Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Anno posted:

Will say, as someone who's only DF exposure is watching a couple YouTube LPs (though I have played a bunch of Rimworld), this seems fairly approachable 5 hours in. At least to get a little thing up and running that feels decently sustainable in a peaceful ("peaceful" probably) part of the world. That's all I really want, to be honest. Messing with it from here I can understand being a sprawling set of tasks to learn, but at least it's pretty easy to get a little flag planted and your basic needs met.

I'm watching a streamer who's brand new to it and as messy as it's been he still managed to make a trade depot and attempt to trade crowns he made out of a turtle civilization he fished to death so they definitely did a good job making it approachable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

It's honestly not that hard to actually play anymore, it's just SO expansive and is all just such a complex interaction between...everything that there are situations every thirty seconds that you just never have to think about in other games. Like what to do with aquifers, or keeping on top of cleaning up blood and vomit, or burying people, or not cooking you entire seed supply, or not accidentally draining your only water source into the abyss. Locking the right doors. It's a lot to keep track of, and you're learning how it all goes together for a long time. Which I think is the fun of it! Always learning. But I'm sure some people are going to bounce reeeeeal hard

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 8, 2022

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
The Dec Humble Bundle contains two games I've bought recently. Can someone tell me about refunds? I remember there being some consequences like not being able to sell cards or something. What was that about? What other consequences are there?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Gorilla Radio posted:

The Dec Humble Bundle contains two games I've bought recently. Can someone tell me about refunds? I remember there being some consequences like not being able to sell cards or something. What was that about? What other consequences are there?

There are no consequences as far as I know, I think I've only heard of a single person who got a message to the effect of "chill down a bit with the refunds, OK?". Are you sure you're not confusing this with cards only dropping after 2 hours of playtime (which affects everyone)?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Gorilla Radio posted:

2hr minimum idling time for first card drop after a single refund. Not sure if that's still a thing or if there's any technical changes since it was first introduced.

ymgve posted:

Are you sure you're not confusing this with cards only dropping after 2 hours of playtime (which affects everyone)?
It does not. Only folks who've refunded a game before.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 8, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've always wanted to get more into Dwarf Fortress and skimmed it before and this seems perfect lol

I've always loved a lot of the ideas in it, like how it's a sequel to an otherwise inconsequential game (except it's not), and the Ages present in the game that almost don't matter except for the storytelling and world building; and as such you can force some anyway if you really want, or do it by hand, like The Age of Death or Age of Emptiness. Even weird bugs like that one hosed up infinite z level tower that broke the earth in the one game that got passed around

Just loving up so bad (or on purpose) that all sentient life ceases to exist or physics shatter completely is amazing to me

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

RBA Starblade posted:

I've always wanted to get more into Dwarf Fortress and skimmed it before and this seems perfect lol

I've always loved a lot of the ideas in it, like how it's a sequel to an otherwise inconsequential game (except it's not), and the Ages present in the game that almost don't matter except for the storytelling and world building; and as such you can force some anyway if you really want, or do it by hand, like The Age of Death or Age of Emptiness. Even weird bugs like that one hosed up infinite z level tower that broke the earth in the one game that got passed around

Just loving up so bad (or on purpose) that all sentient life ceases to exist or physics shatter completely is amazing to me

Hell, just duplicating entries in the data files can cause insane warping to the fabric of the game's universe. Ocean being replaced with nondescript meat dust, rainbow anthills...

It's amazing the ways the game has managed to break over the years.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I picked up boneraiser on a whim and yes, the writing is cringey, but i managed to actually get into it (which I didn't with vampire survivors) and it was well worth the few bux

but I don't see myself exactly being hugely into this genre(?) assuming more similar games come out

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I play with controller and the only thing I really don't like is when auto-aim starts tracking a player through a wall as I round a corner. It's pretty rare and I don't know what causes it but it feels dirty

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

goferchan posted:

I play with controller and the only thing I really don't like is when auto-aim starts tracking a player through a wall as I round a corner. It's pretty rare and I don't know what causes it but it feels dirty

Akira Toriyama announced the SAND LAND project a few minutes ago, so here’s a rad trailer made with sand art.

https://youtu.be/ZUMsxLXzmyo

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

wasn't chained echoes meant to come out a couple of hours ago

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ixion is awesome :eyepop:

Oops its 4am

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Zereth posted:

Hell, if you make the order to build the walls right away your dwarves might not even get their feet wet.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1229240/Chained_Echoes/ Anybody know anything about this game coming out in... a few hours? It looks good from the screenshots/description, but I haven't heard much about it.

on Gamepass if you have that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ixion is awesome :eyepop:

Oops its 4am

I love how mercilessly the prologue skewers wannabe techbros. You've got some Musk-proxy playing this giant egocentric overproduced promo reel about how only he has the foresight and vision to fulfill humanity's destiny among the stars, and then he promptly blows up the moon and kills 99% of humanity. :allears:

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Perestroika posted:

I love how mercilessly the prologue skewers wannabe techbros. You've got some Musk-proxy playing this giant egocentric overproduced promo reel about how only he has the foresight and vision to fulfill humanity's destiny among the stars, and then he promptly blows up the moon and kills 99% of humanity. :allears:

After just watching an LP of HZD: Forbidden West, the techbro realtalk genre is surely upon us.

Loved the Ixion demo and I'm glad to hear it's living up to that. I'll add it to the mountain of games I want to play, that's risen above the clouds while I've been playing Witcher 3.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Disco Elysium is on sale right now. If I were to buy it at this point, does any of it go to the actual devs or does that all just make it to the lovely holding company that ousted them?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Chieves posted:

Disco Elysium is on sale right now. If I were to buy it at this point, does any of it go to the actual devs or does that all just make it to the lovely holding company that ousted them?
None. That happened pretty recently and it sounds like a blatant case of fraud. Courts won't resolve the issue for a few months.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

None. That happened pretty recently and it sounds like a blatant case of fraud. Courts won't resolve the issue for a few months.

Roger. I'll put that :10bux: towards the winter sale on something else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ixion is a 4x? What sets it apart

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's basically frostpunk in space

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

zoux posted:

It's not exactly a 4x, more a survival settlement game in the vein of e.g. Frostpunk or Banished. The focus is on prioritizing fairly limited resources to care of a number of ongoing minor crises (e.g. your ship is basically constantly falling apart and requires constant maintenance just to stay together, workers will regularly suffer accidents that may disable some buildings), while also trying to build up enough capacity and redundancy to be able to tackle the next big problem. The main unique part is that it's quite story-focused. There's a distinct overarching goal you're going after (find a new habitable planet), and throughout your travels you come across a series of remains and artifacts telling the stories of the unsuccessful would-be colonists who went before you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hmmm that does sound interesting

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chronicon nerds: the dev announced a new upcoming DLC last night that adds the 5th class, The Machinist

quote:

The Mechanist
Play as the Mechanist, laying waste to your foes with high tech weaponry and machinery!
Equipped with a medium range Gun, an Axe for close encounters (or throwing!), and a Jetpack for mobility, the Mechanist is an intense and powerful class.

Satellite focus
The Mechanist has unique Tech abilities which turn Satellite enchants into powerful Drones with mounted cannons.

Wide array of skills
Fight using Axe, Gun, Saw Blade, Turret, Jetpack, Machinery, Drone, Bomb, and many more types of skills, including 5 different machine Companions.

New Runes, Items, and sets
Includes over 40 new items of Unique, Legendary, and True Legendary rarity, 20 new Runes, and 8 full sets.

4 new skill trees
Spend skill points in the physical Frontliner, the fire Pyrotechnics, the poison Bio-Tech, or the holy Mechpriest skill trees, complete with over 150 new passive and active skills, with a matching full Mastery tree.

Ancient Beasts
Fully compatible with the Ancient Beasts DLC, complete with an Expedition Tree, several unique Artifacts, and Mythical Crafting.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

gently caress man I need to get back into Chronicon.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Chieves posted:

Roger. I'll put that :10bux: towards the winter sale on something else.

Apparently they just now returned the money to the company and the case got dropped? A bit unclear what that means since I assume it was more about the controlling stake and decisions taken with it, like firing the main developers, but anyway:

Disco Elysium Case Dropped After Cash Returned To Developer

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Does Ixion eventually let you reorganize your different sections without demolishing and reconstructing? The starting clutter and pre-built tracks don't line up and dont fit well with the grid I want to build, but I don't know how much leapfrogging of storage materials I want to do in order to make it juuuuuust right :shepface:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

zoux posted:

It is not a 4X, it's a management/city builder/survival game like Frostpunk.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

-Monster Harvest
-Alwas Awaking
-Dwarfheilm
-Everybody Wham Wham
-The Divine invasion
-Dust to the end
-Super Chicken Jumper
-The lost and the wicked
-Healers Quest
-Seum
-Grotto
-Party Hard 2
-surgeon sim
-Riot
-sunblaze
-Tinytopia
-Machinika Museum
-Wayward Souls
-Retrowave

1 for $1.00/5 for $2.99/10 for $4.99

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-a...tm_medium=email

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fixed link
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-winter-bundle

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I might get Monster Harvest since it's a mixed review game that I had thought about getting but certainly not at full price

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

bawk posted:

Does Ixion eventually let you reorganize your different sections without demolishing and reconstructing? The starting clutter and pre-built tracks don't line up and dont fit well with the grid I want to build, but I don't know how much leapfrogging of storage materials I want to do in order to make it juuuuuust right :shepface:

Eventually? Idk

It bugs me that I can't just place buildings over roads and have them auto delete them, nor is there a move button.

Also the game expects me to have 250+ in the first sector and they're constantly overworked but I opened a second sector with almost nothing in it, so they should come to sector one instead of being lazy jerks who blow up buildings 😕

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

To whoever suggested Astrox Imperium a couple weeks ago, thanks! Looks great on my new system and it's really fun to play Eve without other people.

Now I've been having a weird itch for a more traditional MMO. Normally id install WoW when this hits but I think after 18 years I've finally mentally bucked that game, or at least my willingness to pay a subscription fee. Is there a standout f2p MMO people like? I played a little guild wars 2 at launch. Is that game fun as f2p with no DLC? If not, what do you like? Doesn't have to be fantasy or western art, any genre and setting is cool with me. Even anime.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

final fantasy 14 is the hottest one right now and even had a meme going around about how it's free to start

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I had fun with Lost Ark for a while, maybe you will too!

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
So my work just gave me an M2 Macbook Pro and I was thinking of getting either Battletech or Wasteland 3, which are both on my wishlist and at reasonable discounts. Does anybody have experience with this new chipset for gaming, and an opinion on these games?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Anno 1800 is now back on Steam with a nice frame-launch discount.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Still requires Uplay, right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

burnsep posted:

So my work just gave me an M2 Macbook Pro and I was thinking of getting either Battletech or Wasteland 3, which are both on my wishlist and at reasonable discounts. Does anybody have experience with this new chipset for gaming, and an opinion on these games?

don't install video games on a corporate computer

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

big cummers ONLY posted:

To whoever suggested Astrox Imperium a couple weeks ago, thanks! Looks great on my new system and it's really fun to play Eve without other people.

Now I've been having a weird itch for a more traditional MMO. Normally id install WoW when this hits but I think after 18 years I've finally mentally bucked that game, or at least my willingness to pay a subscription fee. Is there a standout f2p MMO people like? I played a little guild wars 2 at launch. Is that game fun as f2p with no DLC? If not, what do you like? Doesn't have to be fantasy or western art, any genre and setting is cool with me. Even anime.

Guild Wars 2 is very fun with no DLC, as the free-to-play base game, but if you're looking for a *truly* classic MMO you might want to look elsewhere - the gameplay includes regular use of a dodge roll with i-frames, which I know turned a lot of people off, and has an unusual (but cool) weapon system that's more like swapping movesets to fit the situation. For example, the Mesmer class can use Greatswords and Staffs as two-handers, and then for single hands can have Axes, Swords, and Scepters in the main hand, and can hold a magical focus, pistol, sword, or torch in the off-hand. Main hand weapons supply 3 of your basic 5 hotkeys, off-hands are 2 (IIRC), and two-handers are all five. But the moves that Mesmer gets with all these weapons are entirely different and separate from any other class - Mesmer's basic Greatsword attack is a channeled laser beam and not any kind of swing or chop, for example.

If that departs from the vibe you're after too much, there's always the close-to-WoW vibes of the critically acclaimed MMORPG FFXIV, which while it has a subscription fee lets you play through the entirety of the base game plus the award-winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

burnsep posted:

Wasteland 3 is in the Humble Choice for this month for $12, and you also get Greedfall, Backbone, TOEM, Blade Assault, Where the Water Tastes Like Wine and Super Magbot. Although only Wasteland 3, Backbone, TOEM, and Where the Water Tastes Like Wine have Mac versions.