Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

QoL request:

Sort containers by their contents, not their materiel.

Like when I send bins to the trading depot, its a drag to scroll through the list of peach bins, willow bins, apple, nether cap, bamboo, beech, oak, redwood, ikea MDF, tin, etc for all the Finished Goods Bins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Arrath posted:

QoL request:

Sort containers by their contents, not their materiel.

Like when I send bins to the trading depot, its a drag to scroll through the list of peach bins, willow bins, apple, nether cap, bamboo, beech, oak, redwood, ikea MDF, tin, etc for all the Finished Goods Bins.

You could sort them by total value of contents previously and that seems to be gone.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

is there a trick to getting prepared food into barrels? I have dozens of barrels but these dummies won't pack up the food.

e. also wow. playing DF in bed on a steamdeck is something I never imagined.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 8, 2022

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A bunch of migrant waves arrived, and I suddenly found myself with an elected mayor. He wasn't doing much of use, except mandating the production of battle axes and millstones. I've found plenty of iron, so they weren't troublesome, and battle axes are useful to have either way.
But I figure I should try that thing with designating an object as the symbol of a position, so I pick a decently decorated battle axe as the symbol of the Mayor. It's a regular axe, but it gets a name now: Onolthimshur, "The Mountainous Partner".

Fast forward a bit, and suddenly a troupe of 10, mixed humans and dwarves, arrive, and demand I hand over this Mountainous Partner, because it rightfully belongs to them???
Uh, no.
So I send out my militia to deal with them.
What a shame that the mayor was right in the middle of the invaders when I refused them. Guess I need a new mayor now.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

madmatt112 posted:

https://twitter.com/tanyaxshort/status/1600498821422878720?s=20&t=5-sTvOaQeIX3c6-cMo-yiA

Just imagining Werner Herzog having mastered Dwarf Fortress, and pumping out batshit-insane stories of mothers wearing battle-babies.

just sharing this because i like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQLInlnfWUc

failing is fun!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Since the music files are just ogg files in folders in the game, how hard would it be to mod in extra tracks? Does anyone know if the game picks them randomly or based on some factors?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

madmatt112 posted:

https://twitter.com/tanyaxshort/status/1600498821422878720?s=20&t=5-sTvOaQeIX3c6-cMo-yiA

Just imagining Werner Herzog having mastered Dwarf Fortress, and pumping out batshit-insane stories of mothers wearing battle-babies.

"We were unafraid, it was not a substantial bolt"

e: I believe Herzog has already had the DF experience based off this clip from the making of Fitzcarraldo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PAsYkrEwjM&t=120s

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 8, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

just had 3 children and a dog kill a 400-year-old minotaur. well mostly the dog, the children got crippled for life until the dog came charging in and latched onto the minotaur's head and neck, prompting it to immediately fall unconscious and bleed out as the dog continued to savage it for about 10 more combat rounds

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jazerus posted:

just had 3 children and a dog kill a 400-year-old minotaur. well mostly the dog, the children got crippled for life until the dog came charging in and latched onto the minotaur's head and neck, prompting it to immediately fall unconscious and bleed out as the dog continued to savage it for about 10 more combat rounds
Good dog

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/3631620553383117111

quote:

Update Notes for 50.02 (Dec 8)

Major bug fixes
(*) Fixed crash from compressed menu lists (e.g. workshop assignment) on widescreen default settings
(*) Changed init option for interface pixel width to be a percentage (to fix many widescreen menu issues)
(*) Stopped fishing from hugely amplifying creature agitation in the wilds (zeroed general agitation level in old saves)

Graphics additions/changes
(*) Improved images for planned walls, floors, and fortifications
(*) Updated doors, hatches, chests, and other containers so that palettes will affect handles and other add-ons if the mods desire it, but made the default behavior consistently not palettize these add-ons
(*) Missing occupied animal trap images included

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

e: ^ well most of my random deaths have been to random giant agitated wildlife so this might make it easier lol

I don't know if I'm just getting lucky or just cheesing it but I have a bunch of cage traps around my entrance staircases. The only were-thing that showed up is now sitting in a cage (that I put in my general temple because why not). Same with a couple goblin thieves. Also caught some crows and eagles which I figured out how to train, so they are now also guarding the outside while chained up.

It's not all smooth sailing. I did have my two fisher dwarves die in an agitated giant crow attack, along with a few other dwarves while I sounded the alarm call to try to get them inside and get the military to deal with it. Made a squad of marksdwarves after that. Also one of my starter 7 that I had named after a friend died later to a giant wombat attack as well. At least unlike the fisherdwarves whose bodies rest at the bottom of the river, his body was actually recovered and put into a casket.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Okay real talk, hands down my favorite new QoL feature is the ability to repaint existing stockpiles and zones. It makes expansion so much easier, because I no longer need to make entirely new zones to replace smaller ones, I can just make it bigger! What I would love even more would be the ability to export and import global (accessible from every save) stockpile profiles. I like to keep a bunch of very specific stockpiles close to their related workshops: fiber crops near the textile industry, aboveground seeds near the surface farms, underground seeds in the depths, etc, and being able to save and load stock profiles would go a long way towards making that quick and easy to set up. I know DFHack has such a feature, so I expect to see it again sometime soon!

authwiggidywack
Oct 29, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Since the music files are just ogg files in folders in the game, how hard would it be to mod in extra tracks? Does anyone know if the game picks them randomly or based on some factors?

I read that there are a few 'triggers' to change the sound track (winter is one I remember). I'm not sure if there is an internal list of songs or if it just plucks from the directory.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Neurion posted:

Okay real talk, hands down my favorite new QoL feature is the ability to repaint existing stockpiles and zones. It makes expansion so much easier, because I no longer need to make entirely new zones to replace smaller ones, I can just make it bigger! What I would love even more would be the ability to export and import global (accessible from every save) stockpile profiles. I like to keep a bunch of very specific stockpiles close to their related workshops: fiber crops near the textile industry, aboveground seeds near the surface farms, underground seeds in the depths, etc, and being able to save and load stock profiles would go a long way towards making that quick and easy to set up. I know DFHack has such a feature, so I expect to see it again sometime soon!
my favorite is just being able to hold middle mouse to make small 'camera' adjustments, tbqh

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is it safe to increase my starting zone to 4x4 or whatever if i have a pretty good rig

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Super No Vacancy posted:

is it safe to increase my starting zone to 4x4 or whatever if i have a pretty good rig

Yea

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Squiggle posted:

Man, this dwarf rules. A rusty surgeon, meditating on torture after drinking his loneliness away
Meditating on torture while disdaining truth, no less

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If gang tags are still being given out, I wouldn't mind one replacing my "I want nothing" tag.

The first time I was playing DF was just after Boatmurdered; I was working third shift at a local retail store. The other workers and I went to Denny's after our shift and I spent most of the time drawing out a fort I wanted to try, on a sheet of paper. Not very interesting.

One fort about 8 years ago I embarked and whoops there was a hole on the surface of the planet directly to Hell and the instant I unpaused the "fort" was engulfed by demons. I made a post about it somewhere in a previous thread but I don't know how to search those. Probably also not very interesting.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Decon posted:

You could sort them by total value of contents previously and that seems to be gone.

You can do this on the trade menu still, it's the button in the top right.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Hey I had a few random questions that weren't clear to me from the wiki if anyone can help.

How do you decide how much food/drink you need or how much to plant? What kind of work orders do you guys like for things like the still and kitchen?

Am I correct that things like a tavern are just a meeting area zone with specific furniture?

How do you guys design stairs? I thought you could I ony go up/down 1 z level but I tried multiple z levels and it worked with a different graphic. Should I be making 1x1 stairs or is there any advantage or disadvantage to certain stair layouts?

And finally, wtf do I do with all these shells? I have a work order to produce shell crafts on repeat, and I even gave away a huge amount to the first caravan but it didn't make any noticeable dent in my supply. It's like I get rid of 1 shell and 3 more take it's place. They don't even store them in a sack!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how does a dragon develop a grudge against a settlement

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Stairmaster posted:

how does a dragon develop a grudge against a settlement

ask Smaug

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
chuuni elf: oh i'm uh, NECALO CRAZYTYPHOON, yeah!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Atoramos posted:

Quoting to find this later

Edit: aw, no gang tag? Guess I need a better story than my repeated failure to dip into this game

Gangtags will still be assigned in exchange for cool dwarf stories for the next little while, just needs one of us to sit down and manufacture them in the workshop out of goat veins and plump helmet spores or w/e. There's the op - so far I have the widescreen crash tip(just got fixed in a patch!), the pause mod, and one other I can't remember; scamtank if you have thoughts on what would be useful steam df version specific tips then feel free to do it first.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Crap another wereskink attack. That's what I get for making this new Fort just down the river from the last one.

I lost a child, my militia commander, and a random bone carver (naturally he was high skilled)

Also wounded, my other squaddie and a legendary bowyer. Into the 'hospital' on an isolated floor they go, with several locked doors and traps leading back to my stairway.

I hope the human caravan leaves before the next turning...

authwiggidywack
Oct 29, 2013

Xinlum posted:

How do you guys design stairs? I thought you could I ony go up/down 1 z level but I tried multiple z levels and it worked with a different graphic.

From my understanding a single staircase spanning multiple z-levels is absolutely fine for quite a while. I haven't had many big fortresses but i imagine if you have a lot of dwarfs going into it, you'll have some traffic slowdowns.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xinlum posted:

Hey I had a few random questions that weren't clear to me from the wiki if anyone can help.

How do you decide how much food/drink you need or how much to plant? What kind of work orders do you guys like for things like the still and kitchen?
Three 4x5 farm plots is probably enough for 200 dwarves. Use automated work orders to keep drink stocks at a high enough level.

Xinlum posted:

Am I correct that things like a tavern are just a meeting area zone with specific furniture?

You need to designate it as a Location with this button when the zone is selected.

Xinlum posted:

How do you guys design stairs? I thought you could I ony go up/down 1 z level but I tried multiple z levels and it worked with a different graphic. Should I be making 1x1 stairs or is there any advantage or disadvantage to certain stair layouts?
Single-tile stairwells and single-width hallways are generally really problematic for pathfinding and slows movement down because everyone has to duck/move aside to let others pass. At the very least make your stairwell 1x3 or 2x2.

Xinlum posted:

And finally, wtf do I do with all these shells? I have a work order to produce shell crafts on repeat, and I even gave away a huge amount to the first caravan but it didn't make any noticeable dent in my supply. It's like I get rid of 1 shell and 3 more take it's place. They don't even store them in a sack!

Put down another crafting workshop or two, or disable fishing in the Labor menu for a while.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

My application for the gang tag is the name of my second embark:

Erluk fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 8, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

nielsm posted:

Three 4x5 farm plots is probably enough for 200 dwarves. Use automated work orders to keep drink stocks at a high enough level.

I've set mine at "less than 50 drinks, craft 80" and it seems to be holding so far. Same for meals.

I have things like doors, beds, etc to under 5/craft 12 (I expand my bedrooms by the dozen) What kind of thresholds do others do for work orders?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

another trick i would include in OP is making inn next to stairs.
if any nasties come around there is high chance that it will result in bar brawl instead.
however keep in mind that you need to set traps inside the inn just incase one of em is a were creature.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Skyl3lazer posted:

You can do this on the trade menu still, it's the button in the top right.

:nice:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a way to place an object and have it mine out the rock required to fit it automatically? I'd love to be able to stamp out workshops into stone and have it auto-mark everything for mining. Assuming not but figured I'd ask since there's a lot about this poo poo I don't know about yet.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, my God. I just started watching Nookrium's tutorial and I was doing everything wrong from moment 1. How, you may ask? I started my fortress on the plains, not the mountains. Which is why I couldn't dig an entrance tunnel because no mountains. I was avoiding the mountains because they said no trees.

Headdesk. All those sad little dwarves, wandering around going "Thorkir Not Like Green Stuff" and "Why Egil's Life So Shallow"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEt87BikHzA (this might go in OP?)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm gonna try and set up plumbing AND military for my first time ever in dorf fort. Wish me luck.

Also I'll get in on a gangtag.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Monathin posted:

I'm gonna try and set up plumbing AND military for my first time ever in dorf fort. Wish me luck.

Enjoy your dampened wrestlers

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Monathin posted:

ok, gonna do a gangtag run - but it does require some kind of dwarf story! no rewards without industry.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i been wanting a gang tag as soon as they were started getting handed out... but i been waiting for the perfect story like the sweet lil angel i am

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yeah the graphics are pretty but when youre zoomed out theres a lot of noise going on. plus the ascii-on-black is comforting in letting you visualize things, but, im probably insane after playing df for too long

swinging back into the game tho im sort of remembering the stuff that annoyed me most, mainly, that id love to be able to make production a bit more in depth and overall difficult, and to make all the cool minecart things actually have a point by just not letting dwarfs haul boulders around at all, and to make it so dwarfs maybe have to eat more than one mushroom a year, but you cant actually mod any of that stuff at all. oh well. it always feels goofy to just build an entire fortress in five years and to have it cap out on population solely from migration, but, you also cant do much to mod the time scale stuff either. but if you wanted to have all your guys made of literal golden eggshells you can do that.

the biggest downside to new graphics are the dreams. when playing the old one for hours before bed,. I'd usually end up dreaming dwarf fortressy things. Sometimes even hallucinate it a little bit. Doesn't happen with this new version, your imagination doesn't need to be as activated to follow the action.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Why are there so many cats? I can't stop the cat tide. I guess I know what I have to do... at least we'll have some meat to break up our fish-stew based diets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, my God. I just started watching Nookrium's tutorial and I was doing everything wrong from moment 1. How, you may ask? I started my fortress on the plains, not the mountains. Which is why I couldn't dig an entrance tunnel because no mountains. I was avoiding the mountains because they said no trees.

Headdesk. All those sad little dwarves, wandering around going "Thorkir Not Like Green Stuff" and "Why Egil's Life So Shallow"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEt87BikHzA (this might go in OP?)
Plains start can work out but you gotta get down. Also you really really really want to build a stockade around your poo poo asap.