voicings") can have slightly different vibes while being technically the same chord; even playing the same exact notes on a different part odd the fretboard can have a different vibe just because the timbre of each note will be different.

Sometimes this doesn't have too big of an effect on the final product, sometimes it really does. You can fake Brown Sugar using barre or open chords in standard tuning and it'll still be recognizable, but if you compare it against playing it in open tuning with Keef's voicing it's going to be noticeably different.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

polish sausage posted:

A tele is also one i was thinking of getting but my lizard brain won over. This faded sg tho can be pretty twangy, so i was playing around with that for a while before succumbing and playing the angus young licks. If there ever is an emerald green sg at some point i think I would like that but in the mean time i just wanna bond with my faded red buddy.

I feel a bit bad whenever I indulge in "guitars look cool" chat in this thread, but I do wish Epiphone/Gibson had some more candy or primary colours outside of cheaper epis. I like my white SG, but I'd like it more in Capri Orange or Surf Green!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

polish sausage posted:

Hello friend. I'm also deciding to run back to my favoritist instrument in all the land after giving it up to concentrate on studying programming. Now its almost 10 years later and it seems I have my third IT job lined up January so I thought I'd spice it up from my 150 dollar Epiphone les paul special for the the guitar I always wanted as a teen

Actually, What model is this? I thought it was a special but no p90s? But it has the satin finish

Is it a tribute? Where is the little crown symbol on the headstock?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

ethanol posted:

Actually, What model is this? I thought it was a special but no p90s? But it has the satin finish

Special Faded. Model before the Tribute.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

So just put some new strings on my SLS Elite and they are buzzing like crazy. I don't see many ways to adjust this guitar, the bridge is a hipshot, strings through the body so no height adjustments there, don't really see a truss rod. I did go from 10 to 9's (EB Slinkys). I hadn't played it in some time due to moving and being busy and not having time so the strings were definitely due for a change, just not sure how to adjust this one.

I assume I should just take it to a local music store to have it looked at and done correctly shouldn't I?

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

Let's get weird, but not end of BSG weird.
Apologies if this isn't allowed, but just wanted to cross post this for relevance.

I'm selling a Kemper Profiler if anyone is interested. Mainly looking to downgrade to something with fewer options because otherwise I will never stop tinkering.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019088

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Douchebag posted:

So just put some new strings on my SLS Elite and they are buzzing like crazy. I don't see many ways to adjust this guitar, the bridge is a hipshot, strings through the body so no height adjustments there, don't really see a truss rod. I did go from 10 to 9's (EB Slinkys). I hadn't played it in some time due to moving and being busy and not having time so the strings were definitely due for a change, just not sure how to adjust this one.

I assume I should just take it to a local music store to have it looked at and done correctly shouldn't I?

Probably need to raise the action up a bit(you can raise/lower the individual saddles on that bridge, fyi) and/or give the truss rod a turn. Going from 10s to 9s will do that.

This is a good quick video on doing a setup. Try and do it yourself. If you can't get it, go to a shop. But it's something everyone who plays guitar should learn to do. Just makes life easier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj-dW-REZ5Y

Malaria fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 8, 2022

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Douchebag posted:

Maybe include some pics because I'm pretty sure that guitar has a truss rod and adjustable bridge saddles.

I'm guessing here, but if there's no truss rod screw at the headstock, there's probably one after the last fret at the body. The bridge saddles probably each have 2 little screws on each side of the string for height adjustment.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

It's fixed, well 99% fixed. I watched that video (thank you for that link!) and adjusted the truss wheel at the bottom of the neck, retuned it, and while there is a very slight buzz on just the low E that stops around the 6th fret it's good for now. I need to get a kit that has the proper allen key to adjust the bridge saddle but otherwise the quick truss adjustment fixed it.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

ethanol posted:

It's a 2016 Faded T. 490R neck and 490T Bridge Pickup

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Douchebag posted:

If it's like my SLS, the truss rod is a spoke wheel. It should be between the fretboard and the neck humbucker. If you turn the wheel toward you while holding the guitar in your lap, that will allow for more neck relief, turning the wheel away from you will take relief out. And if it's a hipshot bridge, each saddle has two little tiny allen screws that raise and lower the action. I highly suggest watching some videos and giving it a go, you won't mess anything up permanently unless you do something really dumb and extreme(like turn that truss rod several full turns instead of 1/8th or 1/4 turns at a time). The worst that can happen is you can't figure it out, and you wind up taking it to get set up which you'd do anyway. After some practice(and likely some frustration as well), paying someone to do basic adjustments to your guitar will seem like basically paying someone 50 dollars to restring it for you.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

If it's like my SLS, the truss rod is a spoke wheel. It should be between the fretboard and the neck humbucker. If you turn the wheel toward you while holding the guitar in your lap, that will allow for more neck relief, turning the wheel away from you will take relief out. And if it's a hipshot bridge, each saddle has two little tiny allen screws that raise and lower the action. I highly suggest watching some videos and giving it a go, you won't mess anything up permanently unless you do something really dumb and extreme(like turn that truss rod several full turns instead of 1/8th or 1/4 turns at a time). The worst that can happen is you can't figure it out, and you wind up taking it to get set up which you'd do anyway. After some practice(and likely some frustration as well), paying someone to do basic adjustments to your guitar will seem like basically paying someone 50 dollars to restring it for you.

So yeah I did it myself. I didn’t want to mess with the saddles because I knew it was a truss issue. So I did exactly how you described it. I’ve got it to where the low E only has a slight buzz up to the 5th or 6th.

I have to dig out my Allen keys and make a slight adjustment to that string saddle and I’m good.

There is no difference in the action at all so that’s good. Glad I posted here, got advice, followed it, before trucking it over to a music shop.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
If it's still buzzing from 1-5 ish, and it didn't affect your action in the middle too much, you could probably bump a little more relief into it after you let it settle a bit.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Everyone ITT who said all those good things about Jazztones - you were right. I have the blunt-ish 205s now but might grab some of the little ones too. Just feels great

Is there a book that collects like the 20,100,200 most popular jazz standards? I thought the Real Books did this but like the 20 or so songs I'm currently interested in are spread across volumes. Do they have a competitor or is there a more focused one? I thought about maybe the bebop one but I'm also interested in like Gershwin poo poo and Ellington and swing in general

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

JamesKPolk posted:

Everyone ITT who said all those good things about Jazztones - you were right. I have the blunt-ish 205s now but might grab some of the little ones too. Just feels great

Is there a book that collects like the 20,100,200 most popular jazz standards? I thought the Real Books did this but like the 20 or so songs I'm currently interested in are spread across volumes. Do they have a competitor or is there a more focused one? I thought about maybe the bebop one but I'm also interested in like Gershwin poo poo and Ellington and swing in general

Some Real Books are on archive.org

Also for the stuff you can’t find you can buy the single songs as pdfs in real book format: usually this is just the main melody and chord changes.

Final edit: If you search Fake Book on archive.org you will get a ton of the old unlicensed fake books from the 60s and 70s. They’re probably accurate enough.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 9, 2022

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

WerthersWay posted:

This video is one of the best I've seen for laying out a simple primer for the basics of music theory. Andrew is more of a synth/producer guy but the ideas are universal to any instrument used in western music. He talks about simple chord construction around the 10 minute mark but the whole thing is worth a watch if you don't know any/much theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgaTLrZGlk0

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

a.p. dent posted:

i played on flatwound 12s for a while, it was pretty brutal

50-105 flats on the bass :(

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Coming at the end of the month, beginning of January from Firefly

30" scale, 24 fret baritone. Sounds like only what is pictured, with other colors in later runs and also 22 fret versions, which makes me wonder if only the initial run is going to be 30" or if the later ones will be different in another way. $175-225 plus shipping.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

Final edit: If you search Fake Book on archive.org you will get a ton of the old unlicensed fake books from the 60s and 70s. They’re probably accurate enough.

Ooooh good lookin out.

I was kinda hoping to pay someone to do the collating and printing and maybe put me on to some other things I don't know about yet but that would do most of that and probably about the same print cost from kinkos

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

IMSLP has a large number of american songbook sheets available as well

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

a big part of my musical collegiate education was my instruction looking thru my Real Book, crossing out the changes and says "No one plays it like this, here's the changes we play out at gigs" and then writing in the new chords in pencil

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Noise Machine posted:

a big part of my musical collegiate education was my instruction looking thru my Real Book, crossing out the changes and says "No one plays it like this, here's the changes we play out at gigs" and then writing in the new chords in pencil

lol gently caress. theres no shortcuts I guess

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

JamesKPolk posted:

lol gently caress. theres no shortcuts I guess

the only way out is through

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

how do you tell if a tune-o-matic saddle is collapsed? (aside from being totally cracked and obvious) Do they come with a tiny bit of concave arch or should they be completely flat?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Top bad, bottom good.

If it's not that bad, put a straight edge across the top and see if there is a gap in the middle. Should be completely flat across the top.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

widefault posted:

Coming at the end of the month, beginning of January from Firefly

30" scale, 24 fret baritone. Sounds like only what is pictured, with other colors in later runs and also 22 fret versions, which makes me wonder if only the initial run is going to be 30" or if the later ones will be different in another way. $175-225 plus shipping.

reverse headstock is a nice touch. looks like a hardtail bridge too? good poo poo

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
discovered something cool for other fans of Brazilian guitar music:

i wanted to learn this song Sozinho by Caetano Veloso, so i tried to find a live performance, but you can't always see the fretboard in this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvMIf_lbrZU

Turns out there are a lot of guitar lessons on youtube in Portugese, and even though i don't speak that language, i was able to get a lot out of this video just by reading the chord diagrams and tabs, and turning on the auto-translated subtitles. This guy does a fantastic job of breaking it down and explaining everything!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sEvffb1ewY

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

JamesKPolk posted:

nice. the result of my hollowbody question was that I thought long and hard about D'Addorio and Gretsch and filtertrons and then saw a AF55 on Craigslist that I was gonna go play today except it snowed

How do you like it? it seems like they're mostly pretty similar, minus the control changes.

Also considering a starcaster still but idk, I love offsets but I'm not sure I'm an offset person

So now that I’ve had my Ibanez AG75G for a few weeks are 2 main problems with the cheaper Artcore models:

1) The tuners are horrible; I’m keeping them for now, but they’re going to have to be changed. They are the worst tuners I’ve had on a guitar including 2 that were half the price of this one.

2) The cheaper ones have no case. Ibanez has a 50 dollar hollow body gig bag I’m going to pick up when I have the chance.

In the future I think I will have the pickups swapped, but they’re pretty nice as well.

Just factor in like another 150 dollars or so for new tuners and a case.

Edit:

I was curious and the only Art Core model I didn’t see with these same looking tuners was the George Benson signature. I hope the higher end models don’t have these too.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 10, 2022

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This is blogging a bit, but after getting the big sad about the guitar, it was nice to sit down, put my chorus pedal to work and learn "Come As You Are" in a couple of practice sessions. Sometimes clichés are clichés because they work.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I don't know about you but I would only trust a hollow body guitar in a hard/rigid softshell case. They're more fragile than a telecaster or strat and way more expensive to repair if they break.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Verman posted:

I don't know about you but I would only trust a hollow body guitar in a hard/rigid softshell case. They're more fragile than a telecaster or strat and way more expensive to repair if they break.

The one thing I’m worried about is the headstock, but I’m hoping it will be fine because it’s what I can afford and I’m only taking it short distances either walking or in my car.

Edit: NM I got too paranoid and am getting a hard shell case.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 10, 2022

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Does anyone have opinions on Firebird pups vs humbuckers in general?

I'm looking at hot-rodding an inexpensive guitar and want to go H/P90, but not sure what type of H.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Disco Pope posted:

This is blogging a bit, but after getting the big sad about the guitar, it was nice to sit down, put my chorus pedal to work and learn "Come As You Are" in a couple of practice sessions. Sometimes clichés are clichés because they work.

This is the good stuff OP, welcome back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Elissimpark posted:

Does anyone have opinions on Firebird pups vs humbuckers in general?

I'm looking at hot-rodding an inexpensive guitar and want to go H/P90, but not sure what type of H.

I think firebird pickups have a reputation for being kind of dull. I'd recommend filtertrons, they're bright and crunchy.